Should spiderman be able to regenerate body parts?

#1 Posted by Bezza (3644 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand spiders can grow back limbs and other body parts, so am wondering why the Amazing Spiderman hasn't done this in any of his stories. If anyone should have a healing factor it should be him!

#2 Edited by clonesaga2099 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza

They won't do that because a lot of people don't know that, and he'll be accused of ripping off Wolverine and Deadpool. If they gave Spider-Man a regenerative power, it could end up like Wolverine: getting completely out of control.

#3 Edited by 8008S (470 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes the character too OP to genuinely care about his safety. Dodging practically every lethal hit thrown at him and recovering from severed limbs/organs?

That being said though his "rapid healing" works for me, given people who break multiple bones and sustain heavy injuries regularly wouldn't go unnoticed by their family/friends.

#4 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe that's only certain breeds of spider, and not the kind he was bitten by.

#5 Posted by SoA (4836 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't he grow his eye back back in the other? i know kaine did something similar in his book , if he suffered heavy damage he would be cocooned and healed up . given he became a bloodthirsty monster for a bit but something close to that extent would be ok i guess. but nothing like deadpool or wolverine where he just waits a few minute and his limbs are grown back .

#6 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@soa: Not exactly the same thing compared to the "Other". I don't think that every time Peter or Kaine could heal up like this. The gifts of the "Other" are offered once in a lifetime to a Spider-person (or at least that's what I think, after reading Stracz. and Yost's relative comic books).

#7 Posted by SheenLantern (6656 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

the movie is bad enough without limbs flying around.

#9 Edited by Black_Katana (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know... growing back limbs? I think it depends on what species of spider, then again he is radioactive. Personally, I like that he can't. Makes him more human in a sense, no need to complicate things with him having an almost immortality factor.

#10 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern: That's a good question, but the answer is probably no, cause the "Other" has chosen Kaine, who seems to be a better "host" for that "creature" (Scarlet Spider 13 - 15). Nevertheless, we're talking about comic book stories, anything can happen again and again and again.

#11 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6482 posts) - - Show Bio

His costume already reminds me a little of Deadpool. Imagine what the healing factor would do...Though it does make sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.