Red and Blue or Red and Black?

#1 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man's original costume was black where it's usually portrayed as blue now. Could this be the reason Miles Morales' costume is red and black? Which do you like better, the original red and black or the classic red and blue?

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12982 posts) - - Show Bio

It was never black...just extremely dark blue....I'm pretty sure

#3 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

It was never black...just extremely dark blue....I'm pretty sure

I've seen the original comics, it was BLACK, like blending perfectly with the shadows black.

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12982 posts) - - Show Bio
@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

It was never black...just extremely dark blue....I'm pretty sure

I've seen the original comics, it was BLACK, like blending perfectly with the shadows black.

I don't know I am quasi color blind....but I always thought it was dark blue, then made lighter as years went on....maybe someone else can enlighten
#5 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Still, if Marvel decided to make the blue on his costume black, would you care? Like is that was the ONLY change they made?

#6 Posted by cattlebattle (12982 posts) - - Show Bio
@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle: Still, if Marvel decided to make the blue on his costume black, would you care? Like is that was the ONLY change they made?

I like the blue...the darker blue actually, It is a lot more logical for him to wear black though
#7 Edited by The_Tree (7726 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

It was never black...just extremely dark blue....I'm pretty sure

I've seen the original comics, it was BLACK, like blending perfectly with the shadows black.

I don't know I am quasi color blind....but I always thought it was dark blue, then made lighter as years went on....maybe someone else can enlighten

It's a very dark blue.

Red & Blue is the Spider-Man suit. I can take temporary variations to the costume, but you can't stop a classic.

#8 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: I would actually welcome it, because 1: It looks so cool! And 2: It makes him look more like a spider since there are no red and blue spiders. Sure that's not much of a reason, since Wolverine wears yellow and blue and Wolverine's are yellow and blue, but it'd still look great!! In fact, I have a feeling that if the reboot didn't have so much criticism to begin with the suit might have been red and black to distance itself from the first trilogy. I don't know that, but it does make sense.

#9 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

It was never black...just extremely dark blue....I'm pretty sure

I've seen the original comics, it was BLACK, like blending perfectly with the shadows black.

I don't know I am quasi color blind....but I always thought it was dark blue, then made lighter as years went on....maybe someone else can enlighten

It's a very dark blue.

Red & Blue is the Spider-Man suit. I can take temporary variations to the costume, but you can't stop a classic.

I've seen versions of this scene where it was black. Look, I'm just saying there has to be a reason why both the Alex Ross and new Ultimate versions of the costume are red and black. You could argue it's because that's what the artist wanted, but I think that when there are scenes where he's hiding in the shadows, the suit is blending in perfectly aside from the red, and when he's in the light it's black then it was originally black.

#10 Posted by The_Tree (7726 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: By Alex Ross, are you talking about the concept he created for the Raimi Spider-Man film that never ended up being used?

#11 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Yes I am. Look I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong on that particular matter, but I also posed a question as to which is better? I like the classic costume, but if they change the blue parts to black I wouldn't mind, I'd probably be excited for it.

#12 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

The original was red and dark blue and its the best, although the black symbiote suit was great too.

#13 Posted by danhimself (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

It was never black...just extremely dark blue....I'm pretty sure

I've seen the original comics, it was BLACK, like blending perfectly with the shadows black.

I don't know I am quasi color blind....but I always thought it was dark blue, then made lighter as years went on....maybe someone else can enlighten

It's a very dark blue.

Red & Blue is the Spider-Man suit. I can take temporary variations to the costume, but you can't stop a classic.

those blue areas are actually highlights....this is the same problem that happened with the original X-men costumes...colorists back in the day used blue to highlight black areas on a costume and it was misinterpreted and eventually the black areas were changed to blue...so Spider-man's costume ended up being red and blue and the X-men ended up being yellow and blue

#14 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Exactly!!! To give Spider-Man a more sinister, dangerous look: Spider-man's original costume was actually red and black. The red and black color scheme for Spider-Man's costume was in keeping with the spider motif: dangerous and sinister, almost appearing villainous. This is why the eyes of Spider-Man's mask are so sinister looking. The perfect counter-balance to Peter Parker's good natured bookworm personality, and giving him a sleek, daring, edgy, look to frighten criminals while freeing him of his usual timid self and allowing him to openly mock whoever he's fighting.

#15 Posted by _Zombie_ (10455 posts) - - Show Bio

Red and black looks alright, but the classic can't be beaten. Especially with Spidey.

#16 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot: But the red and black is the classic! The red and BLUE was just a mistake on the artists part. They used blue to highlight the black, but when new artists came on they thought it was blue so they made it blue instead of black! Just look at some pictures of Venom, who we know is supposed to have a black costume. For a good portion of the 90's he was colored BLUE instead of black!!

#17 Posted by The_Tree (7726 posts) - - Show Bio

Either way, blue and red still can't be beaten, and it's my personal favorite.

#18 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Scan

#19 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@ZombieBigfoot: But the red and black is the classic! The red and BLUE was just a mistake on the artists part. They used blue to highlight the black, but when new artists came on they thought it was blue so they made it blue instead of black! Just look at some pictures of Venom, who we know is supposed to have a black costume. For a good portion of the 90's he was colored BLUE instead of black!!

If it was originally black, it changed in the mid-late 60's. Venom's costume is black because the symbiote is.

#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: By Alex Ross, are you talking about the concept he created for the Raimi Spider-Man film that never ended up being used?

I love this costume. Give it a few tweaks and I really wouldn't mind this being Spidey's new look.

#21 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duke_Nasty: I'm well aware of that, but my point is that Spider-Man's costume was originally supposed to be red and black. I brought up Venom because he's a perfect recent example of black becoming blue. Sure he changed back, but Spidey never did.

#22 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: By Alex Ross, are you talking about the concept he created for the Raimi Spider-Man film that never ended up being used?

I love this costume. Give it a few tweaks and I really wouldn't mind this being Spidey's new look.

Tweaks such as?

#23 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

If they were ever going to switch back to a darker color scheme the symbiote suit is best. I suppose that the suit worn by Miles in the Ultimate Universe is okay, but I prefer the red/blue simply because Peter is usually such a carefree and witty hero. It makes more sense for him to be brightly colored than done up all dark and brooding like Batman

#24 Posted by The_Tree (7726 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: By Alex Ross, are you talking about the concept he created for the Raimi Spider-Man film that never ended up being used?

I love this costume. Give it a few tweaks and I really wouldn't mind this being Spidey's new look.

I actually would've preferred they gave a look like this to Kaine for his Scarlet Spider getup, I think his current costume kind of sucks.

#25 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

If they were ever going to switch back to a darker color scheme the symbiote suit is best. I suppose that the suit worn by Miles in the Ultimate Universe is okay, but I prefer the red/blue simply because Peter is usually such a carefree and witty hero. It makes more sense for him to be brightly colored than done up all dark and brooding like Batman

He was goofy and funny in the black. Just because someone wears black, doesn't mean they're all brooding or anything. He already has black in his costume, so what's the big deal?

#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: Smaller spider, more red, no Black Widow bracelets, etc.

@The_Tree: Scarlet Spider's or Spider-Man's?

#27 Edited by The_Tree (7726 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I said the words "Kaine" and "Scarlet Spider" didn't I? ;P

#28 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I know that they can still be goofy and funny, but sometimes it's better to add a little color in the world. Also, the black on his current costume is just simulated weblines and a small spider, not exactly an overbearing amount of black.

#29 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Just wanted to make sure, lol. Eh, I never really cared about Scarlet Spider, so he could wear whatever he wants.

#30 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks pretty blue to me, and thats the cover for his first appearance

#31 Posted by The_Tree (7726 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I'm loving Kaine right now. But Alex Ross' design stomps the crap out of this:

#32 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I know that they can still be goofy and funny, but sometimes it's better to add a little color in the world. Also, the black on his current costume is just simulated weblines and a small spider, not exactly an overbearing amount of black.

I honestly think Spidey would look a lot cooler if he went back to the original red and black. The only real thing that would change is the color, the rest of the costume would be identical to the red and blue version. Don't get me wrong, I like the red and blue, I grew up with the red and blue, I'm just spreading a bit of trivia about ol' Web Head and giving some speculation about Miles Morales' costume.

#33 Posted by Deranged Midget (17716 posts) - - Show Bio

Red and Blue. Can never beat the classic look.

Moderator Online
#34 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024: I'm loving Kaine right now. But Alex Ross' design stomps the crap out of this:

His designs always do. Kingdom Come Wonder Woman, Flash, and Bucky's Cap costume are some of my favorite designs from him.

Still, that Kaine costume isn't so bad. Not great, but not bad either.

#35 Posted by The_Tree (7726 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024: I'm loving Kaine right now. But Alex Ross' design stomps the crap out of this:

His designs always do. Kingdom Come Wonder Woman, Flash, and Bucky's Cap costume are some of my favorite designs from him.

Still, that Kaine costume isn't so bad. Not great, but not bad either.

Yes, he always does, Kingdom Come Alan Scott is by far my favorite design he's done, it's so badass. I think the only thing I don't like about Kaine's costume is that it lacks an even color distribution, like something black should be towards the middle to lower half of his body. It could probably be solved by a belt and/or some black boots.

#36 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024: I'm loving Kaine right now. But Alex Ross' design stomps the crap out of this:

His designs always do. Kingdom Come Wonder Woman, Flash, and Bucky's Cap costume are some of my favorite designs from him.

Still, that Kaine costume isn't so bad. Not great, but not bad either.

Yes, he always does, Kingdom Come Alan Scott is by far my favorite design he's done, it's so badass. I think the only thing I don't like about Kaine's costume is that it lacks an even color distribution, like something black should be towards the middle to lower half of his body. It could probably be solved by a belt and/or some black boots.

It needs more black and I think it might look cooler with webs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.