Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Organic vs. Inorganic Webbing

nadral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nadral

Just wanted to know where everyone stands on the organic vs inorganic webbing issue. 
    Personally I feel like inorganic doesn't really hold up anymore, as the idea of a substance able to support Peter's weight and instantly stick to buildings etc. would probably have been discovered before Parker got to it. Also, if it was something easily reproducible I think it would be irresponsible of Peter not to get that webbing out to the world at large, it could be very useful in many situations, especially if a kid could afford and produce it. I just don't like that the new movie decides to make the web shooters inorganic again, it's fine in comics, but in more realistic movie worlds, I feel like the only explanation for only peter having web shooters is that it is organic.

tl;dr: I prefer the organic webshooters, you?

nadral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nadral

I'm not saying Pete isn't bright, he is. But so are other people in the universe, many of which are evil. Surely someone would realize how effective the web shooters are, and how relatively easy it would be to replicate them for one of those genius level characters.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I prefer the non-organic Web-Shooters, they show both Peter's genius and creativity as well as are great plot devices when needed.

No Caption Provided
    armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By armylife1124
    @Justin_Credible said:
    I prefer inorganic along with the web shooters. Those help highlight how bright Peter really is. Who is often overlooked due to the likes of Reed, Pym, Doom, Tony, etc.
    They seldom seem to highlight how smart Peter Parker is, I know the Web Shooters are nothing amazing comparatively, but part of his witty remarks being so great is because he is so intelligent.  He is a pretty bright scientist, but that gets little credit(from the small amount of Spidey i have read).
    armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By armylife1124

Oh and I do prefer Peter making his own webbing!

nursury0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nursury0

I don't mind both actually
    But somehow
    I think organic webbing make Spidey to Over powered??

And I like how Peter create his own webshooters :)

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By zombietag

inorganic. all your points are valid, but it is a comic book. its okay for everything not to be completely realistic. its a great plot device for him to run out or even run out of money to make it, and i agree with Justin_Credible about him being overlooked by reed and stark, but peter is genius level so in a comic world its possible him to make it. 

as for him needing to spread it around, lets just wait and see what happens with spider-island. maybe well get a taste of that.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By RedK

I like both of them, the inorganic because it shows how smart he really is and the is a fair amount of upgrades that can be done with them, and the organic because he's always packing them and it would be intresting seeing him experimenting with them trying to get the results that he had with his shooters.

But if he ever got organic shooters again it dosen't mean that he still couldn't wear the shooters for other reasons like tracer launchers maybe a mini computer and other various gadgets

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Caligula

I don't care.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By karrob
    @Justin_Credible said:
    I prefer inorganic along with the web shooters. Those help highlight how bright Peter really is. Who is often overlooked due to the likes of Reed, Pym, Doom, Tony, etc.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Billy Batson

Organic. 

BB

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By danhimself

I prefer the inorganic....the organic made no sense at all....like it was a huge coincidence that when he got the organic webs power that it just so happened that the webbing came from the exact same spot and he still needed to position his fingers the exact same way to shoot it....so stupid

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Inorganic.
    Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both.

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gavinification

Inorganic. 
    But in the comics organic. I want the other powers back.

Avatar image for curbsideprophet
    CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CurbsideProphet

I liked in the civil war when he turned on Iron Man and they had a thing over them both bein' thechies and hacking the suit. Both are fine for me.

Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IKnowEverything
    @nadral said:
    I'm not saying Pete isn't bright, he is. But so are other people in the universe, many of which are evil. Surely someone would realize how effective the web shooters are, and how relatively easy it would be to replicate them for one of those genius level characters.
    All the people in the comic world who are at Peters level of intelligence or arguably smarter have other tools to fit their skill set. Webbing wouldnt make sense nor would it be nearly as helpful for Reed Richards, Doom, Tony Stark, Batman, etc. Peter parkers agility and strength make the webbing so special. Without his reflexes, strength, and agility, it would just be nylon that disintegrates after a couple of hours... which really isnt that useful in the real world. Sure those other brilliant characters could probably come up with the webbing too (probably) but they are off inventing other things that make more sense for the skillsets they have. 
    Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IKnowEverything
    @CurbsideProphet said:
    I liked in the civil war when he turned on Iron Man and they had a thing over them both bein' thechies and hacking the suit. Both are fine for me.
    that reminds me of a comic i read a while back in which Spider-man attaches a tracking beacon to iron mans suit and Tony doesnt notice. Then Spider-man finds him and Tony is like WHAT HOW DID U FIND ME. and spider-man is like... i got  tracking beacon on u fool. Tony was very impressed that anyone could conceal that kind of tech on his suit and he wouldnt realize it.
    sandiego008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sandiego008

In organic for sure!!
    Part of the draw to spidey comics is that he has to juggle many things... school, work, making webbing, playing super hero and last but not least tending to  his personal life/relationships.  Not to mention the comics IMO tend to be better when he is in a jam and his trusty webbing tends to run out or is running low so he has to find different ways to defeat the enemies.  Also, in the past since his webbing was made he made different kinds of webbing ... I think one was called buck shot webbing or something ... this allows him to use his intellect to give him advantages in fights by changing out his webbing type.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.