Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Island, Plotholes and Answers

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Baron_BJ

I've a few questions to ask regarding this series and I'm sure that others do to:

People keep saying that this plotline was great, I thought it was tolerable (I greatly preferred the portions of the tale that were told in the new Venom series, it got across the idea that this was a horrible infection that was spreading, like a super-powered spider-zombie infection), but there are plotholes that I've seen no one mention, let's see if we can get some answers (I really hope there are some good answers, it would boost my appreciation of the story greatly).

Whatever happened to the fact that the virus went airborne? That fact just seemed to disappear and they can't possibly vaccinate everyone who wishes to come near new york (this was probably answered in the books and I forgot).

The fact that they needed to use ALL of the Anit-Venom suit to create the EXACT amount of antidote. It was already established that the anti-venom suit could regenerate itself if given some time, you're telling me they couldn't have just left behind the bare minimum required to keep the suit alive (which was also established as being not much), you're telling me the superhumans of the world couldn't have just quarantined a few of the spiders? Let's not forget those stupid little octobots they spread the cure with; you're telling me that absolutely NONE of those things got damaged by the open war that was going on in the streets? That none were damaged by the queen or that none of the spiders they were curing damaged one, or threw it off before administration of the cure among countless other possible outcomes? Not even one?

To this you may say "well the fact that in the books they say that they need the entire anti-venom suit to make the EXACT amount of cure was most likely hyperbole", well that's still a load of **** because then they wouldn't have needed to drain the entire suit!

I get the reasoning, I really do; They wanted to get rid of the character of anti-venom, a character that was heavily panned as being incredibly stupid (I never minded anti-venom myself, but yeah, it needed a lot of work). But that doesn't change the fact that it was very poorly executed.

Avatar image for the_hooded_hero
    The Hooded Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The Hooded Hero

@Baron_BJ: Since your new here and probley didn't read the rules. No Cussing bro. So you might wanna change some of your language in here before a mod comes and deletes it.

O by the way Spider Island was a terrible story line. Hated every bit of it.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By mewmdude77

When was it airborne? I thought it was Jackal and the queen put the virus in thousands of spiders, and sent them to bite people... They drained the entire suit, because it makes it a bigger sacrifice, making Eddie a bigger hero, and the new Madame Web said one of the Venoms was going to be eliminated during this, so it had to happen.

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Baron_BJ

Initially the Jackal and the queen put the virus into thousands of bedbugs (which is another problem I have with the series, but one that can be slightly overlooked; ALMOST all beds in first world countries are now made so that bedbugs can't live in them) which is what initially spread the virus, however later on when explaining the situation to Mayor Jameson Reed Richards informs him that the virus mutated into an airborne virus, which is why everyone in the entire city caught the infection (excluding super-humans of coarse).

Like I said, I get WHY the writer/s did what they did with the anti-venom suit but it doesn't change the fact that IT MAKES NO SENSE. It doesn't matter how dramatic or incredible a climax is if it doesn't make sense.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By mewmdude77

how bout they needed the entire Anti-Venom suit to cure the airborne virus, which would be harder to get rid of then regular infection, meaning more cure, so there would be none left.

Amanthine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Amanthine

I don't get it either, why do you expect them to preserve the Anti-Venom suit/symbiote? Anti-Venom has little standing in the entire MU, let alone as a super hero in the super hero community, in fact, quite the opposite. Exhausting the suit was just that, exhausting the suit. So you can look at it one of two ways: they didn't care, because they shouldn't (it's just a suit); or they were trying to get a dangerous symbiote that grants superhuman powers off of a crazy person while at the same time curing over a million people. The only reason they'd do what you suggested is if they calculated that there wouldn't be enough symbiote for cures, which wasn't the case, seeing as how they had excess.

Regarding the airborne virus, Reed created a vaccine that prevented anyone else from catching any strain of the virus, apparently one he could spread faster than the airborne strain (also know that the fact that it's airborne says nothing of its lifespan or necessary living conditions, so it's entirely plausible to contain a virus even if it is airborne). The business regarding Anti-Venom and the actual cure for those already afflicted is an entirely separate thing.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By kingjoeg

It was a great story arc with a great ending. Spidey has been through so much and lost so many people who are close to him, and to have an ending where he saves everyone was just awesome. Spidey has been owed one of them for a long time.

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Baron_BJ

@Amanthine said:

I don't get it either, why do you expect them to preserve the Anti-Venom suit/symbiote? Anti-Venom has little standing in the entire MU, let alone as a super hero in the super hero community, in fact, quite the opposite. Exhausting the suit was just that, exhausting the suit. So you can look at it one of two ways: they didn't care, because they shouldn't (it's just a suit); or they were trying to get a dangerous symbiote that grants superhuman powers off of a crazy person while at the same time curing over a million people. The only reason they'd do what you suggested is if they calculated that there wouldn't be enough symbiote for cures, which wasn't the case, seeing as how they had excess.

Regarding the airborne virus, Reed created a vaccine that prevented anyone else from catching the any strain of the virus, apparently one he could spread faster than the airborne strain (also know that the fact that it's airborne says nothing of its lifespan or necessary living conditions, so it's entirely plausible to contain a virus even if it is airborne). The business regarding Anti-Venom and the actual cure for those already afflicted is an entirely separate thing.

The idea of removing the suit entirely because it could cure people and take a man who is seen as a psychopath out of cirulation would be a good explination... but they never even hinted at this sort of thing. Once Anti-Venom met Reed he wasn't even treated as though he was unstable, for all they knew the question of whether the suit could be drained entirely could have made him freak out and go on a rampage, hell I'd have even appreciated it if they got him strapped into the draining device and then just said "Psyche! You're ****ed now!". Yes, I do realize that the vaccine for the virus and the anti-venom cure were different, they developed the vaccine well before finding anti-venom, it just didn't work on those already affected (like Jameson). Regarding quantity you can read it again (This section was burned into my brain), Reed did indeed say that he needed the entire suit to make exactly enough cure.

I'll be honest; Your explination would explain everything, if only that were how they did it instead of just ignoring it entirely.

I THINK you're right regarding the airborne virus and its cure though, like I said, I think I may have just forgotten that section.

@kingjoeg said:

It was a great story arc with a great ending. Spidey has been through so much and lost so many people who are close to him, and to have an ending where he saves everyone was just awesome. Spidey has been owed one of them for a long time.

Yeah, except for losing the magical protection of his identity and his girlfriend, those weren't a gigantic kick to his proverbial nuts at all.

That's another thing I didn't care for in this run; the removal of the magical identity protection, well not so much the removal, but how it was done (I 100% agree that the plot device needed to be removed), I know this is one of those situations where one can say "It's magic, you don't need to explain it", but even in that sort of context you can't deny that it was done rather poorly.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By kingjoeg

@Baron_BJ: I thought it was cool seeing Peter being able to use his spider powers in the open. It just shows that there is consequences to everything and it was done pretty well. How would you have got rid of Dr Strange's spell any differently?

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Baron_BJ

@kingjoeg: I didn't mind him being able to use his powers openly, thought it was done alright actually.

With regards to getting rid of the spell and how I'd do it differently; I honestly don't have a suggestion, but that doesn't change the fact that it removed rather badly or, to put things another way:

One does not need to be an architect to tell that a hut made out of feces and dried twigs is not going to be the worlds most sturdy bombshelter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.