Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

So any ways to make Spidey's villans as popular as Batmans

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Green Goblin seems to lack a certain charm the Joker has and the Shocker and Sandman would be more boring compared to Ras Al Ghul and Deathstoke, theres Venom and Doc Ock but Batman's villains are more noticeable than Spidey's. So I wanted to know from fellow fans, what do writers and the media need to put Spidey villains on the same level of love the Batman villians have.

Should they scrap some and add new faces to the villians rouge or just update them with better interesting motives and characteristics to make them seem more dangerous.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By PunyParker

Well,the first 3 are as popular as Batman's ,without a doubt.....

1. Green Goblin
    2. Doc Ock
    3. Venom
    iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Except for Venom and Hobgoblin, all of Spidey's a-list villains were created in the first 20 issues. Whilst no one has created anyone quite as memorable, his villains are just fine the way they are.

And Sandman ain't no punk.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tigerkaya

Screw Batman's villains they've degenerated to third rate slasher flick killers. I like the Spider-Man's rogues as they are the blue collar crooks ala Flash's The Rogues. If you can't comprehend that I suggest you leave and go back to the Batman forums.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Saren

@tigerkaya said:

Screw Batman's villains they've degenerated to third rate slasher flick killers. I like the Spider-Man's rogues as they are the blue collar crooks ala Flash's The Rogues. If you can't comprehend that I suggest you leave and go back to the Batman forums.

Do people really need these constant reminders that tigerkaya hates Batman? One instance should suffice for most people to understand that. Have a little more faith in your fellow man.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tigerkaya

@saren: Oh I actually like Batman just not the one fans have been praising as the be all invincible being that can defeat everyone with prep and the only super intelligent hero in DC. ;) As to villains I was merely referring to their inferior New52 version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@saren said:

@tigerkaya said:

Do people really need these constant reminders that tigerkaya hates Batman? One instance should suffice for most people to understand that. Have a little more faith in your fellow man.

I thought it was more of hates everythign associated with DC..

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Far as I can tell, only 3 heroes have rogues galleries that are considered "classics": Batman, Flash and Spider-man. Considering there are hundreds of super-heroes now, that's pretty elite company to have such a well-rounded rogues gallery. Other iconic heroes like Superman, Captain America and Green Lantern cannot make this claim. As to who's villains are better between Spidey's and Bat's..I'd go with Batman, but barely. (One must remember when Batman villains all became crazy hackers, that was actually very unique in the comic world, and was done as a reflection of what kind of a hero Batman is..he's kinda crazy also.) Flash's villains have the most quirky skill/power set, which makes for fun reading. I always see Spider-mans villains as a combo pack. Some loony tunes types (Venom, Carnage, Goblin) and some quirky types, though even his quirky ones have a very serious tone. (Sandman, Electro, Lizard, Doc Ock.)

In short, I don't know if they can be as popular as Bat-villains, but they have served Spider-man stories very well through the years, and there's no need to change what has worked.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: The hackers things worked on some of them but now I feel they overdid by making every Bat villain a hacker. What made Batman's villains unique was the fact each of the villains had their own unique ideology of and style of crime not because of who can make the biggest death toll on the front page. To me they become less unique and more bland.

@dagmar_merrill: no just the New52 and some of the fans.

Rebel_Leader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rebel_Leader1

Hopefully some Spidey villains will get some attention since Sony is making villain spinoff films with Venom and the Sinister Six.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: The hackers things worked on some of them but now I feel they overdid by making every Bat villain a hacker. What made Batman's villains unique was the fact each of the villains had their own unique ideology of and style of crime not because of who can make the biggest death toll on the front page. To me they become less unique and more bland.

I get what you're saying, but I think the uniqueness of each one still stands. The way Riddler kills vs Two-Face vs Joker...all different, all deadly. I don't mind that Batman villains are all crazy, because that's the way "The Bat-world" has been set up. It's dark, it's gritty. Gotham City is a character unto itself, being an embodiment of what's wrong with humanity. When you go on that premise, you can't have Batman fighting jewel thieves and gag-villains. It wouldn't work in the world they've created around him.

Spider-man..now he's different. He is serious, and I hate when people call him a light-hearted hero, because he's not. Far from it. He uses humor as a coping mechanism for all the crap he goes through both as Parker and as Spider-man. However, the world they've created with Spider-man, does allow for some more light-hearted stories. He can have an issue stopping a jewel heist or bank robbery. If Spider-man's villains do have something over Batman's, I'd say they are more diverse, because the world they've built in Spider-man stories allows for that.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Spider-Man's villains are nearly as popular as Batman's aren't they?

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tigerkaya

@manwhohaseverything: Yes i know Batman villains are all crazy but not all of them were stuck in super crazy. Harley when she was not with the Joker always had a struggle in balancing her normal and insanity yet her and Batman could still talk, Riddler I always preferred as a detective the only people I expected to see kill on a regular basis was Zsasz Joker while he does kill I always loved about him was he would always have a variety of different schemes some involving money, coming to his fans, killing or just to screw with Batman now a days I feel Joker has been stuck in massacre mode. Yes I don't mind if they kill but not to the point when it becomes every villain needs a Valentines day massacure moment.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly I thought I good chunk of them were more popular than Batman's except for Joker.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@longbowhunter said:

Honestly I thought I good chunk of them were more popular than Batman's except for Joker.

Right?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: I wouldn't put Flash Rogues one the same level as Batmans an Spidey villains. They are on another level of popularity.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: actually Xmen and FF have more iconic villains than the Flash. Magneto, Juggy, Doom and Galactus to name a few.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

to me Spider-man has the best villians in comics.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: actually Xmen and FF have more iconic villains than the Flash. Magneto, Juggy, Doom and Galactus to name a few.

Agree if we're going to go by individual names. Doom is more iconic than Grodd or Zoom or Capt Boomerang. The thing about Flash's rouges gallery, back in the day, is how off-the-wall they were with their methodology. A guy playing a flute that hypnotizes people, a guy with trick boomerangs, a guy with odd-ball mirrors. A lot of that has been lost in the modern way of comic book story-telling, but anyone who read comics in the 70's and 80's will tell you no one had villains as unique and colorful as the Flash. Now, I agree the FF has more "iconic" villains, but IMHO, Flash's are still more "classic" as a whole group.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By renamed040924

@jimishim12: The only Batman villain that's broken into mainstream is Joker. Green Goblin and Venom are way more popular than Two Face, Penguin, and Deathstroke, who isn't even a Batman villain.

turtleblizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone once said that all the Spidey villains focus on physical presence while Batman villains have many other ways of working. It feels much easier to choose the appropriate Batman villain (if you want puzzles Riddler, if you want mental games Scarecrow, if you want manpower Penguin) than picking suitable Spidey villain (GG smashes things, Lizard smashes things, Shocker smashes things, usually. Occassionally steal something so they can smash things. The likes of Mysterio and Kinpin stretch out but even they usually just want to squash the bug)

But I still don't think there's anything wrong with either gallery. Batman in general is more about gritty shades of gray while Spiderman is that swinging superman and the villain gallery reflects that perfectly. Changing villains would mean changing the general tone of the character. And I also don't think there's much difference popularitywise. No doubt Arkham series and the movies are big reason why everyone suddenly knows Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, Killer Croc etc. The Spiderman movies have depended on the already most popular villains while the games have been pretty bad at fleshing out characters beyond the "I'm a boss character, beat me" routine. Like I said in the other thread, I would love a Spidey game that puts emphasis on the villains. I'm not talking about comics because I assume that with popularity you mean real mainstream familiarity.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Sick of seeing this YOU CAN NOT COMPARE BATMAN AND SPIDERMAN VILLAINS THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! One has more grounded psychotic killers and one has the more powered villains. I don't recommend any changes to Spideys villains bc they don't need any changes to be more popular

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tigerkaya

@spideysense44: Exactly! If people don't like it tough go read another series.

@turtleblizzard: Nice generalization (end of sarcasm) Now let me try. Joker kills people by the millions, Ra's Al Ghul kills people by the billions, Zsasz kills people, and Killer Croc eats people.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the Joker, they're arguably quite comparable in popularity, honestly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.