So why does Slott like Doc Ock so much anyway????

  • 72 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by spideyfan69 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone think it's really weird how Slott relates more to a pudgy evil villain then an everyman with superpowers? Why does he want people to think that Doc Ock is so much cooler than Peter, Slott is one weird dude.

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

The only time I have ever found Ock cool was Spiderman 2

#3 Posted by judasnixon (5467 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a real Spiderman fan, but I love me some Doc Ock.  

#4 Posted by Funkypanda123 (87 posts) - - Show Bio

idk its just dumb if you want to have more of an effect hen make a charter like gooby you can put aa charater that hasent been used in so long the put him in 2 events

#5 Posted by mewmdude77 (991 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because Peter could have become like Doc ock. both Otto and Peter grew up lonely, bullied by their fellow classmates, so they turned to science to cope with it. The only difference is that Peter had his aunt and uncle. Doc Ock is the most logical choice for switching lives with Peter because of this.

#6 Edited by Phaedrusgr (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77: For me, Slott ruined an interesting villain. I can't stand Octavius' silly haircut anymore. I can't stand him generally and above all I want him out of Pete's body. Slott has a strong connection with Ock, cause he sees something in the character that reminds of himself. At least, that's what he says.

#7 Edited by Ninjablade09 (2692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr said:

@mewmdude77: For me, Slott ruined an interesting villain. I can't stand Octavius' silly haircut anymore. I can't stand him generally and above all I want him out of Pete's body. Slott has a strong connection with Slott, cause he sees something in the character that reminds of himself. At least, that's what he says.

Do you mean Ock?

#8 Posted by KnightRise (4757 posts) - - Show Bio

If Morrison and Geoff Johns can live through Damian Wayne and Hal Jordan by proxy, respectively, why can't Dan Slott?

#9 Posted by acer51 (2090 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, he's kind of seemed like a pretty generic supervillan to me. His arms were awesome but as a character he always seemed pretty shallow.

#10 Posted by Strider92 (15321 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Doc Ock was bada$$! Don't like the 616 one as much.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (16075 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77 said:

It's because Peter could have become like Doc ock. both Otto and Peter grew up lonely, bullied by their fellow classmates, so they turned to science to cope with it. The only difference is that Peter had his aunt and uncle. Doc Ock is the most logical choice for switching lives with Peter because of this.

This though Superior hasn't lived up to expectations. At least on Slott's end. Yost is doing a better job IMO.

@KnightRise: How does Morrison live through Damian? I get the other 2 but I haven't seen Morrison use Damian in the same way Johns uses Hal.

#12 Posted by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Ultimate Doc Ock was bada$$! Don't like the 616 one as much.

Agreed

He had more of a connection to Peter than 616.

#13 Posted by Strider92 (15321 posts) - - Show Bio

@wr3h: Not only that just look at him!:

He even looks awesome!

#14 Posted by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@wr3h: Not only that just look at him!:

He even looks awesome!

Dat Bagley skillz

#15 Posted by KnightRise (4757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: More of a stretched joke. Damian in the future is bald and has a cat, as is/does Grant lol

#16 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ninjablade09: LOL...Slott cursed me!!! I'm losing my words!

#17 Posted by Lvenger (16075 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: Ah future Damian of course! Should have remembered that Morrison likes his cats.

#18 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ninjablade09:There, fixed it! D..n you, Slott!

#19 Edited by Ninjablade09 (2692 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: Don't worry I got your back. You may have these periodically after the mind switch with your neighbor.

#20 Posted by SavageDragon (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@mewmdude77 said:

It's because Peter could have become like Doc ock. both Otto and Peter grew up lonely, bullied by their fellow classmates, so they turned to science to cope with it. The only difference is that Peter had his aunt and uncle. Doc Ock is the most logical choice for switching lives with Peter because of this.

I know I dont know why people cant see this.

#21 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Slott doesn't thinks Ock is cooler than Spidey. Ock thinks he is cooler than Spidey. -_-

#22 Posted by Ninjablade09 (2692 posts) - - Show Bio

@JimTheSurfer said:

Slott doesn't thinks Ock is cooler than Spidey. Ock thinks he is cooler than Spidey. -_-

lol no he doesn't he wants to be cooler than Spidey

#23 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Slott only likes that Ock is chubby like him.

Everything I've seen of his writing tells me that the man doesn't really get Ock's character at all.

#24 Posted by consolemaster001 (4490 posts) - - Show Bio

because they're alike

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray said:

Seems to me that Dan Slott is mostly using Ock to create these disturbing sexual moments! Like with that Aunt May wedding panel (ASM #699?), staring at MJ's chest during dinner (SSM #1) and then tapping into Peter's memories to relive sexual encounters with MJ (SSM #2). That all seems a tad twisted to me... I think Dan Slott watches too much Hentai some nights and now knows what those tentacles can do.

That's totally a rational conclusion to make.

Totally.

#26 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (388 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:

Slott only likes that Ock is chubby like him.

Everything I've seen of his writing tells me that the man doesn't really get Ock's character at all.

Pretty much. Slott is just living out his own psycho-sexual fantasies through a character that physically reminds him of himself.
#27 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Slott only likes that Ock is chubby like him.

Everything I've seen of his writing tells me that the man doesn't really get Ock's character at all.

Pretty much. Slott is just living out his own psycho-sexual fantasies through a character that physically reminds him of himself.

We're just gonna ignore how Doc Ock's been skinny for like, even before ASM 600 then?

Okay?

Okay.

This thread, I swear.

#28 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (388 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

@Markus_Langbourn said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Slott only likes that Ock is chubby like him.

Everything I've seen of his writing tells me that the man doesn't really get Ock's character at all.

Pretty much. Slott is just living out his own psycho-sexual fantasies through a character that physically reminds him of himself.

We're just gonna ignore how Doc Ock's been skinny for like, even before ASM 600 then?

Okay?

Okay.

This thread, I swear.

Dan Slott made him "skinny", doesn't really help your case much =P
#29 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Slott himself said that he likes Ock because Ock was chubby like him.

I'm only using the mans own words.

#30 Posted by mourlun2013 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

The only time I have ever found Ock cool was Spiderman 2

same with me

#31 Posted by mourlun2013 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

doc ock is kinda cool if you ask me minus the sleeping with mary jane and trying to marry aunt may parts

#32 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

Decoy Elite nailed it. Slott is living out some kind of weird fantasy through Doc Ock. He's said many times him and Ock are a lot a like.

#33 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Markus_Langbourn said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Slott only likes that Ock is chubby like him.

Everything I've seen of his writing tells me that the man doesn't really get Ock's character at all.

Pretty much. Slott is just living out his own psycho-sexual fantasies through a character that physically reminds him of himself.

We're just gonna ignore how Doc Ock's been skinny for like, even before ASM 600 then?

Okay?

Okay.

This thread, I swear.

Dan Slott made him "skinny", doesn't really help your case much =P

He was skinny before that.

Hell, in Civil War he was f**king buff.

#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@InnerVenom123: Slott himself said that he likes Ock because Ock was chubby like him.

I'm only using the mans own words.

Where was that again? I feel like I remember him saying that but I'm not sure where.

Either way, Ock hasn't been chubby for a while. So I'm still right. Har har.

#35 Posted by Teerack (4552 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he IS Doc Ock. Overweight, old, poor interpersonal skills, and he thinks everyone gangs up on him because he only focuses on when people point of the flaws in his writing.

#36 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@InnerVenom123: Slott himself said that he likes Ock because Ock was chubby like him.

I'm only using the mans own words.

Where was that again? I feel like I remember him saying that but I'm not sure where.

Either way, Ock hasn't been chubby for a while. So I'm still right. Har har.

Don't remember, I saw it in this vid pointing out the issues of how he deals with people. It's in the Superior Spider-Man discussion thread.

True, because he was dying. Which was stupid.

#37 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Decoy Elite said:

@InnerVenom123: Slott himself said that he likes Ock because Ock was chubby like him.

I'm only using the mans own words.

Where was that again? I feel like I remember him saying that but I'm not sure where.

Either way, Ock hasn't been chubby for a while. So I'm still right. Har har.

Don't remember, I saw it in this vid pointing out the issues of how he deals with people. It's in the Superior Spider-Man discussion thread.

True, because he was dying. Which was stupid.

Even before he was dying.

He got buff in Civil War.

Why am I the only one who remembers that? He went apesh*t, Eddie Brock style, and lifted weights like crazy and tried to kill Peter because he was pissed that Peter was so young when they first fought.

#38 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Because that too was stupid.

Ock shouldn't be buff, it's against the characters main design.

Then again it seems every writer wants to toss away his design first chance they get.

#39 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Then again it seems every writer wants to toss away his design first chance they get.

Mostly because his design is f**king goofy.

#40 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Then again it seems every writer wants to toss away his design first chance they get.

Mostly because his design is f**king goofy.

True, but I think that's why it works. He doesn't look nearly as threatening as he really is. So when he completely stomps on people it's not as expected as with most powerful villains.

#41 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyfan69: @spideyfan69 said:

Anyone think it's really weird how Slott relates more to a pudgy evil villain then an everyman with superpowers? Why does he want people to think that Doc Ock is so much cooler than Peter, Slott is one weird dude.

It's cause Slott is a pudgy villain.

#42 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Then again it seems every writer wants to toss away his design first chance they get.

Mostly because his design is f**king goofy.

True, but I think that's why it works. He doesn't look nearly as threatening as he really is. So when he completely stomps on people it's not as expected as with most powerful villains.

That stopped working so long ago. Acting threatening isn't enough, you've gotta look the part a bit too. Otherwise no villain would ever get a costume change or update. They're ALL threatening to some extent, the ones that matter anyway.

#43 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Well his costume has been updated, just always to something as bad as his original.

But honestly I prefer his pudgy than in shape. He's suppose to rely on his arms after all.

#44 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29332 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@InnerVenom123: Well his costume has been updated, just always to something as bad as his original.

But honestly I prefer his pudgy than in shape. He's suppose to rely on his arms after all.

That's why I liked dying Ock. He looks freakish, and he still relies on his arms.

:P

#45 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: I thought he looked dump personally.

Didn't help that his motive was strait up idiotic.

#46 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyfan69: Slott is writing a story and doing something new. This is a temporary thing. Relax.

Spider-man has going through crazier things and eventually returned to "normal" (which is an ever-changing concept).

I'm just going to assume that you weren't alive and reading comics during the clone saga...

#47 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, no one wants to bring up the clone saga. Well except Slott.

#48 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite: Everyone reading Scarlet Spider doesn't seem to mind.

#49 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery: That's because Kaine is a boss and is the best thing to come out of that mess.

Well maybe second best thing, I did like Ben and wouldn't be angry if he got brought back somehow.

Then again I'm the weirdo that actually liked Spider-Island so whatever.

#50 Edited by Mezzaro (9 posts) - - Show Bio

He likes Doc Ock because Doc Ock is a bad ass. He always has been in EVERY MODERN DEPICTION. He has Ock's character spot-on and the parts about remembering being with MJ and wanting to marry May are totally in character, mainly because he knows May from his past and has always had a thing for her. Superior rocks hard-core and I wish comic fans wouldn't force it to change.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.