Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

SMTAS S6 & SpecSM S3, the stories that might have been!

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter
    No Caption Provided

As we all know, Spider-man : The Animated Series (one of the best in my opinion) was cancelled at the end of season 5, a reason given was because the producers felt that it would be lacklustre to show Spider-Man after he had saved all of existence, another is, since a story was go to Ghost rider and as Ghost Rider appeared on The Incredible Hulk and the rights to the character were then held by UPN.

The proposed stories put forward by the writers:

The most immediate story that was cancelled was Spider-Man finding Mary Jane Watson in 19th Century England. Madame Web would have taken him there to find her but would also encounter Carnage, who would have taken on the identity of Jack the Ripper. The series was cancelled before the storyarc could be developed.

Semper also wrote a story involving Spider-Man and Ghost Rider. However, the character was going to have a series on UPN and Fox did not want to promote another network's character. At the time Arad was provoking Fox, which ultimately led to the series being cancelled. In the story, Mysterio would be find alive and have found the Time Dilation Device. He would use it to rob banks until he encountered Dormammu who would employ the special effects wizard. Spider-Man and Ghost Rider would team up to stop them.

No Caption Provided

What I was able to find out

Weisman explained, "Sony is NO LONGER involved with The Spectacular Spider-Man. I'm informed that Marvel can now produce the series, but of course, they don't have to." Weisman noted he had "no clue" as to what Sony gained regarding Spider-Man's film rights that they didn't already have that led them to give up the TV rights to the character.

In the best case scenario for The Spectacular Spider-Man, not only could the show continue with Marvel producing, but some of the restrictions Weisman, fellow Supervising Producer Victor Cook and their team have had to work with could be lifted – including the fact that up until now, they could not use any non-Spider-Man characters on the series. Pondering that fact, Weisman said, "I'd be very excited at the prospect of adding Kingpin to our cast. And as I've mentioned before, I'd love to do the occasional crossover, starting with the Human Torch. But the bigger concern is whether or not we get new episodes, not who guest stars in them."

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By animehunter

@punyparker: I've update with what I could find about Spectacular Spider-man S3, if it went ahead.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By PunyParker

So in Spec Spidey i listened a lot of Podcasts and interviews Weisman had done and the main idea was: Continue the show until season 5,and then go to direct DVDs and do a couple of seasons,but with Peter being in college,and the DVDs would be PG-13 so they could some more mature stories.......

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why do Weisman's shows always get preternaturally axed?

I'll confess that I never even watched Spectacular Spider-Man until repeats started playing on Vortex a couple months ago, but its a damned good show and I regret not jumping on board while it was airing.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PunyParker

Why do Weisman's shows always get preternaturally axed?

I'll confess that I never even watched Spectacular Spider-Man until repeats started playing on Vortex a couple months ago, but its a damned good show and I regret not jumping on board while it was airing.

It's ok,i forgive you (no,not really :P )

It's,thrully, a shame......i didnt watch Young Justice while it was airing,too.....i watched all of it,when it got cancelled,and really really appreciated it.....fantastic.....and you really,can see what the man can do when he's got EVERY damn hero he wants.....not only Spider-Man Universe,for example....

Why it got cancelled?......last time i checked WB had all of DC on her own.....no Dysney-Sony conflicts,again for example....

_Nexus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grow up watching the Spider-Man animated series and it was how I really got to know Spider-Man, I grew up on two heroes Bats and Spidey, and the animated series was one of the best Spider-man cartoons of it's time.

Then came Spectacular Spider-man the fact that this show was cancelled and replace with that god awful Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon amazes me, Spectacular was probably the closest thing you could get to a good portrayal of Peter/Spider-Man it was a good blend of serious and mature along with funny and kid friendly. Ultimate just wants to put in dumb jokes that wouldn't make a simpleton laugh. Who the hell makes these decision is what I wonder?

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i heard hobgoblin was to be in season 3 of spec. ultimate has actually gotten a lot better. yea it is a bit childish but it is aimed at a younger audience but its toned down on that a decent amount. i also figure carnage would have been in 3 since they showed cletus cassidy in a few episodes.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man I miss spectacular

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i heard hobgoblin was to be in season 3 of spec. ultimate has actually gotten a lot better. yea it is a bit childish but it is aimed at a younger audience but its toned down on that a decent amount. i also figure carnage would have been in 3 since they showed cletus cassidy in a few episodes.

Weisman said on an interview,that EVERYTHING they put in a 20 min. episode matters.....Warren,Cassidy,everyone.....and Hobby along with Scorpion were ready for So. 3.

@_nexus_ said:

I grow up watching the Spider-Man animated series and it was how I really got to know Spider-Man, I grew up on two heroes Bats and Spidey, and the animated series was one of the best Spider-man cartoons of it's time.

Then came Spectacular Spider-man the fact that this show was cancelled and replace with that god awful Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon amazes me, Spectacular was probably the closest thing you could get to a good portrayal of Peter/Spider-Man it was a good blend of serious and mature along with funny and kid friendly. Ultimate just wants to put in dumb jokes that wouldn't make a simpleton laugh. Who the hell makes these decision is what I wonder?

Man I miss spectacular

Greg Weisman is willing to continue it......

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.