Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Six Ways Spider-Island Has Changed THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

• 102 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Everyone in New York City gains spider-powers. I can only imagine what the reaction to Dan Slott's pitch must have been. It sounded like a corny and slightly insane idea but he made it work. As a mini-event, Spider-Island involved many characters in the Marvel Universe and managed to not interrupt those characters' books.

At the conclusion of most events, almost everything reverts back to the status quo. People gained spider-powers and then were transformed into giant spiders but returned to their normal forms at the end. With Spider-Island, there were some things that did not return to normal.

No Caption Provided

Big changes have resulted. Spider-Man's perfect 'Big Time' life has taken some hits. Spider-Man may have come out on top over the Queen's evil scheme but he has some new problems to deal with. Here are the six biggest changes for Spider-Man as a result of Spider-Island.

== TEASER ==

Eddie Brock is a Hero

No Caption Provided

It was Anti-Venom's powers that helped Mister Fantastic create a vaccine for the infected people of New York. It cost Eddie his powers but we know the chances of him remaining without are pretty slim. Eddie has been seen as evil from his time as Venom but now has the opportunity to turn over a new leaf.

As Anti-Venom he was trying to do away with the bad guys so we'll most likely see him trying to find a way to re-gain some sort of spider or superpower.

Kaine Will Become the New Scarlet Spider

No Caption Provided

This isn't officially confirmed but how many more clues do we need? Kaine has been a major thorn in Spider-Man and the original Scarlet Spider's side since his debut. He started seeing things differently but was killed during the Grim Hunt. As a resurrected pawn of the Queen, he managed to overcome her programming and the exposure to the vaccine cured Kaine of his facial scars. And when he left, he just happened to be wearing a blue hoodie.

Kaine is still considered a killer and should have to answer for his past crimes. He is trying to redeem himself and with Peter's stealth suit, he will be making his way somewhere Spider-Man hasn't been before.

Spider-Man is No Longer a Public Menace?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It would be easy to try to place the blame on Spider-Island on Spider-Man but the public knows it was the Queen's plan. Thanks to J. Jonah Jameson's years of brandishing Spider-Man as a menace, it's no surprise why so many would believe it to be true.

Now that all of New York City knows what it's like to walk in his shoes, they'll look at him differently. Whether or not they'll have short term memories over this remains to be seen.

There's also the question of whether or not Jameson can finally admit that Spider-Man is actually a hero rather than a menace.

Peter Parker No Longer Has a Girlfriend

No Caption Provided

Peter and Carlie Cooper have gotten close since they started dating. He was tempted in revealing his secret identity to her but was hesitant. Unfortunately, with Carlie being a forensic scientist, despite Peter's efforts to conceal any evidence that he was Spider-Man, it wasn't enough. She was able to figure it out.

In Carlie's eyes, Peter has been lying to her from the beginning. Every time he rushed off somewhere or pretended to be normal, it was a lie. Spider-Man is a big part of who Peter is and he kept it from her. Now that she knows, how long until others find out.

Spider-Man's Secret Identity is No Longer Mystically Protected

No Caption Provided

As part of One Moment In Time, a spell was placed over Spider-Man so that no one, except Mary Jane would know his secret identity. Doctor Strange warned him that if he was unmasked or if he revealed his identity to others, the spell would weaken.

When people in New York City started gaining spider-powers and started dressing as Spider-Man, Peter couldn't safely go out in his costume. There was no way for the Avengers or others to know who was the real one. When he realized everyone had his powers, he publicly revealed that he too had spider-powers in a way to inspire normal people to rise up and do the right thing. Spider-Man's enemies that knew the secret before won't automatically remember his identity but are now able to learn it.

Spider-Man is About to Suffer a Big Loss

No Caption Provided

Running into Julia Carpenter, the new Madame Web, she apologized for his loss. Spider-Man assumed she was referring to the possibility that he could use the vaccine and cure his own spider-powers and not have the burden of being Spider-Man anymore. She informed him that the loss she was referring to was something that would be coming in the future.

Spider-Man Has His Spider-Sense Again

This happened earlier in the arc (issue #671). It's debatable if this really counts as a change since he only recently lost his spider-sense and had them since first became a web-slinger. Either way, they're back.

What's next for Spider-Man?

No Caption Provided

It would be nice if Spider-Man could catch a break. We know the chances for that aren't great. Spider-Island has brought Peter and Mary Jane closer together. Her time with spider-powers allowed her also to see what his life was like. She couldn't help but put herself at risk when she finally gained superpowers. With Carlie out of the picture, perhaps we will see Peter and Mary Jane get back together. They are meant to be together after all.

Spider-Man will have to be on his toes now. His secret identity isn't as safe as it was before. New and old enemies will make their way back to cause havoc in his life. And the Jackal is still on the loose as well. Spider-Man may have won the battle during Spider-Island but the war against evil is far from over.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DH69

why couldnt they give him back the organic webbing, im one of the people who actually liked it... Also super dissapointed Caselli didnt do the artwork for all of spider-island instead of just the prologue and epilogue his artwork is great.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Finally has his spider sense, could afford buying spiderman T___T I will pick this arc up as a trade when it comes out ^___^

This event seemed more interesting than fear itself wish i picked this up instead

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

It would be totally funny if the Spider-Man universe went pretty much back to the way they were before One More Day/Brand New Day stuff. He gets back together with MJ, and everything goes back, but now no one remembers his secret identity reveal and he and MJ aren't married. It too a few years but eventually Spider-man goes back to what he was before all those comics.

SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperDoahBoy

@DH69 said:

why couldnt they give him back the organic webbing, im one of the people who actually liked it...

I'm not huge Spidey fan but the organic webbing just made more sense to me, the whole plot twist of him running out cartridges was so lame.

sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sinful

These "Changes" (Returns) makes "One More Day" a pointless Arc...wait..it was pointless anyway. Thanks Alex Q!

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahgunsillyo

Could Mr. Fantastic look any douchier in this picture?

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Why couldn't Peter just say he got cured with the rest of them? How many people would actually believe one guy on the internet saying he's the true Spider-Man, when he could just be a guy doing it for publicity, or thinking he's protecting the real S-M? Any way, that all sounds cool, and I'd like to see MJ and Peter back together.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eyz

Kaine is no longer disfigured? Ow, man... why did they change that? I mean they really do wanna have two Peter Parkers running around NYC? Plus wearing his upcoming Scarlet Spider costume, it wouldn't change anything at the end of the day...

Eddie Brock as a hero. Mmmh. This will easily play in Venom current comic book series...

Carlie out MJ in!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Everything may not have returned to normal......., but give it a week.

Peter and Carlie break up. I called that before it even began. I wasn't even reading it. This didn't even last a year. Sounds like my brother's marriage.

@Eyz said:

Kaine is no longer disfigured? Ow, man... why did they change that? I mean they really do wanna have two Peter Parkers running around NYC? Plus wearing his upcoming Scarlet Spider costume, it wouldn't change anything at the end of the day...

Eddie Brock as a hero. Mmmh. This will easily play in Venom current comic book series...

Carlie out MJ in!

Thus proving that adage that comics seem to use as their publishing philosophy nowadays. "The more things change. The more they stay the same." Some terrible stories that had the character making a deal with the devil, wiping out decades of history from the character under the guise of aiming for a new direction, and to end up right back where they started. Only now we already know it will never be allowed to go anywhere.

@SuperDoahBoy said:

@DH69 said:

why couldnt they give him back the organic webbing, im one of the people who actually liked it...

I'm not huge Spidey fan but the organic webbing just made more sense to me, the whole plot twist of him running out cartridges was so lame.

It's called a plot device. You never want your hero to be too mobile. It ruins any sense of drama when it comes to distance. Say for example Spidey needs to get across town in a few minutes or someone will die. Normally, we know he'd get there fast since he has his web shooters. Though, what if in the fight they were damaged? That gets the reader to wonder how he's going to get there in time if he can't use those or one is damaged.

With organic webshooter. You'll have to make up a new excuse every time they fail, then you also need to think of a reason why they start working again. It's a convoluted mess waiting to happen. With mechanical, you can just say "he fixed them", or "he was able to reload". It's simple, to the point, and your readers can grasp it quickly.

The organic shooters were a poor attempt to try and appease the movie audience. Movies should be based on the comics, and not vice versa. That's one of Marvel's really bad habits of taking things from the movies and putting them in the comics.

Markall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Markall

seems cool

Chibio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chibio

I liked Carlie as his girlfriend. Their break up felt very very pushed. 110% that Marvel will bring Peter and MJ back  together and I never supported and never will support that pairing.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NXH

Can't wait to get this on Hardcover

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By GraveSp

The "peter parker is the mask you wear around us" line sounds like it was stolen from Batman Begins.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By GothamRed

I feel like the point of spider-island was a very delayed attempt to get spider-man back to his pre-OMD status quo. Not a bad thing mind you, just food for thought.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I didn't like that line either because I don't think anyone that's read Spider-Man through the years would agree. While its true when he started being Spider-Man he could be more of himself (emphasized by the jokes he makes in a battle) but as his character's matured the line between the two has blurred to the point where we get one complete person vice two roles like that of Superman or Batman. Peter is basically the same person in costume or out of it with the only difference being one aspect of his life is more scientific and one is more physical but even these blend together well.

Don't really like the thing with Brock. He didn't even voluntarily go to be the cure if I remember correctly. Didn't Venom have to drag him in? It was only when the anti-venom suit was being siphoned off that he got onboard with the idea.

It is a bit disappointing that the organic webbing didn't come back into the picture considering almost everyone in New York had it. But then again if another event is coming down the road perhaps it will be something that sparks the same types of changes as The Other did where Peter has to accept more of the powers within him and we'll see it again. If The Other did anything really well it was that point that Peter may be suppressing his abilities because he fears what he'll turn into but that's something that could be revisited now.

Last.............thought Jackal died? Didn't the Queen blow him up with her sonic scream?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By buttersdaman000
    @ahgunsillyo said:

LMAO!
    Samut44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Samut44

@Chibio: Lol, same opinion

Not that I hate MJ, I just think any long term relationship with Spidey just isn't possible. I like MJ as a character, but not as a pairing with Peter (well, after a hundred+ issues).

I also liked Carlie being a girlfriend for many reasons. But yeah, I agree, Carlie and Peter's break up felt rather forced. Especially, "Hmmm... it feels like I'm forgetting someone. Probably not important" Riiiiiigggghht. Peter forgetting about Carlie, his girlfriend?

:/

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck

@ltbrd said:

Last.............thought Jackal died? Didn't the Queen blow him up with her sonic scream?

Easy way out or a way to show how 'smart' and prepared Jackal is/was? Seems more fitting that he wouldn't put himself in danger like that. The Queen wasn't the most stable person.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for top_flight_security
    Top Flight Security

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I hope Peter continues training with Shang Chi. I think it would be good for him to learn even more.

And I had just started liking Carlie. I hope the powers that be don't make her into a vengeful villain or something of the sort.

Baconbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Baconbot

@ahgunsillyo said:

Nope.

Overall, I like Spider-Island better then Fear Itself.

Oedipus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oedipus_Rex

One thing I don't understand about Spider Island is Spider Girl getting spider powers. Why does she get to keep hers without having to worry about turning into a giant spider? Did they explain that and I missed it somewhere? Her powers were different before too so I don't think it's because she had them before.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#22  Edited By pspin

Spider island was so awesome. Thhething that bugged me most was the breakup, it didn't flow with the rest of it. I hope Peter and Carlie get back together I think they are more interesting that Peter and MJ.

AdrianSchultz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AdrianSchultz

I'm very glad to see that Spidey's world is finally returning to a state WE fans like, not the crap JQ thought was right when he pulled that One More Day/Kick-Your-Readers-In-The-Crotch up his. I never liked Carley Cooper nor the fact that Spidey got a magical protection of his secret identity. Besides, spell MUST have been weak enough by now since he revealed his identity to his Avengers teammates. I can't wait to see him back with MJ.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I'm kind of sad I skipped this now.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Kaine as Scarlett Spidey, hell yes! Peter back with MJ, hell yes! Spider-Island was awesome, Marvel should have pushed this to be their main event instead of Fear Itself. I like Flash Thompson as Venom, that's cool, but hope Eddie gets another symbiote. I left Spidey after BND/OMD and came back for this, so I've had a little catching up to do. Whats the current state of the Carnage Symbiote? Maybe we could have a Carnage Eddie, that would be awesome.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By fodigg

I liked this storyline a lot, but power-wise this is really more of a regression for Pete. He's lost his Big Time power suit, he's got his spider-sense back, and how long before the writers conveniently forget about Spider-Fu? I mean, I hope they don't, but they will. Kaine is officially the new hotness with all the powers form Spider-Man: The Other and Spider-Man: Big Time.

There was a great scene in the story arc for MJ where--

--whispers "I love you," to Peter as he saves the world. I think this supports the theory that what she whispered to Mephisto was something along the lines of "because I'll remember everything," and that she's been secretly pining over Peter since OMD/BND.

Another thing regarding MJ, I wish they would just go ahead and give her superpowers already. I liked the idea of her as Jackpot, I like the idea of her as "Spider-Gal," why not just go ahead and capitalize on one of Marvel's most well-known female characters? If she's not going to be 'Peter Parker's girlfriend,' then why not make her something else you can market independently? If Pepper Potts gets to be "Rescue," I don't see why MJ can't have her own thing.

So far they've teased but never given her an ID.

So MJ no powers, Eddie no powers, Harry has failed to materialize as "American Son," no returned Ben, and Kaine took all the cool new powers away from Pete. At least Flash is still doing great as the new Venom.

SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SirSparkington

It was only a matter of time before Carlie figured out who Peter was. I guess that Spider-Man tattoo is going to be awfully awkward in future relationships.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dedpool

I knew it Kaine will be Sarlet SPider! It makes sense with his ressurection that another clone take up the mantle if Ben Reilly is dead. Yay let's bring back MJ, and give her SPider Powers. Seeing her with them finally was awesome! Or hell she could be the new Jackpot!!!

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bookerman20

@DH69: I agree 100%

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bookerman20

I'll admit it....Spider-Island got me right back into Spider-Man. Can't wait for the hardcover edition and I agree with whoever said this event was better than Fear Itself. I know Kaine has stingers, does Peter still have his??

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Trodorne

1. Kaine: PARKER BROTHERS AWAY!
     2. Charlie Cooper: The part that really pissed me off was the fact she walked out on peter, She knew he was spider-man. even after the interrigation and made him admit it she still left him. A REAL relationship would have made her stay for a bit longer but would have force peter not to lie to her again on that. Honestly the man deserves slack after saving 1.4 million people.
    3. O.M.I.T.: Dammit, why did I have to be reminded of that.
    4. Mary Jane: It took me a couple of years for me to get over the fact that marriage to mary jane was over and done with. it was like a bad break up that left you scarred. Now we see them almost getting back together.... GOD DAMMIT!

SERENITY NOW!

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I miss Kaine's scars. Now that he's pretty like everyone else in comics, he's not unique. Does he still have his "mark of kaine" death touch now that they're gone?

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By The Jeff

besides Flashpoint, Spider-Island was my fav event of the last few months

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#34  Edited By Joygirl

Can I dare to hope that Eddie might get his original symbiote back..? Or a clone or something?

EvilAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EvilAndy

@Oedipus_Rex said:

One thing I don't understand about Spider Island is Spider Girl getting spider powers. Why does she get to keep hers without having to worry about turning into a giant spider? Did they explain that and I missed it somewhere? Her powers were different before too so I don't think it's because she had them before.

I never saw an explanation on how she kept her powers, but then again they never explained how she lost them so why start making sense now.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hector

The only thing I hope doesn't happen is that people will not appreciate Spider-Man as much now that they'll all have worn his shoes and know how it is to be Spider-Man.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#37  Edited By ImperiousRix

I admit that I dropped Spider Island after part 4, so I missed a lot of the big revelations. Glad to know what happened in the aftermath since, at a point, I stopped caring what was going on in the main storyline and just wanted to know what all this stuff was going to change.

Best change: Kaine as Scarlet Spider! It was a long shot that Ben was going to come back, and I'd still prefer he was Scarlet Spider. But heck, if there is going to be a new one, I'm glad it's another clone of Peter and it's a character with so much interesting backstory. Good on ya, Marvel.

Worst change: Having Carlie break up with Pete. Not only did I really like her and thought she was a nice/different love interest for Pete, but I shudder to think what this means for Pete's relationship with MJ. It's already being teased fairly heavily in this that Pete's identity is no longer safe, but if they also make it so he gets back together with MJ, it'll make all that ridiculous One More Day nonsense even more pointless than it already is.

Perhaps that's the point, but still. I liked that Slott was actually accepting the One More Day changes and making his Spidey run really fun because of (and in spite of) them.

astrid12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By astrid12

@DH69 said:

why couldnt they give him back the organic webbing, im one of the people who actually liked it... Also super dissapointed Caselli didnt do the artwork for all of spider-island instead of just the prologue and epilogue his artwork is great.

I agree, his art is great and has gotten better since his Young Avengers/Runaways/Initiative days, or maybe it's the colorists that makes it pop, but yes his artwork would have been amazing for every issue

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By frozenedge2

Why do they keep dragging Mary Jane into everything? She's not even that useful, she doesn't even really do anything. I wish they hadn't have broken Carlie and Peter up, it seemed like they were just starting to date. I bet I can guess how this whole Peter-MJ thing is gonna work out. They'll have an 'accidental' one night stand, talk about that age old wedding they never had, realize they still have feelings for each other and get back together. Its just like that played out Scott-Jean-Logan love triangle thats still being used today even though Jean's dead.

Edmundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Edmundus

@AdrianSchultz said:

I'm very glad to see that Spidey's world is finally returning to a state WE fans like, not the crap JQ thought was right when he pulled that One More Day/Kick-Your-Readers-In-The-Crotch up his. I never liked Carley Cooper nor the fact that Spidey got a magical protection of his secret identity. Besides, spell MUST have been weak enough by now since he revealed his identity to his Avengers teammates. I can't wait to see him back with MJ.

This. So much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well does MJ really have to do anything? Do the wives of super heroes need to be productive themselves? Does every wife need to be like Lois Lane, or Sue Storm? Yeah it was cool that Carlie is a cop but what did she really bring to the table other than that? This applies to the husbands of female superheroes (and on that note G-Man what about an Off Their Minds of female superheroes having non-powered husbands) as well.

What is wrong with Peter just being married to a normal person with a normal career? The 90's had amazing stories of their relationship during times like Maximum Carnage, Harry Osborn's manipulations, going through Traveler's trials, the clone saga, and others. Yeah she can't turn invisible, she doesn't report on the news, she isn't a cop..........so what. She also rarely gets into danger compared to other wives/girlfriends (yeah she's had her times but aside from the Raimi movies MJ is not often put in a dangerous situation every single issue or event arc) and has a life of her own away from the superhero community. Plus its great to see characters like Wolverine or Daredevil constantly give Peter about how he could possibly have such a hot wife.

Of the most well known comic book characters Peter and MJ have the most normal relationship you can think of with Clark and Lois being second. Notice I said well known......not talking about guys like Animal Man. That should be something Marvel is happy to keep because you can still write good stories about them without MJ needing to do anything.

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

what I am perhaps the most excited about for this series is Kaine. I always liked him as a character but never could get into his costume. that seems to be a thing of the past. He looks great on paper. He reads well as a character now, not just some nightmarish - Bizarro version of peter parker anymore. I also love how the artist made him like a fuller bodied version of our favorite wall crawler. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tmul501

Don't forget that Peter also knows Kung Fu now AND has spider sense, which to me means he should be super awesome at fighting now. Right? RIGHT?!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By InnerVenom123

You forgot that he now has kung-fu skills!

Omniaural

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Omniaural

I'm sure I saw a reference in Deadly Foes that Jackal's clones can regenerate or is that specific to Kaine? If so, there's no reason why there's can't be a Ben Reilly out there somewhere who has shunned the superhero life or has gone about it quietly after coming back from being goo-ified.

I also think SI has turned out to be the event of the year. All the tie-ins I've read have supported the main title very well in their own ways. Making it worth reading them as they give you clues as to what's going on before its revealed in the main story. It actually achieved the fabled aim of the main title being readable on it's own whilst the mini's told a story that stood on its own but fleshed out some of the smaller parts of the whole.

Great Stuff! Dan Slott has made the best Spiderman run I've read for a long time. I liked JMS run for different reasons but this really does feel like 70's/80's spiderman for a new generation. No doubt it'll follow the cycle and get more mature with time only to be rebooted again, but that's mainstream comics for you!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlKusanagi

That whole "Peter Parker is the disguise" thing is waaaaaay too Batman. Pretty weak writing, especially when Spider-Man is all about the humanity of the character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tmul501: that was definitely the worst part of Spider-Island. Not the fact that he's learning martial arts but that the writers treated it like a power. "Oh I'm getting beat up..........time to kick in Spider Fu." Horrible writing for this new aspect of his character.

But more than that I'm just worried it will be forgotten now that the spider-sense is back in full swing. It is a great progression of his character and yet I can see writers shying away from it because its not traditional Spider-Man fighting style. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and they allow him to continue training and using his new fighting style.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By fodigg

@ltbrd said:

Well does MJ really have to do anything? Do the wives of super heroes need to be productive themselves? Does every wife need to be like Lois Lane, or Sue Storm? Yeah it was cool that Carlie is a cop but what did she really bring to the table other than that? This applies to the husbands of female superheroes (and on that note G-Man what about an Off Their Minds of female superheroes having non-powered husbands) as well.

What is wrong with Peter just being married to a normal person with a normal career? The 90's had amazing stories of their relationship during times like Maximum Carnage, Harry Osborn's manipulations, going through Traveler's trials, the clone saga, and others. Yeah she can't turn invisible, she doesn't report on the news, she isn't a cop..........so what. She also rarely gets into danger compared to other wives/girlfriends (yeah she's had her times but aside from the Raimi movies MJ is not often put in a dangerous situation every single issue or event arc) and has a life of her own away from the superhero community. Plus its great to see characters like Wolverine or Daredevil constantly give Peter about how he could possibly have such a hot wife.

Of the most well known comic book characters Peter and MJ have the most normal relationship you can think of with Clark and Lois being second. Notice I said well known......not talking about guys like Animal Man. That should be something Marvel is happy to keep because you can still write good stories about them without MJ needing to do anything.

There's nothing wrong with giving a superhero a non-powered supporting cast, but if MJ is being broken out of her traditional "love interest" role, what does she have? She's either "Spider-Man's Buddy," or she's not used at all. That's pretty unfortunate for a character that's arguably Marvel's most recognizable female character (I'd say, in the running with Storm and Mystique).

Why not capitalize on that value by giving her powers and establishing her as a unique hero? I think a Spider-Gal title could have sold pretty well. I mean, if she's not being used as a love interest, why not?

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: Venom went crazy and attacked Brock. Brock than volunteered once he spoke with Reed and even said he would've just came in if Venom just asked instead of attacking him.

Avatar image for fantasticmrinvisibletorchthing
    FantasticMrInvisibleTorchThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized that Parker does pretty much catch a LOT of breaks.

Two that come to mind would be Mephisto erasing everyone's memory of him unmasking himself, and then this OMIT thing you mentioned.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.