Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: The Death of Ultimate Spider-Man?

• 80 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    I feel like I've been putting this off. I've had a few people ask me what I think about The Death of Spider-Man and what the image Marvel recently revealed means for the future of Ultimate Spider-Man. The first thing that comes to mind is this won't really be the death of Spider-Man, right? Marvel wouldn't really kill the one Ultimate character that has proven to be the most consistent and popular series in the Ultimate line? Then again, since this is the Ultimate Universe, pretty much anything goes.
    It has been a week now since the image you see to the right occurred. We've been getting a lot of build up to this story, there's been a lot of Prelude issues but now the final bang has happened. I still won't go into the specifics of why or how Punisher (yes, that's him with the star on his forehead) shot Spider-Man but now that it's happened, we need to figure out what this means and if it really will bring the death of Spider-Man.

What we all want to know is, will Peter Parker actually die or is this just another comic book death? == TEASER ==

Spider-Man can't die...or can he? If we've learned anything from the Ultimate Universe, it's that characters do actually die. Often, they have pretty grisly deaths (remember what happened to Wasp when she ran into Blob?). Characters often take different directions or turn out to be completely different characters (who knew that Ultimate Cable would turn out to be a future Ultimate Wolverine?).

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Characters die in Ultimate Comics. Ask Cyclops or any of the other characters that were seen as dead. Not all were off panel deaths, these deaths did happen. But that doesn't mean Marvel would kill off Spider-Man. It was during Ultimatum when we were last teased that Spider-Man was going to be among the characters that die. Obviously it was just a misunderstanding. People, including, J. Jonah Jameson, thought he died. Would Marvel try to give us a fake death again so soon?

Let's look at what we know so far. First of all, the incident that could be leading to his death was brilliant. With the return of Norman Osborn and the Sinister Six, it looked obvious how things were going to end. Then we had the inclusion of the battle between the Ultimate Avengers and New Ultimates. Spider-Man's involvement with that really threw me off guard.

No Caption Provided
    Marvel has announced that there will be " a new character under the mask." Let's think about that part. Who will be this new Spider-Man?!? I think the key word there is character . They don't say there's a new man under the mask. They purposely leave it gender-neutral. 

Remember when Mattie Franklin made her debut in Amazing Spider-Man volume 2 #1 (otherwise known as issue #442 ). Mattie wore a padded suit that made her look like a guy. When Ultimatum was coming to a close and we saw the teaser of Spider-Man being dead and were told the series would relaunch, I figured it would be one of Spider-Man's clones. Specifically, I was hoping it would be his female clone  doing something similar to appear to be a Spider- Man . Another likely candidate is Kitty Pryde. In her recent guise as Shroud, you couldn't tell it was a dude under the costume. Why wouldn't she step in for someone she cares about?

No Caption Provided
    Of course the real question is, will Spider-Man actually die? It all depends on how you look at it. It is called the Death of Spider-Man and not the Death of Peter Parker (but that obviously wouldn't sound as snazzy). It could be the death of Peter Parker's career as Spider-Man and not the end of the kid under the mask. 

The arc isn't over and there may be more to his injury than just a gunshot, even if it's a gunshot from whatever crazy gun Punisher chose to use. He has a pretty good healing factor so you would think a single gunshot wouldn't be that deadly. Yeah, there'd be internal injury but looking at where he was shot...I would think he'd be okay with some medical treatment. Could there be some other affect of the shot that prevents Peter from being a hero? Will he become disabled in some way and have this lead his retirement as a Spider-Person? Norman is still out there pissed beyond reason (ask Doc Ock and he'll tell you...actually, now he can't tell you anything after his last encounter with Norman).

No Caption Provided
    I know many are speculating that this new Spider-Man could be another clone that's been hanging around. There were quite a few in the Ultimate version of the Clone Saga. Ben Reilly already exists as a different person in the Ultimate Universe. I don't think they'd try to bring in an Ultimate version of Miguel O'Hara (although that would be pretty cool). I'm going to stick with my original thought of Jessica Drew posing as Spider-Man with Kitty Pryde a close second. It has to be someone we know. Throwing in a completely new character could make people not care about the book. There has to be a connection to Peter.

The Death of Spider-Man isn't over yet but I'm digging the story so far. I will be reading and watching to see if there will be major consequences that will stick once it's all over. It's not often that a story centered around a character's death could be so interesting.
    lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By lb70145

Interesting...

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i was hoping for Ben Riley but they chalked that idea off sadly.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#3  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

The story has been super interesting

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

#4  Edited By Duo_forbidden

That's the one thing I both like and dislike about the Ultimate Universe: It's both realistic and at the same time, it's not. I mean in Ultimatum, they killed off a bunch of characters, and so far, they stayed dead. In the Ultimate Spider-man series, the only two people that came back to life were Norman Osborn and Gwen Stacy (technically).

Death of Spider-man has been really good so far. Unlike Ultimatum, I just don't see Peter dying in the end. If anything, the new Spider-man could be like the beginning of Ultimate version of Ben Reilly taking over as Spider-man storyline, except it can't be him. Depending on who he (or she) is and how they approach it, I'd give the new Spider-man 20 or 30 issues before Peter comes back and take over again. But then again, it IS the Ultimate Universe.

MOONGREY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MOONGREY

sweet i had been wanting to read these.. but cant afford the trades just yet.. and haha this kinda feels like it spoiled it a bit for me.. didnt read the article, but im sure its really good.. they usually are..  oh well.. such is life..

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TDK_1997

I dumped the ultimate universe long ago

RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RalfvdH

if Peter Parker survive.... He'll be spider-man again in some time... Just like when Ben Reilly wore the suit for some time.... After like a year Peter Parker is back in the suit...Will probably also happen here... Just wondering who would be his replacement ....for the time being

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eyz

Woah!! °__°
    Intense!

Are they shutting down the ultimate/ultimate spider-man line?
    First they got rid of Miguel O'hara's on-going, then "Mayday" Spider-girl and now Ultimate Spidey? Harsh dude...
    (probably to come up with an all-ages new Ultimate Spider-man book to run alongside the upcoming cartoon...)

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Out_of_Space

Interesting but Ultimate Spider-man is not on of my favourites.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Those pictures from Ultimatum, the very idea of what happened to all those heroes, just burns me up.  I never read it, don't know if its a good story or not, but the idea of taking the Ultimate X-Men or Avengers and killing them all is just so... I was reading Ultimate X-Men and Spider-Man from the beginning... I don't even want to think about it.  I know its an alternate universe storyline, but still... I had stopped reading the Ultimate comics before that anyway.

As for Ultimate Spider-Man, I don't know.  It seems like a bad idea to take a character who everyone thought died, and then "kill" them off again so soon.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By SevanGrim

i cant care about the Ultimates (even though i own the first 20 xmen and spiderman tpb's from what , 10 years ago?) because it doesnt matter. They pick and choose what they want to re-hash from the 616, then they kill half the characters off anyway. Ultimate is good for interesting ideas (The Supeame Power cross over... and this current DOSM), but i cant feel anything for these characters because at the end of the day its still an elseworld. a WHat if. The X-men can die. Spiderman can die... and random people can fill the space. It just.... doesnt matter.

TheShame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By TheShame

Maybe new spiderman's a shield agent given OZ and a new costume?

Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gambitpryde1993

This is really sad :( I think Kitty would make a good choice to pick up the mantle especially w/ her new super-strength, but she doesn't have any spider powers. I hope this is like Gwen Stacy and he's not really dead... Ultimate Comics Spider-Man was the late Ultimate book I read.

Gokujam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Gokujam

I'm sorrry but I really detest everything 'Ultimate'. I hate the shock value approach the books have and in particular I hate how lame Ultimate Spiderman is. No secret identity to speak of (everyone knows who he is). He gets no respect from the other characters, heroes and villains alike.

Then can kill the whole line for all I care....

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dondasch

It's just a flesh wound !

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gun shot definitely doesn't look like anything that would kill the character given the punishment he's taken in previous battles. I don't think the bullet has any special properties given Punisher doesn't use trick bullets like Black Widow.

But I could see a spinal injury that maybe doesn't put him in a wheelchair but severly hampers his ability to move let alone be Spider-Man.

More than who may be under the mask in the new black and red suit (which by the way I'm digging the pattern on and if/when Peter returns to the role he should wear the same pattern)

As to who could be behind the mask.....also remember that there is the Avengers Spider-Man that is supposedly a clone of Peter and Prof. X's from the future who came to the past with a warning. We've only seen him once or twice and I don't think his backstory has been explained anymore than that. From comments during the Avenger books the clone may be crazy and have a small bit of telepathic ability. The black and red costume would definitely fit the personality of this clone, the issues he's in could explore his backstory as well as focus on whatever mission he was sent into the past to accomplish, monitored and working with the Avengers and Ultimates and possibly even exploring him actually creating an identity for himself and beginning his own life.

It would definitely take away the need to explain padding or anything else for Jessica Drew or Kitty Pryde to be under the mask and would actually make use of a Spidey clone that we've only gotten hints about so far.

BigRed125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BigRed125

Ultimate Spider-man was really the comic book that actually got me hooked on comic books. I've read every ultimate spidey comic and am currently reading this story arc too.  I have to say while this arc is good, its torturous for me.

From checking out the rest of the books, i have to say that at this point they're rebuilding the entire ultimate universe.  There are some parts of ultimate marvel that cant change, but the parts they can they will.  Take the x-men for example.  I think that Bendis felt the x-men were too iconic and decided to trash them for a newer, younger generation.  Take Jimmy Hudson for example.  He's gonna be the new wolverine of the x-men.  

The one thing that i both love and hate about the ultimate universe is differentiation.  They try to be different from the mainstream marvel universe and give us stories that are totally original, not just rehashes of old 616 stories.  I love this universe because its different, but at the same time i always find it hard to cope with the fact that your favorite characters can die, and if they do they may not return.
    Arevish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Arevish

Silly move:
    1) Nice costume but he has more costumes than Wasp...
    2) Killing the most famous marvel superhero in an universe that should approches new readers?
    3) Why won't you leave peter in peace?
    Well pete, now you'll have...endless peace...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I prefer the Ultimate Avengers and Spidey because *gasp* I can actually keep up with what's going on. There aren't 3 dozen Avengers in every story and Spidey doesn't have a bunch of meaningless guest appearances in books no one reads. The Avengers roster is pretty darn close to the original (Thor, Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow & new Giant-Man). It's refreshing to me. I don't really care if it's an elseworld or an alternate reality story. It's easy to follow without having to buy a bunch of books every month.

Make Mine Ultimates!  

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Radread

The story is very grabbing and I do own the entire Ultimate Spider-man trade collection but with that said. This doesn't mean I'm going to start picking up this book on a regular basis at all. I've found these series reads better in the trades because even when you get Bendis's famous "talking heads" or shock value. It irks you when it's one issue but when you read the complete volume all together, it flows all the better. Death of Spider-man and "All-new Different Spider-man" will be future trades for me took. The Ultimate Universe has served it's purpose but it's a concept and idea that has ran it's course. I mean Spider-man is their best book with The Ultimates either being a hit or major miss and we are still waiting on Ultimate Comics: X to be you know, monthly and yet after a year they still don't have it down.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Golden Cod

I stopped following the Ultimates line after Jeph Loeb's god-awful writing ruined Ultimates 3 and pointlessly killed everyone in Ultimatum.

There were some genuinely interesting stories to be had prior to that.   No faith in it now.

MagusMaleficus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MagusMaleficus

I think you might be over-thinking the "character" line a bit. I believe they will kill Peter, there will be a new dude wearing a new suit calling himself Spider-Man...but whether or not Peter comes back to be Spider-Man again remains to be seen.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEGRAAF

(remember what happened to Wasp when she ran into Blob?).

I missed this, What did happen to Wasp?

How was Juggernaut killed?

As for "The Death of Spiderman" You almost never (actually absolutely never as far as i know) see it say "The Death of (place Hero name here) and (Place Secret Identity Here)

Ex. The Death of Superman and Clark Kent

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Trodorne

it is sad that a kid like that is killed in his prime. though i never cared for the ultimates universe in anyway shape or form, i do however feel the pain of the fans....kinda. so i hope that the next choice of spider-man will be someone who would do the hero proud.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#25  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @DEGRAAF said:
    "

(remember what happened to Wasp when she ran into Blob?).

I missed this, What did happen to Wasp?

"

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

An Ultimates version of Miguel O'Hara would be unbelievably cool in my opinion.  Sadly I'm not up to date on anything relating to the Ultimates, except having only read the first Ultimate Spider Man and Ultimate Fantastic Four TP's not too long ago.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @G-Man:
    wow, thanks
    Avatar image for shaolin_martian
    shaolin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shaolin_martian

I really do hope peter parker ends up being dead or paralyzed.. that would be a bold move... I want a new guy to take over! a spiderman of a different background

Scoobypuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scoobypuff

it can't be ben reiley cuz in this universe he is some middle aged scientist who was in the first carange arc. unless they pull an ultimate sabretooth and completely change him cuz the writers dont decide to do their homework on the character.(i.e he had 4  claws b4 and then leob gives him metal fingernails.)

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gethere

i just remembered the other supposed clone of peter spider who was seen in the new ultimates issue what about him?

MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By MuadDiab

Death of Spider-Man not Death of Peter Parker. That is all

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NXH

Jesus christ! This ultimate shit is still going?? I thought they finished it after all that ballocks with Ultimatium... (Sarcasm)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Billy Batson

DIE!

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Primmaster64

Its a guy...I am still hoping is Ben.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Joe Venom

Wow another costume for Spiderman, what are they trying to do make him compete with Wasp and Ironman

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By InnerVenom123

Miguel O'Hara. It needs to be him.

Amcgraw84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Amcgraw84

I do have one question..... what about the other Spider-man they showed when they started up the black ops Ultimates team?

TifaBloodedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TifaBloodedge
    Im interested in learning more about this.Hmm..
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

i hope not.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By ReverseNegative

I don't really care. I never follow the Ultimate universe.
    tbpinkfloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tbpinkfloyd

My theory is this: The new Ult. Spider-Man will be this universe's version of Anton Rodriguez

In the 616 universe, Rodriguez is a hero/villain named Tarantula with a red/black outfit: 
    616 Rodriguez

In the Ult. Clone saga, there was a four-armed clone that turned good codenamed Tarantula:

I'm thinking maybe he got his physiology straightened out and may still be around. IF this new Spider-man is Anton, it'd be great to have a hispanic male take on the role of a traditionally white role. There's a chance for great new characters, stories and villains
    kingoftheworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By kingoftheworld

Bendis writing a death. Shocking.  Still not going to make the Ultimate Universe any more interesting.
    MrBigBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrBigBalls

I will read this for sure, I just hope the story will be good though!

bringdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bringdeath

Why did the punisher kill him!
    ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ThomasElliot
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Icon

Great article G-Man. Some interesting thoughts indeed. 

KyleRayner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KyleRayner

not a fan of the ultimate universe

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tmul501

I'm pretty sure they won't make the replacement one of the existing female characters (jessica or kitty). Since Spider-girl was cancelled, I would imagine they wouldn't do essentially the same thing with the UU. I agree that putting a hispanic character behind the mantle would be awesome (either Miguel O'Hara or Tarantula would be cool). I think getting more diversity into lead roles in the UU is a great way to change things up. 

Here's a theory on what happens to Pete. He is paralyzed from the shot but doesn't die. However, he's a hero through and through and won't give up involvement in being a hero. So, he becomes a protege to Tony Stark (who has a brain tumor and will die eventually). As a result, Peter will eventually take over the iron man mantle (allowing him to fight crime while being paralyzed) when Tony dies and someone new will become spider-man. I have no clue who, though.

I really hope it isn't Kitty or Jessica. They're great characters on their own and having them wear a body suit to make them look like a guy would incredibly stupid (imo) and cheapen two strong female characters. Kitty should remain the shroud (since she's awesome) and Jessica should remain either a SHIELD agent or spider-woman. I also hope it isn't the spider from the avengers series Millar wrote. The character seems a little weird and demented and way too dark to replace the main character in USM. Especially if the character really is a mix of Prof X and Spider-man. That is an unusual power set and I just doesn't sound very appealing to me. 

All in all, I'm a huge ultimate universe fan. I'm extremely against them killing peter parker. Ultimate peter/spider-man is my absolute favorite comic character and I'd be extremely disappointed if they killed him. That said, this series has been great and some of the best stuff out of the UU in a long time. 
    Mr.Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 24

#49  Edited By Mr.Q
    @ltbrd said:
    "

The gun shot definitely doesn't look like anything that would kill the character given the punishment he's taken in previous battles. I don't think the bullet has any special properties given Punisher doesn't use trick bullets like Black Widow.

But I could see a spinal injury that maybe doesn't put him in a wheelchair but severly hampers his ability to move let alone be Spider-Man.

More than who may be under the mask in the new black and red suit (which by the way I'm digging the pattern on and if/when Peter returns to the role he should wear the same pattern)

As to who could be behind the mask.....also remember that there is the Avengers Spider-Man that is supposedly a clone of Peter and Prof. X's from the future who came to the past with a warning. We've only seen him once or twice and I don't think his backstory has been explained anymore than that. From comments during the Avenger books the clone may be crazy and have a small bit of telepathic ability. The black and red costume would definitely fit the personality of this clone, the issues he's in could explore his backstory as well as focus on whatever mission he was sent into the past to accomplish, monitored and working with the Avengers and Ultimates and possibly even exploring him actually creating an identity for himself and beginning his own life.

It would definitely take away the need to explain padding or anything else for Jessica Drew or Kitty Pryde to be under the mask and would actually make use of a Spidey clone that we've only gotten hints about so far.

"
    I was thinking something a long these lines. it's smart. it makes sense. and it seems like the best way to go. so of course they wont do it.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i actually like Ultimate Spider-Man more than the 616 version so i hope he doesn't stay dead.!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.