Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Does the New Ultimate Spider-Man's Race Matter?

Seabats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By Seabats

The race issue has come up in comics many times, this and recently 
    a Muslim Batman being appointed by Bats in France. Its good to see characters 
    re-invented ( if done well ), it draws new readers and makes you remember 
    why you love the character...I am curious about this series now...

Chick101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252  Edited By Chick101

As a black girl (who is half white/ half black) here is my perspective:

I think Marvel isn't doing this so much for PC purposes but more as a result of them wanting to probably try get more people to buy the comic book. Doing controversial things tend to rake in the money. And lets face it, this is probably as controversial as you can get in the comic world because America isn't even close to putting racism in the past.

I think that I would have preferred Marvel to just make an entirely new black character (and female at that) and try to popularize it rather  than just replace a previous character. To me, replacing Peter Parker is sort of a cop out because you know it won't be permanent. The main Marvel reality will still be Peter Parker and Miles Morales probably won't ever be known beyond this comic book and most definitely will never be seen in any film or animated tv show. 

It just seems like such a waste. I want a permanent character and not a temporary one. Why couldn't they just do something along the lines of Batman Beyond? 

Like i said before, this reeks of Marvel trying to find any way they can to get people to buy their comics.

Avatar image for quiksilver70777
    quiksilver70777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By quiksilver70777

Race doesn't matter when a super hero of character is first created, but I hated when they change a characters race after its been created for example Nick Fury or Perry White in the new Superman film.

Kunu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#254  Edited By Kunu

It doesn't matter whatsoever. As long as they don't favor him over Peter Parker. His character still lives on! The real Spiderman has to stay intact. 

timetostart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By timetostart

not really a problem here. All we're gonna have is another Thunderstrike story. Peter Parker will come back from the dead with no reason whatsoever as to how he came back and take back his mantle as Spider-Man. Then Miles will become someone like the Arachnid or whatever

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#256  Edited By Static Shock

@crmidnight: Check your PMs.

Dirty__1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#257  Edited By Dirty__1

You just have to remember it's the Ultimate U first of all NOTHING is how it should be. Anytime you change a race/gender of a character it takes awhile to adjust. I think it's easier for newer readers than those who followed for yrs and yrs. As long as they stay true to the character and don't try to actually replace the original I think it works. Peter will eventually come back some how in the next yr or so anyway.

I wish I would have kept with Ult. Spidey after Ultimatum. I just started to lose interest after awhile. I'm tempted to go back and grab some trades and catch up to the "Death of Spider-Man"

Chick101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Chick101
    @Dirty__1
    That reminds me of what a friend once said, "comic books are like soaps in that nothing is ever permanent and can always be explained away later."
    cloak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#259  Edited By cloak
    @Skaddix said:
    What are u talking about Crow? He is still American.
    Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Jamiracles

Whats funny is that people dont realize that because this is perceived as gimmicky is particularly the reason its so important that decisions like this be made. And with the buzz of the new movie surrounding Spider-Man, the timing could not be better.

livingsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By livingsilver
    @Teerack: Well, from the preview panels, it now it looks like he will be a nerdy black-Hispanic kid from Queens.
    livingsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By livingsilver

There are like.. what... 5 or 6 comics/issues released every month in the 616 that feature Peter Parker? People who have a problem with a multi-racial Spider-man can go buy one of those books. 
    I mean, Ultimate Spider-man isn't even the real Spider-man!!!  If people are truly bothered by Miles Morales, then that just illustrates their bigotry. This is an alternate universe we're talking about here folks. :/

Avatar image for apocalypsenation
    ApocalypseNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea a Puerto Rican Superhero!!!!!
    cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#264  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

Well written article. As for the character...I haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man in years, but hopefully it works out.

SuperAquaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By SuperAquaMan
    @THEBlaqueBasterd said:
    I for one LOVE when they do stuff like this... It reminds Me what an ignorant/devisive/racist world we STILL live in... &TBBH ComicVine shouldnt even DRAW ATTENTION to the race of the CHARACTER... But to the CHARACTER of the Hero..  But hey.. Thatd be toomuch to ask for in the world we live in wouldnt it?

every person in the world isnt racist its just a shock. how would black people feel if the new luke cage was white its just a shock 
    budonkadonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By budonkadonk

I don't care about who it is...  I'm just wondering how this will be accepted by the superhero community and those close to Peter. 

I mentioned this elsewhere, but, was Peter even Spider-Man longer than 1 or 2 years in the Ultimate timeline?   

I don't mind someone taking over a mantle if they've been groomed for it... or if the mantle has become a fabric of society where it has to be continued for things to "be right".    Peter wasn't Spider-Man long enough for Spider-Man to be that symbol of hope, courage, and responsibility for society to accept someone just stepping into the webbed boots (I mean, society didn't quite accept him in the first place). 

Fury, and the other hereos around Pete... how are they going to take this?  I'm sure they'd be offended and then I don't know why they would accept this.  Peter had his burden and he would never want anyone else to carry it.  I dunno, I just think the other heroes would see this as brash, cocky, and not too well thought out.   

I also read that the new Spider-Man would be mentored by Gwen, Aunt May, and Peter's supporting cast...  WHY?!  Why would they want to see someone else out there doing what Peter did... why would they support that person...  why would they want to see some stranger think he can just step in and replaced their deceased loved-one?  I'm sure there will be talk of "carrying the good fight, etc", but c'mon!   

Hopefully there will be a new villian gallery as everyone found out that Pete was Spider-Man and he died...  It's pretty obvious to everyone that this isn't Pete, (aside from the Kangaroo, I guess) so they really wouldn't have anything to do with the new Spider-Man.   
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#267  Edited By ReVamp

I don't think it has anything to do with the race of the character, but the actual character itself. If Peter was black or asian or whatever other race they want him to be, then I think there would be less people against the idea.

Tyranisrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Tyranisrex

Well, it's the Ultimate Universe so I have to work up a running start to Care about it, And it's Bendis so that run needs to be downhill with a strong tailwind.  
    I don't see the big deal myself, wouldn't have minded if they did it to the 616 Parker just to put him out of his misery, but then I'm more interested in a good story and great art, then someone trying to be edgy and fill an Affirmative Action quota.  I think I would have been more impressed with it if they hadn't pushed the race card so much and might even have added the book to the pull list.  Now it's not, a New Take on Spider Man, it's just, "Look, He's not White!".....*shrug*

~Rex

Chick101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By Chick101
    @Tyranisrex
    Actually its more of the media trying to spin this as a race thing than the person behind the scenes doing it. I just wish people would always stop assuming somehow the "race card" (assuming such a thing actually existed in the first place) or affirmative action or political correctness is behind this. People keep using those terms so much as a way of opposing something new and they really need to just stop it already. People need to get a real reason to oppose this (such as Peter dying) rather than something concocted from their own imagination because they don't want to come right out and say that they don't want a black Spiderman.

I have more respect for people who openly admit they don't want a black Spiderman than those who go around whining about affirmative action or political correctness when that is not what is happening at all.
    avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By avantegardener

Why the hell not, I literally don't care what they do with characters (even my absolute favourites), it's far worse to let things stagnate than to please the basement dwellers. Change is good, besides no doubt a wizards will magic Peter back by the end of the year. Now Mignola, he's got some balls and will hopefully stick to his guns.

maelevikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By maelevikus

In the past couple of weeks I've heard rants on Miles Morales. How it's unacceptable that Marvel is "mutilating" Spider-Man. And most readers say it's good that Marvel is being progressive and politically correct but they should stick with the original concept. But there is no original concept. Spider-Man wears a mask. He can be anyone. But the sad part of this all is. Spider-Man can't apparently be black. And if he is black. He's gonna be branded as the "Black Spider-Man". I thought we were better than this. I thought we were above this. I am no fan of characters where ethnicity, sexual preference, religion, gender preference is used as a gimmick to propel the story. But i do feel in this day and age. We need diversity. Because our society is made up of diversity. Especially in the superhero comics we need diversity because people look up to these icons. They inspire us and are a reflection of ourselves. So we wish to see a reflection of ourselves in them. On that note. I'd love to see an arabian / muslim superhero (no stereotype Al-Quada Muslim) and i'd love to see a male2female pre-op transgender. Who tries to find her way in life and make the world a better place (and no stereo type over the top drag queen)

Tyranisrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Tyranisrex

That's the thing though.  I just want a Good Character.  This change might have gotten me to look at the book, but all the media coverage shaking trees about the race and then the replies by the folks making the books and the various back and forth, has just made me go "meh".  I don't see folks just trying to get a good comic here.  It's more like they're going for Pro Wrestling style Heat.  It feels to much like a gimmick especially with the early sneak peeks and such.

I'm all for Diversity.  Huge fan of many a "not my demographic" characters and they're in my collection.  Not because of that Diversity, but because they are just GREAT characters.  No Gimmick Needed.

~Rex

Mr_Tasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By Mr_Tasty

Marvel is just jumping on the diversity band-wagon (diversity isn't a band-wagon it should be something that comes naturally as we are a people of many ethnicity and color is beautiful) that has become a weak, overfilled, creaky burden that was created to make this world we live in more PC, its evident in the fact that they are making him Black and Hispanic ...cover all your bases Marvel, cover all your bases (which are belong to us)

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, Ultimate Spider-Man was a boring copy of 616 Spider-Man (with feminine qualities). I can see why people were hoping Spider-Man's replacement was Kitty Pryde or Mary Jane. Five issues into the series I had kind of hoped my mailman had died. The rest of the comics I gave to my sister.

badaboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By badaboop

No, it doesn't.  Now let's be done with it and move on. 
    To be honest, when I first opened up the comic and saw this new character I thought it was the black Ben Reilly that was introduced waaay back in the Ultimate Carnage days, but he looked like he was too skinny.  Then I saw online that his name was Miles Morales instead.  Oh well, should be interesting, eagerly awaiting the first issue.

Vanadium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By Vanadium

Since the entir Ultimate imprint is an alternate "What if"-style universe it will have no effect on the 'mainstream' unlverse and won't matter. Sure there will be some hardcore Spiderman fans who complain, but since Pete is already dead the race and/or religion of the new Spidey is not important.
    sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#277  Edited By sinful
    @G-Man: I Must say, this is the first article I have read on the site (I just joined a few minutes ago.) and it was a great read. 

I'm excited about the New Spidy as well as the mystery of his origin. Excellent, I can't wait!
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#278  Edited By gmanfromheck

@sinful: Thanks. Glad you enjoyed. And welcome to the site!

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#279  Edited By EganTheVile1

To Fox News the race of the character matters, funny how they were so invested in the character, also, not sure they are aware this is an alternate reality version of Spidey, not the real deal 616 version, who is still a fictional character... Any doubt Fox News was a racist channel was put to bed by the arrival of Miles, which kinda makes his impact on the real world legit, 

Severence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By Severence

Excuse me, but how did Ultimate Spiderman die?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.