Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Spider-Man's Mechanical Web Shooters

• 145 results
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Video_Martian

I prefer the mechanical web shooters ;)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52  Edited By TheCrowbar

Doesn't his webbing dissolve after an hour?

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Crackdown

I like the Ultimate version, where his father had created the idea, and Peter just went with it and and improved upon it.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By Om1kron

5 bucks says for pacing purposes he orders them on ebay and just invents the silly string for his webbing due to chemestry which he's good at. If I recall science was his strong point not engineering. 

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#55  Edited By sladewilson30

anything is possible in comics

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the fights where he has had his webshooters crushed or he simply ran out of cartridges. People may want the organic webbing, but it doesn't fit in well with his ingenuity.
    Technoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Technoman

Never thought of that.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#58  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @InnerVenom123:
    I just try to suspend disbelief when it comes to the web shooters.  When I do that they might as well have been invented by Aunt May. 
    00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By 00 Raiser

You mean to tell me that in the new Spider Man movie his body wont produce it. LAME!!!!

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By kimeraevet
    @SupremoMaximo: lol awesome what you did to your kid 

To all others: 
    Everyone is harking on the fact he was a teenager who created something pretty awesome and didn't capitalize on it.  He was a teenager, and a nerdy little wimp at that.  The fact he didn't use the webbing to kill himself after all the bullying is a testament to how the writers portrayed his parents.  He was 15 and decided to use his powers and intellect to fight crime as a superhero.  This is proof that he is not as socially adept as he is scientifically smart.  Oh, and remember everyone else who is as smart as he is in the Marvel U is either broke (Reed Richards), inheritor of wealth(Black Panther) or a super criminal (The Wizard, Dr. Doom, MODOK, The Leader).   Not looking out for his aunt financially becomes understandable in this world of intergalactic flaming psychic bird gods and world breaking green giants with daddy issues; the self-centered, self-pitying, and ridiculously naive Peter Parker became a super hero at 15 instead of a billionaire genius. 

Oh and just realize that because you aren't or weren't smart enough to create something that can make millions doesn't mean someone else can't.  It is a comic book, one created at a time of heavy psychedelic drug use and children still having an innocent-ish childhood.  Ridiculous ideas and idiotic idealism are par the course to understanding myths and enjoying them. 
    Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Spideycap

Believable compared to what?  a kid who gets bitten by a radioactive spider and gains super human powers? Lol, its all impractical and unbelievable but thats part of what makes spiderman great. A big part of the Peter Parker character is his incredible intelligence. The first movies missed that boat entirely and im glad to see this movie is on the button. I've gotta believe almost all long time fans can't wait to see these things in action, i know i cant.
    Neuron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Neuron

Peter Parker may have been an incredibly gifted lad, but was he smart enough to actually design the webbing and web-shooters at that young age?  

I would go with either "no, because no one has used a material like this anywhere in real life for the last 40 years", or "it doesn't matter because what we're discussing is probably the most outlandish form of fiction ever to exist, where anything is possible".
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#63  Edited By Silkcuts

He must have a spider brain or something.

red_rover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By red_rover
    @SupremoMaximo:   Well played.  Nice list, by the way.
    red_rover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By red_rover

Peter not marketing his webbing makes sense if you look at his decision making from that time period.  He gets his powers and tries out show business/wrestling to make money.  That didn't turn out so well.  It brought pain and death to his loved ones.  No way he tries again to use his full abilities, spider or Parker, in the spotlight for profit.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By goldenkey

After watching the films over and over again I grew used to organic web-shooters.  It made sense.  Spiders shoot webs.  I don't think it really matters if they are organic or come from a liquid that Peter Parker makes.  It doesn't change the character or his traits.  It makes more sense for him to have organic webs, and only because this it entertainment he doesn't have them coming out his butt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps the question that should really be on people's minds is "Why is it alright for Peter Parker to kidnap millions of innocent spiders, place them in a warehouse and force them to make webbing all day?"

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By tigerex78

Do you also have a problem with the new suit he made?  Seems like that was also whipped up really quickly and look at what it does.  Is it unlikely yes, but so is just about everything in comics.  I think you have over analyzed this.  Think about how unlikely each origin of a superhero is and you could talk about this for years.  

Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Justiciar

The First that came to mind is a discussion in Kick-Ass of Millar between Dave and his friends out of a comics shop, in which he was speaking about the inability to see in a movie of spider-man the web shooters!! ahaahah 

El_Derrico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By El_Derrico

Just curious: has anyone ever made real web shooters like on Mythbusters or something, other than cans of Silly String?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I remember reading an issue of Spider-Man some place that he himself mentions that the radioactive spider-bite that gave him his powers gave him incite into how to make the webfluid, how spiders make webbing, and how he could.  Sort of like it came naturally to him how to do it.  Plus he is smart enough to create devices to stop his enemies in the past.  To defeat the Vulture, to stop Doc Ock, to stop the Lizard, he reprogrammed a robot, and created Spider-Tracers.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    InnerIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By InnerIronMan
    @RazzaTazz said:
    " The main issue I always had was a matter of mass.  He has enough cartridges on his wrist to be equivalent to a can of silly-string.  So with two wrists he has about two cans worth.  This would equate to maybe 40 seconds of shooting.  No say the web susbtance exists to it can be projected and expands in air somehow - this would give him maybe three or four times as much, so every time Spider Man heads out to fight crime, he has maybe 2 and a half minutes or webbing to use.  Thats not a lot.    Even if it is organic, all that matter being expelled from his body has to come from somewhere, and if it is like a real spider would leave him severely dehydrated.  "
    he depleted it once during the civil war on iron man and his webs had gone internal. he stated that he had never used all of it since it had gone internal. 

I have no preference to organic or mechanical, but I don't like how you can see the pressure pad on the suit.
    Sanj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sanj

I think if Peter used his own DNA as part of the chemical compound for the web-fluid, then that would be a pretty plausible explanation for many of your questions Tony. 

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By HolySerpent
    @cattlebattle said:
    "Pro-Mechanical for me "
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#75  Edited By Gambit1024

How can Spider-Man make a fist without setting off his web shooters ?
    El_Derrico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By El_Derrico
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " How can Spider-Man make a fist without setting off his web shooters ? "
    I've always heard it's suppose to be a quick double-tap that sets off the shooters,  but you never see him actually do that. 
    GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By GLforHIRE

he can invent web shooters but not a shamwow and get rich? lol,  as for his smarts, i've always considered him kind of genius level but lacking common sense. I mean he was able to understand doc octs fusion generator in the movie and in the comics hes breaking down quantum physics and things like that with reed richards and tony stark, so i dont see why he wouldnt be able to be smart enough to build them. now why no one else has been able to do it? whole nother story
    Prims777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#78  Edited By Prims777

i liked the explination in ultimate spider-man, his dad made the formula for the webs and he just perfected it 

Avatar image for graphiccasualfreak
    GraphicCasualFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 2

I think way back when it would have been a stretch that it was part of his powers.  Besides it was a good plot device. "I ran out of web fluid!"

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Peter was always shown to not just fight the bad guys, but invent things to help him beat them.  He was also shown to be on his way to becoming the next Reed Richards.  He was on the fast track to being a scientific genius with or without the spider-bite, so I can see him inventing the webbing and shooters, adding that he gained certain knowledge when he was bitten.  Like an innate sense of how to make webbing.

Peter the scientist
    Peter the scientist
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Sammo21

I am pro-mechanical as well. 

Didn't they pass it off as something Peter found that his Dad was working on and he made it his own?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#82  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @sammo21 said:
    " I am pro-mechanical as well.  Didn't they pass it off as something Peter found that his Dad was working on and he made it his own? "
    Only in the Ultimate Universe. 616 he made them himself.
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Sammo21
    @InnerVenom123: Yeah, sorry forgot to add "Ultimate".  I knew 616 Parker created them :p
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Sydpart2

Oh so the web in the mechanical shooters is a chemical compound? When I was a kid and watching the show, whenever he'd say he was out of web I just assumed that he was crapping in a can and putting that on his wrist, never thought about it beyond that...

Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mistersarcastic

They're using the mechanical  web-shooters in the movie?! Awesome! I know now I will definitely love this movie. 

And I'm like Spidey with the web-shooters, or his organic webs in the comics. But...it's nice they're starting him out without the organics in the movie.

Avatar image for thecheckeredman
    thecheckeredman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By thecheckeredman

As much as I'm typically a traditionalist, I actually didn't mind the organic web-shooters in the Raimi flicks.  It made more sense in the context of the films and as plausible as super-strength, wall-crawling and a "spider-sense" vs. a teenage kid building such an amazing contraption and develop such a material (web fluid) who is always low on cash.  It seemed a necessary evil much like updating Tony Stark's origin occurring in the Middle East vs. Vietnam.    

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#87  Edited By Silver Knight75

I think I want to see the mechanical web-shooters. The organic ones seem a little odd as if they were really organic, they would less likely come out of the wrist and out of the....you know.

Kyle C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Kyle C

I always found the idea of a high school kid making something like the web shooters insane even for a comic book, and the whole justification of "no man, the spider bite made him ABLE to create them!" is just as silly. If that's the case, why not just say the spider bite gave him web powers? It just makes more sense... you know, more sense in a "i got super powers from a radioactive spider" sort of way, but still...

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

I like that they are going with mechanical web shooters. Just another small aspect of the movie that sets it apart from the original Spider-Man movie. 

New costume, new title, mechanical shooters, Gwen instead of MJ; they really don't want this reboot to be related to the first movie franchise

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By Calvin

Why not? Batman, Lex Luthor, Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man. Every one in Comics are genius and can invent stuff, but when it's Spider-man and Superman people question their intellect. Get a life people. 

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#91  Edited By Woodclaw

As general rule I prefer the mechanical webshooters too.

About of Pete could invent them back at the time of his debut (when he was 15-16)... maybe, overall the mechanical part of the webshooters is just a glorified spray-gun, like those used for painting.
     I't the fluid I'm not so sure about.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By csl316

Why and how?  It's comic books.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By sparty-dbq

"Crackers and milk!?"  Are you f---ing kidding me?!  Is that supposed to be an exclamation or is he asking Aunt May for a mid day snack? 

Oh, early 60's.  Sometimes I wonder what was the point of you.

blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By blaakmawf

I prefer the organic ones. It's more "believable".

neomech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By neomech

I'm also a fan of how Ultimate Marvel handled it. He found his brilliant father's unfinished (nearly finished? can't remember) work on an advanced adhesive, and adapted it for web-spinning purposes.

Avatar image for knightofcydonia
    Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#96  Edited By Noctis
    @Psykhophear said:
    " I like Spidey shooting the webs organically like in the movies and not mechanically. "
    Ontherun1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Ontherun1994

Eh, I prefer the webbing to be natural.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's more believable, actually? Spiderman's intellect as a teenager or the fact that he can cling to walls and sense when someone is behind him? No one ever questions why Bruce Banner can increase his mass because someone puts too much ketchup on his McDoubles.

Avatar image for beyond_your_doom
    Beyond your Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Beyond your Doom

He may have got some of the bugs down by looking at what other leading scientists (like Mr. Fantastic or more likely Dr.Banner) and the may have even helped him.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By TheHBK

Why don't people ask about why his costume is changed from the original design, no need for it.  If you are gonna do different, go all the way.  But thats not the real question either.  It is, "how can a little nerd sew up that thing?  It looks like its made of a cloth Stark would sell."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.