Spider-Man 4 Dropped? Franchise Reboot Instead?

Posted by G-Man (30689 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pretty crazy.  We've been hearing all the problems over the script for Spider-Man 4.  The latest word is...Sony has decided to scrap it.  Deadline Hollywood has confirmed that Sony Pictures has decided to reboot the franchise.  Say it with me, "whoa!"

I guess Sam Raimi decided to pull out.  Apparently he told Sony "I can't make your date.  I can't go forward creatively."

Sony will be focusing on a 'reboot script' by Jamie Vanderbilt with a new director and a new cast.  I'm sure that will make a few people happy.  What do you think about this?  Now who can we expect in the next movie?  I guess John Malkovich won't be playing the Vulture.

Is it too early to start thinking about who should be cast this time around?

Update:

Sony has stated in a press release that Peter Parker will be going back to high school.  The movie will hit theaters in the summer of 2012.  The new story will deal focus on "a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises." 
Staff
#1 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF! Sony needed to just but out and let Raimi do his thing. I hope that doing a reboot with allow better casting, but Raimi was not to blame for the flop of Spider-Man 3.

#2 Posted by NagolNuff (2493 posts) - - Show Bio

thank goodness!

unless they mess it up too /./

#3 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

this could be good maybe they won't kill off villians

#4 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

NICE FACE, SPIDEY!

#5 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa???  REALLY?!   

G-Man, isn't this what a lot of people have been clamoring for?  Is it possible?  Is this another Internet rumor?  I can't wrap my head around this one.   Please, please let this be true!!!!!!!!!!!

OH, please, please let this be the case!  Anyone other than those involved would be golden.  Who were those young actors attached to the Spider-Man musical?  (forgot the horrid name of that one).  They would be great casting choices!!!!! 

@G-Man:  You could not have chosen a better picture!!!  BWaa Haa Haaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
#6 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@reaper2923: Villains will still die in the movies. Unlike Comics, in movies there is no need for the villain to return so they can die.
#7 Posted by Final Draft85 (114 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! I was just telling my friend at work that they should reboot the Spider-Man series, because how lame the third film was & did not want to see the Vulture as the new villain. Glad Harry won't be dead anymore.
#8 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww,
it will be a shame.   :(
but I am happy with the reboots. Because it let's people see the mistakes they made with the last movie and give them a chance to stick to the comics.

I hope they use the cast from the Spiderman Musical 
Like;
Reeve Carney as Peter Parker/Spiderman

& Evan Rachel Wood as Mary-Jane Watson.

oooooo, I'm excited.
#9 Posted by creole (229 posts) - - Show Bio

ha, maybe the "BLACK CAT"  will show up in the reboot.
#10 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a dream come true for me.

#11 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow...re-boot,eh? I hope that the new cast doesn't suck.

#12 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

wow whered this come from...like out of no where
#13 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if he'll get web-shooters this time.

#14 Posted by babynaka2001 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@ creole: yea i forgot about her, i would love to see black cat FINALLY!...maybe this is good....(cue evil laugh) mahahaha.....(choke)....nevermind lol
#15 Edited by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Reboot???? whhhuut....Sam Raimi leaving??? oh dear 

well....as long as Black Cat is in the next film i will forgive.
#16 Posted by KingLoki (390 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!

#17 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4654 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT?.... WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 Posted by wordchallenge (151 posts) - - Show Bio

This is could be a good thing.

#19 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7595 posts) - - Show Bio

I find reboots a bit ridiculous, why don't they just recast and keep a vague sense of continuity going would that be so hard to do?

#20 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'd prefer a reboot. I might actually see that. Providing they get the characters right.

#21 Posted by pentagram (312 posts) - - Show Bio

ummmmmmmmm..................................o..........k?!

#22 Posted by Mutant X (1543 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
"Aww,
but I am happy with the reboots. Because it let's people see the mistakes they made with the last movie and give them a chance to stick to the comics.

Like;

oooooo, I'm excited. "

That's horrible casting. Lol. 

This is great news. Hopefully it won't take too long to get all this rolling.
#23 Posted by G-Man (30689 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: It was fate.  I actually came across this picture early at random.  I thought, "Hmmm...maybe I'll hang on to this one for the future, just in case."  It simply was meant to be.
Staff
#24 Posted by k4tzm4n (36474 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry, but  I for one see this as great news.
Staff
#25 Posted by jCurwen (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be up for an Amazing Spider-Man movie in the same vein as Incredible Hulk.  I just think it's too soon to go back and start at the beginning. 

#26 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

Jared Leto as Spider-Man 
Megan Fox as Mary Jane 
Michael Madson as Mysterio 
#27 Posted by camodude (193 posts) - - Show Bio

okay now this is crazy news!

#28 Posted by KCsuperman09 (266 posts) - - Show Bio

yes now all they need to do is call it the amazing spider man. and have the charters resemble to cheaters in the comic.....let spidy crack his jokes when he fights his dad guys.....

#29 Posted by NightFang (9907 posts) - - Show Bio
WTF!!!!
#30 Posted by Chane (539 posts) - - Show Bio

yawn. high school peter again. so last decade.

#31 Posted by k4tzm4n (36474 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost said:
"Aww,

Like;

oooooo, I'm excited. "

Or, they could try to stick to the comics and have GWEN STACY his first love ;)
Staff
#32 Posted by buns134 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! hopefully no more bad actors

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (36474 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
"Jared Leto as Spider-Man Megan Fox as Mary Jane Michael Madson as Mysterio  "

Please tell me you're kidding.
Staff
#34 Posted by The Crimson Nutcase (813 posts) - - Show Bio

Something tells me the reboot will suck as well... 
Hopefully im proven wrong...

#35 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

Somehow I still think this is just a rumor. It just doesnt sound right.
#36 Posted by kukheart (12 posts) - - Show Bio

SP 1 was too preachy, SP 2 was good, SP 3 was too over the top, i feel its incredibly stupid to reboot though, who wants to see a 2 hour movie with probably the first hour being another origin story?  It's like saying rebooting the Batman franchise after Nolan makes the third one, which he will

#37 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope a good, dedicated director takes over. (:
Maybe Tim Burton? I'd like to see his dark-tone unleashed on the franchise. I loved Batman Returns.  Or maybe M. Night Shyamalan? 

#38 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mutant X said:
" @AngelFrost said:
"Aww,

Like;

oooooo, I'm excited. "
That's horrible casting. Lol.  This is great news. Hopefully it won't take too long to get all this rolling. "
:O How dare you!
it's a good casting. Alot better than Tobey and Kirsten. ¬_¬
#39 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@AngelFrost: I think we can all agree that a Dark tone is not what Spider-Man needs...

#40 Posted by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

yay no more Dunst!
#41 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody:  But Spiderman 3 failed at being 'dark'.  ¬_¬  it went completely past dark and into 'Emo'.
#42 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

they could use the reboot to tie in with the other avengers films
just a thought

#43 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@hdorman1 said:
" they could use the reboot to tie in with the other avengers films just a thought "
No they can't. The Avengers film is being done by a completely different film company.
#44 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio
@kukheart said:
"SP 1 was too preachy, SP 2 was good, SP 3 was too over the top, i feel its incredibly stupid to reboot though, who wants to see a 2 hour movie with probably the first hour being another origin story?  It's like saying rebooting the Batman franchise after Nolan makes the third one, which he will "

I would have to agree. the spiderman movies were not the best movies but they were still pretty good and they did his origin fairly well. I just don't want some stupid gay guy to play spiderman like hmmmmmmmmm Zac Efron. I actually thought tobey macguire wasn't too bad.
#45 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @hdorman1 said:
" they could use the reboot to tie in with the other avengers films just a thought "
No they can't. The Avengers film is being done by a completely different film company. "
would be cool though
and if it was a big enough money earner the studios would do it
#46 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicCrazy:  Grrr. Tobey was soo annoying  ¬_¬
#47 Posted by Overguardian (88 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to be rather glad about this. I didn't care for any of the films. Bad casting, bad scripts, horribly cheesy. 
Can Spiderman actually make jokes this times?    

#48 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa this sucks

And I'm getting tired of all these reboots too- Like Hulk and Batman needed it but not Spider-Man or Fantastic Four.

But if they want to cast someone new I vote for Milo Ventimilgia from Heroes - I always thought he looked like Parker. 

#49 Posted by danhimself (22308 posts) - - Show Bio

That's so freaking great!!!!!  Now maybe if we're lucky Marvel/Disney will get the rights back so we can get a good Spider-man movie

#50 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain:  Oooo, good choice! :D I love Milo.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.