Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Off My Mind: Do Heroes Need Secret Identities?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    The Secret Identity, one of the most important things a superhero can protect. Heroes may be willing to make big sacrifices when protecting the innocent but one thing they have to put first is protecting their secret identity. It's not that they're being selfish. The main reason has always been that having their identity remain unknown protects the loved ones in their personal lives. If their arch-nemesis ever discovered their true identity, they would begin making plans to terrorize the hero's friends and family.

But then how come not all heroes have to have secret identities? The first that comes to mind is the Fantastic Four. As one of Marvel's first group of heroes (not counting all the Timely created characters), they have always fought evil without worrying about hiding who they really were. Everyone knew where their headquarters (which also served as their home) was located. They now even have two kids. You could argue that with Reed Richards, they have the greatest security system available. That guy can invent anything. Despite that, the Baxter Building has been attacked on numerous occasions. Heck, Doctor Doom even sent the entire building out into space. Even though there has been so many attacks, they've never really suffered any losses.

What happened when Spider-Man decided to reveal his identity? Aunt May gets shot, he's no longer married to Mary Jane and we get Brand New Day as a result. As much as I love Spider-Man and dig his rogues gallery, you would think they wouldn't be able to pose as much of a threat as the Fantastic Four's enemies. 

Besides the danger to friends and family, there's been several times that Peter Parker's personal life has been affected by having a secret identity. He's had so many relationships turn sour when he couldn't explain why he had to suddenly run off. His dates would probably be a little more understanding if they knew what he was really up to. 

I would think for the average hero, a secret identity is a must. They're already sacrificing their time in fighting evil and protecting the innocent. They do deserve their private time. Look at how celebrities are affected in the 'real world.' A hero should be able to go the grocery market without someone hassling them about doing something for them. And because most villains are cowards, it's the only way to protect their loved ones.

How do you feel about the secret identity? If you had superpowers, would you have one?
    Alexman113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alexman113

I feel the difference is that the Fantastic Four are all heroes themselves, so they are more able to defend themselves, where-as Aunt May and Mary Jane are not. The fantastic Four are also heroes full-time. Spider-Man usually has to make a living on the side like the average middle-class citizen and having his identity as Spider-Man known may compromise that.

Avatar image for amazingspidermike
    AmazingSpiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By AmazingSpiderMike

G-man, I can see where you are going with this, but in the case of The FF vs. Spider-man. Reed Richards isn't the only one who has superpowers so therefore he can afford to reveal his secret identity. He is part of a team and as a matter of fact even his children has super-powers to protect them for appending doom. With Spider-man's family, Aunt May in particular doesn't (and shouldn't) have super-powers (so don't get any funny ideas Mr. Quesada). So in Spider-man's situation a secret identity is a must. If I had a super-power, I would definitely have a secret identity, not only to protect my family but I really wouldn't want people know who I am and call me every time something happened like getting their cat out of atree.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By DH69

well theres the difference right there the fantastic four went public from day one, at the begining they didnt have anyone to put in danger except themselves no immidiate family around to threaten no kids yet for them it was fine. but spidey from the very begining strived for secrecy his uncle had gotten killed because of his ignorence and that was the main drive to me for him to keep his identity to himself. not to mention at the time he was 15 years old , and when you're that age its pretty much law for you to keep things hidden especially if you're able to stick to the ceiling. if he went public from day one mabye things would have been different i dont know theres never been a "what if spider-man never had a secret identity" issue 

and if i had superpowers, i'd definitly have a secret identity. mainly cause i'd be doin a whole bunch of bad s***

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By warlock360
    @G-Man: If they aren't omniscient / present or potent then yes. As long as there are people who are close to them and care for them they should never lay the burden on them by revealing their true identity and making a friend / family member a potential victim.
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

People like the Fantastic 4 don't need their identities secret because, their pretty much invincible because they work as a team, and their all family. Characters like Spider-man work solo, he does not have a team if he tells the world(again) that he is spider-man the same thing will probably happen just like in back in black, etc. X-men, X-force, etc, they don't need their identities safe, they are a team. Strength comes in numbers, who is going to mess with a person that has a whole team backing them up? No one! That is why the villains go after the solo's. Wolverine acts like he works alone, but really he has the x-men backing him up. Sure he can get himself out of anything, and he does not have anything to loose, but it is like "if you mess with him, you mess with all of us." Another good example is Hulk.  

He is naturally a lone wolf. Hulk has had many friends, Rick Jones, Doc Samson, She-hulk, and others. However, he has always had to fight his battles on his own. Yeah the Hulk is a unstoppable force, but who is really the friend of the hulk? I don't think that heroes should reveal their identities under pressure. This makes their character feel like a last resort. Spider-man has gone through lots of things, but to reveal his identity during the civil war? He should have began joining Cap's secret rebellion. Heroes that already have their identity known is fine, but the ones that have kept their secrets well secret for over who knows how long, that is not cool. Sure everything turns out fine in the end, but it gives their enemies a name and a address book.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@Voidheart:
    exactly.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By doordoor123

Well i dont think it matters, if a hero is like tony stark, but it does matter to someone like batman. It just depends on the hero.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3

I think the heroes should always have an secret identity, not just for themselves but also their  
    friends and families. 

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

The Fantastic Four had each other to protect themselves (English good) where as other Superheroes really do have to protect their families and friends.

Mr.Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr.Grey

If you look at there "enemies" they fight are very different.  Dr.Doom the mole people, and galactus arent really the same type of drug dealers, crime lords and general scum spiderman fights.  Ya there is rhino and sandman and of course Osborn, but look at what they do for their crimes.  Spiderman  deals with violent crimes like burglary, domestic violence( on occasion), and Gang wars. The FF intersteallar aliens, inter dimensional beings, and a crazy King. If doom ever orders a mob style hit, i quit comics.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Mmmmh, If I had super power, secret identity would be a must, because I would change the world in way that mattered (To me) and innocent people could get caught in crossfire, becoming collateral damage that I couldn't easily justify. 

More of that, maybe it's cool for the FF, but I wouldn't like to live near the Baxter Building : Between the experiment of Mister fantastic and the attack of their ennemies...hell, not a chance !

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By SevanGrim

of course its entirely situational. 
    The FF were borderline celebs before their accident, which everyone knew about. They were intelligent adults (mostly).  and they where also premier scientists, meaning they could more or less study themselves better than anyone else.
     Parker on the other hand was 16. if he had come out as a hero, he would have been a lab rat and possibly "property". And he went after low level thugs, the type who would break into  his house and do horrible things to his home and Aunt May. 

each situation is different. your origin and your villains. How your family would react and your sense of duity, and your powers. Those factors determine if you need a secret identity, and you really cant "decide" otherwise. Look what happened to parker. he decided he didnt need a secret identity, and now his marriage never existed.

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I think a secret Identity is a must have for a superhero. The case of FF4 Vs. Spiderman the difference is Spiderman's villians are a bit more psychotic than the FF4's. I have never really been a fan of Spidey but he needs his secret identity more because his family and friends dont have powers to protect themselves like the FF4 do.

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Crazy Pan

In my book, I wrote out secret identities for most of the characters. The main character can't even remotely look like she's human anymore so it's not like people are so stupid they would think there is ANOTHER tiger chick running around the city. The villains obviously don't give a crap being the selfish pricks they are, and the other heroes even if they DO look human have something that gives them away. So a it is a rarity in my book that people have secret identities.

TheAntiVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheAntiVillain

if i had super powers i would do what the villains would do and try to make a lot of money off of it and in order for me to live a comfortable life i would have to have a secret identity to avoid the cops and other law enforcement agencies

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

Yes, I would have a secret identity. Otherwise I'd get the crap kicked out of me just by walking around in the middle of the day!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Certain characters need them and certain characters don't. I think for the most part characters like Spiderman, Dare Devil, and Batman they deal with a totally different brand of scum. Where as people like the Fantastic Four, Captain America, and Iron Man fight a higher class of villian. Doctor Doom, Kang, and the Mandarin are above such things as going after family. Its all in who you fight and Spidey and his type decided to go after scum bags without honor.

Although there are characters that have secret identities that don't really need them. Like for instance Superman, Lois already gets in enough trouble. I mean can she possibly get into any more.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i think it really depends on your powers and how famous you are , if you uber powerful or live with a collection of other heroes no real need since most things wont pose a significant threat , but if your uber famous solo hero i would say the identity would be useful.

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By hero vs. villian

If they don't need secret identities, then they don't need to wear masks. 

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By goldenkey

depends on the hero 
    Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hunter114

I think that sometimes it all depends on the clashes between the "hero" persona and the "civilian" persona, most superheroes that don't hide their identity haven't got anyone to protect: the FF have each other, Tony Stark is a more accessable target than Jarvis, Pepper or Happy. There is also the added advantage that both the FF and IronMan will get funding or contracts to sell their inventions, so their identity is being used as promotion, whereas characters like the Puniser use this because his hero and civilian personas are the same.

Then you have the characters with no real connections, but the civilian persona aids the community or does something that would be jepardized if the public knew their identity, for example Bruce Wayne (Batman) has considerable influence with Gotham's rich and powerful and Matt Murdock (Daredevil) works for the people as a lawyer. 

Then there are those that have people to protect, Peter Parker (Spider-Man) being the prime example, Superman being another, as well as several others. Though I think that there are the other group of people that remain a secret in general, like the X-Men, Blade, Ghost Rider etc, choose to remain hidden because it benefits both them and their causes to do so.
    jacobyLIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jacobyLIVE

It really depends on the characters. The F4 are all superheroes. All of them have powers. And the series focuses on them primarily, with no other people unless they're interacting with fellow heroes. So with that, they have no one they care so dearly about that a villain would choose to strike against, save for each other.  

Spider-Man is different. Spider-Man has love interests. And while he does interact with other heroes like the F4, his stories are generally intwined with his personal life.  

Without a "Mary-Jane" or "Gwen Stacy" character, the F4 have nothing really that they would suffer from losing except from each other. And with their coordinated attacks and team-based style of offense and defense, they don't have much to worry about losing one of their own. Spider-Man always loves someone who is vulnerable, a normal human who could, oh say, be thrown from a bridge and have her neck snapped with his webbing (or was her neck already broken?), so he needs to protect those people. And to do so is to wear a mask.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spidey 15

It depents... 

In Spidey's case is really important to have a sacret identity... this si b/c of the ppl around him like Aunt May MJ and others...we've already seen him when some villains learned his identity like GG comes also results like the death of Gwen... also during Civil War when Aunt May shooted...=] 

For heroes like spidey it's really important to keep their identity secret...=]
    ulrich200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ulrich200

Read Identity Crisis.

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrCipher

This discussion is taking the "comic book hero" concept out of the comic book and trying to place it into the real world.     
    So other than heroes whose lives are 100% controlled by a government, what hero is really just two dimensional and lives in a vacuum? Unless you're a sad example of humanity, devoid of personality and completely unable to relate to another person who simply shuts down or sits in a blank room doing literally nothing on his off hours, you have GOT to have friends, family (even distant relations) and those you care for and care for you. We aren't talking super villains here, we're talking super HEROES, those people with an extreme moral and ethical compass (likely coupled with an extreme sense of justic and compassion) that forces them to put their lives in mortal danger daily to protect others who THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW, and who cannot defend themselves! More than anyone else, heroes are people who will have relationships.
     I would say that the concept of prejudice (for alien, mutant or otherwise "different" heroes) is also a HUGE concern and another great reason to have a secret identity.

I think that the FF and Iron Man are both unrealistic examples in these terms for the very reason everyone else is stating that they CAN have their own identities. Anything that is CAPABLE of being a threat to them is CERTAINLY smart, clever or strong enough to threaten their friends, associates, and loved ones - otherwise these "heores" would be so powerful that NO THREAT would ever exist that would give them a challenge. 
    If the FF is fighting galactic level threats, and is challenged by them, then those threats are very capable of affecting anyone who the FF cares about (even those with super powers of their own or someone like Alicia Masters). Otherwise the FF would have to be scanning the ENTIRE UNIVERSE and other DIMENSIONS all day everyday for threats and respond to them on a moment's notice giving those threats ABSOLUTELY NO TIME to wreak havoc. 

I site Thor. For decades Thor (who is a FREAKIN' GOD with OTHER GODS as allies) had a secret identity.....although I don't know what ever happened to that identity in the last 20 years since he became a lame militant Greenpeace/PETA eco-terrorist.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Decept-O

I agree, it depends on the hero, but honestly, a secret identity serves to protect the friends and family of the hero.   It's just a matter of the hero and his/her role in the public eye, if he or she is even in the public eye.   

Just to digress slightly, wtih Spidey, it's always bothered me that he doesn't try to hook up with a female super hero.  Why date a civy and have all the problems associated in this area?   

Maybe Parker wants to be "grounded" like Clark Kent, but honestly, I don't buy it.  I can see why he loved Gwen Stacy but MJ needs to get kicked to the curb....like I always say...because she's a slatternly woman.  Loyalty is NOT in her DNA, plus she whines all the time yet she's got one of the coolest BF/Husband (where do they stand now anyway?) in the world.   

Mooned Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mooned Knight

I think it's a personal choice based on the hero. Some enjoy having another identity they can live through, if they were a superhero all the time I think it can get tiring. Even Batman turns into Bruce Wayne every now and again when he needs to drink Tonic Water at parties.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#28  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Wasn't the only reason Aunt May got hurt was because Peter left Stark Tower? Wouldn't have she been safer in Avengers HQ then some apartment?

Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CrimsonComedian

Honestly -- so much of them are exposed right now -- there's no point of secret identities...

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think secret Idenitys are needed to have a real life and to protect the ones you love. 
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four have different types of villains.  In terms of real world criminals, Spider-Man's villains are akin to street gangs while The Fantastic Four's villains are more like the mafia.

While the mob may be hesitant to attack you at your home in favor of a much bigger plan, a street gang has no problem with driving by your home and shooting it up.  Spidey's villains are more grounded and dirtier, so to speak, and have no problems with those sort of attacks, while Reed and co tend to deal with people with grander feats in mind.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Mbecks14

Secret identities make characters more interesting!!! it gives them a life and a second layer. even if its not secret, its so much less interesting to have a superhero who is ONLY a superhero. they need a second life at least! 

Superman without Clark Kent? boring. Spider-Man without Peter Parker? boring. 

it gives the characters a more human level. and it gives the character a cast! a group of supporting characters is just as important as having a main character. so Secret identities are a must. or at least a life outside the capes/costumes.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33  Edited By The_Martian

I think this depends on the character were talking about. Some characters, such as Iron Man or the Fantastic Four, are set up for a lifestyle where people knowing they are a hero is a benefit to them. But someone like Spider-Man on the other hand, needs his identity to protect those around him.

Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lustwish

Yes its how we relate to them and how we connect with them.  They get to be who we dream could have the chance to be. 

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Silver2467
    @G-Man: Great post, G-Man. It's an old discussion with superheroes, but it's always an interesting one. Honestly though, the concept of secret identities is so old that people a lot of times don't even pay too much attention to it anymore. As users have already said, there is a legitimate difference between the FF having public identities as compared to SpiderMan. Spidey's loved ones aren't super-powered. So I think there is much more reason for Spidey to have one. You know, the thing about secret identities is that there so unique. I mean, Spidey's secret identity affects him differently than say BatMan's. BatMan considers Wayne to be the facade and BatMan to be his real self. Spidey does it, as you said, to protect people he cares about. BatMan is different. He doesn't really have too many loved ones. I mean, there's Alfred, but, again, I think Bats keeps his identity to himself for much different reasons than someone like SpiderMan. I think Bats does it for himself. I'm not saying he's being selfish, but BatMan has a secret identity, in my opinion, because that's how he views himself. And, of course, there's also the factor of scaring criminals. I mean, if the criminals in Gotham knew that he was billionaire Bruce Wayne, I'm not sure they'd be as scared of him. And what about SuperMan. I mean, Supes has always been the incredible side of him that everyone loves; whereas Clark has always been the ordinary, nothing-special side. With SuperMan, I think he does it to protect people he cares about, particularly Lois. Although, the only thing about that is that Lois gets into trouble all the time anyway. I think it's also because Supes is supposed to set the example. He's not supposed to take rewards from people, and he's not looking for fame. Now with groups like the X-Men, I think they have secret identities because the world hasn't completely accepted mutants. And so on. There's also those, like you pointed out, who don't have secret identities, like Wonder Woman or Luke Cage. Although, Wonder Woman has kind of gotten a secret identity in recent years. So, maybe she doesn't count. Anyway, sorry for my rant on that, but again, it's always an interesting topic. So, anyway good post. 
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By TheMess1428

I'm actually writing a novel series called Secret Identity. It's about about a group of friends and "frenemies" in San Diego between the ages of 17 and 24. The whole series revolves around how you don't know the character's last names. The reader gets to know their first names but that's it. I was inspired by the concept of Heroes, the secrecy from Animorphs, and the success of Harry Potter. I think secret identities work well. But in this case, all the heroes and villains know each other. They just stay secret from the government.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Yes of course to protect yourselves and loved ones

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cmaprice

The FF have a support system. Most of their family, kids included, have powers. They don't have day jobs. They were celebrities from the start as well, so secret identities weren't really all that much of an issue. Besides, Ben's disguises aren't exactly convincing.

Ben Grimm, you say? No, I don't know the fellow.
     Ben Grimm, you say? No, I don't know the fellow.
    brendon277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By brendon277

Well some hero's like Spiderman don't want they're family and friends to get hurt or anything by they're villains or people who are out to get that hero when they're not around to help them so that's basically why they wear masks.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By greenenvy

This is one of the main reasons why I think iron man 2 is going to be a big successful drama of disasters. He gave his identity to the public at the end now the sequel is about the result of that. Because whiplash knows his target, Alcoholism is in effect with celebrity statues, and the military wants his stuff badly so iron man 2 will explain why most superheroes should hide there identities still. Iron man you dumb ass, now he must fight ongoing villains with high tech plus knowing him man I would be pissing in my pants if I was Stark.  

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#41  Edited By Dracade102

I Think it depends on the Hero... To People like Guy Gardener it's worthless, he has like no family or friends... but to people like Superman or Batman it's vitally important.

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarkSyde79

We all know the reasons why heroes have secret identities and the results that can happen from their identity (good or bad) becoming known to the general public or a member of their rogues' gallery. With that said though, I'm more interested in how many super powered individuals use their powers for their own benefits in addition or exclusively... I mean, everyone isn't gonna be broke like Peter Parker. 

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bio Guyver

Some might need it more as a necessity than others.

Dtay90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dtay90

I think it depends on the hero's home life. The Fantastic four are a group and they have high up connections and stuff so they have a lilttle cushion of protection where as Spider-Man its just him and his elderly aunt and his almost famous wife...basicly he is the only protection he's got
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I would recommend it, if they have family, loved ones, and friends.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

If you want a social life and friends and family your gonna need it unless you want to live a life like Tony Stark or The Fantastic Four constatnley attacked at home living in a house visited more than the white house no peace and quiet. Or you can be like Batman where the civilian is the mask and the Hero is the Identity

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

When secret identities become public, bad things happen (to the characters). Identity Crisis is a glorious shining example of the importance of the mask.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.