Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

"Peter Parker is not dead"

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By soduh2

1. Is the Superior Spider-Man Otto Octavius's spirit/Consciousness in Peter Parker's body?

2. A brainwashed Peter Parker who has Octavius' artificially implanted influence cloud his judgement?

3. Or a bizarre fusion between the two characters?

I would say number 1 (and a bit of 3) are the ways the writers want us to look at it. But a lot of fans take up the second theory because it could potentially pacify the hatedom that came out of the situation. What do you all think? What is the "truth" behind the person of the Superior Spider-Man.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @soduh2: It's the first one, the reason he's acting good is because he has all Pete's memory's and experiences, so instead of growing up with a father that beat him and being bullyed at school he has memory's of loving family and friends.  
    JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JakeN7

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@soduh2: It's the first one, the reason he's acting good is because he has all Pete's memory's and experiences, so instead of growing up with a father that beat him and being bullyed at school he has memory's of loving family and friends.

Yeah this but I choose to look at Superior as a whole new character pretty much. An amalgamation of Peter and Otto if you will. So definitely 3 as well.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Manbehindthewires

it'd be interesting if it was option 2, and the Octavius-ness in him slowly eroded away...

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Shawnbaby

Personally, I think Peter is still inside there, just dormant, and that the way this thing will end is either with Octavius being Exorcised from Peter...or Peter just being put back in the Driver's Seat with Octavius' mind and memories still in there with him but the Octavius personality going dormant.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Peter is dead. His identity has been assimilated by Ock. No wonder what happens in the future, Peter Parker is no longer Peter Parker. His consciousness/identity/soul/etc... have been stripped away and demolished. 

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Strider1992

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Peter is dead. His identity has been assimilated by Ock. No wonder what happens in the future, Peter Parker is no longer Peter Parker. His consciousness/identity/soul/etc... have been stripped away and demolished.

Actually souls are a separate thing in the Marvel-verse. Otto's consciousnesses is in Peter's head but Pete's soul is most likely still intact.

LastOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LastOblivion

@JakeN7 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@soduh2: It's the first one, the reason he's acting good is because he has all Pete's memory's and experiences, so instead of growing up with a father that beat him and being bullyed at school he has memory's of loving family and friends.

Yeah this but I choose to look at Superior as a whole new character pretty much. An amalgamation of Peter and Otto if you will. So definitely 3 as well.

Yeah, I'm with you there...

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By fACEmelter88

In Avenging Spider-Man 15.1 Otto, as Peter, clothesline's a crook and he thinks to himself that it must have been a reflex but I feel that reflex is Peter in there. Maybe Peter and/or his memories will be Otto's Jiminey Cricket, or conscience. I want to see how Kaine reacts to this "new" Peter. Will Otto be excited to have a brother, will Kaine figure something is different who knows.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By PunyParker

Hey,anyone concidered where the golden Octobot went?....y'know the mind switching devise?.....

I believe its the key to the Peter return.....its not coincedentale,something is behind this...

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sufferthorn

Peter mentioned a link between their minds....as Peter was having his life flash before his eyes, so was Octavius.

Too many loose ends for something not to be up with that.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12  Edited By x_29

He's dead until the retcon

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

It's weird. At the end of ASM 700, it felt like a bizarre mix, but in Avenging .1, it felt like Otto had complete control.

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sufferthorn

@Gambit1024 said:

It's weird. At the end of ASM 700, it felt like a bizarre mix, but in Avenging .1, it felt like Otto had complete control.

But he's not being Evil. It's odd.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

@Sufferthorn said:

@Gambit1024 said:

But he's not being Evil. It's odd.

But that little but about how he was all like "I BEAT SPIDER-MAN! HAHAHA!" has me thinking that he's still evil. I need to see more...

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By r3d_rob1n

Slott just chose a cliche story and left gaping plot holes so that the retcon can go smoothly. The next few months to a year can simply be viewed as an elseworld where ock grew up with Peter's life and powers. A true travesty for the 50th anniversary of Spider-man

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@r3d_rob1n: Well said, well said!

BAUagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By BAUagent

Peter Parkers subconscious still resides somewhere in his old body, considering that Peter runs on heroic willpower, its possible for him to regain control of his body away from Otto.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Phaedrusgr

I've just finished reading the Secret Wars arc. Otto participates in this story. I must say he used to be an extremely ridiculous villain. Apart from the Sinister Six thing, Doc Ock used to yell (all the time) about his superiority, while nobody believed him neither heroes nor villains. The result was always him getting beaten up. Ugly...I don't know where Marvel's getting this superior spiderman story, since it can conclude to a full merge of the two personalities or another permanent status that I can't imagine. I don't want a brainwashed Peter, since we'd be talking about an anti-hero and we have two at the same game, Scarlet Spider/Kaine and Venom/Flash. I'd hate a full merge, cause the result would be exactly the same. I hope that Pete's consciousness (that blue Peter we saw in SSM stories), will find a way to regain full control of the body. I want a "clear" Peter, old school staff.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soduh2

@Phaedrusgr said:

I've just finished reading the Secret Wars arc. Otto participates in this story. I must say he used to be an extremely ridiculous villain. Apart from the Sinister Six thing, Doc Ock used to yell (all the time) about his superiority, while nobody believed him neither heroes nor villains. The result was always him getting beaten up. Ugly...I don't know where Marvel's getting this superior spiderman story, since it can conclude to a full merge of the two personalities or another permanent status that I can't imagine. I don't want a brainwashed Peter, since we'd be talking about an anti-hero and we have two at the same game, Scarlet Spider/Kaine and Venom/Flash. I'd hate a full merge, cause the result would be exactly the same. I hope that Pete's consciousness (that blue Peter we saw in SSM stories), will find a way to regain full control of the body. I want a "clear" Peter, old school staff.

I agree, I don't want to see a merger between the two characters. That's almost worse than the switch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.