Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Now that Peter returns, he should get a girlfriend?

delaviux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The relation with Mary Jane seems to have been destroyed through the fault of Otto and though there are possibilities that are reconciled I believe that Peter should see now beyond MJ (on the other hand seems to have a new relationship with that firefighter).

I open this topic to discuss who may be suitable love interest for Peter in a situation ''Post Superior''

I believe that it should go out with a superheroine. There has commented and spoken so much of this possibility that me turns out to be incredible that still has not been done. Seriously, I believe that just now serious an ideal moment for this. Spidey needs a victory with desperation after everything bad that has happened to him. And that better victory that beginning a courtship (not very long) with a beautiful superheroine?

There it goes two candidates that I believe that maybe they would be a good girl Spidey: Carol Danvers, of course. For many motives and between which this one in which already have feelings for each other from before. Or so some writers suggest.

Or

Angela of Guardians of the Galaxy. Seriously. It is a new character and I do not think it would be difficult to put it in the wall-crawler mythology as it hasn't a lot of history behind.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

No to both.

delaviux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: That's what I mean. When he catch his breath might need someone. Someone who helps him to happen for these difficult and complicated moments that they approach through the fault of Otto.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Can he catch his breath first?

If he does (eventually) go out with a new superheroine, I would want it to be a feasible character that isn't already established. Someone like Jackpot, who was introduced in his series, would be good IMO. Of course, she went in a weird direction so not her, but someone in a similar situation.

How about one of the following:

Psylocke

She-Hulk

Spider-Woman

Black Widow

Which of the 4 would hold your interest?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Peter and MJ aren't gonna be back together for a long time.

I'm cool with him dating Carol

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Carol is supposed to be getting a new love interest in her own series. I'd be pretty disappointed if it was Spider-Man.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He shouldn't do anything til he gets his life back together. And by that, I mean, completely undoing all the damage Ock has done, from apologizing to Black Cat, Mary Jane, the Avengers, and the Fantastic Four (None of which should be a problem since the vast majority of his reprehensible acts was as Spider-Man thus far, and MJ knows both sides of his identity), and smoothing things over with the Horizon guys. Which would be trickier, but doable: Spider-Man can make a formal apology and explain what happened to him with Ock, then Peter can tell them that him and Spidey are friends, Spidey's practically a role model for Pete, and the web head acting different really bothered him, leading to his change in behavior.

THEN. ONCE ALL OF THAT IS SETTLED AND DONE WITH AS IT SHOULD BE.

THEN, Peter can look into getting a girlfriend.

Though that too is going to be WAY trickier with Anna Maria around, and, as far as she knows, still in a relationship with him.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Strider1992

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Carol is supposed to be getting a new love interest in her own series. I'd be pretty disappointed if it was Spider-Man.

I agree. Before (Ms. Marvel time) I actually liked the idea of them as an item but with everything thats happened (her memory loss, Superior Spider-man etc.....) that whole idea would seem to forced now. Maybe if Marvel had pursued it at the time it could have gone somewhere. Now though? Nope!

Plus with the backlash from Superior I think Peter might be to busy for a relationship at the moment so I doubt its him.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@strider92: I'm not a fan of them being together even if both of them are of fine mind-wise, but yeah, it does seem like a worse idea considering recent events.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darthfury78

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@strider92: I'm not a fan of them being together even if both of them are of fine mind-wise, but yeah, it does seem like a worse idea considering recent events.

There were plans to explore a Ms. Marvel x Spider-Man relationship. But that idea got shot down(perhaps by Dan Slott himself), which was why it got watered down to them just being friends. But with Carol's memory loss and the Superior Spider-Man mess, it is very doubtful that a relationship between Carol Danvers and Peter Parker will happen in the Earth-616 realm. I feel that the best way to resolve this matter is simply to add a few other heroines into the mix like the She-Hulk, Psylocke, Black Widow, and Spider-Woman respectively. Of course there was Silver Sable; but she's dead at the moment.

If Carol does get a love interest, it's doubtful that it will be Peter Parker under Kelly Sue's penmanship as she's not a fan of Peter x Carol. It's quite surprising that there was no interaction between Spock and Carol ever since the whole Superior Spider-Man era got started. I would have thought that KSD would have used Spock, Spider-Woman, and Black Widow working together in Avengers Assemble instead of Spider-Girl. But it seems that that Spock was a very restricted character who was only used by a few selected writers.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@darthfury78: SpOck met Carol in Superior Team-Up #1 when he went on that spree of attacking super-heroes in order to find Carrion. It wasn't much of an interraction mind you. She just called him a jerk basically.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@mitran said:

Can he catch his breath first?

If he does (eventually) go out with a new superheroine, I would want it to be a feasible character that isn't already established. Someone like Jackpot, who was introduced in his series, would be good IMO. Of course, she went in a weird direction so not her, but someone in a similar situation.

How about one of the following:

Psylocke

She-Hulk

Spider-Woman

Black Widow

Which of the 4 would hold your interest?

Psylocke: Other than A+X have they ever interacted.

She-Hulk: Maybe but I doubt.

Spider-Woman: I don't see it.

Black Widow: I think he might be too pissed at her.

Honestly I don't see Peter getting a girl anytime soon. Mark my words his life is going to be hell when he gets back.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@delaviux: @fallschirmjager: @jonsmith: @strider92:

Mary Jane Watson......it's been teased for years now,they should get back together,finally.

Before BIG TIME the relationships of Peter in the ASM series was "sex-based"....think about it....Michel Gonzalez?...sex.Felicia Hardy?...sex. and i sure remember some other girls with whom she had ONLY sex......

I would finally love to see a normal relationship for Pete.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Mary Jane Watson......it's been teased for years now,they should get back together,finally.

Before BIG TIME the relationships of Peter in the ASM series was "sex-based"....think about it....Michel Gonzalez?...sex.Felicia Hardy?...sex. and i sure remember some other girls with whom she had ONLY sex......

A normal relationship is fine, but Peter shouldn't get a trophy girlfriend just because the writers were idiots. Its demeaning to both characters.

Never mind the fact that Peter has little to no interaction with most other heroines, which would only feel forced.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@punyparker said:

A normal relationship is fine, but Peter shouldn't get a trophy girlfriend just because the writers were idiots. Its demeaning to both characters.

Never mind the fact that Peter has little to no interaction with most other heroines, which would only feel forced.

That's why i said MJ.
    If not then Felicia,but you would have to set her up,to be a normal girlfriend,otherwise it will be like in ASM #606........banging,and only.

I don't like Carol's remake,im a fan,and i always loves Ms.Marvel......not this Captain Marvel stuff,sorry.
    Jessica is kind of a....nothing since Bendis left.
    Other heroes?....

I would absolutelly LOVE to see him with Kitty Pride......she's SO AWESOME in All New Xmen......and he's matured(he died and came back,for God's sake) and she's not a kid anymore,and can handle herself.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darthfury78

@master_of_suprise said:

Psylocke: Other than A+X have they ever interacted.

She-Hulk: Maybe but I doubt.

Spider-Woman: I don't see it.

Black Widow: I think he might be too pissed at her.

Honestly I don't see Peter getting a girl anytime soon. Mark my words his life is going to be hell when he gets back.

With regards to Psylocke, it was a past story that could be picked up by another writer who wants to explore it further. And it does set the foundation for more adventures between them

As for the She-Hulk, Jennifer's human side is actually attracted to Spider-Man/Peter Parker. In her human form, Jennifer and Peter would get along very well. But most writers are only interested in her She-Hulk side. However, without Jennifer's human form, she would not be the She-Hulk.

Regarding the Black Widow, it's so unfortunate that no Spider-Man writer was ever interested in making Natasha as part of Spider-Man's world in a frequent guest as they do have a lot in common outside of the Avengers. The same applies to Jessica Drew as well. And the one thing that would tie both Natasha and Jessica with Peter Parker is the fact that they were not raised by their biological parents into adulthood.

On the Peter Parker side, the only normal relationship that I see are Betty Brant and Liz Allen, along with Jennifer Walters(Her humanside) and Betsy Braddock. On the Spider-Man/Peter Parker side, I see the Black Widow and Spider-Woman forming a closer bond of friendship with him as well. Thus, two heroines(Psylocke and She-Hulk) on the Peter Parker side who got to know him first before they because superheroes, and two professional spies on the Spider-Man side who got to know him early on before the Black Cat did.

No one is expecting a relationship. But their personal experiences are somewhat similar to Peter's because their minds were controlled by super villains as well in the past. So they know what's it like to be controlled against their will.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By HumanRocket

No to either suggestions. Carol sees Peter as too immature and if she's going to be with someone she has a better chance with Cap than anyone. Both are long time avengers both have military backgrouds and Carol has had a long time trust and intimacy with Cap that she has't had with anyone else. Don't see how Peter can top that. Angela don't see that either. I would think a new love interest would have to be introduce but Peter should have other things in his mind once he comes backother than getting a new GF.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should be married to Mary Jane.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should be married to Mary Jane.

Peter should be married to Betty Brant. Now that would be sometime different. As for the super heroines I talked about, Peter and Carol's relationship probably do happen; only on an alternate Earth...

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tigerkaya

None maybe as friends but not dating. I always preferred Peter dating normal women.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 vance_astro  Moderator

All Superheroes should be alone.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ooooorrrrrrrr...once Peter gets settled back in and everything is worked out, he gets back with MJ! (I wish)

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: Well for starters this is a mindset that a relationship can't work for superheroes which IMO is bogus. Sure for some heroes it might work but forcing all of them too be single makes them less unique. I actually think Peter was most relatable when he was married.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By angelalfonso

Probably not right away but he should get a new girl friend

And Peter dating Kity mmmm, she did date Boby so she likes silly jokes and Peter is WAY smarter than Boby so they may get along just fine, but I don’t see it happening.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vance_astro  Moderator

@master_of_suprise said:

@vance_astro: Well for starters this is a mindset that a relationship can't work for superheroes which IMO is bogus. Sure for some heroes it might work but forcing all of them too be single makes them less unique. I actually think Peter was most relatable when he was married.

How is it bogus when it almost never works? Unless we are talking about two characters that can't really stand on their own like Reed & Sue, most relationships in comics are written poorly and end up dragging either one or both characters down. It especially won't work for Spider-Man. The character is over 70 years old. It's not like we don't know what is going to happen with his relationships. Peter Parker will be Spider-Man, possibly forever..you think he's going to be with the same girl all that time? You don't think she'll die ,or get kidnapped or leave him, or be retconned away? Of course she will, and then we'll have to deal with his whining. I'm bored with emo Spider-Man at this point. I don't think not having romantic relationships for character will make them less unique, I think it actually just makes more sense..especially when you have superheroes who date civilians. We've seen this song and dance already.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spidey is a ladies man, he could pick up any girl he wants.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: And what do you do with the characters that were first introduced as love interest. It seems like it would devolve them down into nothing more than wallpaper. I actually feel Peter and MJ was written well for the most part. To me if we had all the heroes alone with no relationships they'd still be interesting but not as interesting. Catwoman would've never moved past her silver age phase if we did that.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vance_astro  Moderator

@master_of_suprise said:

@vance_astro: And what do you do with the characters that were first introduced as love interest.

The same thing they do with superheroes they've lost interest in or whom have run out their usefulness. Nothing.

It seems like it would devolve them down into nothing more than wallpaper.

True, but it's not like it's something they don't do.

I actually feel Peter and MJ was written well for the most part. To me if we had all the heroes alone with no relationships they'd still be interesting but not as interesting. Catwoman would've never moved past her silver age phase if we did that.

Yea, but because Peter is the most popular Marvel character on the roster..he will continue to evolve beyond Mary Jane. Because she's a civilian and of no real importance to anyone but Peter, they could get rid of her at any time. They always have to revamp Peter and find new ways to make him relevant or he will fall below their other characters. He's their flagship so he has to keep changing, eventually he will outgrow that relationship. Eventually MJ & Peter will become stale. There is only so many ways you can write a relationship.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro:

Eventually MJ & Peter will become stale. There is only so many ways you can write a relationship.

Considering the polls that always have MJ & Peter in first place, nah they are pretty much the clark & lois of marvel. Not to mention the secord part could be said about anything relating to comics.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: I actually dislike this idea that having the character in a working relationship somehow makes the character stale. I just don't see it. I argue that him being constantly alone is actually makes him more stale than a relationship would. It's one of the many, many, many reasons that OMD sucks so bad. But hey to each their own. We could argue about this until the cows come home but you're not going to convince me and I doubt I'm going to convince you so let's just agree to disagree.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @frogdog said:

Considering the polls that always have MJ & Peter in first place, nah they are pretty much the clark & lois of marvel. Not to mention the secord part could be said about anything relating to comics.

Isn't Clark with Diana?

@vance_astro: I actually dislike this idea that having the character in a working relationship somehow makes the character stale.

Characters in working relationships don't become stale, the relationship itself does. By the time One More Day came around, I coxuld have cared less what happened to Mary Jane.

@master_of_suprise

said:

I argue that him being constantly alone is actually makes him more stale than a relationship would. It's one of the many, many, many reasons that OMD sucks so bad.

That doesn't actually make any sense.

We could argue about this until the cows come home but you're not going to convince me and I doubt I'm going to convince you so let's just agree to disagree.

I was just interested in hearing your ideas. Just a friendly debate.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: Oddly enough I was the opposite attitude of OMD. Yeah I want to keep this friendly though and most flame wars seem to start of with a debate but become wars because neither side wants to concede that they might be wrong and I don't want it to devolve into that. Thank you for being so friendly.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vance_astro  Moderator
    frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vance_astro  Moderator

@frogdog said:

@vance_astro: yeah but we both know it isn't going to Iast

It shouldn't have happened in the first place.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By darthfury78

@mitran said:

None of them for longer than an issue or so. I'd only be interested in it in fanfic.

You have to look beyond their super heroine side to see that they are normal people just like Peter Parker. Jennifer Walters has a day job as a lawyer; Jessica Drew is a Private Investigator; Natasha is Secret Undercover Agent; and Betsy is a Bounty Hunter. All of which coincide with Peter Parker. No one is talking about a Black Cat type relationship. The problem with these heroines is that we rarely ever get to see their private side outside of the Avengers as I feel that it would work very well in Peter's social circles, like Julia Carpenter. Sometimes, diversity among the heroines who are close personal friends with Peter Parker only enhances on the story going forward. We never get to see the human form of Jennifer Walters playing chess with Peter; we never get to see Peter and Betsy taking a trip to Asia; we never get to see Natasha taking Peter along on one of her missions in Russia; and we never get to see Jessica Drew and Peter working together on a SWORD case.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Only woman Peter should date is Felicia. Deal with it.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By darthfury78

@mitran said:

PIs, undercover agents, and bounty hunters are not normal people. Then there's the personality. Natasha has not under normal circumstances ever been in a relationship with someone like Peter. Why would she start now? Same with Betty and Jessica, and Jennifer would rather have relationships as She-Hulk, so that wouldn't work out. Either way the problem is not with their identities (well it is) but it's also with what happens out of universe. Spider-man is by and far one of the most popular comic book characters out there. Putting him in a relationship with an established superheroine would make him overshadow them and that would be bound to have negative effects on the writing - they're in danger of becoming supporting characters. Of course the writers could just do what Azzarello is doing with Wonder Woman/Superman and completely ignore the relationship, but I'm pretty sure he's a special case.

So no, I wouldn't want any of them to be in a relationship with 616 Pete. A What If? where personalities are different and they're presumably in a relationship for an actual reason, or a fanfiction where the rules are different, but not 616.

Sometimes, you must go against conventional ideology and take a chance with a story. Otherwise, we would not have had Superior Spider-Man. For the timebeing, Spider-Man is under the control of one writer: Dan Slott. We rarely get a different view from another writer on Spider-Man ever since Marvel gave Slott total control over the character leading up to Superior Spider-Man. I think that it is a very stupid idea to not take a chance with Spider-Man in a relationship with an establish character. Everything is so homogeneous within Avengers and X-Men social groups. I feel that Black Widow, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk(Human side), and Psylocke would do wonders in Spider-Man's world towards those who have never read books that featured them in it. And there is no such thing as a normal person.

I am sure that Peter's relationship with Carol Danvers could have thrived. However, the writers who were interested are not assigned to her series. And KSD isn't interested in Spider-Man at all. If Marvel really wanted Peter to be in a superhero relationship, they just need to find a writer who wants to do it.

As for the She-Hulk, I think that most writers keep Jennifer as the She-Hulk because they don't want to waste time transforming her from human to She-Hulk, since to takes up too much space. But, I feel that Jenn needs to revert to her human form and interact with guys like Peter Parker in a normal setting. Being the She-Hulk gives Jennifer an excuse not to deal with her insecurities when she's in her human form. If Dr. Morbius didn't give Jennifer a blood transfusion with his own blood, she would have lost control over the She-Hulk. To me, the human side to Jennifer Walters is really the strongest aspect of the She-Hulk which needs to have her own life. Just like Peter Parker who can't be Spider-Man 24/7. The human side to Jenn allows her to recharge her She-Hulk powers.

The one dream that I wish to see become a reality is for Jennifer Walters(human form) and Peter Parker in a close relationship in the same fashion as he does with Betty Brant.

CykoJimmY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's gonna work it out with MJ. Well...am not following superior so... Am just glad Peter's back!

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's gonna work it out with MJ. Well...am not following superior so... Am just glad Peter's back!

It might take awhile before we ever see Peter and MJ back together again. In the meantime, I would love to see Betty Brant get a shot at Peter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.