Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Spider-Man and his New Amazing (?) Sidekick

• 138 results
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Strider92: Not likely. Spider-Man 700 is supposed to be so big, it affects the rest of the Marvel U. Introducing a character 8 issues before killing him means nothing. Nor does any Spider-Man supporting cast dying.

No no no, what's happening in 700 has to be HUGE. Big enough that it upsets the rest of Marvel as Dan Slott says. My bet? New York is going to blow up. Look at the solicits. Every hero is leaving NYC. Including Daredevil.

Avatar image for mp_simonwilliams
    MP_SimonWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MP_SimonWilliams

This storyline seems almost intentionally lame. I would trust that Dan Slott has something good planned for it. He's one of the best and he's not going to do some cliched, overdone thing such as kill Alpha within a few issues, or kill Peter and replace him with a sidekick (there's no way they kill Peter Parker off -- even temporarily -- in the main Marvel Universe. Not when they just had a major movie bringing in new readers). And funny, if they turn Alpha into a villain -- with that artwork and design --- he already looks like Syndrome from The Incredibles.

Also, sorry to even waste space on this, but.......

@Srsly_nerdy First of all --- there is nothing on earth more boring than someone on a website message board posting judgmental lectures on grammar. Secondly, and more importantly, if you're going to lecture the article writer on grammar errors and technical writing style......PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE......make sure that your own one-paragraph message (about proofreading, no less) is not absolutely littered with grammatical mistakes and spelling errors. Just so you're aware:

a) The word "proofread" is NOT two words

b) Spider-Man is two words with a hyphen between them (He's a man-spider. It's not his last name. He's not Peter Spiderman)

c) The word "sidekick" is NOT two words

d) Your second sentence is just a grammatical nightmare and an incomplete sentence

e) The word "especially" is not spelled "expecially"

f) The name Maguire has an "e" at the end of it

All those errors...contained in just a one-paragraph post. Now, very few people reading this thread actually care about whether or not the average board poster has some errors contained within his or her post -- but Great Gwen Stacy's Ghost, man -- you were acting like the grammar police. Methinks you should mind your own self, first and foremost. Ugh.

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

So, he's sort of like Ultra boy? Okay, it makes sense that getting all that power would go to his head at first, maybe he'll mellow out.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#54  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I think Spider-Man having a sidekick isn't a bad idea. I sometimes think that the problem with most comic book readers is that they are so used to the same old thing that they can't accept a little change now and then. Also, this is just the first part of the story. Comic book nerds do not have the right to judge so quickly and abrasively. If any of these jerks have learned anything from New Avengers #27, it's that Spider-Man can teach powerful youths from a new generation great responsiblility. So just wait until the story is done.

The_Grey_Queen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By The_Grey_Queen

3 words... WAY TOO CLICHE!!!!

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SeanFoster

I think it's pretty clear that Spider-Man will be fighting Alpha soon. Alpha is Peter Parker if he didn't have Uncle Ben and Aunt May to raise him right.

Avatar image for spiderman20991992
    spiderman20991992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This guy is really too lame for words, I hope he disappears very soon.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Dedpool

S[idey having a sidekick is a pretty cool idea. That said it should've just been SPider-Girl and they be partners as he doesnt want to see her get hurt or worse carrying on his legacy. This Alpha thing smacks of the responsibility that got away. If he doesn't go bad it'll be a shocker.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By ccraft

Im excited to see Spiderman have a side kick! Never expected it... but glad hes not another spiderman. I see them getting into a lot of arguments.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By doordoor123
    @Souche99 said:

This was the very first issue of Spider I buy. My knowledge of the character is limited to the movies and the animated series. I must say I really enjoyed this issue, I think it is a wonderful jumping point for me, and I will continue reading this book from now on.

I also started Hawkeye at #1 and Im looking for more Marvel titles. Do you guys have any suggestions for me, like in the Marvel NOW or something? I could afford 5 marvel series total so that leaves the spot for 3 new Marvel titles.

WOW comics are amazing guys I'm glad I entered that comic book store in my city a couple months ago!

Just get whatever you feel like. Nothing from Marvel Now has come out yet so no one can really recommend anything to you unless they like the creative team.  
    You should read some DC stuff though :D
    kartron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 38

#61  Edited By kartron

Alpha says Spiderman "as" sidekick?????
    I did not like the art... So cartoony - especially alpha!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Strider92 said:

This issue just reinforced my original thought that Parker is going to kill Alpha in 700.

Kill him? I doubt it, but my thoughts that something might happen to Aunt May are being more and more reinforced.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By InnerVenom123

We were supposed to hate Alpha. He's exactly what Peter was right after he got his powers, a stupid unreasonable prick.

He'll probably learn, soon enough.

rondinix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By rondinix

If Peter Parker is going to die and you're going to replace him with Alpha...I'll set your offices on fire using my whole collection as fuel. I'm not joking, this is not funny.

Kill Parker...i kill you xD.

EDIT: And i'll use all my Marvel movies Blu-rays as blades to cut your heads.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65  Edited By InnerVenom123

Lulz at everyone freaking the f**k out and missing the point of the actual story, though.

Bravo internet.

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By cuddles666

@MutieLover said:

@cuddles666: Robin is named after Robin Hood, hence the costume.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Surely both were known to Kane and Finger.

SkyWing2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SkyWing2121

Something is definitely going to go wrong. Think about it, a new young guy gains incredible ability's and becomes his own hero.For now Andy thinks its really cool that he could partner with some of the best heroes, but what if he starts to rebel against their order's? When he starts thinking his potential is not being allowed to shine? Hopefully Spider-man teaches him the the sames Morals, and Alpha is willing to make sacrifices and not hunger for glory. Just a thought.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By Trodorne

@Miss_Garrick said:

This is the big 50th anniversary prize? Spider-man having a sidekick? An "Amazing Friend?

Andy Maguire!?!? As in Andrew Garfield and Toby Maguire?!? This is beyond googleplex lame! This is lame squared! This is a lame tumor in my brain!!

Marvel just STOP! Just shut down everything, you're killing us comic readers with all this crap in all of your Spider-man/ Avengers/ X-men comics!

Yeah I know but it won't happen. just stop reading the titles all together, let sales drop and then they have to change their way of thinking. hit them where it hurts the most. the wallet.

@saoakden: @Necrotic_Lycanthrope: @sintzu: @hyenascar:

Now here is the logical thing that spider-man would have to do in order to mentor this kid. Now mind you Marvel will in no way ever use logic in terms of story telling but here goes.

Spider-man at the point of taking this kid under his wing would show him how to do the same things he does. But where he should have done was bring Alpha to the big boss fight, only just to end it faster. Later on he would take Andy around and just talk to him about his experiences being a hero and how it all affected him in the long run. Tell him of things what to expect and really lay on the case that every action has a positive and negative reaction.

This especially with his friends and or girlfriends. Andy Maguire has an exposed identity, which means his family and friends can make for real easy targets or can be used as leverage against Andy to make him do what ever the villain wants. because innocents come first.

If anything the logical thing that may happen is that Spider-man manages to save Andy from someones control and Andy will give up being alpha for a while till he can stop feeling bad about being evil and trying to kill people.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By danhimself

they're not going to kill off Spider-man...good grief people...ASM is one of Marvel's best selling titles...the only reason they would ever consider doing a Death of Spider-man is if they were desperately trying to boost sales on the title

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ARMIV2

...I think he is going to die...don't know why I think that.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By zombietag

this story was sooo quick. but decent. slott has been better

allfornot2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By allfornot2

I kinda like this Kid. I don't know if I want it to be permanent, but a story arc or two with him at Spidey's side would be fine. However I don't see this ending any other way than with Alpha or Spidey's death.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I haven't had a chance to read the article, or comic, yet so I don't know if anything I will say has been addressed. But I think this could be really cool. A really fun idea at the very least. Spider-Man expanding his family with a sidekick. And maybe some years down the line this new kid could get his own title and maybe become his own character separate from Spider-Man, like how Tim Drake did or how Dick Grayson did, or even how Jason Todd did. I think it would be fun to see his become like Marvel's Robin.

SpideyFan113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SpideyFan113

I am crossing my fingers and hoping, that the big change in #700 is Spidey being forced to kill this kid. The only other rumor is if Alpha replaces Spider-man, and I swear Marvel will definitely pay the price for their idiocy if they do that. Cuz so far, I don't like this kid, calling Spider-man his "sidekick". Ugh, Spidey please kill him.

I don't even get why the hell Marvel erased his marriage for "younger viewers" in the first place. Spider-man has won over millions of fans in the years he was married to MJ, and one them was me. I even know an 11 year old kid at the time of One More Day, who read Spider-man comics and he asked me, "Why did Spider-man make a deal with the devil?" I replied, "I dunno. Marvel's just stupid." boy was I correct on that one. Marvel is actually making it worse for themselves and for Spidey by trying to "fix" things.

lukin42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lukin42

Ahh, comic book nerds complaining about changes. That's the kind of thing that never gets old.

SpideyFan113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SpideyFan113

@Ramier: I really hope you're right. At this point, we'll know Dan Slott's TRUE impact on the comic book after #700. Cuz even though we might all hate the character now, Dan's says EVERYTHING is leading to 700. I hope Alpha's death is either the finish line, or in the destination if you know what I mean.

Lord_Sidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Lord_Sidious

I smell a Jason Todd coming.

chaloy82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By chaloy82

What i find interesting about all this is that it`s not your classic hero-sidekick duo, for example if Miles Morales would of been spidey`s sidekick then it would fall in to the classic mold.With alpha there is no thematic relation between hero and sidekick and honestly i find that really cool and refreshing. I also like the fact that this sidekick can really out due his mentor in the future , and i hope they don`t make alpha into a villain and instead he becomes a Marvel great, guided by one Marvel`s greatest good old Mr. Parker.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By moywar700

he's gonna die at issue 700.

called it

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#80  Edited By Darkmount1

Coming up with a stunt plot move to celebrate Spidey's 50th anniversary and try to goose sales and appeal to younger readers? Nothing new, nothing worth caring about. So people, heed my words:

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LordRequiem

Seems like a pathetic child, what how unsurprisingly boring. Maybe he could turn evil, go into the time stream and come back more aged and be a major villain for Webs, that's a better idea that stringing the whole sidekick thing on for too long.

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#82  Edited By Maki_P

Spider-man looks old for having a sidekick...... Oh Yeah!!! He can be married again!

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By Icon

@cuddles666 said:

Alpha is such a generic name. God forbid Spider-Man have a bug or insect-themed sidekick for consistency (spiders may not be insects, but they're the same size, so same diff, right?). Batman and Robin are both named after things that fly and though diverse in their superheroic identities, share a common link with the wing motif. Spidey and Alpha? Sounds like a crap fanfiction.

Exactly. I know Marvel and stupidity kind of go hand in hand, but this is just lazy and pathetic.

Lorialet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Lorialet

I kinda like the idea of Spidey mentoring a young superhuman, that's a good way to show the character maturing, but in the facts, I really don't like the execution so far. I know it's only been one issue, but Alpha is a really unpleasant character, and Peter doesn't really seem to know what he's doing at all, and spends all his time being scolded by Reed Ridchards, as if he was the sidekick.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By feargalr

I like the idea of Spidey getting a side-kick, shows a bit of growth. But I'm not crazy about him being like the most powerful thing since sliced bread, or him being this big public figure ya know. Like aside from teaching him great power and responsibility there doesn't seem to be much else that spider-man can teach him :/

In fact what would have been awesome was if Miles Morales was like a teenager in 616 and he became Spideys side-kick. Maybe with Spider powers, maybe something similar. That seems like a really missed opportunity.

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By shackle

Wow. This thread, in a nutshell, is why comics fans are the whiniest b!tches to sully the face of the Earth.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By Zomboid

I can only see this ending in a Jason Todd-esque scenario. If they weren't planning on making this sidekick turn rogue, I don't understand why they'd make such a lame pairing. The kid's abilities are generic and boring, and a name like Alpha, really? Heroes and sidekicks should go hand-in-hand and be able to compliment each other, and I just don't see how this relationship can prosper very well. Maybe he'll die, maybe he won't, but I predict he'll turn rogue and be a huge threat for Spidey, especially if he learns some of his secrets.

GaryTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By GaryTitan

@InnerVenom123 said:

Lulz at everyone freaking the f**k out and missing the point of the actual story, though.

Bravo internet.

GaryTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By GaryTitan

Why do people want a kid to die? You people are sick.

jaredbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jaredbright

That's like Batman being reduced to a younger guy whose mentally a teenager... THEN getting a Robin sidekick. What?!!

Narok24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Narok24

Am I the only one that thinks he had to grow up sometime? Why shouldn't he be able to step up to the next tier of superheroes? He's been around longer than a lot of heroes that "outrank" him, if you will. I don't see why Spidey getting a few more responsibilities and growing up a little after 50 years of being a teenager is a bad thing.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@sintzu: Nope. The stupid's been accumulating before Disney bought Marvel.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Master_Thief

@Sidious said:

I smell a Jason Todd coming.

The smell must be strong

sintzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By sintzu

@danhimself said:

they're not going to kill off Spider-man...good grief people...ASM is one of Marvel's best selling titles...the only reason they would ever consider doing a Death of Spider-man is if they were desperately trying to boost sales on the title

ultimate was one of marvels best selling and that didnt stop theme from killing peter

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#95  Edited By RedOwl_1

@ARMIV2 said:

...I think he is going to die...don't know why I think that.

I was thinking on him exploding for too much power/energy/whateverhehas.......... It's just a feeling

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#96  Edited By DATNIGGA

@sintzu: I hope he gets kicked around alot after all hard times help people develop as a hero's.. tbh most of the current hero's would be the same as Alpha had they not learned responsibly & been through tough times

I dunno I try to be positive about things lol cause there is more than one way to look at things

7DEADPOOL7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By 7DEADPOOL7

@noj: I have the exact same fears I really dont even like alpha he better not replace spider-man or else i will have a bone to pick with them and there is no way they will be that stupid. Then again there was the clone saga.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#98  Edited By Deadcool

I hate this... I mean, WHY?!!

Spider-man was created as the first teenager superhero, just because Stan Lee hates sidekicks, and I hate them too, so WHY THE HELL "THIS" HAPPENED?

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By gavinification

Hes going to become a villain.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@Trodorne:

It just sounds like a formula already done before with other heroes. For once I wish Spidey, the most unique of the original Stan creations (IMO), would break the mold and do something completely out of the box of any hero we see in mainstream comics (outside of turning villain of course. Although he did become villainous-ish when the symbiote first appeared).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.