Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Is Spider-Man Building Too Many Gadgets?

• 191 results
    Avatar image for cloneofbenreilly
    CloneOfBenReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No one can argue that Pete isn't smart. And now that he's working at Horizon he has all the time and resources he needs to create all kinds of gadgets. To the current story it makes sense. But...

We already have a nearly infinite number of geniuses/inventors that can hand over the gadget solution-of-the-day. Do we need spidey to the be one of those guys. He has the capability to do this when required, but his main method of victory should always be telling jokes while performing acrobatics.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

I@DocFatalis: I would like to see a spidey-mobile a newer model with retractable legs

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Miss_Garrick

Where's he getting the money for this?

This is ridiculous, I have never been convinced Peter was smart enough to make all these gadgets, let alone his web stuff. If he was really this smart, He should go work at Cal Tech or MIT and get nice paychecks.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I think I'm right along with everyone, different writers, focus what aspects they want to, plus a gadget, is a quick way to end a fight, as seen in the Hydro man scan , u have try to balance the tech with the powers

I laugh when I saw he had a little belt for his camera

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By termiteone4ever

He might as well . His kick punch web throw cant always work his villains are smart

Avatar image for jorgebeatsemile
    jorgebeatsemile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106  Edited By jorgebeatsemile

@Herx: great idea, I like it

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mewmdude77 said:

I like the gadgets, they show how smart he actually is when he has the right materials. If he keeps going, he could be as smart as Stark. the gadgets he uses always are very much needed, cause he's usually weaker than the enemies he fights. He's not turning into Batman, he's not a rich playboy who uses sidekicks, or has a fancy cave or mansion. He's still the underdog, the lonely, super smart young guy who struggles to get by, and he fights all sorts of people, but always keeps his responsibility.

I agree. And his gadgets tend to not be overpowered, just giving him an edge in certain ways. Honestly, this seems like a natural progression. Different spiders have different abilities, and this seems an interesting way for him to develop.

Avatar image for virginiaforniquer
    virginiaforniquer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frankly I'm surprised he didn't start doing this earlier. I think it's a pretty reasonable evolution in the character. The "never needed it before" mentality is what gets heroes killed. If they don't adapt and evolve then eventually they're going to get smushed.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Miss_Garrick said:

Where's he getting the money for this?

Horizon Labs.

@Miss_Garrick said:

This is ridiculous, I have never been convinced Peter was smart enough to make all these gadgets.

Why? He's made tons of weird stuff before. The most famous example being his webshooters.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

There's a time when Spidey needs his gadgets in order to fight powerful enemies.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By Icon

The problem is that Dan Slott wanted to show how smart Peter Parker is and for him to excel AS Peter Parker (not just as Spidey) by giving him his dream job so he could help humanity, and in the process came up with a completely contrived solution. Peter doesn't really invent technologies that would help humanity anyway, he just uses his job at Horizon Labs to create gadgets he can use as Spidey to fight villains.

Slott thinks Peter Parker is taking responsibility for himself when really Slott just gave him this dream job out of nowhere, not having had to earn it at all, and it perfectly fixes any and all problems he had. For instance, where can he stash his Spidey gear where no one will notice? Oh, in his lab that only he has access to. Where will he get advanced tech he isn't rich enough to acquire? Why, Horizon Labs of course. Does it pay well? Yep, no more money problems, and he doesn't even have to show what he is working on because they will pay him regardless. No need to worry about work hours either. He can come and go as he pleases, make his own hours, and not have a supervisor ever looking over his shoulder. New villain has new tricks? No problem, he'll just go to his lab and whip up a new armor.

Seriously, it's all so contrived and convenient. He has become more Iron Man/Batman than Spidey in that regard.

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By PikminMania

You know I told everyone that SPider-man was turning into a stupid batman/ironman rip off, but no one believed me...

Anyways, I give him gadgets when you can give him an ability he had since the beginning but was dropped, the ability to make objects like hammers using his webs.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By chalkshark

As far as the toy companies are concerned, Spider-Man can never have too many gadgets, alternate costumes, suits of armor, or accessories.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its about time he started using his intelligence more.

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Azrael66

I've been thinking this myself. The Spider-Man I know and love is the classical friendly neighbourhood web-slinger. He used wits, agility, and webbing to take out his foes. I don't like the new Batman Parker.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#116  Edited By Deadcool

@RainEffect said:

Uhhh.... Batman goes up against people who can destroy an entire planet, on a regular basis.

The entire planet?!!! Kidding right? Well, Spider-man has villains that can destroy the city, and the event "The end of the World" is the reason he needs all those gadgets, his villains are more powerful than ever, he needs that power.

@sethysquare said:

Dan Slott is ruining Spiderman.

I think that is quite the opposite...

cracker_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By cracker_jack

He should just change his name to Spider-Bat.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If anything, Spider-Island showed that relying on powers alone was not good for Peter to always win the day, and only when he started learning combat did he kinda gain back his edge. Lord, even as I write this I am humming "Eye of the Tiger". Truth of the matter is, I think we are just in a phase with Peter using more intellect and more technological savvy. There's nothing wrong with it unless he becomes too reliant upon it. Personally for me, I've always been a lover of technology so I say Peter should go for it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Icon said:

Peter doesn't really invent technologies that would help humanity anyway,

ASM 682 disproves this. His inventions do help the general public. The ice generator turned storage unit he made to defeat Hydro-Man helped save a fireman's foot after it was broken off, the armor turned bike helmets have saved lives, etc.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#120  Edited By RedOwl_1

I know Peter is clever but too many gadgets make me feel uncomfortable, we already have many gadget-guys

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#121  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

I think his new suits are an improvement, I mean the villains are getting better, why can't he. Oh but the glider thing sucks.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Icon

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Icon said:

ASM 682 disproves this. His inventions do help the general public. The ice generator turned storage unit he made to defeat Hydro-Man helped save a fireman's foot after it was broken off, the armor turned bike helmets have saved lives, etc.

He is creating tech to use as Spider-Man (and lucky him that the Horizon Labs gig just fell into his lap for that) and afterwards if he can find another purpose/application for them that suits some other need then so be it, but those were not the original applications for the technology.

Of course Slott will show that oh yes this tech can help here or there, but the main reason he has this job (from a story a point of view) is so that Spidey can create tech to battle his foes. The fact that Horizon Labs solves every problem for him is just too contrived, which was my original point.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Icon said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Icon said:

He is creating tech to use as Spider-Man (and lucky him that the Horizon Labs gig just fell into his lap for that) and afterwards if he can find another purpose/application for them that suits some other need then so be it, but those were not the original applications for the technology.

Of course Slott will show that oh yes this tech can help here or there, but the main reason he has this job (from a story a point of view) is so that Spidey can create tech to battle his foes. The fact that Horizon Labs solves every problem for him is just too contrived, which was my original point.

To be fair, his job at Horizon has also stuck him in some bad spots. His fight with Morbius, being stranded on the space station with Johnny, dealing with Hobgoblin's surprise attack, and managing other mishaps that are the fault of the employees and no one else (such as the vibranium meltdown and the time travel mishap).

Druid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Druid

I think it's about time Spiderman got his sh*t together.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By DocFatalis

One thing is for sure, gadgets or not, I'd have a beer or twelve with Peter Parker any day. Hell, trying the glider might even be fun after that.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By KidSupreme

you can never have to many gadgets... lol

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#127  Edited By iaconpoint

@darkrider said:

@Deadcool: yes but batman has a cave spiderman have an apartment

I thought Spider-Man had an Avenger's mansion now?

sergyanime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By sergyanime

I like peter like this I feel like this is where he evolved and where he needs to be as a character. We don't need heroes to be exactly the same forever.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#129  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Interesting, it's right in our face the whole time but I never really took a moment to think about this. I guess Spider-Man using his brains and tech was always considered a heavy part of the character to me. Acid webbing to take down Rhino, a device to disrupt Vulture's suit, luring Lizard into the cold, so on and so on. So when Parker busted into the page with a glider, I didn't even do a double take. Shame on me! But honestly, I'm happy to see Parker has finally hit it "big time." He's almost always been down on his luck, so it's nice to see he's finally financially stable and has the means to create anything and everything his brain comes up with. I'm thrilled to see this upgraded armor version of Pete take on the Sinister Six (especially since it'll be fun to use in the battles forum!). It'll be a blast to see what he'll deploy to counter each of his enemies, however, I do fear that this could take away the challenge of his threats in the long-run. I guess we should be happy he doesn't have a "Spidey belt" where he can pack a counter for every enemy.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#130  Edited By SpidermanWins

@sergyanime said:

I like peter like this I feel like this is where he evolved and where he needs to be as a character. We don't need heroes to be exactly the same forever.

yes

@KidSupreme said:

and yes

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#131  Edited By Deadcool

@iaconpoint said:

@darkrider said:

@Deadcool: yes but batman has a cave spiderman have an apartment

I thought Spider-Man had an Avenger's mansion now?

He is an Avenger, he is a member of FF and he works for Horizon Labs.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By evilvegeta74

I think somebody has been playing Spiderman-Edge of Time and that Shattered whatever game and incorporating the bonus suits into the comics or merging some of them!

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By King Quisling

No.

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By xkoenig

Sigh. Quit freaking out! I'm enjoying the fun of this Slott run, and he's clearly decided that Spidey is going to get all techy and make us of his science expertise like he hasn't really done before.

Siafon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Siafon

I for one am actually glad that Marvel is finally using Pete's smarts. I got into  an argument about this very same thing with someone here on the Vine. I was saying that Peter is a genius, and Marvel's scales back it up, and the other person was saying prove it. Except for a couple of scans I found were Reed Richards, and Tony Stark talked about how smart Parker is was all I had to show. So it's good that he is finally showing his intellect in a capacity where it helps Spiderman. I don't want him to become relient on these gadgets also.
    KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By KidSupreme

@SpidermanWins said:

@sergyanime said:

yes

@KidSupreme said:

and yes:)

glad you agree :)

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#137  Edited By SoA

i see parker as the DC equivalent of ted kord, without spider powers he preety much is blue beetle so why not build more n more gadgets, plus seeing a parker tech or parker industries (or a stark-parker partnership ) in the future seems kinda cool

savri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By savri

YES HE IS!!!! That was the reason why Iron Man stayed around in the 80's, if other heroes have the brains like Stark, then the original Stark will disappear.

While (in the 80's);

Stark is a drunk, but a rich one at that. Peter is a student that fights crime on the side, with a girlfriend on his side.

Today;

Stark is a drunk, but a rich one at that. Peter seemed to have won the lotto, that fights crime, has a confusing story to tell about which girl is his girlfriend, and now he is taking ideas from his past enemy's. I like Stark's life much better, Spidey (today) is H.A.D.D.

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#139  Edited By Radread

I like the new costumes and gadgets. Even during the Lee and Ditko age, Peter was trying to redo his web shooters for a variety of reasons. It wasn't until Erik Larson when the suits and gadgets really started popping up. Plus, at this point, the new suits for special occasions work. Truth be told, I like to see Spider-man battle the new Hobgoblin on the spider glider and when Norman is finally released from Avengers and becomes the Green Goblin again.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meteorite said:

The problem is that he's been inventing too many gadgets too fast

- This hits the nail on the head

- Spider-Man has only recently started to work at Horizon Labs and he is pumping out new tech at an incredible pace. No matter how smart you are it takes time to prototype and test before using things in the field.

- If I were Peter I would be more worried about how easy it would be to link the new equipment to him.

HeavyDuty32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By HeavyDuty32

How long til he make Spidey-Shark Repellant?

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By avidwriter

So he wants to be more like Batman?

vicioushero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By vicioushero

@HeavyDuty32 said:

How long til he make Spidey-Shark Repellant?

Never this.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#144  Edited By Teerack

I  think the gadgets are needed for spider-man to keep going. Otherwise it just be the same shit over and over.

Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm digging it so far. The one obvious difference between Spidey's gadgets and Iron Man's or Batman's is that if his awesome new suits are smashed up too badly or lost he can't replace them. He's not independently wealthy so the shiny new toys he makes have to be justified as working on a new invention. That keeps his inventory from getting too deep and if any of his inventions become a crutch that take away from the story the writer can just take them away.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#146  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

One thing many writers seem to forget a lot when writing Spider-Man is to remind people that Peter is a genius. I think the fact that writers try to play him as the character that "anyone" can relate to with all of his personal day-to-day issues like with his job, family, friends, love life, etc. that they forget that he's up there in terms of brain power with the likes of Reed Richards, Hank Pym, and Tony Stark. That's one of the little details most origins in cartoons and in the original movie trilogy neglected in the fact that before he was bitten and given spider-powers, he was a really smart kid and, if not for becoming Spider-Man, would most likely have become an inventor of shorts or some kind of scientist.

That's one of the reasons I love Spidey having web-shooters instead of the organic webbing. It's the easiest way to show that underneath the mask there's a genius level intellect and is honestly the main reason Spidey has been able to beat his villains before, even the likes of Doc Ock and Norman Osborn, because he was able to think up a plan on the spot.

I personally love how he's using so many gadgets, and I could actually see him becoming "too" dependent on them turning into a interesting storyline in the future if they choose to go that route. But I do love how Peter's taken advantage of his new job and is now planning ahead on how to take down his villains quicker and with less effort. It's a great way to show of his big brain and to be honest brings a new feel to Spider-Man's world.

Regas13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Regas13

with technology growing, spidey should adapt, and thats what he's doing.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By sethysquare

@cracker_jack said:

He should just change his name to Spider-Bat.

co-signed.

@Deadcool said:

@sethysquare said:

Dan Slott is ruining Spiderman.

I think that is quite the opposite...

agree to disagree then.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By sethysquare

@avidwriter said:

So he wants to be more like Batman?

That is correct.

cracker_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By cracker_jack

Does he have a spider-mobile and a 10 yr old sidekick yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.