Sony selling Spider-man movie rights?

#1 Edited by Strider92 (16721 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

SNAP IT UP, MARVEL.

SNAP IT UP.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

They can't sell Spidey w/out Disney/Marvel's permission. All they can really do is either sell it back to them or sit on it until the rights revert back.

#4 Posted by Strider92 (16721 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: As far as i'm aware the Spider-man movie rights do legally belong to them so Sony would be allowed to sell it to another company until the contract ran out.

#5 Edited by wrthreeh (67 posts) - - Show Bio

If they do sell it

they better not reboot it again

:(

#6 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

OH PLEASE HAPPEN!!!! Ahem, anyway gonna TRY not to get my hopes too high. about this.

Also to address something that's been bugging me with people automatically assuming he'd be on The Avengers, he won't. I don't even want Spidey to join The Avengers. At least not for a while. There's the thing of Pete still being under 18, which I doubt Marvel would change since I don't see why they can't just work in the Amazing Spider-Man movies into their continuity. Besides I doubt the movie-verse Avengers would want a kid who has no kind of training or much experience anyway. Maybe put him on a New Avengers team with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Ms. Marvel. On the main Avengers though? No, besides if they do make a New Avengers movie, they'll need someone more recognizable on the roster and Spidey fits the bill for that.

#7 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

SNAP IT UP, MARVEL.

SNAP IT UP.

This would be awesome. And I think Marvel could really build upon what Sony has already established. Basically, there wouldnt even need to be a reboot!

#8 Posted by JediXMan (30892 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be very happy if Marvel rebooted the franchise again.

Sorry; I did not like ASM.

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: I now can't think of anything other than the possibility of Hulk in a Spider-man movie. The movies have been severely lacking in the classic Spidey Oh s**t moments. I know they have the standard moments where he doubts whether or not he can handle something but they are completely devoid of the moments when Spidey knows he's screwed.

#10 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I would be very happy if Marvel rebooted the franchise again.

Sorry; I did not like ASM.

Same here.

#11 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

on one hand it might be cool

but on the other hand, Sony having financial problems is not something cool at all

#12 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

@smart_dork_dude:

In film 2, Peter will be graduating high school, I hear, so by Avengers 2, I'm sure he'll be over 18.

Anyway, I think it'd be cool if Disney bought Spider-Man, but I really want Disney to purchase all the Fox characters (X-Men, FF, etc).

#13 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish spider-man was apart of the MU cinematic universe.

#14 Posted by Malonius (892 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy said:

but on the other hand, Sony having financial problems is not something cool at all

Why would Sony sell a profitable piece of their company if they're having financial problems? I guess they could be raising cash to re-invest in what they consider their core business, whatever that is.

#15 Posted by Strider92 (16721 posts) - - Show Bio

@malonius: I think their plan is to sell of the filming part of their company in return for some profit on the characters so they can then focus on hardware.

#16 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least Spider-Man will be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, if Marvel decided to get the rights back from Sony.

#17 Posted by PunyParker (11966 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by RustyRoy (13184 posts) - - Show Bio

I clicked the link ans there's an update that they're not selling Spider-Man franchise.

#19 Edited by Lamenoire (193 posts) - - Show Bio

on closer inspection of the original proposal, these properties are never directly mentioned and it instead seems as if Sony would just create a separate company to deal with their entertainment division, while using public investors in order to help them increase revenue. It's all rather complicated, but the simple version is that we probably should expect to see the wall-crawling superhero stay where he is for the time being.

#20 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

If Marvel bought Spider-Man and continued from Amazing Spider-Man then I'm happy, if not then I'll razzy Marvel until they get that they screwed up.

#21 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I clicked the link ans there's an update that they're not selling Spider-Man franchise.

I got the same. I'm personally glad Spider-Man is still there, at least Marvel can't take over and reboot it.

#22 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Nonsense.

#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (48633 posts) - - Show Bio

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/sony-denies-report-suggesting-theyd-sell-spider-man-movie-rights

Staff
#24 Posted by Strider92 (16721 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/sony-denies-report-suggesting-theyd-sell-spider-man-movie-rights

Well thats depressing :(

#25 Posted by Zearing (201 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@malonius said:

@jorgevy said:

Why would Sony sell a profitable piece of their company if they're having financial problems? I guess they could be raising cash to re-invest in what they consider their core business, whatever that is.

the way they put the news it sounds like Sony needed the money, that's why I said that. I donno if sony is having problems but it sounded like it. also it didn't sound like this piece of their company was being profitable at all. but that's just what the OP wrote + the article

#27 Posted by PunyParker (11966 posts) - - Show Bio

Shame.....but still hoping for a cooperation!

#28 Posted by DarkCrawler (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it is really good that Sony did not sell Spider-man rights, because think of it this way. Now that the Superhero genre has really got the the attention of the studios, they have to make more and more Superhero movies.

But, even a Big studio like Disney can't handle Spider-Man movies, A full Avengers Phase with GoG tie-in, and there are many other superheroes movies that are being made, and more importantly, the other Disney Animated movies. So it would be nearly impossible for the Disney studios to manage all of the movies just like that and then give us a crossover. If the rights remain with Sony, we will have a regular supply of Superhero movies, each given a good investment to build upon.

As for the cross over, trust me, those bigheads are listening to the cries of fans. Yes, they are.

#29 Posted by darthfury78 (911 posts) - - Show Bio

Sony should not have returned the TV rights of Spider-Man back to Marvel. If sony had kept it, there was no way that Spectacular Spider-Man would have been cancelled. Sony threw away the opportunity to make a Spider-Man animated franchise.

#30 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6503 posts) - - Show Bio

PLEASE make this happen! We need a reboot to cross out Amazing Spider-Man!

#31 Posted by dzpowell (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel needs spidy and so he can make cameo appearance's

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.