Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17240 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Official: Peter Parker Returns April 2014 in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

@tigerkaya: Okay point. His comic is still better than Superior though.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@master_of_suprise: I know I enjoy Yost as a writer for Spider-men titles. Now if only he could write Amazing.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter Parker's boring. Always has been, always will be. He simply lacks depth. At least with Octavious, you had a character with a lot of depth; a hero who was flawed and trying to make up for the sins of his past, it was something that kept the story going and the readers on edge. But with Peter, its been pretty much the same character for almost 50 years.

I knew it was going to be Peter again eventually, just wasn't looking forward to it. Hopefully they still continue the Superior Foes comic.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Rubear

Puny Parker shoud stay dead, he is boring.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By tigerkaya

Well Superior fans why not stop reading Spider-man and go read Scarlet-Spider or Venom. They fits the criteria you oh so loved with Slott's take of a brutal version of Spider-Man. So go read that besides you won't miss much. In other words get lost, vamoose and don't bother picking up a title with Parker in it.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya:

Well Superior fans why not stop reading Spider-man and go read Scarlet-Spider or Venom. They fits the criteria you oh so loved with Slott's take of a brutal version of Spider-Man.

Both Venom and scarlet spider have deph and don't rely on their supporting cast to be brain dead.

In other words get lost, vamoose and don't bother picking up a title with Parker in it.

But I do agree with this, if you didn't care for peter parker then you don't care for spider-man period.

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By tigerex78

I am glad that Peter will be back in April. I wasn't a fan of Superior, parts of the story never made sense to me. How could characters who know Peter so well not see that something was wrong? I guess the Superior run is a sort large scale expression of the Parker luck. Now Peter will have to try and rebuild all the things that Otto ruined.

I agree with those who have stated that if people wanted a different kind of Spider-man, Venom and Scarlett were right up their alley. Those titles didn't require a mind swap and supporting characters being clueless. They were fresh and original and had great stories.

I am curious to see what the fallout will be in the first few issues of Amazing.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: He did kill a few evil ninjas and some random assassins from the assassin guild and their goddess

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: He did kill a few evil ninjas and some random assassins from the assassin guild and their goddess

So Scarlet Spider is an anti hero and people say he doesn't kill. well there you go more reasons for Superior fans to read Scarlet Spider he butcher his enemies as a bloodthirsty Wolverine.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By angelalfonso

@tigerkaya: Not only like wolverine, he did all those nasty thing with wolverine

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: That's because the no killing thing happened in the last arc involving Kraven.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By tigerkaya

@tigerkaya: That's because the no killing thing happened in the last arc involving Kraven.

Seems out of character of him, why would he stop killing and feeling bad for it? This the same Kaine who killed Kraven's servant without remorse or reason, laughed at a dead old woman as she lied hapless on the ground, and stalked Ben Reilly across the U.S. to make him miserable. Only time when he's nice is around Peter's family and thats about it.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: Because He actually regrets what he did as a villain. He's so disgusted by his past he threw up. Read the series I assure you it's really good.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@tigerkaya: What @master_of_suprise said, plus, it was the deterioration that made him a villain. Once he was cured (Spider Island), his mind was clear enough to feel remorse for his past, while seeking a better life. Scarlet Spider was a great comic book. You should check it actually.

XManfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hooray!

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do we actually know that Superior is being cancelled to make way for this though? the solicits for Marvel's April titles aren't even out yet

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

"The moment some believed would never happen is coming up."

Really? wow, "some" must not know comics very well.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Allow me to summarize the next 50 years of Spider-Man stories. I'm Peter Parker just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Oh no! Something crazy is happening! Pop culture gag. With great power comes great responsibility.

Azreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If by a twist he means Peter will now be a responsible trustworthy HONEST individual then I'm all for it.

btw that picture of Peter makes me want to put a dialogue bubble next to him saying: DURRRRRRR

_Linea_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By _Linea_11

Give me some better author please, i hate Slott

Ramos' cover is awful

Gimme back JMS, pls

Bandi007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i honestly didnt think he was coming back. Tho, i had hope he was coming back. I couldn't see the marvel logo for awhile without cursing under my breath. the only reason i kept reading marvel was because they had other stories that i also liked.

So, without further ado,

WELCOME BACK SPIDEY!!

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad Petes back!! But did Marvel really have to keep Slott on this. Give another writer a turn. Slott is starting to get stale on the series.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: haters gonna hate. But from Superior who prefers sub par quality where everyone around Spock is written like DC citizen that can't put two and two together, your opinion means absolutely nothing. So please get lost.

ScottyHawkeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 122

What will happen to Superior Spider-man will they abandon it or will they run at the same time

I like Peter Parker's return but will Octavius be Doc Ock again or what

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About time.

Sun_Pusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I want more Superior Spiderman

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mickeymayhew: Well there's been no mention of it continuing and Goblin Nation was entitled The End. So it's a pretty good bet.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

Allow me to summarize the next 50 years of Spider-Man stories. I'm Peter Parker just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Oh no! Something crazy is happening! Pop culture gag. With great power comes great responsibility.

AdwePL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JNugent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't there a rumor circulating at some point that Miles Morales would be heading into the 616 universe?

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By tigerkaya

@jnugent: Nope, he's staying in the Ultimate universe. :)

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnugent:

He did go to the 616 universe, but only for a few pages on the cataclysm event.

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adwepl: yeah but now i wont it in the past because its looking like his return is going to be a mind hurting cluster of a retcon / reboot

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

So remember when I said:

As for this twist, I think the only thing that would really kill my enthusiasm would be if they further damage his relationship with MJ. And it's not outside the realm of possibility:

Pete's back! but he doesn't remember anyone in his life because Ock killed his memories (*Evil Editor: see SSM #9). A new life for Parker begins in the ALL NEW Amazing Spider-Man #1!

I was joking, but did say I didn't think something like this was outside the realm of possibility. Well Newsarama just confirmed that my jokingly-hypothetical-enthusiasm-crusher is in fact exactly what they're doing:

"In the upcoming digital comic Amazing Spider-Man: Who Am I?, Slott and co-writer Joshua Hale Fialkov sees Parker wake up in an amnesiac state with no idea who he is."

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Well damn, so Slott is pulling a Stark Disassembled out of his ass. That's both infuriating and sad. Oh well Spock is still gone so gtfo out of here Superior fans

ScottM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one am pleased Pete is back... I've read a lot of ASM but only in the last 2 years... The one thing I hate about SSM is the lack of story outside of the costume... I might be in the minority here, but I actually like the life story as well :)

Don't care too much for SSM, so hoping for it to finish in April...

Have I misunderstood things??? Is ASM #1 going to be digital only?????

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottm: no, just the amnesia book.

ScottM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By ScottM

@akbogert: Thx buddy... So will they tie in together or are 2 separate stories?

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottm: No idea, but since Slott is writing/cowriting both of them, I imagine they will be related.

Enough so that whether ASM takes place after the 13-issue digital or not, either way his amnesia and identity crisis will be canonical.

Enough so that I've gone back to not caring about Spider-Man books for a good long while more.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By Deranged Midget

@akbogert: A little pre-determined judgement there eh?

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By akbogert

@deranged_midget: No, none whatsoever.

I flat-out said that I had no interest in a blank slate Peter Parker. The fact that he is coming back not knowing who he was, let alone who was in his life, is precisely that.

It's not judging. It's reading.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By Deranged Midget

@akbogert said:

@deranged_midget: No, none whatsoever.

I flat-out said that I had no interest in a blank slate Peter Parker. The fact that he is coming back not knowing who he was, let alone who was in his life, is precisely that.

It's not judging. It's reading.

I understand that standpoint, I really do but aside from a general synopsis, it's all we have. Perhaps I'm a little more optimistic than most or I'm more open to change but considering the extreme lack of context, I find that there's a lot of overly quick reactions to something we're so unaware of.

Listen, I'm not trying to sell you on the book, I think it's a little unfair to so quickly pass judgement on it.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: I just don't really see judgment going on?

The entire interview discusses the book. The whole 13-issue story is about Peter not even knowing who he is. He can't even remember whether he's supposed to stop bank robberies or perpetrate them. Piecing his past together is not the same as coming back to life. Watching home movies and reading newspaper articles about yourself is not the same as having your own memories.

But like I said: it's a synopsis, it's an entire interview, it's the whole conceptual pitch for the book. It's what the writers have literally said the book is about: Peter reading articles and piecing together who he used to be.

I have not made any assumptions whatsoever.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@deranged_midget: I just don't really see judgment going on?

The entire interview discusses the book. The whole 13-issue story is about Peter not even knowing who he is. He can't even remember whether he's supposed to stop bank robberies or perpetrate them. Piecing his past together is not the same as coming back to life. Watching home movies and reading newspaper articles about yourself is not the same as having your own memories.

But like I said: it's a synopsis, it's an entire interview, it's the whole conceptual pitch for the book. It's what the writers have literally said the book is about: Peter reading articles and piecing together who he used to be.

I have not made any assumptions whatsoever.

You're given a synopsis of a an entire arc detailing Peter's to his body and the consequences that follow. Aside from that, we're literally given tidbits of what a can generally be seen as a "sketch" of the the story Slott and the various writers for the digital series plan to write.

Now obviously, you are completely entitled to your opinion but I don't think it's fair to completely judge a mini-series and the series that follows entirely based off an interview reiterating a paragraphed synopsis about something we've been more or less expecting for the past year :P

But I digress. Everyone has their own preferences. For me, I'm happy to see Peter returning and in addition, I'm glad that the writers aren't afraid to shake up the norm by changing the status quo a bit. I find that it keeps me guessing and it becomes less predictable, it's something taken in a completely different direction for the character and it's a nice change of pace as we clearly know it'll only be temporary.

So truthfully, despite what your thoughts on the book or the writers are and that we most likely have differing opinions, I like that we're being given something different and I hope to enjoy the ride :)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

So remember when I said:

As for this twist, I think the only thing that would really kill my enthusiasm would be if they further damage his relationship with MJ. And it's not outside the realm of possibility:

Pete's back! but he doesn't remember anyone in his life because Ock killed his memories (*Evil Editor: see SSM #9). A new life for Parker begins in the ALL NEW Amazing Spider-Man #1!

I was joking, but did say I didn't think something like this was outside the realm of possibility. Well Newsarama just confirmed that my jokingly-hypothetical-enthusiasm-crusher is in fact exactly what they're doing:

"In the upcoming digital comic Amazing Spider-Man: Who Am I?, Slott and co-writer Joshua Hale Fialkov sees Parker wake up in an amnesiac state with no idea who he is."

To be honest, I kind of expected this would be the route taken? Specifically because of that issue. Having Peter completely unaware of who he is makes sense, story-wise, which is why I was devastated when he lost the memory of Uncle Ben. I expected this to haunt Peter when he did come back.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I hope his return is handled well.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever. Sell more books. It's hard to be optimistic about this variation on the death of Superman/Punisher/Batman/Captain America. Yeah, there's always a twist, but the shame is the fans already expect it.

ScottM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What will happen to Superior Spider-man will they abandon it or will they run at the same time

I like Peter Parker's return but will Octavius be Doc Ock again or what

Owner of the shop where I buy my books from seems to think that Superior SM finishes at #31 when ASM will take over...

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMNESIAC SPIDER-MAN ???

No Thanks! IMO, the train wreck continues.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.