Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Flash Thompson Fights Spider-Man as Venom

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

By now people should be aware that the Venom symbiote suite has a new host. After spending some time with Mac Gargan, the suit has been ripped away and is in government custody. Deciding to use the suit as part of a new type of super-soldier program, Flash Thompson became the bearer of the suit. He's had training and has gone on some missions, all the while, doing his best to maintain control over the suit.

Because of the savage nature of the symbiote, Flash has experienced moments where his anger or excitement has increased the suit's longing for dominance. His time wearing the suit is to be closely monitored and limited but after an extended mission in the Savage Land and a tussle with Kraven the Hunter, Flash may have gone past the point of no return with the suit. To make matters worse, Flash's girlfriend, Betty Brant, has been kidnapped by an enemy that discovered his identity and while trying to save her from a giant bomb, he is forced into a confrontation with Spider-Man.

No Caption Provided

Because the symbiote hates Spider-Man so much and Flash is his biggest fan, what will happen when they all face each other?

== TEASER ==

Flash is going to have his hands full. Besides trying to convince Spider-Man he needs to save Betty, the suit is getting further and further out of his control. He is risking a complete bonding each time the suit loses control. There's also the fact that those overseeing his missions have the power to permanently neutralize both him and the symbiote.

No Caption Provided

When the suit tried bonding with Spider-Man and he rejected it, it felt complete rejection. In the moment when Spider-Man stood in a church bell tower so the loud noise would drive the suit away and passed out himself, the suit returned and risked its life in order to save Peter. Since then, the suit has shown extreme hatred towards Spider-Man. Joining with Eddie Brock, the two bonded and knowing Spider-Man's secrets, were a deadly combination. Mac Gargan found out who Spider-Man was courtesy of Norman Osborn but soon had the revelation wiped from his memory.

When Spider-Man and Venom clash now, how much of the past between the suit and Spidey will come out? It would make sense that the suit would lose some control in the proximity of Spider-Man. Will this cause Flash to become aware of his identity? How will Flash's feelings towards Spider-Man affect the suit's reactions? What we should have is a fight between Spider-Man and Venom as well as a fight between Flash and Venom.

Will there be a clear cut end to the battle? Probably not. But this is what I would expect to happen. The combination of Flash's adoration for Spider-Man combined with the suit's hatred should cause havoc as the two try to obtain control. Flash most likely will not discover Spider-Man's identity at this point and it would be unfortunate if Spider-Man discovered it was now Flash wearing the symbiote. Unless Flash's tenure as Venom really is as limited as Dan Slott and Rick Remender have lead us to believe (he can only go on twenty missions wearing the suit), it's too early for Spider-Man to discover the truth.

No Caption Provided

Either way, I expect an extremely chaotic and brutal battle between Venom and Spider-Man. Hopefully we will get that.

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By perry_411

That bomb gimmick thing is either already done or Flash dies next issue. They pressed the button.

insanepayne6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By insanepayne6

first, and the fight should be good 

MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrSeaman70

Venom above seems to talk like the Hulk...
    I wonder...  If the Hulk had the Venom symbiote, that'd take fun to a whole new level :D

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By perry_411
    @MrSeaman70: Wouldn't the gamma radiation prevent a joining?
    MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrSeaman70

Who knows, Venom might have some tricks up its sleeve to ensure a perfect joining ;)
    Avatar image for xcaptainxawesomex
    XCaptainXAwesomeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By XCaptainXAwesomeX

flash will leave the symbiote

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hitechlolife

I'm just happy to have a serious Venom back. Mac always seemed to just be played for laughs.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Decept-O

OK, not much of a Venom fan but this is actually a great idea and something that would prompt me to actually check out Spider-Man after a very long absence from reading any Spidey titles. 

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xblah_blahx

Looks interesting.  

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By ninjadude853

I have never paid attention to mainstream Spider-Man. Except during that List stuff during Dark Reign. But this is actually making me interested enough to check it out.

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dorsk188
    Wait, why is Venom talking like that little naked guy from lord of the rings? 
    Wait, if Flash has the symbiote, then why doesn't he know Peter is actually Spider-Man? 
    Wait...  Betty is dating Flash?  That's just stupid... 

After ruining Spider-Man as a character, I guess Marvel has turned their sights on his classic support cast...  I hate you Marvel editorial staff.  I hate you so much.
    fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fitchy101
    @insanepayne6 said:
    first, and the fight should be good 
    You meant to say second, right?
    ddaann1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By ddaann1985

nice :)

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I love flash as venom...
    DKing_CiCADA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DKing_CiCADA

They should fight at the highschool =)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @dorsk188 said:

Wait, why is Venom talking like that little naked guy from lord of the rings? 
    Wait, if Flash has the symbiote, then why doesn't he know Peter is actually Spider-Man? 
    Wait...  Betty is dating Flash?  That's just stupid... 

After ruining Spider-Man as a character, I guess Marvel has turned their sights on his classic support cast...  I hate you Marvel editorial staff.  I hate you so much.

1. It's an alien. Forgive it for not having english as its first language.
    2. The OMIT mindwipe got rid of everyone's knowledge of Spidey's secret identity, with a few exceptions. The symbiote isn't one of them.
    @perry_411 said:
    That bomb gimmick thing is either already done or Flash dies next issue. They pressed the button.
    Look up the Venom #4 preview. They show what happens to the bomb. 
    radar5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By radar5

@MrSeaman70: +1, they need a "fear itself" arc where everyone gets a Venom suit!

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Rowen545

It's gotta make you wonder how the Flash/Spidey relationship had gone without OMIT. What if Flash had found out from the symbiote who Spidey really was. Oh well still love Flash as Venom.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dedpool

Venom Vs Anti-Venom is gonna be even crazier!
    SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By SpidermanWins

This is gonna be a very intense and conflicting battle. One side of him will want to kill him and the other will try to resist. If he figures out its his friend Peter what would happen? I'm very excited about this.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Best Bully Fight Ever!!!!!
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hizang

I quite like the idea of Flash/Venom, both prior Venoms had darker sides and neither liked Spider-Man. Flash actully liked Spider-Man, this will be interesting.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Looks like a step back towards a more Venom like Venom than I've seen in awhile which is a good thing.

Avatar image for transgressionsofsociety
    TransgressionsofSociety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what happened to that other look?

sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

#26  Edited By sithfrog
    @hitechlolife said:

I'm just happy to have a serious Venom back. Mac always seemed to just be played for laughs.

Was that in the Spidey books?  In Thunderbolts, he was the one you really had to watch out for because Mac didn't have the bond that Eddie did and so Venom would occasionally let loose and dismember and/or eat people. 
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Icon

I'm loving Flash with Venom. Brilliant idea. Can't wait to see how Flash/Venom react to Spidey in future fights now. :D

Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Xaviersx

Stupid stupid govt. Just have one of the space faring heroes return that thing to Bed Bath and Beyonder like they should have done long ago.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ProjektGill

I hope Flash stays as Venom and gets it under control. 

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Mucklefluga

So what happened to that other test subject??
    perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By perry_411
    @InnerVenom123: Where can I find the preview?
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @perry_411: http://www.thevenomsite.com/
    Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Golden Cod
    @radar5 said:

@MrSeaman70: +1, they need a "fear itself" arc where everyone gets a Venom suit!

There was a short story arc prior to Dark Reign when some villain's old satellite loaded with symbiote spores lands in NYC.   Both the New Avengers and Mighty Avengers were involved.   I believe Spidey asks another Avenger to pinch him and prove that it's not a lucid dream.
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By labarith

All I can say about this is that I sincerely hope they RAMP UP the Venom/Carnage healing factor, as to give Flash new legs, and to give Kletus a sleak, non-cyborg look. 

The bloodstone worked for the Punisher, and while I can see wheel-chair-bound Flash as an interesting character, I also realize that Marvel hasn't been doing jack squat with the character post-leglessness.  So either they want him legless or they don't. 

I sincerely think that after a "full bonding", the government might say "Fine... keep it, but if you turn we'll blow you up"... and at that point we might see new legs grow.  (Dealing with cyborg carnage during the upcoming mini seems like a bad idea too...).  How will Flash handle this with Betty/Peter - the having new legs?  Probably as well as he's handled being a super secret agent.  But it's the personal life that I think is what makes this Venom more like Spiderman and less like Eddie Brock/etc.

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By sa5m

I like these 2 =)

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

sweet fight bully vs nerd  good times

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheHT

Flash is going to have his hands full. Besides trying to convince Spider-Man he needs to save Betty, the suit is getting further and further out of his control. He is risking a complete bonding each time the suit loses control. There's also the fact that those overseeing his missions have the power to permanently neutralize both him and the symbiote.

I... I need to read this series.
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Grubich

at least the classic alien eddie eyes are back. now if we cud just tweak the venom symbol...

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dorsk188
     @InnerVenom123 said:

@dorsk188 said: 

The OMIT mindwipe got rid of everyone's knowledge of Spidey's secret identity, with a few exceptions. The symbiote isn't one of them.
    So the symbiote doesn't remember Spider-Man is Peter Parker, but it does remember bonding with him then being rejected which is what fostered its hatred.  I understand that the symbiote's not necessarily as conscious as a normal human, but I would find that to be odd.  "I hate this guy because he rejected me, but I can't remember who he is exactly..." 

Does Venom still not set off his Spider-Sense?  It would be a little odd that the symbiote doesn't register as a threat to Peter because it's sort of part of his body, but also that the symbiote doesn't know him from Adam.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Venom is  becoming like Lex Luthor now..i'm sorta tired of hearing about him

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @dorsk188 said:
     @InnerVenom123 said:

@dorsk188 said: 

The OMIT mindwipe got rid of everyone's knowledge of Spidey's secret identity, with a few exceptions. The symbiote isn't one of them.
    So the symbiote doesn't remember Spider-Man is Peter Parker, but he does remember bonding with him then being rejected which is what fostered its hatred.  I understand that the symbiote's not necessarily as methodical a thinker as a normal human, but I would find that to be odd.  "I hate this guy because he rejected me, but I can't remember who he is exactly..."  Does Venom still not set off his Spider-Sense?  It would be a little odd that the symbiote doesn't register as a threat to Peter because he's sort of part of his body, but also that the symbiote doesn't know him from Adam.
    It hates Spider-man for rejecting it, but it doesn't know who Spider-man is. They haven't given much information on how the symbiote feels lately, and for good reason, because it's just complicated (a worthy note: Kaine remembered due to being a clone, so who knows at this point). I don't really let OMIT/OMD get to me, I just enjoy the stories. If symby doesn't remember, fine. He has plenty of reasons to hate Spider-man anyway (being rejected more than once, the various defeats, ETC). 
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#42  Edited By EganTheVile1

I remember in the first collected volume or Ultimate Spider-Man, a creator mentioned his kid thought Flash Thompson should be Ultimate Venom, and now here we are with 616 Venom as Flash.... Coincidence?  
    I thought it would be a good idea in Ultimate, I however have and continue to think the idea of Flash as Venom is a bad idea with the intention of making him a villain.

STORM143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By STORM143

nice..... its my firdt time here..... can any one show me how to change prfile picture?

Matthevv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Matthevv

Oh my goodness, what a completely unexpected and new series of events! I wonder if Spider man will die, unable to resist his arch-nemesis Venom? Will they be able to deactivate the bomb on time? Stay tuned true believers!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Always have liked Venom, but much more of an Eddie Brock fan myself...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.