Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Shocker & Rhino 101 (Mandatory for n00bs)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about two Spider-Man villains: Shocker and Rhino. There's a lot of false information floating around about Shocker's tech, and there's a plethora of opinions about Rhino's combat effectiveness and intellect. So, here are the basics and hopefully this thread will help!

Shocker

-His armor-When Herman built the vibro-gauntlets to project blasts of concentrated vibrations (note: NOT electric), he needed something to protect his own body from the effects. The armor itself isn't what makes him so durable, it's the vibrational shield it provides. This isn't some large bubble like Magneto can produce, it's a thin layer surrounding him. This shield has proven effective enough to protect Herman from Spider-Man's superhuman strikes and even a sniper rifle round. The heavy caliber round deflected off of his back, but it's important to note Herman questioned how much more his armor could take. Therefore, it's possible a few higher caliber rounds can bypass his shield, but this has never been proven. We have never seen how the shield holds up to cutting/stabbing damage, so that is also up for speculation.

-His blasts-As stated above, the belief that he has an electric based attack is false. It was earlier in his history that Shocker was able to control the power behind his blasts. He could make them weak enough to KO a person, or strong enough to destroy a bank vault or "turn a human's bones into jelly." The latter has never actually been done in combat. As expected, he can fire two blasts, one from each hand at a fairly rapid rate. I don't recall him ever overloading or losing the power from firing too frequently. While he's not especially accurate, he has tagged Spider-Man numerous times throughout his history, which is likely a credit to the frequency of his blasts and their speed/size.

-Other-Herman is a gifted engineer with no real large scale objectives. At the end of the day, he's often driven by lower crime goals, such as robbing a bank. While he was briefly taking a turn to the anti-hero side in Spider-Island, that was short-lived and he'll later appear as a regular in Villains for Hire.

Rhino

-Physicals-It's a common misconception that his exposed face is exceptionally weak. While it's true he's obviously less durable than his armor, he's still superhuman without it. It's a weakness, the theory that a peak human could easily defeat him by connecting there once is not true. It's also important to note he has an immunity to gas, as proven when Scoprion tried to use the method on Rhino and he simply taunted the fellow villain. The notion that he'll lose by charging and getting stuck in an environment is unlikely at best. This happened once in his earlier appearance and he broke free from the wall. While charging, it's estimated he can run 100 mph. Aleksei has superhuman stamina, so the belief he'll quickly become exhausted is also false (like he did after taking a few swings at Captain America). At his best, he is indeed capable of giving Spider-Man a good fight, but Spider-Man's vastly superior agility, variety of webbing and more has also allowed him to quickly end encounters with him. He's not sporting 100+ ton level strength like characters such as Colossus/Thing/ect, but he's instead in the 75-80 ton range (last I knew).

-Intellect-It's a common belief that Rhino is a flat-out idiot. Titles like Punisher: War Journal have portrayed him like this, but there are just as many, if not more, proving Rhino is average in that regard. So sure, there are some showings where he's a complete fool that can trip over his own foot, but those are outweighed by the ones showing he has a normal level of intellect.

-Jobber Aura-Unfortunately, Rhino is more-or-less the Killer Croc of the Marvel Universe. Rhino has KC completely outclassed in physicals, but the notion of the similarties is that he's treated as a jobber by many writers. Just like the part regarding his intellect, he varies in showings. Sometimes he'll get credit from Spider-Man and give him a hell of a fight, othertimes virtually anyone can get him to fall overhimself. Simply put, while he's not even close to being one of the most powerful bricks, he's well above street level and it's a total mismatch when he's placed against characters like Nightwing/Bane/etc. Simply put, he'd one-shot them. However, there are obviously expections with characters like Wolverine (who can bypass his durability with adamantium claws) and Cyclops (powerful enough projectiles).

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

If you feel I missed anything relevant, I'll gladly update the OP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You pretty much covered all the major misconceptions about the 2 characters. 

Nice job K4tz.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: Please. Make this a series. I'd love you to death for it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@_slim_: Thank you.

@ReVamp: LOL. I only possess so much knowledge! But yeah, I'll gladly make more if I'm qualified for the character.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: Even if you don't have the knowledge, you can still write it, everyone'll believe you regardless :P

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

Now hopefully people won't use scans of him vs Captain America.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Doubtful.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By entropy_aegis

@k4tzm4n said:

@entropy_aegis: Doubtful.

sigh.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: If you're going to have Cap v Rhino in a book, the least you can have him do is win via shield damage to the face, LOL

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Bumping just in case others are interested.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I heard that rhino beat fought against doc Samson and won. Is it true?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @k4tzm4n: I'm so glad you pointed this out. Yes people its Shocker as in shock wave not Shocker as in electric shock.
    Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By GrandSymbiote94
    @k4tzm4n said:

T

Rhino

-Intellect-It's a common belief that Rhino is a flat-out idiot. Titles like Punisher: War Journal have portrayed him like this, but there are just as many, if not more, proving Rhino is average in that regard. So sure, there are some showings where he's a complete fool that can trip over his own foot, but those are outweighed by the ones showing he has a normal level of intellect.

This is the main thing that I wanted to clear up.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

You're welcome. @Death Certificate, I haven't read all of Rhino's classic appearances in the older Hulk series. So, it's possible, but I can't give a certain y/n.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

This thread rules. Please make more, dude :)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Thank you.

Would you guys rather see one for Kraven or Crossbones?

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By termiteone4ever

well said

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Thanks.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @k4tzm4n said:

Thank you.

Crossbones. I think Kraven already enjoys sufficient respect, whereas Crossbones' fights with Buck have taken away some of his glamour for newer readers.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n

Either one of them would be great.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Fair enough. Crossbones it shall be.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@ReVamp said:

@k4tzm4n: Please. Make this a series. I'd love you to death for it.

Crossbones!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: I don't know if you're still making these, but one with Morlun would be fantastical.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: Morph is the man for Morlun. My knowledge on him is basic.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: Ah. Okay :)

Looks at Morph evilly.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

As a person new to shocker and Rhino, i feel offended by the term N00b were people too y'know!!

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Degalon

@k4tzm4n:

One thing I feel needs mentioning about Shocker, is his personality. A big part of his character is that he's not some megalomaniacal supervillain with delusions of grandeur. He's just a career criminal, he knows this, and he focuses on his. At the end of the day, his top priority is the money. That's all he's in it for. And despite his defeats by heroes, he's been shows as being VERY good at what he does. He's probably one of the more "professional" villains Spider-Man has.

I wish I could find a scan of what the Hood says about him during Shocker's confrontation with force. I don't remember exactly what he said, I just remember that I liked it.

Sorry, I love that fact because I have a deep respect for characters who have deep-rooted professionalism. (Hence my love for Bane, Taskmaster, Shocker, etc).

GroovyAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Very good. I love Shocker. You don't happen to know when it was that he blocked the Sniper round, do you?

If you're continuing these, you should do one for Mysterio.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By silent_bomber

@groovyash said:

@k4tzm4n: Very good. I love Shocker. You don't happen to know when it was that he blocked the Sniper round, do you?

Only bullet-deflect I can think of at the moment was during Deadly Foes of Spider-Man issue 3

No Caption Provided

Maybe there's another one though

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@silent_bomber: That's the one! If my memory is half decent, the next page should have Herman questioning how many more bullets he'd be able to withstand.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@k4tzm4n said:

@silent_bomber: That's the one! If my memory is half decent, the next page should have Herman questioning how many more bullets he'd be able to withstand.

Yup, It says something like "won't be so lucky again" and then he steals a car

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.