Paul Giamatti in Talks to Play Rhino in 'Amazing Spider-Man' Sequel

• 134 results
Posted by G-Man (29408 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been a little bit since there's been any updates on the sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man. The last we heard was casting updates for Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn, Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane and Jamie Foxx as Electro. Now it looks like Electro won't be the only villain in the sequel.

The Hollywood Reporter exclusively announced that Paul Giamatti is in talks to play the Rhino.

With this announcement, there are a couple questions. The first is "How do you stop a rhino from charging?" The second is what role is Felicity Jones in talks for?

It seems Giamatti professed his interest in the Rhino back in March 2011. He said the following to ShowbizSpy:

I thought Rhino was the greatest thing when I was a little kid. It was a guy who was basically in this rhinoceros outfit and I always thought, ‘Why don’t they have The Rhino in one of their movies,’ but maybe The Rhino wasn’t that big of a deal for anybody but me...If they ever go with The Rhino I would be ready and waiting.

Production is set to begin in February.

As for how you stop a rhino from charging, I think everyone knows, you take away his credit card.

Staff
#1 Posted by ThePRez (269 posts) - - Show Bio

how about no

#2 Posted by KindleClay (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh! I was thinking Paul Sorvino! Giamatti is a bit too, too intellectual for this role. He'd be like Phillip Seymour Hoffman in it I'd suspect. Hmmmm not like they care. Most comic book movies lack so very much.

#3 Posted by xAnimosity (182 posts) - - Show Bio

This has to be a joke. I love Rhino, one of my top fave Spidey villains. But Paul is the complete opposite of who Rhino is.

#4 Posted by The_Tree (6403 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, well, I do like Paul Giamatti.

Very interesting...

#5 Posted by zachkastner (188 posts) - - Show Bio

It will probably be Ultimate R.H.I.N.O. and he's a man in a metal rhino suit.

This could work.

#6 Posted by KingdomCome (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Rhino has always been one of my personal favourite Spiderman villains, but he's rarely correctly handled. I'd like to hope this had potential, but, Amazing Spiderman was a travesty of a film. Whilst I initially had hopes for the sequel, Electro and Rhino sound like a strange concoction.

#7 Posted by naylor11 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

At least these aren't villains that we've seen before in the other movies. I imagine that the Green Goblin will show up in the third though

#8 Posted by thabigred (41 posts) - - Show Bio

This might be too perfect.

#9 Posted by k4tzm4n (35197 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm cool with this. Besides, he's durable, just like the Rhino!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLnqXIYCxgA

Staff Online
#10 Posted by Mandrewgora (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll see that film!

#11 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

What a strange casting choice... I guess it's safe to say that we'll be getting a nearly all CG Rhino. Kind of a bummer...

#12 Posted by VictorVonDoom_1 (142 posts) - - Show Bio

@xAnimosity said:

This has to be a joke. I love Rhino, one of my top fave Spidey villains. But Paul is the complete opposite of who Rhino is.

Exactly my thoughts.

#13 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else see Electro staging a prison break that leads to the Rhino's escape?

#14 Posted by kriminal (564 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont care. the first movie pissed me off. jamie foxx as electro pissed me off. did anybody watch the special features on the blu ray? its like they tried to ruin spiderman

#15 Posted by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinister 6 Calling it.

#16 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't fall in the trap that Spider-Man 3 did with too many villains and not enough time devoted to making them more than one-dimensional.

#17 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1160 posts) - - Show Bio

@zachkastner said:

It will probably be Ultimate R.H.I.N.O. and he's a man in a metal rhino suit.

This could work.

That was my initial thought as well.

#18 Edited by GothamRed (2561 posts) - - Show Bio

ultimate rhino?

#19 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

@wr3h said:

Sinister 6 Calling it.

I hope you're wrong. I don't think any 2-2:30hr movie can pull that off.

#20 Posted by The Average Bear (2049 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel, STAHP

#21 Posted by pspin (886 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Giamatti isn't who I see when I envision Rhino but it might work.

#22 Posted by Ninjablade09 (2674 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I enjoyed Amazing Spiderman favorite movie of all time, this sequel seems to be going down hill with the villains. Sorry but there is no excuse not to have Norman for the sequel villain. It would not only make the movie a lot of money if they did the death of gwen stacy, but (if executed correctly) be considered one of the greatest superhero movies of all time maybe tying with the dark knight and ahead of Spider-man 2.

#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (35197 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ninjablade09 said:

Well I enjoyed Amazing Spiderman favorite movie of all time, this sequel seems to be going down hill with the villains. Sorry but there is no excuse not to have Norman for the sequel villain. It would not only make the movie a lot of money if they did the death of gwen stacy, but (if executed correctly) be considered one of the greatest superhero movies of all time maybe tying with the dark knight and ahead of Spider-man 2.

Who's to say they won't have Green Goblin and the death of Gwen Stacy in the third? If anything, this chapter would expand Parker's abilities as a hero, develop the love triangle, and give more time to tease/shed some light on Obsborn. After all, Harry's confirmed for this one, too.

Staff Online
#24 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

Rhino and Electro and MJ? Too much story. Keep it simple, Gwen and MJ and Electro. Thats all.

#25 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Rhino folks.

#26 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2188 posts) - - Show Bio

Ron Perlman would make a pretty badass Rhino....

#27 Posted by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

Giamatti is too good an actor to be a part of the 'Twilightized' Spider-Man.

#28 Posted by Bobzenub (120 posts) - - Show Bio

The more info comes out about this movie, the more likely it'll be a comedy.

#29 Posted by Inverno (12821 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL you serious?!

He wouldn't be my first choice, but whatever that rolls...

#30 Posted by Ninjablade09 (2674 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Who's to say they won't have Green Goblin and the death of Gwen Stacy in the third? If anything, this chapter would expand Parker's abilities as a hero, develop the love triangle, and give more time to tease/shed some light on Obsborn. After all, Harry's confirmed for this one, too.

Well to me it seemed so overshadowed in the first movie and reading a lot on mj's part in the movie is supposed to be small in the second big in the third. IMO The Night Gwen Stacy died would have been a great ending scene for ASM2. Also read that they are shooting a funeral in London and the rumor is its gwens funeral so that kinds of makes me in a worried. I see where your coming from and completely agree with you opinion.

#31 Edited by k4tzm4n (35197 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ninjablade09 said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

Well to me it seemed so overshadowed in the first movie and reading a lot on mj's part in the movie is supposed to be small in the second big in the third. IMO The Night Gwen Stacy died would have been a great ending scene for ASM2. Also read that they are shooting a funeral in London and the rumor is its gwens funeral so that kinds of makes me in a worried. I see where your coming from and completely agree with you opinion.

I wholeheartedly agree that I'd want the death of Gwen Stacy to take place at the end of the 2nd, but with this many characters now involved, I think it would be veeeeeeeery tough for them to pull it off (well) at the end of this one.
Staff Online
#32 Posted by CHSPIDEY (10 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't make it like Spider-Man 3, where the secondary villain becomes a plot point. I'm hoping they introduce Rhino, have Spidey fight him, beat him, and that's the last we see of him.

#33 Posted by judasnixon (5440 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha ha ha that is so freaking awesome.... Now only if they can get John Hodgman to play Doc Ock....

#34 Posted by Ninjablade09 (2674 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@Ninjablade09 said:

I wholeheartedly agree that I'd want the death of Gwen Stacy to take place at the end of the 2nd, but with this many characters now involved, I think it would be veeeeeeeery tough for them to pull it off (well) at the end of this one.

Now I think it would be an awesome move (doubt this will happen) is if they are lying about electro being the main villain and Norman will be like Nick Fury in Iron man, secret. Have electro be a quick beat fast villain in the beginning to show how Spidey's improved and more joking Spidey with Goby as the main villain.

#35 Posted by comicfan123 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal: I personally disagree-- Spider-Man 3 pissed me off, so much so that I actually left the theater and I still want my money back. The Amazing Spider-Man was outstanding, and in my opinion, breathed new life back into the character. I just really hope they try to stick with one (and JUST ONE) villain in the TASM sequel. They're off to a fresh new start with TASM; I hope they don't try to rush in too many villains.

#36 Posted by mtrakos (517 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see him as a Mac Gargan

#37 Posted by (((Prodigy))) (2444 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't they learned their lesson about putting too many villians in a Spider-Man movie?

#38 Posted by JakeN7 (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

There better be a lot of CG involved...

Also, having played The Amazing Spider-Man (Xbox 360), I wonder if they are going to go with the whole "cross-species genetics" version. Since, you know, that game was supposed to be a cash-grabbing last minute tie-in epilogue to the film.

The game was really great by the way, it just didn't feel like it had much to do with the film at all.

#39 Posted by Icon (2044 posts) - - Show Bio

I think with rhino, electro, harry, gwen, mj, osborn, etc, they are starting to throw way too many characters into this. It's starting to feel like Spider-Man 3 again.

#40 Posted by Pilgs (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh God no!

#41 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3403 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#42 Posted by nappystr8 (927 posts) - - Show Bio

My first thought was that they are going way overboard with the villains again (Spidey 3 Flashbacks), isn't this the third rumored one? But then I thought about how cool the Sinister Six would be in a well made movie. So who knows.

#43 Edited by TheMultiverse (121 posts) - - Show Bio

This must be a troll post. . . . You got us Guyz. XD. Oh, man that was funny. . . . . . . . . guys?

Seriously though, i think Paul Giamatti is one of the most underrated actors of all time. Rhino though? After seeing what they did with the FACE of Lizard i'm not afraid to admit i'm a little worried, but i'm really hoping it's amazing.

#44 Posted by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

@wr3h said:

Sinister 6 Calling it.

Avengers?

:D?

#45 Posted by Joygirl (15330 posts) - - Show Bio

Giamatti is an outstanding actor. I back him readily in any role.

#46 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

@wr3h said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

@wr3h said:

Sinister 6 Calling it.

Avengers?

:D?

Haha I see what you're saying. But remember Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Loki were already established characters before Avengers. With Spiderman they'd have to introduce Electro, Rhino, and 4 other villians unless they brought back Lizard which they'd only introduce 3. Still that's a lot of characters to introduce in one movie.

#47 Posted by Crackdown (533 posts) - - Show Bio

But.. the video game is canonical.... how does that work out with this?

#48 Posted by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: I can see this happen

@Crackdown: lol who cares? :D

#49 Posted by The Average Bear (2049 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I think a role like Rhino would be a step down for Giamatti. He deserves a role that he can articulate, make his own. Unless they plan on humanizing the Rhino, this isn't the right role in my opinion

#50 Posted by RalfvdH (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Needs to be a big russian guy....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.