Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Peter & Mary Jane vs. Peter and Carlie

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

User Lists: 0

Edited By pspin

Peter & Mary Jane vs. Peter and Carlie

Peter Parker has had notable women in his life, several of whom he has dated like Gwen Stacey, Mary Jane Watson and Carlie Cooper. Of those only Mary Jane and Carlie are alive, but who should he be with now that Spider-Island is over and he is single?

Peter and Mary Jane are meant to be together, everyone knows this, even people who don’t read comics know. But that is NOT the point of contention. Peter and MJ have been together for a long time (in real time) and in the comics. Most stories about them have been told (except for MJ getting spider powers for a long time), everything from MJ being the damsel in distress to MJ helping Peter save the day and everything in between. They even got married and most everyone hated it to the point that it was retconned in a controversial manner. This shows me that while they will end up together in the future, right now they need to be apart. Since MJ is an integral part of the Spider-Man mythos, fans of hers wouldn’t have to worry about her falling to limbo but she should not be Peter’s girlfriend, it has be done and done again to the point where it is dull and annoying.

Peter and Carlie were together for a relatively short amount of time compared to Peter and MJ but It was much more interesting than most of the MJ stories. This

is because Carlie and MJ are so different that they show different sides of Peter and each other. This allows for greater character growth for all parties and is necessary for ASM. Comic characters have a nasty habit of reaching a certain point and then stagnating (Emma Frost) for whatever reason. This is what happened to MJ and Peter and now this must be avoided. Peter and MJ should not go back together after Spider-Island because it will negate growth by both

characters. There is too much untapped potential in the Peter and Carlie relationship to have Peter and MJ be together in the foreseeable future for

this relationship to simply end.

Please comment, please keep it civil

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

@pspin: It's funny how with M.J and Gwen, Peter was the one who was pinning over them, whereas in the case of Copper, it seemed to be the other way around. Carlie got M.J's sloppy seconds and Peter, while he was on the rebound (lets be honest, after OMIT, Peter never really got over M.J). The thing that really annoys me with Carlie Cooper is her persistent nature that threatens to dominate Peter's naivety within their relationship. M.J on the other hand, was supportive of Peter's decisions as Spider-Man, but at the same time kept Peter level-headed towards his more immediate concerns; his family. Which brings me to my next point, the holy trinity that consisted of Peter, May and Mary Jane. I enjoyed Spider-Man the most during the periods of the Other and that of Civil War. As much as I am glad to see Peter finally being "paid" off for his ingenuity, I will always perceive Mr. Parker as a high school teacher.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Peter and MJ are much better than Pete and Carlie.  

I lost all respect for Carlie after the Osborn tattoo thing. 

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    She didn't get an Osborn tattoo - she ended up having a Spidey tattoo. Unless I misunderstand your statement.

But yeah, Pete and MJ have much better chemistry in comparison, it's not even a real question to my mind.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Morpheus_ said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    She didn't get an Osborn tattoo - she ended up having a Spidey tattoo. Unless I misunderstand your statement.

But yeah, Pete and MJ have much better chemistry in comparison, it's not even a real question to my mind.
    Sorry, I was just going off the solicit. Haven't read any of Big Time save the last issue of Spider-Island =] 
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Sorry, I was just going off the solicit. Haven't read any of Big Time save the last issue of Spider-Island =] 
    Here's the tattoo.

No Caption Provided

Carlie was intoxicated so not really in her right mind when she considered having it, though, so I don't really hold it against her.

You should go back to reading Spidey, the series has been pretty good for a long time now.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

I like Peter and MJ best but Peter and Carlie was nice in itself.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By fury714

Wow. Carlie is absolutely hot in that scan. But im going with Peter and MJ forever.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Magian

Even though I know that MJ and Pete will be back together eventually, I like Pete and Carlie as a couple. Even though they broke up recently, I don't think it is over for the two of them.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Morpheus_: Yeah, Innervenom123 has been telling me it's brilliant, I'm just so damn annoyed with; 

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fury714

@ Morpheus_ : Which issue was that scan?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dernman
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Magian
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dernman
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @Morpheus_: Yeah, Innervenom123 has been telling me it's brilliant, I'm just so damn annoyed with; 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Magian
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dernman

@ComicMan24: I read that issue. Can't believe I over looked it.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Magian

@Dernman:Yeah, now that you mention it, you were the one who told me about it. Someone is not paying a lot of attention :P

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fury714

^ Thanks :D gonna get that one.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By MetropolisKid41

I grew up with Peter & MJ, that's what I prefer, it just seemed wrong when he was with Carlie. I was welcome to a bit of change because I figured in the end they would break up and it'd only help the Peter-MJ dynamic, but as bossy as Carlie was it really bugged me. The issue where she gets Spider-Powers and is bossing Pete around really irked me. She kept saying she was better fit because of all of her "police training," I was just shouting in my head "don't talk to Spidey like that!" haha. And yeah sorry but unless if you're on the SWAT team or DEA your "police training" really isn't all that extensive. I'm sure everyone knows at least one out of shape, unathletic, donut eating cop who had the same "police training." Peter is a really nice guy, and the fact that she tried to tell him what to do and control the relationship always really irked me. I'm glad they broke up, hopefully Pete & MJ can get back together and have things go a little smoother thanks to the lessons they both learned while they were apart. I hope there is a little bit of a noticeable difference in their dynamic this time around, to show some character growth on both of their parts, after all that is why we read the comics right? Character growth.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Magian

@Morpheus_ said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@Dernman:Yeah, it was stated in Marvel Point One.

I actually don't believe he says he lost his spider sense entirely - he's referring to the loss of his advanced version of the spider sense, that he originally possessed. It would manifest as visions of the future.

This is the third and last time trying to reply here. If this doesn't work again I give up lol

Thought at some point that he might was talking about something like this( had read that his spider-sense was more advanced than Peter's) but still he seemed to be surprised when the robbery happened. Wouldn't he still be alerted if that was the case?
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MetropolisKid41

@ComicMan24: Yeah thats a good point, I assume we'll get some clarification later, otherwise I'd probably just chalk it up to inconsistent writing.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @ComicMan24 said:

This is the third and last time trying to reply here. If this doesn't work again I give up lol

If his spider sense is anything like Pete's (and in most cases is alerted about direct danger to his person), then he shouldn't be.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Magian

@Morpheus_:Ok, I suppose you do have a point there. I guess we will have to wait for his title to clarify this.

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MetropolisKid41

I wish he'd have a 8 page back-up story in Amazing until his solo title comes out. I really don't want to wait until January for more Scarlett Spidey goodness.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By fodigg

I don't mind Carlie but my preference is and will probably always be MJ. I do like that they're having MJ in the book more and that there's still tension there. That works for me. They should give her powers though. First the Jackpot tease and now the Spider-Gal tease. Just power her up already.

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By AllNewOverseer

I never saw any future for Carlie and Pete. Now initially I was yelling out crys of "Replacement Scrappy" and "Relationship Sue"! (TVtropes for those who don't know), but after I calmed down, only the latter half was true. It's not so much that Carlie didn't have potential (sp.) its just that they put her as a major character that seemed like a hodge podge of previous Spidey love intrests (Gwen's "Idealness" for Peter, Deborah's "Nerds are Sexy", and of course the tragic events with her father, MARY JANE! though not half as bad or developed as MJ), we're told things about her but never shown, and worst of all the writers were trying way, WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY to hard to make us like her instead of just developing her. Plus, MJ had derailed worse than the Great Train Wreck of 1918 since OMIT which did NOT help. (nor did the fact that she's named after JQ's daughter).

I will always prefer MJ and Peter, nothing against Carlie, maybe one day she'll come back with an actual character, but as far as I'm concerned, Peter and MJ are still married, have two twin girls (April and Mayday) and two twin boys, secured their place in history as a Putzer Winning Photographer/Superhero and Actress/Super Model and will forever inspire their great grandchild Miguel O'Hara as Spider-Man 2099... don't ask!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123

I liked Pete/Carlie, but Pete/MJ is better (then again, that's kind of a mis-match by comparison, isn't it?).

MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Yeah MJ is a super model, can't go wrong getting in bed with that haha

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Eh, not crazy about either. But out of the two, I like Carlie and Peter.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By muhabba

Ima chiming in with my vote for MJ. Carlie was just a gimmick for the OneMoreMoventInTime thing. As a older reader I've already read about all the troubles Peter has with dating and in my opinion those stories were written better 20 and 30 yrs. ago. Peter has a long line of women that couldn't handle his double life and Carlie was just the latest.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

Honestly, Peter and MJ are obviously the more iconic couple and thus 'meant to be'. Which is not to say that I did not enjoy the time Carlie was in the picture. But I too prefer MJ.

Though I do hope that they'll use this time while he's single again to bring Black Cat in again. I always love seeing Spidey and Black Cat together, it makes for an interesting dynamic.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @ShirEPanjshir: Felicia is set to return in the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man/Daredevil two-part crossover (ASM # 677-DD # 8), hyped as a potential love triangle between Matt, Pete and the Cat.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Billy Batson

Peter and Aunt May>
    BB

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Pete and MJ.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Morpheus_ said:

@ShirEPanjshir: Felicia is set to return in the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man/Daredevil two-partcrossover (ASM # 677-DD # 8),hyped as a potential love triangle between Matt, Pete and the Cat.

Really? That sounds awesome. Black Cat's interactions are always so interesting.

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

@Morpheus_: Nice, I didn't know that. Not really following the solicitations lately. Just picking up my pull-list every week.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123: I feel the same, even though I'd  more so call Black Cat's interactions with various characters entertaining rather than really interesting on a deeper level. And Daredevil is an infamous ladies man, so having a fling with Felicia doesn't sound out of the ordinary or necessarily forced. It actually makes sense in a strange way, and that aspect of the story intrigues me. The love triangle angle, though? Not nearly as much. Spidey hasn't done anything with Felicia since Red-Headed Stranger, and that's 70 issues behind. There's no real reason he should give much of a damn besides the notion that an old on and off love interest would hook up with a good friend.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @ShirEPanjshir said:

@Morpheus_: Nice, I didn't know that. Not really following the solicitations lately. Just picking up my pull-list every week.

Here you go.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #677
    MARK WAID (W) • EMMA RIOS (A)
    COVER BY HUMBERTO RAMOS
    VARIANT COVER BY LEE BERMEJO
    • Spider-Man and Daredevil team up – Part One!
    • When Black Cat is arrested, Matt Murdock is the only lawyer who will touch
    her (her case… we mean).
    • The next great love triangle of the Marvel Universe begins!

DAREDEVIL #8
    MARK WAID (W) • KANO (A)
    COVER BY PAOLO RIVERA
    VARIANT COVER BY LEE BERMEJO
    • Spider-Man and Daredevil team up – Part two!
    • Picking up where ASM #677 left off, the next great love triangle of the Marvel Universe continues!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Magian

That's cool. I should checking the Marvel solicits again.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Peter and MJ are much better than Pete and Carlie. I lost all respect for Carlie after the Osborn tattoo thing.
    Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Superguy0009e

i like peter single right now..he kind of needs to be

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By darthfury78

@Superguy0009e said:

i like peter single right now..he kind of needs to be

I love to see Peter hook up with Silver Sable or Jessica Drew. Another favorite is Jennifer Walters(in her human form) who would fall in the Betty Brant category: The best friend who he hangs out with once a month. Could you see Jennifer Walters(Not as the She-Hulk) and Betty Brant become friends?

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By r3d_rob1n

As much as I want to see Peter and MJ together, I think that it would be foolish on the part of Marvel not to explore other options in Peter's love life first. Whether that is by creating a new character for Peter to date, or hooking him up with another member of the Marvel U, its just been to soon since OMD to put him and MJ back together.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By SpidermanWins

Mj and Peter stomp

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.