So, should I still read Ultimate Spider-Man?

#1 Edited by Ryagan (601 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the deal: I just got done reading the Venom arc from the Ultimate Spider-Man series, and I LOVED it. I also read the fist ultimate collection, which I also loved. However, the fact that Ultimate Peter Parker is dead bugs me every time I read Ultimate Spider-Man. I know we have Miles Morales now, but Peter Parker is my favorite comic book character. Has Miles Morales been a good substitute for Peter Parker? Has the new Ultimate Spider-Man stuff been enjoyable? Is the original Ultimate Spider-Man run still worth reading despite Peter being dead?

#2 Edited by angelalfonso (937 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on who you ask, if you ask me ill say yes it’s worth Reading, not because Miles has been great (he is good but he is not peter) but because the guest characters make the book worth reading.

#3 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, this coming from a massive Peter fan (both 616 and somewhat Ultimate to an extent), Miles' story in Ultimate has been brilliant. It's rivalved Scarlet as my favourite title for months.

#4 Posted by GeekBait (776 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Miles series a lot. The character will grow on you after the first few issues.

#5 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it's worth it

#6 Posted by danhimself (22215 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing that Peter is going to die makes it even better imo...all those times people say how great he is going to be when he grows up or those times that Peter and MJ talk about their future together...it makes the series feel really dark

#7 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Miles is great

#8 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3079 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing that Peter is going to die makes it even better imo...all those times people say how great he is going to be when he grows up or those times that Peter and MJ talk about their future together...it makes the series feel really dark

I second this.

#9 Posted by Ryagan (601 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a really interesting take. I'll keep that in mind as I continue to read Ultimate Spider-Man.

#10 Edited by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read a couple of issues. It's....interesting enough, but I feel like it's not up-to-par with Bendis' Ultimate run. His Peter stuff was just the bomb, he was on fire and putting out a quality long-form story. Miles is alright, but, I don't know....I don't find it noteworthy.

@ryagan said:

@danhimself said:

That's a really interesting take. I'll keep that in mind as I continue to read Ultimate Spider-Man.

Good observation. I actually also like the idea of Pete dying because it reflects the more 'realistic' tone of Ultimate Marvel - that eventually the luck of an untrained teenage hero is gonna run out.

#11 Posted by M3th (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

Miles is super cool. MetH wisHes He Had His own name. It is not required but it would still be pure awesomeness. MetH also wisHes Kaine Had His own signature codename.

m3th.O.D. isBACK

#12 Edited by nappystr8 (1016 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Spider-Man is still of as high quality today as it was when it started back in the early 2000's. Bendis really has a passion for that book and it's characters and it shows. I'd suggest continue reading the original run. Read the Peter death issue, and then move in to the new series (no rush, since it might be ending soon). You'll love Miles just like you love Peter now, and even if for some reason you can't relate to him, most of Peter Parker's supporting cast make frequent appearances still.

#13 Posted by GoblinAlGhoul (54 posts) - - Show Bio

If there is no Goblin in this new world then... Of Course NOT!

Muahahahahjajajajaja

#14 Posted by PunyParker (8836 posts) - - Show Bio

A massive yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.