Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Should I drop Superior Spiderman-Man?

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FiguredOut95

I am a long time fan of our freindly Web-head and have read many graphic novels and Slotts run since the start and often defended him even with his flaws, I didn't even mind him killing off Spider-Man (cause we all know he will be back in the long run) but anyway the point is Superior-Spiderman is just bland and boring, should I drop it? Does any one think it will get better? I feel as if I am betraying one of my favourt charecters and not opeing my mind to new ideas. Any thoughts?

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FiguredOut95

bump

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
    deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Wait a few more issues before you dump it, I think it needs a bit more time before we make judgement.

Mighty Thorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 34

#4  Edited By Mighty Thorion

If you don't enjoy a title, don't read it. I'm actually enjoying reading Spider-Man for the first time in many years.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FiguredOut95

@Mighty Thorion: Ahhh good, don't get me wrong I like the concept I just feel the delivery is a little stale.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Manbehindthewires

@FiguredOut95: I'd hold out til "Fired" in April, I think all we're doing at the moment is slowly setting up for it, which may be why you think it feels stale. I get the feeling Slott wants Ock to trip up and make mistakes and give away his identity (or at least cast doubt upon Spider-man's identity) but he's waiting for all the pieces to fall into place. If you're already caught up to Feb, it'd seem a bit pointless to just miss out on the one issue before that...

No Caption Provided
    skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By skooks

If you're not feeling a book then you're not feeling it, that doesn't mean you're closed-minded. Why waste your money on something you're not enjoying? Especially when it ships twice a month! You could give it a couple more issues but I say drop it, spend your money on something else you might enjoy a ton more :)

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phaedrusgr

First of all, many spidey fans dislike the concept. No need to feel bad about it. To be honest, I can't stand the whole SSM thing. I gave it a try and I found it completely mediocre and boring. If you like it, read it. If you don't, drop it. Spend your money or your time in a way that pleases you the most. It's a comic book, right?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Veshark

Personally, I enjoy the series. But the mindset that I'm having when I read Superior is that 'this is all temporary - so just enjoy the ride'. I'm reading it as though it's one really long 'story arc' that culminates in Peter Parker returning back to life, and I find that this sort of POV definitely makes me enjoy the book more. When I finally stop thinking about how much the idea bugs me, I can finally take in the actual story for itself.

That being said, if you're not enjoying it, drop the book! If you're still unsure about the series, either reread earlier issues or hang on for a couple more new issues before making your decision.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spinningbirdcake

Are you reading Avenging Spider-Man? Yost writes a better Superior Spidey than Slott does I think, not to knock Slott as I'm enjoying the main title. I would hold out until the Fired arc starts up, but If you're still not enjoying it give Avenging Spider-Man a chance just to make sure it isn't the general concept you're unhappy with or if it's the way Slott is writing it.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    @Mighty Thorion

If you don't enjoy a title, don't read it. I'm actually enjoying reading Spider-Man for the first time in many years.

This
    fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By fury714

Give the first arc a try before dropping it. :) But if it really doesn't float your boat, get something else worth your money then. I found this whole twist really interesting. :D

Adriell2124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Adriell2124

Honestly?

Drop it like it's hot man.

I bought the Stegman issues and it was decent enough but not worth $4.

While some plot points may be interesting, the execution is mediocre.

Just read about what happens instead of wasting your money.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DH69

suprisingly the only part i havent enjoyed so far was the little reveal the latest issue had on the last page...made me quite angry, but i knew marvel wouldnt have the brains to keep that little reveal at bay for atleast half a year...

jon_n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jon_n7

This book is great. I read a lot of key arcs just recently for the first time and looking at it as a whole; it's great! You can actually see the progression of Peter and how he worked before he "died" was getting to be routine. Not just in the book but it felt like Pete was getting comfortable with his life and then this thing happens (brain manipulation) and it's teaching him that yeah "maybe i could've done better at being spider-man" and ock is showing him how in some ways. Yes, Pete is a great "Hero" but not as efficient as he could be. I see it as a big lecture Ock is giving Pete and when pete comes back he going to be better than ever and mature as a Hero. And this gives Slott a chance to revert some things. He can really take anything in any direction and set up Pete for a good return. I just wish i would've started reading sooner! I just started comics back in sept. with the new 52 and kept it DC until 700. I've always liked spidey, but felt intimidated to start reading because at the time "Spider- Island" was happening and I went with the Ultimate Spider-man up to the death arc. (me not knowing the differnce) Plus Petes reactions to some of the things is priceless and hilarious. It's a really fun book IMO and it got me enjoying comics again when I was feeling they were getting pretty stale.

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By InfamousFish

Honestly, as others have said, wait till 'Fired'. After that arc, if you still don't like it, drop it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

I did, but I'll pick it up when Fired starts. Waid, Yost, and now Hockman have written a better Superior Spider-Man than Slott, and I hate to admit it.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I stop reading since Alpha.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By acer51

I love it but you really shouldn't read it if you don't enjoy it.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JimTheSurfer

@Gambit1024 said:

I did, but I'll pick it up when Fired starts. Waid, Yost, and now Hockman have written a better Superior Spider-Man than Slott, and I hate to admit it.

Wait... I know that except SS superior has appeared also in DareDevil and Avengers... Where else?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

@JimTheSurfer said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Wait... I know that except SS superior has appeared also in DareDevil and Avengers... Where else?

Yost's Avenging Spider-Man. New issue was out today. Admittedly, last month's was better, but this month's was still very well done. Lot's of foreboding stuff, including a possible new angle on the Sinister Six (that's what I'm guessing it is, anyway) .

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JimTheSurfer

@Gambit1024 said:

@JimTheSurfer said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yost's Avenging Spider-Man. New issue was out today. Admittedly, last month's was better, but this month's was still very well done. Lot's of foreboding stuff, including a possible new angle on the Sinister Six (that's what I'm guessing it is, anyway) .

Oh, thought so.

I forgot, the new one is out today. Ok, I am off to store. :D

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PaperDemon

Yes. Its pretty awful in my opinion... Read up on the new ultimate spiderman if youve read the old ones FIRST(important) they have introduced a new spiderman.... Miles morales.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By End_Boss

LIKE A HOT TURD.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@End_Boss: lol, you'll choke me...I was drinking water...

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HushoftheWind

You can always read up on Kaine in Scarlet Spider, that's been a good read so far

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@HushoftheWind: It's a great read so far, way superior to Superior...

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in the same boat as you. I gave the new series a chance and thought it could be interesting but its just coming off as bland. I find for every issue I like there is two I do not like. What I am going to do is give it up till issue 12 that would normally be a full year of comics to see if I like the direction and if there is any hope for Peters return.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheTrollDance

I'd say it's about to get better, as it seems like Peter's part in the series is about to get much bigger.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I loved the issues with Ryan Stegman, but as soon as he stopped drawing I lost interest. I thought the first few issues were interesting, but as Ock keeps getting worse I feel like I can't bring myself to read the book. Too much anxiety!

Once the Goblin comes back though, I'll totally start reading again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.