Off My Mind: Spider-Man Gets New Abilities to Survive Spider Island

• 81 results
Posted by G-Man (34037 posts) - - Show Bio

The Spider-Island story arc has officially started and already things aren't looking good for Spider-Man. Over the past couple months, we seen snippets of residents of New York City gaining spider-powers. This was all part of a plan set in motion by the Jackal (and a mysterious woman). More and more, New Yorkers found themselves with great power and the results were mixed. Some have decided to use the power for good while others are using them to cause chaos.

Since Spider-Man has had his abilities for about half his life, you would think he has mastered them by now. Just because he'll find himself facing people with his same powers doesn't mean they'll be on even ground. Giving two people the same tools doesn't mean the novice will be able to accomplish what the expert can.

Although when fighting against Spider-Woman, who was under the influence of Mandrill's pheromones, Spider-Man was getting his butt kicked. Why? Spider-Woman has similar powers and Peter may have had his longer but she also has a different kind of experience. Being trained by both HYDRA and SHIELD, Jessica Drew knows how to fight and doesn't have to only rely on her powers.

With Spider-Man recently losing his spider-senses, what can he do? Learn Kung Fu!

== TEASER ==

There was a time when it felt like all characters knew karate or Kung Fu. Coming out of the success of Kung Fu movies in the 70s, it was a natural progression that the fighting style made its way into comics. We've seen characters in training sessions many times and hand-to-hand combat is essential. Heroes can't only rely on their superpowers. Knowing how to fight is essential as well.

Why on Earth should Spider-Man need to learn Kung Fu? Spider-Man's always faced incredible odds. I remember being impressed way back in Secret Wars #3 when he took on the entire X-Men and Professor X. Besides the super-strength and crazy agility, Spider-Man has had his spider-senses to assist him for years. He could be in a room full of opponents and his sense would warn him of any coming blows or attacks. With the loss of them, he's just a super-fast, strong and agile hero who could still get suckerpunched from behind.

Now finding himself faced against a horde of spider-strength foes, he's actually at a disadvantage. We've seen some of the infested actually possessing spider-powers that Spider-Man doesn't have, such as natural webbing. Spider-Man didn't have unique powers before and now all of New York is gaining spider-powers.

As Julia Carpenter, the new Madame Web, has pointed out, the trials that Spider-Man is going through and will have to face will only make him a stronger hero. He's taken his powers and abilities for granted for far too long. We saw some adjustment in trying to cope with the loss but there should have been more. Shooting webs and swinging around safely should require loads of care and precision. On top of having to fight against opponents with similar powers, when this is all over, Spider-Man will have evolved to an even more formidable hero.

Kung Fu and Karate were always the answer when heroes needed to learn hand-to-hand combat. Imagine what those abilities can do when backed by Spider-Man's super-strength and agility. It might be unnecessary and unless he keeps up with it, he won't become a karate expert over night. Villains these days are becoming more and more deadly. Spider-Man needs all the help he can get. He has been creating more tech items at his dayjob in order to give him more of an edge. What it comes down to is Spider-Man with Kung Fu abilities is more interesting that Spider-Man with a bunch of gadgets. Using tech is too easy. It's cool once in a while to see what kind of technological toy he could whip up for himself but we all would rather see Spider-Man use his fists against his foes.

Spider-Man will most likely re-gain his spider-senses someday. They can't be gone forever. We also know that Spider-Island will be resolved and the New Yorkers will lose their new powers. If gaining a new fighting edge means he needs to endure this time of difficulty, it will all be worth it in the end when he's moping the floor with his enemies.

Staff
#1 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

So, Spider Man is attempting to become a martial artist like Wonder Woman, or Batman ?

#2 Posted by leokearon (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Coming to a comic shop near you:

Peter Parker: Master of Kung Fu!

Still I think it is a good idea that Spidey learns some new skills.

#3 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he only loses his Spider-Sense when he fights against other spider-like creatures like the Venom, Anti-Venom, and Carnage? Or was that only on those three specifically? And is going to get his stingers back? They only come out when he fights spider-powered people like that Other chick. I want to see the stingers again.

#4 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

squirrel girl knows squirrel-fu so peter should know spider-fu to save his butt from being obliterated(i would said kicked obliterated is such a strong word)

#5 Posted by Dernman (15086 posts) - - Show Bio
@leokearon said:
Coming to a comic shop near you:

Peter Parker: Master of Kung Fu!  Still I think it is a good idea that Spidey learns some new skills.
Don't you mean ......
Peter Parker: Master of Spider Fu
Peter Parker: Master of Arach Fu
#6 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wanted Peter to learn some kind of martial arts, now that he is it's pretty cool.  I just hope that down the line writers don't forget that he did learn martial arts and that if he finds himself powerless he can't defend himself.

#7 Posted by gui22 (383 posts) - - Show Bio

So hes going to have the edge with kung-fu?LMAO.What the?

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE. Spider-Man doesn't need to learn martial arts, he's developed his own method of fighting, which incorporates his Spider sense, how about you ****ing bring that back instead of all this useless crap? 

I love Dan Slott, but wtf man?

#9 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why they took away his spider-sense, to make him more vulnerable? 'Cus it's not like other people can beat him, oh wait, yes it is. So basically they've just made him weaker. His Evolve or Die powers should still be there, but they've only appeared like once or twice.

#10 Posted by Top Flight Security (142 posts) - - Show Bio

He should have learned Kung Fu a long time ago. But better late than never. I've taken martial arts for quite some some and with it, you learn to anticipate your opponent; with his agility and skills, he'll become a better defensive fighter.

#11 Posted by Golden Cod (425 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE. Spider-Man doesn't need to learn martial arts, he's developed his own method of fighting, which incorporates his Spider sense, how about you ****ing bring that back instead of all this useless crap?   I love Dan Slott, but wtf man?

I think it's because his spidey sense has become a crutch that his fighting style relied on.   Likely he needed to anticipate his enemy's movements to chain his attacks properly and now that he's (temporarily) without it, he has to adjust to a fighting style that doesn't utilize premonition.
#12 Posted by Golden Cod (425 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordRequiem said:
I don't understand why they took away his spider-sense, to make him more vulnerable? 'Cus it's not like other people can beat him, oh wait, yes it is. So basically they've just made him weaker.
Wouldn't that make his victory sweeter? Apart from the fact that we're talking about fiction and that heroes always win in fiction.
#13 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordRequiem said:

I don't understand why they took away his spider-sense, to make him more vulnerable? 'Cus it's not like other people can beat him, oh wait, yes it is. So basically they've just made him weaker. His Evolve or Die powers should still be there, but they've only appeared like once or twice.

Exactly right. He's already underpowered compared to his rogues and teammates. Taking away his Spider sense was just stupid and unnecessary.
#14 Posted by Jake Fury (18617 posts) - - Show Bio

The Other Spidey didn't need no stinkin' Spider Kung Fu!
#15 Posted by TheMadMonkey (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Humberto Ramos needs to leave the comic book industry. 
And it would be really super if he'd take Liefeld with him.

#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE. Spider-Man doesn't need to learn martial arts, he's developed his own method of fighting, which incorporates his Spider sense, how about you ****ing bring that back instead of all this useless crap? I love Dan Slott, but wtf man?

QFFT

#17 Posted by Blizaga101 (932 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMadMonkey
Humberto Ramos is an amazing artist, he shouldnt leave the comic industry or even stop drawing spiderman. Thats just too harsh. Maybe its just your opinion i just know hes an amazing bonus for marvel and normally compliments the stories greatly
#18 Posted by DEGRAAF (7881 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordRequiem said:

evolve or die powers?

How did he lose his Spider sense?
#19 Edited by Stormmagician (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more than 100% positive that the mysterious woman is the Queen who was responsible for Spidey's first power up during the avengers disassembled arc, so maybe he'll gain more abilities for his lack of spider-sense when Spider Island is over with(even better if he gets it back).  Meanwhile I'm cool with him learning some Spider Fu, at the very least it should stop losing or having much trouble against other big marvel martial artists just because he wasn't trained.

#20 Posted by snowtires (28 posts) - - Show Bio

In that last picture, why are Spider-Man's arms two feet longer than they should be?

#21 Posted by Oghmata (21 posts) - - Show Bio

There's one thing that really bugs me, here. Just like FadeToBlackBolt said, Spidey already has is own fighting style, but that style doesn't depend on wether he has is Spider-sense. Remember Taskmaster copied his fighting style so that he could teach wannabe vilains how to use it ? They did, and they didn't have spider-sense, and neither did Taskmaster ! But, one way or another, Peter already has a definite fighting style ! He already created his Arach Fu !

#22 Posted by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I take absolutely every new development with spider-man with a gain of salt.  

Spider-Sense will be back sooner than you can say one more day.  

#23 Posted by Edgeworth_11 (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

The fight against the X-men is PIS.
#24 Edited by Trodorne (2588 posts) - - Show Bio
SIDE NOTE OF INTEREST: The mysterious woman whom I think is causing this is none other than madam web ( julia carpenter) who else would be so obsessed with spiders to give people spider-mans powers if not for the sole purpose of training peter for the future. it makes sense and it makes madam webs character that much more interesting.
#25 Posted by NexusOfLight (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

Pete's never had his own method of fighting. I don't understand how anyone following Spider-Man could ever think that. Ever since he's started, all he's ever done was respond and react. Logically speaking, Spider-Man should never be touched at all, but all throughout his career, he's getting tagged and beat. If he actually knew the basics behind fighting, that would've never been the case. Imagine Steve Rogers, Shang Chi, Iron Fist or even your average every day karate instructor had Spidey's powers. Every last one of Spidey's regular villains would be ended right there on the spot. There was never any method before, his powers did all the work. Slott knew this, so he thought it'd be interesting to see how Spidey would respond/react without having premonition to back him up, and he's a genius for doing so. It's high time Spidey learned how to fight for real. And if Spidey ultimately gets his Spider Sense back at the end of this event, which in my opinion would be the way it plays out, then we'd have a more competent player in the super hero biz.

#26 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Kung Fu Spider-man is great, and Spider-Island is awesome

#27 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't need to be a master of kung fu but it'd be nice if he learned more than instinctual punches and backhands. I think they're doing this really well. Normally a shift in character abilities means new and crazy powers that maybe don't make much sense and quickly go away (e.g., Spider-Man: The Other). Usually when a character needs training it's because there's some threat greater than any he's ever faced and he is simply not strong enough (e.g., every Dragonball storyline ever). In the current Spidey stuff though, they've made a minor reduction in Pete's powers that have him changing how he does things a bit in order to make up for that lack and possibly even improve altogether.  

It's deftly done, unlike when Wonder Woman lost all her powers and became a ninja.
#28 Posted by sergyanime (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like anyone complaining about spidey losing his spider sense hasn't read anything in slots run. I think that him sacrificing his spider sense for the greater good was amazing. 

#29 Posted by Dedpool (336 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Fu is an awesome idea, and hopefully he'll get to a point where his new kung-fu created senses will rival his spder sense so it's like he never lost it

#30 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty psyched to see what Peter can do by the end of this book. It's about time he started gaining some new powers instead of always losing them

#31 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

It is just a minor tweak in his powers, insead of having a spider sense to predict his enemies attacks, now he uses natural skill, it might not be more effective but it is only a minor tweak. Once he gets his spider sense back, there will be less of the kung fu aspect, especially if Slott stops writing. Until then he will be a fighting machine.
#32 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
I thought he only loses his Spider-Sense when he fights against other spider-like creatures like the Venom, Anti-Venom, and Carnage? Or was that only on those three specifically? And is going to get his stingers back? They only come out when he fights spider-powered people like that Other chick. I want to see the stingers again.
He lost his spider-sense entirely a few issues back. 
#33 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

This storyline and the prelude with the FCBD issue is probably important in showing how superheroes must be resourceful.   After all, Spidey for too long seemed as if he had been relying on his powers for so long that he had probably neglected fine arts such as strategy, finesse and combat.  Anyone would if they had super strength or spider-senses and swiftness at their disposal.  This story is good because in a way its almost like Rocky 3 for Peter Parker in that he has to get the "eye of the tiger" back.  And when he does, he's gonna have his powers back and will be more bad @$$ than ever before!

#34 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio
I LIKE RAMOS ON ASM!! everyone stop complaining. and the other sucked. boom. everyone shutup now. 

also, spidey looks really corny in his kung fu outfit haha
#35 Posted by tigerex78 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

His knowledge of his powers should give him an edge against anyone with similar powers.  His brain should be at the forefront of defeating those with spider powers.  In martial arts knowing your opponent gives you an advantage in defeating them.  If you combine spider-man knowing his opponent with his fighting ability and his tech advances he will be much more formidable. 

#36 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:

The Other Spidey didn't need no stinkin' Spider Kung Fu!
Exactly. And yet, they still haven't explain why he lost those powers. He might get those powers back in Spider-Island.
#37 Posted by Xaviersx (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't fault a person or character learning new skills to for fun, work, or to compensate for a loss. The loss itself may be questionable (I don't read the books). Peter's got a mind for learning, and he's got a responsibility that puts him in need of skills to fight crime. Again, another situation were a plot device may be shoehorned but the stories resulting can/could be good/amazing. Maybe in the good ole days, he could have talked with Matt Murdock about loss, coping and compensation.

#38 Posted by danhimself (22541 posts) - - Show Bio
@zombietag said:
I LIKE RAMOS ON ASM!! everyone stop complaining. and the other sucked. boom. everyone shutup now. 
I completely agree....Th Other was dumb and Ramos is doing a great job on ASM!!
#39 Posted by Aldie_N (91 posts) - - Show Bio

You can see him training in ASM #666, The Prelude to Spider-island.

#40 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@NexusOfLight said:
Pete's never had his own method of fighting. I don't understand how anyone following Spider-Man could ever think that. Ever since he's started, all he's ever done was respond and react. Logically speaking, Spider-Man should never be touched at all, but all throughout his career, he's getting tagged and beat. If he actually knew the basics behind fighting, that would've never been the case. Imagine Steve Rogers, Shang Chi, Iron Fist or even your average every day karate instructor had Spidey's powers. Every last one of Spidey's regular villains would be ended right there on the spot. There was never any method before, his powers did all the work. Slott knew this, so he thought it'd be interesting to see how Spidey would respond/react without having premonition to back him up, and he's a genius for doing so. It's high time Spidey learned how to fight for real. And if Spidey ultimately gets his Spider Sense back at the end of this event, which in my opinion would be the way it plays out, then we'd have a more competent player in the super hero biz.
couldn't agree more!
#41 Posted by Dernman (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring back his spider-senses.

#42 Posted by frogjitsu (481 posts) - - Show Bio

In what issue did Spidey  ask Shang Chi for Kung Fu lessons?  I must have missed that one somewhere.  I thought I read all the Spidey issues.

#43 Posted by Quixotist (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey has no moves, no fighting style. But every hero can benefit from at least basic martial arts training. It's better to see him learning to fight proper than creating yet another device to help win a fight, only to fall out of use, or never be used again. It will increase his effectiveness now and if his Spider Sense gives him trouble and in the future. And once his Spider-Sense inevitably returns, he's bound to be even more effective as a fighter. This is a perfectly acceptable and even logical decision. How many other heroes have received training from Captain America? Iron Man and Hawkeye in particular come to mind.

Remember This?

I really don't see why anyone has a problem with this. The only way I see this backfiring is if he becomes some kind of Batman level expert in martial arts, as opposed to just being better equipped to defend himself whether he has powers or not. This is about Peter not relying on his Spider-Sense to protect him at all times, just as Iron Man needed to be able to defend himself without his suit, and Hawkeye without his bow. 

On a side note, I can't wait for the inevitable "I know Spider-Fu" quips to ensue lol
#44 Posted by NightFang (10057 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought Peter should learn hand-to-hand from Wolverine

#45 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

New abilities seem like a must for Spider-Man now

#46 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider Island is definitely the event comic I'm going to be really following.  I love all the throwbacks to Jackal and the Clone Saga (yes, despite it's controversy, the Clone Saga is still one of my fondest memories from reading comics as a kid), and I hope  that the changes that are made are significant. 

For me, Spider Island > Fear Itself.

#47 Posted by dokkoidah (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't we get reminded every few years how awesome Spider-Man can be if he decides to stop pulling his punches? Like versus Tony in the 'What if...' post Civil War. Or how he dismantled the Kravinoffs as another example.

#48 Posted by Sammo21 (694 posts) - - Show Bio

So I have been reading Spider-Man and I didn't realize he had lost his Spider Sense...

#49 Posted by bookerman20 (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about the rest of everyone.... 
Why does it seem like they're making Spider-Man weaker since Brand New Day???  I didn't like "The Other" storyline, but I did like the new powers that came along with it.  Bring those back!!!!!

#50 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

EVERYBODY SAYS KUNG FU FIGHTING!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.