Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Peter and MJ's wedding(s) - Stupid Question Alert

ScottM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

OK folks, here goes...

So, having read from the JMS collections through to present day, I have never quite got my head around the whole Peter and MJ wedding thing... I've looked up on Wiki and still find it slightly confusing so am hoping (knowing) that someone on here will be able to help me out... I understand that they got married in 87 in 'The Wedding', but what happened after that... ? Was it simply a case of a reboot that saw them as 'just a couple' again...

Moving forward, we then had OMD, BND, and OMIT, where their (almost) wedding happened, and was then erased, and the whole Dr Strange, to forget or not to forget incident, resulting in them moving further apart...

So, does anyone care to fill in the gaps for me please... Hoping it is a very simple answer to a probably very stupid question...

Thx in advance folks...

Yours, stupid... :-)

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zarius

Peter and MJ remained a couple after the wedding was cancelled/erased, but due to MJ's fears of commiting when Peter could not (because of the intervention by Mephisto) she refused to have children with him while he was Spider-Man, so the pregnancy never happened. Everything else seemingly went on as it was until OMIT separated them (which was as out-of-character for both as you could get given all MJ had said and done with him before hand, so no, I don't personally buy that "every story happened" exactly as it was with only a slight omission here and there)

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: like..... Norman never murdering a just born baby

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zarius

Another glaring thing is if "every story happened" then that vision from God during Civil War telling Peter he and MJ would be fine is probably still canon...thus negating the drama we currently have, rofl.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By angelalfonso

@zarius:

it wasn't god, it was "one above all". they are different entities, Mephisto say it some time ago.

"he isn't god, he is only the biggest kid in the park, and if knows god he isn't saying"

or something like that.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more you know.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@angelalfonso: The principal he was referring to was The One Above All. The "Biggest Kid" he was talking about was the Living Tribunal.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@scottm said:

OK folks, here goes...

So, having read from the JMS collections through to present day, I have never quite got my head around the whole Peter and MJ wedding thing... I've looked up on Wiki and still find it slightly confusing so am hoping (knowing) that someone on here will be able to help me out... I understand that they got married in 87 in 'The Wedding', but what happened after that... ? Was it simply a case of a reboot that saw them as 'just a couple' again...

Moving forward, we then had OMD, BND, and OMIT, where their (almost) wedding happened, and was then erased, and the whole Dr Strange, to forget or not to forget incident, resulting in them moving further apart...

So, does anyone care to fill in the gaps for me please... Hoping it is a very simple answer to a probably very stupid question...

Thx in advance folks...

Yours, stupid... :-)

Replace stupid with honest and then you're alright. :)

So,Mephisto,a devil-like dude, promiced them(MJ and Peter) that if he "takes away" their wedding (and ONLY their wedding) Aunt May will leave from the shot she had ,you know,in Back In Black.

The memories and all the stuff they lived together would be there,but they wouldn't have been married,they would have been justa couple living together.
    All this in BND

In OMIT they make a silly attempt to fill the gaps on how Peter and MJ remember the incident with Strange and all.
    So they won't remember it the way it was done,because of Mephisto.

If this doesn't make any sense to you,it's because thios story is the most stupid thing Marvel has ever done,and it's atrociously horrible from any way you look at it......

ScottM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ScottM

@punyparker haha, thx... So I think the big thing that I am struggling with is unless I have missed (forgotten) something huge is that in the JMS stories onwards... Peter and MJ are not married and never got married as they never quite made it...??? I think... :-|

They were married in 'The Wedding' in 1987, so I am struggling to understand...

a) How did they get married in 87 and then not be married when I started reading (JMS)... Was this just from a reboot?

b) You say Mephisto takes away their wedding, which I get, but don't get also, as they were not married at the time... In OMD???? Were they???

If they got married in 87 and then a reboot meant they became single again, why bother removing it from continuity... (think I might be confusing myself now)

Have I really screwed up and forgotten more than I thought...?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zarius

@scottm said:

@punyparker haha, thx... So I think the big thing that I am struggling with is unless I have missed (forgotten) something huge is that in the JMS stories onwards... Peter and MJ are not married and never got married as they never quite made it...??? I think... :-|

a) How did they get married in 87 and then not be married when I started reading (JMS)... Was this just from a reboot?

b) You say Mephisto takes away their wedding, which I get, but don't get also, as they were not married at the time... In OMD???? Were they???

If they got married in 87 and then a reboot meant they became single again, why bother removing it from continuity... (think I might be confusing myself now)

Peter and MJ were married in JMS' run. However they were seperated when his run began, this seperation happened in the final story penned by Howard Mackie, who was the architect of the 1999 relaunch, which simply relaunched the books, but did not alter the continuity in the slightest. The pair of them patched things up half-way through the early portions of the JMS run. When they made the deal with Mephisto at the end of JMS' run, THEN the timeline was altered so that neither were married or conceived any children, essentially the "proper" Peter and MJ died.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottm said:

a) No in JMS' run they were married.The change happened in BND.

b) OMD is after BND.During OMD their wedding was taken.In BND we see the "reboot" unviel itself.

@zarius said:

Peter and MJ were married in JMS' run. However they were seperated when his run began, this seperation happened in the final story penned by Howard Mackie, who was the architect of the 1999 relaunch, which simply relaunched the books, but did not alter the continuity in the slightest. The pair of them patched things up half-way through the early portions of the JMS run. When they made the deal with Mephisto at the end of JMS' run, THEN the timeline was altered so that neither were married or conceived any children, essentially the "proper" Peter and MJ died.

Or this rad explanation. ^

ScottM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@scottm said:

This explains EVERYTHING... Thx so much... I have been confused for ages as I always assumed they were not married when I started reading with JMS... Hence me never really 'getting' the whole Mephisto thing... All is clear now :-) Thx all...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottm said:

This explains EVERYTHING... Thx so much... I have been confused for ages as I always assumed they were not married when I started reading with JMS... Hence me never really 'getting' the whole Mephisto thing... All is clear now :-) Thx all...

It's far from "clear" but anyway. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.