Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Raimi's Parker vs. Webb's Parker, which is the better Spiderman?

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xybernauts

Which portrayal of Parker is better? Webb's Parker is more likable and down to earth, but I feel Raimi's Parker stayed truer to the high school version of the character. While Webb's Parker embodies what a real teenager is like, Raimi's Parker captured the humble spirit of Parker, especially when it came to portraying his relationship with Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Webb's Parker's relationship to May and Ben, while seemingly realistic, felt disconnected to me. I could really feel and understand Raimi's Parkers relationship to May and Ben and through that relationship I could understand what made him a hero. With Webb's Parker, I never quite saw the hero in him. He tried to be a hero, but he never came across as being heroic. He did heroic things, but I didn't feel inspired by them. Perhaps because Webb's Parker came across as being bitter. . I felt Webb's Parker is more like the version of Parker during his college years and adult years. As he got older, Raimi's Spiderman came across as being too goofy. He failed to capture the maturity of the adult Parker, something that Webb's Parker already seems to succeeded in capturing.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I don't know...

Raimi's Parker was good in that he was true to the Lee/Ditko Spider-Man. Very lighthearted. But I didn't like how he constantly felt sorry for himself, his lack of quips, and being just a little too campy.

Webb's Parker was great, in my opinion, as this is the perfect Parker for this particular generation, versus the more "old school" approach Raimi took. The only thing I didn't like about this one is that he came off as a douchebag, but you need that in the first movie, I feel. If a teenager today were to be Spider-Man, I think Webb did a fine job of conveying that in the movie. Once Peter totally realizes the whole "With great power comes great responsibility" thing, then we'll get a fine mix of Raimi's Spidey and Webb's Spidey.

.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By .Spider-man.

Disliked Raimi's Peter.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By KainScion

@xybernauts: what maturity? in the movie he was in highschool. tell me you were mature in highschool.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Strider1992

Webb's Parker all the way.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xybernauts

@KainScion I think you misunderstood what I said. I never said that Webb's Parker was supposed to be mature. Obviously the character was written in a way that was meant to reflect the drama teens go through. What I was talking about was Garfield's demeanor, his personality, and his basic presence. Even though he looks very young, Garfield came across as being very mature (obviously because he's 28 years old). So basically I'm saying he probably would make a better adult version of Peter Parker, then Maguire. Of course we don't know yet. I'm just basing this on his performance in this movie.

sam_cheesmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sam_cheesmore

I really liked webb's spider-man, the only thing that I thought was pushing a bit was the fact the he skated...they skating scene may have been my favourite scene... but I still found it a little unrealistic ..

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By PunyParker

I liked Webb's Peter ...mostly because Garfield's performance,witch was spectacular.....what was nerdy then(2002) isnt nerdy now.....Webb created a lovable/dorky character, for 2012...! genious!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.