Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

'Spider-Man' 4 Delayed

• 54 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Another report that the film has been pushed back

No Caption Provided

It was only a few weeks ago that we got wind of the news that the upcoming Spider-Man 4 movie was put on hold indefinitely, and while the big wigs at Sony did deny the rumors, the folks over at Deadline Hollywood reinforced this fact today after they released an e-mail that had been sent out to the Spider-Man visual effects crew on December 11th.

Hey there--
    We were just notified that our schedule is pushing. We will NOT be starting as planned. I'm terribly sorry for this news, and I hope this email reaches you in time to find other options. We do not know how long we are pushing, and we will not know until mid-January. By mid-January, we will be told how long the push is, whether it be 2 weeks, 2 months, or something else. The studio has every intention of making the movie, but we no longer have a confirmed start date.
    Again, I'm terribly sorry, but Sam Raimi has story issues [that] need to be resolved before we are ready to shoot.
    Feel free to call me if you have any questions.
    VFX Team

According to the report by Deadline Hollywood, the primary conflict seems to be the disagreement between Director Raimi and Sony on what the primary villains should be in the upcoming Spider-Man movie. According to the article, Raimi wants to cast John Malkovich as 'The Vulture,' which we reported earlier. At the rate that production on the film seems to be going, it does not seem as though Spidey fans will be seeing the web-slinger on the big screen come May 11th, 2011.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Agent Buttons
    bummer >:-|
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Is it just me or does that quoted email seem like a fake?  Seems so informal.  

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

D=< WTF!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4  Edited By No_Name_
    @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    " Is it just me or does that quoted email seem like a fake?  Seems so informal.   "
    What do you mean? I start all e-mails to my employees with the phrase "Hey There"
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Martian

Sony needs to but out and just let Raimi do his thing. Otherwise we'll get another Spider-Man 3.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Well real or not I see this as only a good thing, so long as the knock out an improvement on 3 they can take as long as they like.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

How about we just let it die? It wasn't even that good PRE-Spider-man 3.  

Everyone's like "Spider-man 2 was amazing!" .... you kidding? It was boring. Probably because all the actor choices sucked.  

Spider-man 1... was just okay. 3 was a travesty.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@Red L.A.M.P. said:
    " Is it just me or does that quoted email seem like a fake?  Seems so informal.   "
    agreed. they didnt even refer to him as Sam, or Mr..Raimi.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Marshal Victory

"Hey there-- " 

um how long does sony have the option on spider man?could this delay "fake" or real could play in to the mouses hands!resisting the urge to Buwahahaha! atm.

Deadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10  Edited By Deadstroke

Sam Raimi having story issues? That probably means the studios are forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do.....we all know how that ended up... 

Timm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Timm

he's trying to do vulture... they probably want to do carnage.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Decept-O

One would assume information pertaining to when a paying job starts would contain a lot more specific information than what is presented in that "email".  Also, red flags raised because of the way it was written as Red L.A.M.P. pointed out.  First thing that popped in my mind that's for certain.   

If it is true, I'm kind of like, "Eh, who cares anyway?"   Let's just get to the other Marvel properties and forget about Spidey for awhile.  Much as I love the character, and want good movies, I'd rather invest time and $ on the movies lining up towards The Avengers.
    MannAlive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MannAlive

i could live my whole life without seeing a live action Vulture on screen.  one of my least favorite villians of all time.  Sony is absolutely right to balk at the idea. 

i love me some Raimi, but if he insists on doing a Vulture story, he may as well add nipples to the Spidey-suit while he's at it.
    OhTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OhTru
    @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    Not at all, they are "artists" some fx people can barley speak, they can sculpt, animate, they can draw wonderful, do CGI, paint....they all do it fantastic 
    but writing a formal letter would not be one of their strong points
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icon

I must have a dirty mind, but that pic makes it look like Spidey is 'getting it' from Greenie..

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bruce Vain

hurm
    Avatar image for emerald_lamp_2814
    emerald_lamp_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

@Icon:
    lmfao
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Gothic Storm

I guarantee that this is all due to the whole "Who will the villain be?" If they would just let Sam Raimi take his time (which is what it appears they are doing) and then give him FULL concept rights to this movie it will be another blockbuster! Sam wanted to take it slow with Venom, but Sony pushed for Venom to be in part 3. Given this drawback, Sam can use the time to develop a villain (or villains) and create a story that will captivate us. The problem with most superhero movies is the studios rush production (example: SM 3 and Wolverine). 

I personally would love to see Kraven introduced and the Lizard make an appearance finally! Peter is put in between the two and has to make a sacrifice in saving the life of his favorite teacher and friend. Break it up into two movies and you can introduce Black Cat as well... Leading into the 5th with a fiery relationship between Spidey and Cat. Sorry, MJ!

Robin 47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Robin 47
    @Babs:
    Ya I agree, it dose sound a little fake and saying Hey There is a little diffrent.
    Robin 47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Robin 47

I WANT CARNAGE!! IF THAT GUY WANTS VULTURE THEN HE SUCKS!!! AND IS NO FRIEND OF MINE!!! CARNAGE FOR EVER!!! 
    jacobyLIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jacobyLIVE
    @Timm: Raimi said he won't do Carnage. The vulture is sooo lame. I want Carnage. It'd be so cool to see Carnage vs Spider-Man and venom. 
    Avatar image for amazingspidermike
    AmazingSpiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me personally I'd rather get quality than quantity. I took 12 years for Avatar to come out and it is making some huge bank. So Sam stick to your guns and don't listen to the people at Sony! Remember what happened last time!!!!

Hint: Spider-Man 3

Timm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Timm
    @jacobyLIVE said:
    " @Timm: Raimi said he won't do Carnage. The vulture is sooo lame. I want Carnage. It'd be so cool to see Carnage vs Spider-Man and venom.  "
    Vulture has a more interesting story and a more interesting power-set.
    wadey wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wadey wilson
    @MannAlive:
    I'm sure joel shumacher would announce as director if that ever happens
    jacobyLIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jacobyLIVE
    @Timm: I think The Vulture would be interesting as like,a side-villain. But I don't think he could hold up as the primary villain. 
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @Red L.A.M.P.: 
    Well, this email reads more like an interoffice memo and not some official statement. I do see what you mean. Some parts do seem a bit too informal and more 'forum chat'.

Still, if they are serious about some of these rumored changes, i.e. Felicia Harding being 'Vultress', this series can say goodbye to any of my money. I wont even watch it on DVD. What is the point in basing a movie off a comic when you aren't even going to base that characters right? I understand changes often need to be made, but that's crossing a line when you are making up characters for a movie.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mbecks14

Thank god!

LET IT DIE!!!

Gank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gank

I'd rather they hold off and delay things to get a better story together rather than rush into it and turn out another bad flick like Spidey 3.  

The Vulture, as he is in the comics, is just not really an exciting villain. All he has is a pretty cool name - and that's just about it. He does have potential though. But they'd have to do a serious revamp on the character...

Rabbit Tots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rabbit Tots

At least the comic blockbuster will now be battleing with The Green Lantern and Deadpool films at 2011. I can wait.

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Blackestnight1
    @InnerVenom123: Spiderman 1 was more than OK it was good. It could have been better but it was a good film. I saw it twice. But I like all superhero films. 

I'm just mad that they chose such wimps for actors. It's just like the auditioned for Bruce Wayne in Batman and we ended up with two heart throbs George and Val who were great for Wayne and SUCKED as Batman. They never should have auditioned  for Parker, they needed to cast for Spiderman, witty, strong, flexible etc.  The secret identities are secondary. Plus if they read the comics they'd know that Parker is not a wimp or introverted.

The guys playing Spiderman and Venum are these tiny little people. Brock was supposed to be big. And Spiderman is not so small either. The only role I really liked was J Jameson. They had him down pretty well, and the first Green Goblin wasn't bad either aside from the power ranger's mask. BUt Sony's side was good. The special effects were good, CG was good. All that hurt was the choice of actors. People will poo poo that but I don't care. It's a super hero movie. There is a 5 10 and up rule and you have to lift at least your own body weight. It would be like picking an ugly chick to play a super model. Oh wait...
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Caligula

I actually agree with Raimi here, I think the Vulture is a great way to go. another great option that no one ever brings up is a side villain, i'm thinking Shocker, Rhino, or Scorpion mabye. 

and yes the e-mail yells fake.
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Midnightist

Can you say "development hell" I don't really mind the delay so much as at this point they need to stop screwing around and pick. I myself am having a hard time figuring out who I want to see in SM4 but i know i don't want Vulture and Carnage is no good without bring Venom back which would just suck. Honestly at this point Lizard is maybe there best bet but I think the character that makes the most since is Hobgoblin all the others just wouldn't make a good movie to me but Rami knows Lizard is his best bet.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Dark Cell

They should Let  Raimi do what he wants, we know it works when he gets what he wants and dosent when he dosent get what he wants 

......Hope Black Cat's In it XD    
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By drawme

That´s not good...

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Dark Cell
    @Robin 47 said:

"I WANT CARNAGE!! IF THAT GUY WANTS VULTURE THEN HE SUCKS!!! AND IS NO FRIEND OF MINE!!! CARNAGE FOR EVER!!!  "

The problem with Carnage is hes a homicidal maniac, I dont think the stuidio would make a faithful carnage (the one u clearly know and love) because they aim this film to be both accessible to Children and adults.

So the Insain blood thirsty carnage we know wouldnt be in the film because they are goanna wanna keep the rating down as much as they can....which sucks, but hey who knows magic might happen...if u catch my meaning.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

Personally, I think it is time for the Black Cat.

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bio Guyver

So.....no Vulturess?

The Dave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The Dave

Sounds like Sam Raimi (assuming that Email is legit) Doesn't want to marginalise any more of spidey's villains. I mean seriously, that symbiote in spidey 3 imo wasn't venom at all. (They did the same with Juggernaut, these villains are movies in themselves stuck as extra thugs for our protaganist, its quite sad)

ps: never liked the Vulture much either, but if anyone can make me watch a movie with Vulture in it.. it'd be John Malkovich.

Spending more time on the story can only help in the long run.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

More Delays 

timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#40  Edited By timrothsays

John Malkovich? Really?  
    I do not think he will play in shitty movie

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By They Killed Cap!
    @Timm:

They should do carnage...but John Malkovich is very good so maybe I could settle for the vulture.  

They should totally bring in the rhino the way they brought in sandman as a B charecter.
    KasadyCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KasadyCarnage

CARNAGE! CARNAGE! CAAAAAAARRRRRNAAAAAAAAGE!!! That's all that matters. Aslong as he is in a movie, I'll be happy... 'long as they don't screw him up.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Media_Master

John Malkovich as Vulture is fine by me.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tyler Starke

Fine I'll direct the movie and I'll add mysterio and chameleon as the main villians, They would be much better than carnage or vultures old dumb flying butt.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tyler Starke
    @timrothsays said:
    "  John Malkovich? Really?   I do not think he will play in shitty movie "
    Are you kidding me Malkovich has been in some grade f bulls*** in his day 

No Caption Provided
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By goldenkey

Hey there, this movie sounds lame anyways with the Vulture. 
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By King Quisling

No Caption Provided
    Spider-Man: Oh God, please don't! Not my butt! 
     Green Goblin: Don't worry baby. It'll be over before you know it. 
    timrothsays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#48  Edited By timrothsays
    @Tyler Starke said:
    " @timrothsays said:
    "  John Malkovich? Really?   I do not think he will play in shitty movie "
    Are you kidding me Malkovich has been in some grade f bulls*** in his day 

No Caption Provided
    "
    lol, i missed it
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Bullshit

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Aronmorales

Aww...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.