Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

So when is Spidey gonna be Marvels top property again

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jimishim12

The Avengers and the Xmen surpass him in almost being as iconic in modern society and is Marvel lynchpin franchise popularity wise, when is Spider-Man gonna be back like in the early 2000s era?

As a character, did you know Deadpool and Captain America are more popular in Japan than he is? I just saw this today on a Japanese website.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman is still their most popular character but I agree he has fallen off slightly as top dog. Probably because his movie didn't bring in a billion dollars like the avengers and iron man 3. But when the avengers trilogy is over (if it stops at three) he will go back on top. Especially if he still has movies coming out at that point.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MakkyD

It goes in stages, depending on what films are popular. For 2000s Spidey was the big thing, then the X-men and now the Avengers. I doubt he'll take it back, something new will take its place.

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
    jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jesusdisciple001

Well when they give him an awesome anime.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

When the movie rights revert to Marvel. And Sony is doing their best to make sure that never happens.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this sonys fault?

pedrada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I.M.O, when marvel decides to seriously EVOLVE the character, giving him a creative team that writes HIM well, instead of making gimmiks and shock value histories, he may get back in the main stream...

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#8  Edited By Black_Claw

@xwraith: well with the recent announcement that there's now going to be a Spiderman universe film every year, I'd say Sony is well on their way to f****** up Spidey again. Only then will the rights go back to Marvel.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until the Spider-Man movie rights return to Marvel. Until then he's screwed.

Starbrander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya:

The new film looks promising and I enjoyed the first as well. The original trilogy was strong as well except for the last film.

And it's not like Disney making a Spidey film assures a good franchise. Iron Man 2 and 3 were utterly horrible as far as I am concerned. The weakest by far in the MCU.

More importantly, Spiderman needs to be in the "Infinity Gauntlet: Avengers 3".

Might happen I think: http://www.mtv.co.uk/the-amazing-spiderman/news/amazing-spiderman-star-i-want-avengers-crossover

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Yeah how is it Sony's fault! Spiderman 2 is still one of the best superhero movies around. Its just Marvel often turns to the attention to the characters which the general public agrees with, so right now its the Avengers. But Spiderman is one of the most popular and recognised characters in the world, so its not all bad I guess.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By silent_bomber

Personally I'm glad different companies have X-Men and Spider-Man.

Keeps the IPs I want separate, separate. I don't want to see Spider-Man in an Avengers movie, or doing a ton of cameo's with unrelated characters just to cross-pollinate all Marvel's movie franchises.

and Disney can only make so many films a year, by doing it this way we have an entire company focusing on Spider-Man's part of the universe while Marvel handles classic Avengers characters. Some of these Spider-Man spin-offs may end up bad, sure but at least they have the chance to be good, which wouldn't happen if they'd never been made.

Whether a film is good or not has more to do with Directors and Writers than companies anyway IMO.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle

@xwraith said:

When the movie rights revert to Marvel. And Sony is doing their best to make sure that never happens.

I wouldn't say that. When it was time for Marvel/Disney to launch a new animated universe, Spider-Man was their flagship
    @lyrafay said:

Yeah how is it Sony's fault! Spiderman 2 is still one of the best superhero movies around. Its just Marvel often turns to the attention to the characters which the general public agrees with, so right now its the Avengers. But Spiderman is one of the most popular and recognised characters in the world, so its not all bad I guess.

Something else that is that when Sony had the right to use Spider-Man in animation they had probably the best Spidey animated show to exist, now that Marvel/Disney has the rights back....they have the made the worst. Their show is overly childish and tries to hard to have inane humor and just comes off as annoying more than anything else.

So yeah, Marvel having dominion over all their characters isn't always the best thing. Art through adversity!!!

Homifred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pedrada: "I.M.O, when marvel decides to seriously EVOLVE the character, giving him a creative team that writes HIM well, instead of making gimmiks and shock value histories, he may get back in the main stream..."

This...this is beautiful.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@jimishim12: Well,you know he still is the most profitable and recognisable Marvel superhero on the planet.....so......the question is undue.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's still the face of Marvel.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonez_

Iron-man is top dog, but............….….......…

I'm starting to feel like Deadpool is taking over.

No seriously. The common public already knows who he is.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tigerkaya said:

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's Marvel's highest selling solo character

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow:

He should be Marvels highest selling franchise period. Even Deadpool is catching up to him in comic sales for solos.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@grenadeflow:

He should be Marvels highest selling franchise period. Even Deadpool is catching up to him in comic sales for solos.

That's because Peter is dead currently and SSM is a terrible idea.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By magnetic_eye

imo, not until MARVEL STUDIOS acquire the film rights and not until an all new creative team is put onto the "Amazing Spider-Man" book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

1. imo, not until MARVEL STUDIOS acquire the film rights
    2. and not until an all new creative team is put onto the "Amazing Spider-Man" book.
    1. He still is the face of Marvel......it just have become him AND Iron Man......but he's still the top dog.The comics sell 5 times better than Iron Man AND the Avengers.
    2. Yes.Spider-Man needs a JMS.
    Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man IS Marvel that is all.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: well with the recent announcement that there's now going to be a Spiderman universe film every year, I'd say Sony is well on their way to f****** up Spidey again. Only then will the rights go back to Marvel.

Every year? I thought it was every other year, do you happen to have a link to said announcement?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy:

Yes, but is he Marvel's center piece hero, no. That's the Avengers or ironman.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy:

Yes, but is he Marvel's center piece hero, no. That's the Avengers or ironman.

I still see Spider-Man as Marvel's top priority, if they were faced with an ultimatum where they could only keep 1 franchise they'd choose his. Iron Man and the Avengers are more popular in movies atm but I'd imagine Spider-Man still makes Marvel more money overall with his merchandise sales. Iron Man isn't as popular in the comics as he is in the movies because there's no RDJ in the coimcs. Spider-Man doesn't have to rely on a popular actor to be popular.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By fodigg

Spider-Man didn't lose any bit of popularity just because Marvel has successfully pushed other properties forward. Spider-Man will always be their top dog. And Sony is doubling down on the new film franchise. They'll be launching Venom and Sinister Six spinoffs. If successful, they could build their own little film empire just from that one character. It probably won't rival Marvel's, but it could certainly take in a respectable following.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By christianrapper

The Avengers and the Xmen surpass him in almost being as iconic in modern society and is Marvel lynchpin franchise popularity wise, when is Spider-Man gonna be back like in the early 2000s era?

As a character, did you know Deadpool and Captain America are more popular in Japan than he is? I just saw this today on a Japanese website.

well, do u remember brand new day. marvel did the dumbest thing ever. I said I would never by a spidey comic again.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

Spider-Man didn't lose any bit of popularity just because Marvel has successfully pushed other properties forward. Spider-Man will always be their top dog. And Sony is doubling down on the new film franchise. They'll be launching Venom and Sinister Six spinoffs. If successful, they could build their own little film empire just from that one character. It probably won't rival Marvel's, but it could certainly take in a respectable following.

I'm afraid Deadpool will get more of Marvel's love if Spidey doesn't meet the sales of the Avengers/

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@jimishim12 said:
    @fodigg said:

I'm afraid Deadpool will get more of Marvel's love if Spidey doesn't meet the sales of the Avengers/

That's never going to happen, Deadpool isn't even in the same ballpark with Spider-Man when it comes to popularity. Forget ballpark they're not even in the same state. Seriously there are probably more Spider-Man fans in any random small town than there are Deadpool fans worldwide. The Avengers may be Marvel's top priority right now but think of what that says about Spider-Man that it takes an entire team to just barely edge him out.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_donaghy:

You say that because DP hasn't gotten green lit for a movie yet which I am sure will eventually confirm his status amongst common non comic iconic fare for superheroes like batman, spidey and ironman. You also know that other than Batman, DP has more fans than all the Xmen individually and fans in other countries adore him especially in Japan where him and Spidey are more famous than say Any Avengers and Xmen individually. DP could be the next Ironman whom is now just as famous as Spidey thanks to the movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.