Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

New to Spider-Man

polo327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By polo327

Hey guys, I've mostly only ever read DC comics but after reading a couple of previews at my local comic book store I think I wanna try getting into Spider-Man comics. I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding a good jumping on point. Eg. is there a particular issue (hopefully recent) of a particular title that would be a good starting point that can then be continued monthly.

PS. I don't mind spending a bit of time on Wiki to fill in minor details so it doesn't have to be an issue at the start of a continuity reboot or anything like that.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Duke_Nasty

Well things seem like they about to change big time as hes getting a sidekick next month and something huge is apparently going to happen in #700 so I'd think a good jumping on point would be #692 in August. Can't say I'm to optimistic about it though.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheAnnihilator

Anything from Dan's Slott run would be a good read, even if you're new. So hopping on at #692 should be a good option.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BringnIt

I'd probably start with Civil War and go from there.

SuperShafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SuperShafe

@BringnIt said:

I'd probably start with Civil War and go from there.

thats what i did

Webjaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Webjaker

I was you last month. I was recommended Issue #648 which starts the Big Time storyline and Dan Slott's run. He wrote it to be the perfect jumping on point. They do really well to catch you up when you need to know something that happened before. Actually JUST today I caught up to the issue from last week. So, to all those who told me to start at Big Time - Thank You

polo327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By polo327

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BringnIt

Actually, after re-reading them, I'd suggest you start with JMS's run. It ended poorly, but he wrote some of my favorite Spider-Man stories ever.

Styleshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Styleshift

I agree. Definitely start here.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-Ultimate-Collection-Book/dp/0785138935/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342722386&sr=8-1&keywords=spiderman+jms

Before the "One More Day" reboot this was one of the best runs of Spider-man.

David Micheline's run on ASM is also a very cool run. He features every major Spider-villain in his run and he also worked with Todd Mcfarlane during most of his run who did so much for the character. It's sad how so many forget how Amazing he was on Spider-man.

No Caption Provided

Right now you can get an omnibus for about 60 bucks on Amazon.

(I grabbed one and love it! Marvel does a greaaaat job with their hard covers. The pages are sewn into the book.)

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-David-Michelinie/dp/0785157298/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342722462&sr=1-1&keywords=amazing+spiderman

I have mixed feelings on the current Dan Slott run, but at least he gets the characterization of Peter Parker right!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.