Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Raimi Agrees Less Villains Should Be In Spider-Man 4

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    Most of us love Spider-Man.  Most of us want to see a great Spider-Man movie.  We can agree that Spider-Man 3 had its share of problems despite a couple good things that were in it.  With talk increasing on the next installment of the franchise, Sam Raimi has addressed some of the concerns that us fans have.  

The Coventry Telegraph reported on Raimi's recent talk about the franchise.  Filming begins in March 2010 and screenwriter James Vanderbilt has been hired to work on the fifth and sixth movies.  Our immediate concerns fall to the fourth movie.  The main problem (at least in my opinion) was there were too many villains.  Raimi mentions this.

"I think having so many villains detracted from the experience. I would agree with the criticism."

Raimi mentions that it's important to simply get to the point of the story and that it's important to have limitations.  He said he's learned from his smaller production of the horror film Drag Me To Hell.  Basically he plans on getting "back to the basics."

While it's understandable that the studio may want to have as many bright and flashy characters on screen, that doesn't necessarily mean the movie will benefit from that.  We did get to see more movie merchandise based on Venom, Sandman and the Harry Osborn Green Goblin, but you have to think about the integrity of the movie itself.  We've all heard the story how Raimi was pretty much forced to include Venom in Spider-Man 3.  Let's hope that Raimi is allowed to what he feels is best.

Who will the villain(s) be?  We still don't know.  Apparently they are still in the process of working that out.  For now all we can do is speculate and hope for the best.  How many villains do you think is enough?  What basic story would you like to see as the focus of the fourth film?
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Grendel

The first two films did it well. Have a central villain  and have the possible future villains appear as alter-egos in smaller, uncostumed roles (Harry Osborn, Curt Conners).

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Less villains is good

Defiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Defiant

Less is more!
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Maybe The Lizard could make an appearance? Or Mysterio?

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrCipher

The Spiderman 3 went directly into the toilet along with the 3rd and 4th Batman movies from the franchise picked up by Joel Schumacher. Too much time spent trying to be liked by current subcultures and adding as much flash and pomp as possible to the screen.  
    I loved the gigantic Sandman at the end of the movie - in fact I loved Sandman in general.  
    Adding Venom (not just the symbiot) seemed forced and a secondary thought (Topher Grace DID NOT have the right look for Eddie Brock). I would have been happy to see the internal struggle within Peter dealing with the black costume for the entire movie without ever having Venom appear and instead leave that foreshadowing for the next sequel.
    Harry Osborne (who had nothing Goblin about him) was a lame addition as an extreme sports villain with a lame costume and lame gadgets that did not make any sense. He would have been better served as a conniving, scheming villian in the shadows looking for revenge by hiring a mercenary to do his fighting for him - changing up the costume, gadgets and rocket sled to give us the Hobgoblin instead. The idea of having Harry Osborne on the surface seem to be innocent of any wrong-doing and maybe even appearing to come to terms with Peter, all while funding his assassin, woud have screwed with Peter's head a lot more and would have been better writing for us older crowd who want depth and story. 
     To me, 2 villians is plenty and can fill up a 2 hour movie with story and plot twists.  
    Putting Gwen Stacy in was brilliant but was used terribly in the movie. (Now knowing that Dunst was not convinced she would return for another sequel, it might have been good to put Gwen Stacy in place of Mary Jane for a movie - or maybe 6). I've never thought Dunst was a good choice. To many of us guys, Mary Jane was the stuff of dreams that ended not-so-dry. She was drawn like a greek goddess and should have been cast as such - there's plenty of plastic women in Hollywood with enhancements and collagen injections that would have been a much better choice than the VERY unattractive Dunst. I'm sad that Bryce Dallas Howard wasn't cast as Mary Jane in 2002 - even as blonde Gwen Stacy she made a better Mary Jane in looks alone (and she's naturally red headed to boot).
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goldenkey

2 villans makes it more interesting if it's done correctly.  Batman begins had Ras and Scarecrow and they worked great.  Actually they had Falcone and Mr Zsaz in it too and it was great.  Dark Knight had Maroni Joker and Two-face, so having more then one villian can work well.  Raimi just made a bad movie in Spiderman 3.  Grace was a god awful Venom, and Sandman (forgot the actors name) was just so dry.  But it was the movie that was lame.  Spiderman dancing, and walking down the street the pointing at girls and telling them to go make them cookies was horrible.  The best parts were the fighs scenes.  The only good scenes were the fights.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Agent Buttons

I agree with goldenkey. You can have as many villains as you want, as long as it works.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bruce Vain

I don't have a problem if it's 2 villains in it if it's handled correctly, like Nolan's 2 Batman films. Well, technically Batman Begins had four villains - Falcone,Zsaz, Scarecrow and Ra's. 

I would want Lizard and Mysterio in this one.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moomin123

I think there should only be one villain. I've heard it's going to be Kraven or Lizard. It'd be good if Kraven was the villain in all of the film, but right at the end you see a shadow of a giant lizard in Dr. Connor's laboratory, or something like that.
    Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Nahero

i just wish venom was made in better circumstances

im hoping things won't be as nuts as the 3rd one even though i liked it very much

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LP

Less is more indeed.

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LP
    @goldenkey: Man you are right on the money. Batman's current movies should be an example to any other comicbook movies IMO.
    mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mv

Just stick with one, won't confuse us and is much easier to work with, just because Dark knight has two and worked doesn't mean every superhero film has to have two

Hater-tron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hater-tron

I think two villains is fine if you pair them right, they've already introduced Dr. Conners  so they can use the Lizard. Another villain that would compliment the other would be Kraven the Hunter gets word of a giant lizard and comes to hunt it gets wrapped up in a three way fight as Spidey figures out the Lizards identity and has to save his friend from the hunter.

DragonRex1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By DragonRex1

Hopefully two villains are enough...  

My hopes are Carnage, Lizard, maybe Miles Warren (aka) Jackal...

I wonder how they plan on bringing Venom back for a spin-off? Unless he's either brought back to life or Eddie Brock Sr. wears it...
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Two villains is enough, SM3 would have been better with just New Goblin and Venom, but I'm not going to get into that. I think they should go back to what they did in Spider-Man 2 with Peter trying to keep his job, trying to get MJ to like him, and trying to make good on how he keeps the city safe as Spider-Man, plus all of the cool things they did with SM2 like having Spidey and Doc Ock fighting in mid-air and things like that, things they couldn't do in the comics, but would look amazing on the big screen

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goldenkey
    @MTS said:
    "Just stick with one, won't confuse us and is much easier to work with, just because Dark knight has two and worked doesn't mean every superhero film has to have two "
    No one said that just because the Dark Knight had 2 villians that every comic movie needs 2 villians.  There is nothing confusing about Rami's Spiderman movies.  Just saying that Nolans Batmans (which are far more intracit then Rami's Spidermans, and no one got confused) can be used as a format or proof that having more then one villian in a movie doesn't make the movie bad or overloads a movies content.  Its the acting, and the plot.  The Acting was dry, Grace as Venom was bad, and how they portrayed Spiderman when he had the black suit was lame.  Rami recieved bad reviews about the movie because the movie was just a bad movie, and now he's blaming it on to many villians.  It's a lame excuse for bad story telling.  Everyone has their favorite villians and it's nice to see a number of them in each film if the film is done correctly.  Nolan did it correctly and that's we he is hailed the way he is.
    Avatar image for beyond_your_doom
    Beyond your Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Beyond your Doom

Carnage and The Lizard short and simple

gerald2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gerald2

Raimi and I don't talk anymore because of what he did to Venom. All I'm gonna say about that...

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By TheMess1428

Anyone else want Spider-Man 6 to be about the Sinister Six? If we could build up to that, it won't be so bad if it was a team like that rather than a silly villain team-up. Since the Six would work together better than two.
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Dark Cell

Black Cat and Lizzard
    The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By The_Warlord

They should go with Lizard

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By SuperXAsh

My best bets are either the Lizard (alotta people were supposedly pushing for it BTS), Kraven the Hunter, Electro, or possibly Mysterio. 

Though that doesn't necessarily leave out Chameleon, Scorpion, Jackal or the Vulture. 

While I'd like to se a good take on Carnage (preferrably a mixture of the 616 & Ultimate incarnations), I just don't know if it'd work. PLUS they'll need a good villain for that proposed Venom spin-off. 
    Misk14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Misk14

i hope one of these spidey movies has spider-carnage trying to destroy the multiverse, would be killer live action!!!!

fanbla72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fanbla72

Mysterio, yeah, that'd be sweet, but they'd have to be real careful how they do it.

Lizard.. perfect.

Venom.. i've only seen the film once, but I can't even remember him being in it! must be too painful a memory.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26  Edited By jakob187

It's going to be The Lizard.  Not just that, but he HAS to do The Lizard finally!!!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

Lizard, and Black cat are enough... awww heck, throw in Carnage to be the 'Joker' of Spider-Man.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28  Edited By The_Martian

I agree with this. Raimi wasn't wanting to use Venom in the first place. If you took out the whole Venom equation from Spider-Man 3, it would have been a much better movie.

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By waruikumo

ugh can they just forget about SM 3, or maybe just release a heavily cut version that completely eliminates Venom, and the whole Jazz (Yass Flute "Anchorman sounding") scene

Winduizcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Winduizcool

It should be Toxin or Carnage. Though they better be realistic about it and have the villain win against spiderman and Spidey will get lucky.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#31  Edited By HaloKing343

Kingpin 

Carnage 

The Lizard  

In that order

Avatar image for everything_green_lantern
    Everything Green Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about the hob goblin? Just throwing that idea out there. I also think Kingpin and the lizard are good ideas. Again, there should probably not be more than one or maybe two villains. Carnage is also a cool idea, but I'm not 100% sure on that one just because it could be to repetitive (Venom in Spider-Man 3).    

dreamcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dreamcaster

I think  the next Villan should be Kingpin and then they should work their way upto the sinister six.
    blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By blackkitty

I just want Black Cat...I've been patient, waited 3 movies for her, give me my Black Cat already

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I believe less villians is better, leaves you with more screen time to build on the rivalry. What made SM3 suck was much was it felt rushed, Spidey was going from one fight to the next none of the characters were really developed, not even Pete with the black suit. Okay sure I'll bite I guess he was more of a ladies man, sorta, but still that wasn't any real character development.

Now who should be in the next movie, I think Lizard. I mean come on you already introduced Dr. Connor's and a little non-costumed cameo Black Cat.

info nation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By info nation
    @Grendel: This won't be easy I'm afraid, Spider-Man has a rich and varied cast of baddies to contend with in the comics, Spider-Man 4 might need at LEAST 2 villains!
    reverseshazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By reverseshazam

I say they make the movies like the marvel team up comic. Every year spidy teams up with a new hero and fights a villain. This never gets old.

Saigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Saigon

Carnage and Venom, and maybe a cameo by someone else from marvel
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Caligula

I wanna see Kraven, Misterio, or Scorpion. I think one or two of this will be great. I want Kraven the most though.
    Avatar image for the_sanguine_psychotic
    The Sanguine Psychotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GERALD said:
    "  Raimi and I don't talk anymore because of what he did to Venom. All I'm gonna say about that... "
    Word, Gerald.  Word.
    Avatar image for the_merc_with_a_mouth
    The Merc with a mouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story I would want to see is Pete and MJ get married. Cletus Kassidy is America's most wanted for explosions and mass murdering. Kassidy should be played by someone better than Jim Carrey. Doctor Conners is working on a serum to get his right arm back, which he then turns into the lizard. Meanwhile, Kraven is walking around looking for his greatest challange yet, the death of Spiderman. Cletus Kassidy gets to be Carnage which he will make more killings than ever. Lizard is on the run looking for Spiderman who has helped the city too much. And Kraven is getting closer to killing Spiderman everyday. Towards the end, Carnage kills Gwen Stacy. Spiderman defeats Kraven. Lizard is currently defeated and back to Curt Connors. In jail, Kraven is shot while tryin to escape. Carnage is deafeated but will soon return. During the movie, cameos of Venom will ve shown, but he will not fight in the movie. Peter will see him once or twice,but not fighting him. With all the crime around, It affects Peter's life slowly. Will this be the fall of Spiderman? Spiderman 4. Coming Memorial Day of 2011. Directed by Sam Raimi. And don't forget MYSTERIO played by Bruce Campbell. And Antonio Banderas will play Kraven.

.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By .Spider-man.

Story: The opening half hour is dedicated to Conners making the serum, turning into the Lizard and a battle against Spider-man. Spidey soon figures out that the Lizard is Dr Connors and he has to figure out a way to defeat him without hurting his friend. Meanwhile in Africa we see Kraven hunting down some big game. Calypso comes to him with a letter and a paper. News of the giant lizard spreads fast and he packs his bags to a trip to NY. We have a 3 way struggle, maybe a couple 1 on 1s either way between the combination. Kraven gets a new respect for the Spider and wants to choose him as his next big hunt. Coincidentally he is paid a visit by a long stretch limo, we hear the voice but never see a face. This mysterious stranger hires Kraven to take out Spider-man.

Something like that.

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#43  Edited By EganTheVile1

less is more, one or two villains is more then enough, no reason the sequel number should be an indication of how many villains should appear in it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.