Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17251 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Repercussions? Superior Spider-man #5 (SPOILERS)

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

You have been warned if you haven't read Superior Spider-Man #5 - SPOILERS BELOW

With Spock executing Massacre , not killing accidentally, actually killing him in cold blood, as well as setting up a system to monitor everyone & everything. What do you think the repercussions would be from this.

I see a number of them. (You are welcome to add more)

Within the super-hero community

1. Peter's reputation & trust as a hero will be gone and when Peter returns it will take a looong time to repair the damage caused.
    2. The Avengers would not take this lightly, what do they say, Super-heroes don't kill.
    3. It plays to the Superior Spider-Man is Fired arc in April
    4. Wolverine & Daredevil would have their suspicions heightened even further.

The people of the city

1. some will love him
    2. some will fear him
    3. J. Jonah Jameson will likely praise him and give him the freedom to do things

Personal

1. When Peter returns, he will have to try to live with the reality that SpOck killed a man using his body.
    2. Mary Jane will wonder what is going on and can't understand why Peter did this and why he is behaving soo out off character, unless Carlie share her suspicions with her. she would also likely keep her distance from him, as she wonders what happened to the man she loved and still loves to an extent. Topic: Feelings on the future relationship between Mary Jane & SSM
    3. Carlie Cooper will have further verification that he is not Peter and possibly place her life in danger trying to put things right. Topic: Is Carlie's life in danger? (Spoilers) / What do you think Carlie & Black Cat reaction will be to SSM?
    4. Max Modell at Horizon Labs will probably sever all ties with spider-man and possibly fire SpOck, although legally I don't see how.
    5. Aunt May would have even more reason to fear Spider-man.
    6. Black Cat would both wonder why he did it and be intrigued that he did it. Personally I would like to think that she tries to find out what going on, because like Mary & Carlie, she knows Spider-man character and that Spider-man DOES NOT KILL. Topic: What do you think Carlie & Black Cat reaction will be to SSM?
    7. Personal wish - Silver Sable comes out of hiding, as I still believe she is alive (no body & statement by Julia Carpenter) and stops him before he does anymore damage. Topic: What do you think Carlie & Black Cat reaction will be to SSM?
    Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ninjablade09

It will take along time for Peter to heal on a personal level. He should , if there smart, have that image of what happen appear in his head when he beats a villain similar massacre. I also think Pete will be more aggressive and violent if Ock returns as Doc Ock due to what Ock knows and is capable of now based on what he did and learned.

@animehunter: Why did you put spoiler blocks in your post if you warned people twice it would contain spoilers, in the tittle and in the header.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By animehunter

@Ninjablade09: I wanted to prevent any accidental glances for those that changed their minds.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By VeganDiet

I really didn't like this issue. It was way too dark, and Spider-man has basically become Batman at this point. I don't mind dark stories in Spider-man from time to time, but watching Massacre gun down a whole lot of people last issue and again in this issue is just a little more than I want from Spider-man. That and the fact that Spider-man is now pretty much Batman in red and blue has left a really sour taste in my mouth. I read Batman to read about Batman. How about I get some Spider-man in my Spider-man title.

And the constant attempts to make SpOck seem like such a better Spider-man than Pete have gotten old. We don't need constant reminders that Pete "never thought about doing that," every issue especially when "that" leads to the violent death and maiming doesn't make him seem Superior. I don't have problem with SpOck being a different kind of hero than Pete, but I'm not gonna accept him as better no matter how many times the story tries to convince me.

I don't mind the development at the end. I knew something like this would happen eventually, and it could lead to some very interesting stories.

Overall, I much prefer Avenging Spider-man to Superior. Yost seems to have the portrayal of SpOck down better and doesn't try to make Pete look like a chump in comparison. If the next story arc isn't much better, I may be giving up on SSM. I want Peter back now, more than ever.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ninjablade09

@animehunter: Ah

@VeganDiet: You mean red and black now.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@VeganDiet: "Overall, I much prefer Avenging Spider-man to Superior. Yost seems to have the portrayal of SpOck down better and doesn't try to make Pete look like a chump in comparison. If the next story arc isn't much better, I may be giving up on SSM. I want Peter back now, more than ever".

Exactly my thoughts. Slott's being very sloppy. I hate the pseudo-batmanish aspect. SSM till now (apart from some brilliant Yost moments)? Boring, mediocre, kind of stupid.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By JimTheSurfer

It was awesome. Spidey kills... I've been waiting for this for so long... Best issue ever!!!

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@JimTheSurfer: Honestly, I like your positivity and I'm not kidding. Alas, I can't share it with SSM...

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Death Certificate

Back to Square one, thus completing OMD

@Phaedrusgr: @VeganDiet:

You do realize that Batman doesn't kill right?

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Death Certificate: I said pseudo-batmanish, cause he's definitely no batman. You do know what pseudo means right?

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Phaedrusgr: Like owlman?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JonSmith

The Avengers have no reason to fire Spidey for this, once Peter is back and he explains what happened (like an intelligent person).

Scarlet Witch is on an Avengers team, and she did a LOT worse than killing one sociopath who was in the middle of a subway station trying to kill both everyone there and hostages.

Hawkeye and Widow are on an Avengers team, and they're currently [REDACTED].

Hell, freaking WOLVERINE is on the Avengers. And if we started naming all the people he's killed, innocent or otherwise, we all would STARVE TO DEATH before we finished the list!

As for Horizon, Pete can trust Modell. That should be obvious. If Peter explains the situation, or hell, even if he just says, "Spider-man's a close friend. I've backed him up throughout my entire career. His recent behavior bothered me, and I let it dig into my work and my colleagues." Modell should hire him back.

Simply put, if Peter loses his job at Horizon or his spot on the Avengers over this, and it sticks, I'll be immensely agitated.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator

Thank you OP/TC - I appreciate your use of spoilers. Just wanted to randomly insert that in. I am interested to read the issue and see how other characters react.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Death Certificate: Well, something like that. But if you read SSM 05 you have to see Slott keeps using batmanish elements, like the spider-sign in SSM 04 etc etc. Anyway, if you place it in a strict context, SpOck's definitely no Batman...

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ninjablade09

@Phaedrusgr said:

@Death Certificate: Well, something like that. But if you read SSM 05 you have to see Slott keeps using batmanish elements, like the spider-sign in SSM 04 etc etc. Anyway, if you place it in a strict context, SpOck's definitely no Batman...

And references. Superior's talk with Uatu is a reference to Dark Knight.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VeganDiet

@Death Certificate said:

Back to Square one, thus completing OMD

@Phaedrusgr: @VeganDiet:

You do realize that Batman doesn't kill right?

Yes I know. But there are very obvious Batman elements at play in these stories. I prefer those elements to stay in Batman stories.

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@VeganDiet: To be fair Slott did mention that Superior would have a darker tone than his Amazing run...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

This is definitely gonna play into Carlie's suspicions.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DH69

well the avengers are gonna kick him out, this has already been shown with previews.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VeganDiet

@Death Certificate: That's true. But his exact words were "dark and weird" and he stated quite a few times it wasn't going to be "grim and gritty." Spider-man shot a man in the head after causing the maiming and death of several cops. How is that not grim and gritty?

This is just much darker than I want from a Spider-man book.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By InnerVenom123

@VeganDiet said:

@Death Certificate: That's true. But his exact words were "dark and weird" and he stated quite a few times it wasn't going to be "grim and gritty." Spider-man shot a man in the head after causing the maiming and death of several cops. How is that not grim and gritty?

Because the entire time a ghost was floating around in his head telling him to stop.

You got your weird, you got your dark.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

@VeganDiet said:

And the constant attempts to make SpOck seem like such a better Spider-man than Pete have gotten old. We don't need constant reminders that Pete "never thought about doing that," every issue especially when "that" leads to the violent death and maiming doesn't make him seem Superior.

There have only been two "why didn't I think of that?" moments. That's hardly constant.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By TDK_1997

After this issue Carlie's suspicions will be hightened.

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By camstevens80

2 things: 1. I would argue chances are high hat SS didn't kill Massacre. Nobody says he killed him, just that he stopped him. 2. Slott does a nice job of foreshadowing Doc returning to evil when he tells Massacre that people don't change.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VeganDiet

@InnerVenom123 said:

@VeganDiet said:

Because the entire time a ghost was floating around in his head telling him to stop.

You got your weird, you got your dark.

Someone with no control over their body begging Ock not to use his hands to commit murder made it less grim? Gonna disagree with you there. That's not mentioning Massacre ripping Kafka's eye out or murdering an entire restaurant full of people. It's just darker than I like my Spider-man comics to be.

@InnerVenom123 said:

@VeganDiet said:

And the constant attempts to make SpOck seem like such a better Spider-man than Pete have gotten old. We don't need constant reminders that Pete "never thought about doing that," every issue especially when "that" leads to the violent death and maiming doesn't make him seem Superior.

There have only been two "why didn't I think of that?" moments. That's hardly constant.

That happening twice (three times if you count the Mary Jane thing) in five issues is kind of a lot. Or maybe it just feels like it to me because I hate the old "Make the old character look like a buffoon to prop up the new character thing," so much.

We also have the inner narration talking about how much better SpOck is than Peter pretty constantly. At the beginning of issue 4 he goes on this long spiel about how he's "apprehending 4 times as many criminals as his predecessor" and "preventing the theft of over 12 million additional dollars in property."

When the narration and Peter himself are bending over backwards to make Ock seem so much better at being Spider-man it gets old quick. I get that it's in Ock's character to brag constantly, doesn't mean it's not annoying to read.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By consolemaster001

He'll be exposed to the avengers who will THEN kick him out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.