Off My Mind: Spider-Man's Mechanical Web Shooters

• 145 results
#101 Posted by Jedted (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the idea of Peter inventing a super adheasive web fluid, able to spin webs strong enough to support his own weight, is more unbelieveable than the concept of web shooters. 

They sell toy web shooters which aren't much different from the real thing. 

#102 Posted by War Killer (20102 posts) - - Show Bio

It's fiction, not everything has to be exactly realistic to me or even believable. How I read it was that Peter was bitten and though he couldn't create webs, he learned how to make the webbing through being bitten as well, like the spider-bite gave him the blue-prints on how to make the webbing, and with him already being a brilliant  inventor, it  seems pretty simple and believable to me.

#103 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (426 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @welshguy said:
" The whole "webbing out of wrists" thing was icky to me. "
He'd be shooting out bodily fluids. Definitely icky. 
Which begs the question: Does Spidey practice "safe web-slinging"?

@mattdemers said:
"

What were his science projects like and why didn't they earn him a scholarship to some incredibly prestigious school?     

See, it's like why Bruce Wayne doesn't put ziplines/batsuit analogue suits on the market: he doesn't want to call attention to himself. If Pete decided to invent all this junk to get him and May money, he would have brought needless attention to his work, his life and he never seemed to be around when Spider-Man swung by.  Probably not the "canon" response, but it seems to be the most logical. "

This is what I always assumed.  If a kid made a fortune on a brand new invention, It would merit alot of attention. Under those circumstance it wouldn't take long for people to realize that a Superhero, of roughly the same size and build, living in the same general area, started using the same product and method at about the same time as this kid invented it.  Cover blown in no time.
#104 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!

#105 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
"I prefer the mechanical web shooters. If he had organic webs then he'd probably have venom and I don't want to see him running around biting people all the time. "
#106 Posted by Kaioken Kid (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Can comeone explain to me why his body cant shoot it? I know thats not really cannon to cartoon and comics, but I never understood this. So all the spider DNA gave him was streangth, agility and stick to walls ability? I mean, granted thats alot, but why not give him the ability to produc the webs as well?
#107 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I correct in remembering that Ultimate Spider-Man used something his scientist father invented as web fluid? It seems that would be the most elegant solution. That way you don't have to have him be of the appropriate scientific intelligence in order to create it himself. Peter is apparently smart enough to manufacture his own though, still.

#108 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

I basically always assumed that a teenager could come up with the compounds to synthesize inorganic spider webs because...well...he was bit by a radioactive spider and given super abilities like spider-sense, ergo those abilities gave him insight into how spiders developed their webbing because he was part spider now. So the bite was what made him able to make the webbing. So brilliant he may be, but no one could have done it unless they were bit by that radioactive spider. So that's how I write it off. Besides, building an "iron man-esque" tool is more grounded than getting magical powers from being bit by a radioactive spider anyway, right? Not to mention the web shooters add a lot of suspense that was otherwise not there, fearing he'll run out of web fluid.

#109 Posted by kore (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pro web shooter. Not to sound rude, but I don't think realism has much to do with superheroes.

#110 Posted by Belonpopo (29 posts) - - Show Bio

#111 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio
@Belonpopo:
#112 Posted by Icon (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from the fact that he was a teenage prodigy he got help (in the Ultimate line) from his father who was developing the formula before he died. Peter, being the genius he is, simply finished it. Works for me. 

#113 Posted by nacarrell (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I always assumed part of it was that he simply didn't want a patent for it floating around. It would be like Stark throwing the blue prints for his Iron Man suit out there. And why Reed doesn't patent every "rip a hole in the universe to save the world" gun he creates.  It wouldn't be hard to say that he developed it for Spidey. Everyone kind of assumes he knows the guy with all the pics he takes, right? And who would imagine a kid too young to drive a car would be the superhero Spidey is?

Plus, necessity is the mother of invention. Stark COULD have developed the iron man armor before he needed it to save his own life. Thats why spiderman doesn't have some sort of anti-magnet gizmo already. 

#114 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't he go natural after Civil War?

#115 Posted by frogjitsu (478 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why people always make a big deal about stuff like this.  This is FANTASY.  Anything can happen.  It's not supposed to be realistic.  Let me repeat that,  IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC.  Therefore any crackpot thing the creators think can and will happen.  If you don't like it tough.

#116 Posted by The Impersonator (5205 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman has natural webbing if he becomes Man-Spider. 

#117 Posted by Celineness (131 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you know that movie picture is of the web shooters? To me it looks like he's synchronising his two watches :D

Now that's something he can invent - the twin spider-watches! For those "times" when you just can't afford to be late!

#118 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I like artificial better!! I think he got his webbing formula from his father. He is a very smart teen so you can't put it past him.

#119 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio
@QuantomMan said:
" @G-Man said:
" @thechessclub said:

" Maybe his parents got him an erector set early on? "

Is it wrong that I chuckled when I read this? "
Lol, then everyone that read this is in the wrong "
Yep don't worry I did too LOL
#120 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he could! He is a genius and I'm sure some scientist could make web-shooters if he tried.

#121 Posted by Winken Goodfellow (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of the way it was done in the Ultimate universe: it was a formula his father had been working on before he died, and it was something Peter had been tinkering with long before he gained the powers.  He finally tweaked it enough after he was bitten, but it was still something that had been established beforehand.  

#122 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple answer G-Man, he did it, so he could :-P. Personally I wish that he had kept his natural webbing powers that he gained in The Other storyline. As far as him not inventing something to help aunt may Pay the bills goes, that was covered quite well in his Team up with Iron Man in the early part of Fraction's run. He says that most of his inventions have been inspired by his crime fighting. If he patented them and produced them they'd have to be under his real name, exposing him and his friends/family to danger. 

#123 Posted by snajath (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess Spidey is a "Kind-of-Genius" Guy

#124 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3550 posts) - - Show Bio

I can understand why they made the organic web-shooters for the movies. Less time to explain them. I was completely against adding them to the comics. The creators original design was for them to be mechanical. If he wanted organic he would of done so.

Having them be mechanical gives the threat of him running out at a bad situation, they could be damaged, or they malfunction. It gives you an ability as a writer to restrain your hero's movements if you need. Making them organic, it gets complicated to explain why they stop working and why they work again.
I hate it when they use stuff made for movie convenience and adapt it into the comic. The movies should take inspiration from the comics. Not the other way around.

Probably the only thing Quesada did with Spider-man that I agreed with was removing the organic web-shooters.

#125 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad they did this.More realistic.Organic webbing is a joke.Doesn't make a bit of sense in relation to how a spider actually creates webbing.

#126 Posted by woodrobin (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Given that Mozart composed his first concerto when he was five years old, I don't have that much difficulty conceiving of Peter Parker as being a gifted chemist who came up with a quick-drying polymer that degrades over time with exposure to oxygen (it falls apart after a couple of hours . . . presumably a plot device so that crooks he webs up for the cops don't have to be cut out with industrial acids).  And he did get a scholarship to Empire State University based on his work in chemistry (the same university that Reed Richards and Victor von Doom studied at, so presumably they pull in the big brains).  As for why he never invented anything to pay Aunt May's bills, I'm assuming the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing derailed his day job plans.

In the current continuity, he has a job with a prestigious think tank, so he does eventually make some brain-related money.

#127 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on guys, gals!
It's a world of SCIENCE FICTION!
You don't need no more explications than that.

If a small thug like the Shocker could create his high tech sonic gauntlets-thingies, why could a super smart kid like Peter do the same. And the thing was, yes, the villains did also create inventions. Crazier, more powerful and dangerous inventions. Doc Ock's arms, the Shocker's gloves-"thingies", the Vulture's wings (in PRISON!!), the Chameleon's belt, etc...
but it was Peter Parker and his inoffensive "glue-like" web, that small non-lethal invention, that in the end defeated all those villains!

It's a fantasiy! Scifi! A make believe!

Plus I actually prefer to imagine a "kid" like Parker could build up web-shooters after turning into the Amazing Spider-man than Tobey/Peter Parker could help out Octavius on a "super-atomic-reactor" machine in Spider-man 2.

#128 Posted by spidershamrock (1128 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer how they did it in the Ultimate Universe with his father making the formula and shooters and Peter just figured it out and solved it

#129 Posted by Suigetsu (1720 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt:  back at the time the idea would had never ocured to them, and its funny because in an interview stan lee said that he liked the idea of organic shooters.
#130 Posted by Mucklefluga (2542 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the movie is great i don't mind

#131 Posted by etragedy (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

I normally hate revisionist trash foisted on us by the film versions.

But I gotta say - in the case of Spider-Man, the organic web shooters just make more sense to me.

#132 Posted by the creator (8560 posts) - - Show Bio

Since he's smarter than me, then yes he could have designed them. 
The challenge comes in construction as they appear to be quite advanced i.e. precision maching with high surface finish tolerance etc. 
Fom an engineering persepctive, even with a lot of design / development resources, you still make mistakes and so have a development time frame. He may have required 3 or 4 prototyopes before settling on the final design, that prevented web fluid clogging the projection nozzles etc.

#133 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3550 posts) - - Show Bio
@Suigetsu said:
" @FoxxFireArt:  back at the time the idea would had never ocured to them, and its funny because in an interview stan lee said that he liked the idea of organic shooters. "
Really, because it makes perfect sense as a story writer. You don't want your protagonist to be too mobile. You want a reason to restrain him. It helps build tension. Wasn't the whole reason they made the character brilliant so they could explain away how he built something such as the web-shooters.

Even if at one point he liked organic, he obviously changed his mind at some point and went with mechanical.
#134 Posted by sagefire (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked the explanation that they gave in the 90's cartoon. At one point Peter said that after being bitten by the spider, he instinctively knew what chemicals to mix in order to create the webbing. I've always liked this explanation as peter only needed the engineering knowledge of creating the actual shooting device itself, rather than the chemical process.

#135 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

the 90's cartoon explained it really well. but when i first heard they were chamging them in the first film, i thought they were going to mix the two ideas. he makes organic goo, but he needs the webshooters to work the way he needs them to.

#136 Posted by Warcry80 (2151 posts) - - Show Bio
@norusdog:
I agree with your entire post! I would have prefered they went with the organic webbing. It seemed more realistic to see the webbing coming out of his wrist, besides he didn't take on another 4 limbs like a spider, so webbing from the wrist naturally shouldn't have been a problem.!
#137 Posted by meatdimensionfighter (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Peter graduate high school with top marks in chemistry and physics, etc., and then do graduate studies in biochemistry at Empire U?  I also thought that since the spider bite heightened his reflexes and senses, it may have also increased other brain functions.  

#138 Posted by shajaki (18 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont remember where i read this, but i was under the impression he inherited certain "spider-knowledge" along with his other powers. maybe even at a subconcious level. that coupled with him being a brilliant chemist i can see him creating a formula for web fluid rather easily. the web shooters themselves, likewise.

the thing i didnt like about the organic shooters was.. how do you explain how his body produces the webbing? and i doubt he could.. "store".. enough webbing in his body to make a swing trip across new york let alone get in a fight. so he would have to produce the webbing as fast as he uses it. more thinking=bigger headache.

#139 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

peter has always been considered a genius and if i am not mistaken, had it not been for his activities as spiderman and his negligence to school work an learning he would have been in the leagues of the rest of marvel's super geniuses like reed richards, hank pym, etc.

#140 Posted by blackdawn7 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Parker probably was capable of the invention due to his undeniable knowledge and the urgency to stop tragedy, throwing his vigor into overdrive , however ; what happens if the mechanical break? What if it runs out of material? The Lizard broke them in The Amazing Spider-man movie. No web, means no swing. I wouldn't think that the web being stuffed in his wrist makes any logical sense. So, do away with that thought now. The web produces in the gland when needed. Not whenever it pleases. It's an on command kind of action. I think organic makes more of a stand on the super-ability side of Spider-man and just straight up common sense.

#141 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest its not the web-shooters I have a problem with but rather the web-fluid. I buy that Peter is smart enough to make the web-shooters and web-fluid, but I always wondered how a 15 year old kid manages to get chemicals on par with government labs on a photographer's budget and keep the lab equipment that would be required to produce the webbing hidden from Aunt May. The Amazing Spider-Man moive explaned that rather niftily but I have a massive problem with the implication that Peter steals the stuff from Oscorp.

So my version of Spider-Man has organic webs that CAN run out (due to being used up faster than his body can make them or simple damage done to his rather sensitive spineretts) without the easy fix of popping in a new web-cartrage, rather he has to eat something and wait about 3 hours before he can spin webs again and even then he has to be conservitive (or wait until his spineretts heal up) as well as his web pressure being screwed up by say traquillizers and other relaxents. However he later guts his father's old web-shooters (in the original sense of the word) and turns them into "web-enhancers" which allow him to do some of the more absurd things with his webs (like spin a web parachettet, a giant spider web with one "thwip" or web gloves) that in a desparate time can be converted to classical web-shooters as well as later upgraded versions allow him to alter the very chemical nature of his webs (taser-webs, fire-webs, etc.) as well as the old ones being given to MJ as an aniversery gift.

#142 Edited by rugrat (174 posts) - - Show Bio

does it really matter how he does it those are just small plot holes the real topic is which webbing is better

• which of the webbing can be customized to fight a specific villain
  • which can be used in the most versatile of ways
  • which actually seems cooler

which reminds me how did ben riley even get his webbs

-didn't notice the last post was so long ago, but i might as well revive the topic-

#143 Posted by JasonHawke (1235 posts) - - Show Bio

Im going Pro-Organic Webbing for Spiderman.

Although mechanical wristlets does add neat costume designs.

#144 Posted by angelalfonso (994 posts) - - Show Bio

Mechanical webs for me……. never really liked the idea of organic web.

#145 Posted by Blood_Red_Rage (508 posts) - - Show Bio

Either way is fine but the mechanical shooters allow for different types of webbing which can be neat.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.