Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

New Avengers?

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gottheit

Don't worry about it.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Slinger

He still is a New Avenger, he never left the team, they just don't know his secret identity.

sigh

Because they forgot it. So, so, stupid.

Avatar image for blue_lantern_2814
    Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Blue Lantern 2814

I'm reading Secret Invasion #1 as I type this, and I'm wondering why I see Spider-Man with the rest of the New Avengers.

They aren't doing anything (as far as I know) to tie Spider-Man into Secret Invasion. I know I've seen him in the latest New Avengers issues, but I figured Bendis was just waiting for a good point to drop him. According to BND, he's no longer affiliated with the New Avengers. Why would Marvel allow a slip like this? Is Bendis doing what he does best by ignoring other people's writing? Have I missed something?
    Post Edited:2008-04-16 17:26:05

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Nighthunter

Slinger says:

"So, so, stupid."
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Seriously, OMD is the single worst Spider-Man story ever, so i wouldn't be surprised if writers wants to ignore it, i know i would.

Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blue Lantern 2814

Slinger says:

"He still is a New Avenger, he never left the team, they just don't know his secret identity.*sigh*Because they forgot it. So, so, stupid."

You're right, it is. Everyone on that team uses first names when in private, they'd want to know his name before they let him on the team, that way they'd know he's trustworthy.

Marvel screwed up big time.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Slinger

I couldn't believe it when I read it. Quesada didn't technically undo the unmasking, it still happened, but somehow nobody remembered who he was cause nobody recognized him.

Seriously? Seriously?

I think I would go as far as to say OMD was the single worst story all time, Spider-Man or otherwise.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gottheit

What's One More Day about? By my count he's had more then One day...

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slinger

Gottheit says:

"What's One More Day about? By my count he's had more then One day..."

At the end of Civil War, Aunt May gets shot, then, in OMD, She takes a turn for the worse and is dying. Spidey goes around searching for ways to help her. In the end, Mephisto shows up and trades Aunt May's life for Peter's marriage to MJ. Mephisto changes history so that something happens, or doesn't happen, they never specify what he changed, but the tiny change Mephisto makes basically undoes decades of continuity in the Marvel Universe, and gives answers like the unmasking thing that make zero sense.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gottheit

Ah. Well, if the ramifications are decades long anyway, none of it would make sense until decades from now. Right now it would just be random actions that we can't possibly understand, until it is complete.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slinger

Super-Buster says:

"I thought Spidey was a New Avenger even in BND. Wasn't he hanging out at their New Avengers Dr. Strange hideout in that one issue with Wolverine?"

Yeah, he is, but that story is a whole different kind of messed up. It didn't happen until after Strange left the New Avengers, which happened while Spidey was still in his black costume.

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By Super-Buster

I thought Spidey was a New Avenger even in BND. Wasn't he hanging out at their New Avengers Dr. Strange hideout in that one issue with Wolverine?

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Shaper

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"I'm reading Secret Invasion #1 as I type this, and I'm wondering why I see Spider-Man with the rest of the New Avengers. They aren't doing anything (as far as I know) to tie Spider-Man into Secret Invasion. I know I've seen him in the latest New Avengers issues, but I figured Bendis was just waiting for a good point to drop him. According to BND, he's no longer affiliated with the New Avengers. Why would Marvel allow a slip like this? Is Bendis doing what he does best by ignoring other people's writing? Have I missed something?
    Post Edited:2008-04-16 17:26:05"

He is still tied up with them. He was shown to be in Doctor Strange house with Wolverine.

Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super-Buster says:

"I thought Spidey was a New Avenger even in BND. Wasn't he hanging out at their New Avengers Dr. Strange hideout in that one issue with Wolverine?"

I guess it's now safe to say that Bendis is pretending OMD never happened.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slinger

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"Even if that's the case, he shouldn't be in Secret Invasion. This takes place AFTER Strange leaves the New Avengers."

Strange left but Spidey is still in, he never left the New Avengers. Now they all hang out at the Leader's old apartment. I don't see why he couldn't participate in 'Secret Invasion.' Maybe I'm not understanding something?

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Super-Buster

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"Super-Buster says:

I guess it's now safe to say that Bendis is pretending OMD never happened."

Why would he pretend OMD never happened if Spidey is still a New Avenger in BND?

Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slinger says:

"Super-Buster says:

Yeah, he is, but that story is a whole different kind of messed up. It didn't happen until after Strange left the New Avengers, which happened while Spidey was still in his black costume."

Even if that's the case, he shouldn't be in Secret Invasion. This takes place AFTER Strange leaves the New Avengers.

Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super-Buster says:

"Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    "Super-Buster says:
    "Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    "Super-Buster says:

Why would he pretend OMD never happened if Spidey is still a New Avenger in BND?"

I haven't read the last couple issues of BND yet, but he's not in the New Avengers in any of the ones I've read.

Here's where OMD left off.

[img]

" />http://www.marvel.com/i/content/2068125867_full9733597.jpg[/img]"

I've seen that as well and it doesn't say whether or not Spidey is still a NA, however, in a recent BND issue it shows Spidey chilling with Wolvy and Dr. Strange, talking to them like they're all still part of the New Avengers."

That really doesn't make sense. Strange left the New Avengers at least 2 months ago, and Spider-Man can't be on the team after OMD. I edited my last post before I saw this one, take a look at it.

Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super-Buster says:

"Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    "Super-Buster says:

Why would he pretend OMD never happened if Spidey is still a New Avenger in BND?"

I haven't read the last couple issues of BND yet, but he's not in the New Avengers in any of the ones I've read.

Here's where OMD left off. Right click on it, then go to "view image" or something like that. It says that not even the Avengers remember his name. They wouldn't let him on the team if they didn't know him personally. Think about it. Before OMD, he would walk around base without his mask. Everyone would. He wouldn't be on the team without them knowing who he was, which means that he's not on the team... and possibly, never was.

Post" />http://www.marvel.com/i/content/2068125867_full9733597.jpg

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Super-Buster

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"Slinger says:
    "Super-Buster says:

Yeah, he is, but that story is a whole different kind of messed up. It didn't happen until after Strange left the New Avengers, which happened while Spidey was still in his black costume."

Even if that's the case, he shouldn't be in Secret Invasion. This takes place AFTER Strange leaves the New Avengers."

That's what I was wondering, Strange left the New Avengers in the New Avengers comic, but somehow he's still part of the N.A. in BND.

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Super-Buster

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"Super-Buster says:
    "Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    "Super-Buster says:

Here's where OMD left off.

[img]

" />http://www.marvel.com/i/content/2068125867_full9733597.jpg[/img]"

I've seen that as well and it doesn't say whether or not Spidey is still a NA, however, in a recent BND issue it shows Spidey chilling with Wolvy and Dr. Strange, talking to them like they're all still part of the New Avengers.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Slinger

Oh, I get it.

They just don't cover the New Avengers in Spidey's book, it's all strictly his solo stuff, you don't see them most of the time, but he's still in the club. Except for the most recent story, that one was supposed to be published before Strange left the New Avengers, that's the reason for the mis-continuity in that one. Does that clear anything up? Spidey is confusing these days.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By danhimself

to make sure they could handle the new schedule on amazing spider-man the first few arcs were written months in advance that's why if you go back to even the back in black issues and they have previews of brand new day it shows panels of the last new issue of amazing spider-man....and as for spidey's involvement in the new avengers he is still a member the only thing that was undone was the marriage everything else still happened the way it originally did..the only thing they haven't explained is harry being brought back to life
    Post Edited:2008-04-16 18:14:34

Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

danhimself says:

"to make sure they could handle the new schedule on amazing spider-man the first few arcs were written months in advance that's why if you go back to even the back in black issues and they have previews of brand new day it shows panels of the last new issue of amazing spider-man....and as for spidey's involvement in the new avengers he is still a member the only thing that was undone was the marriage everything else still happened the way it originally did..the only thing they haven't explained is harry being brought back to life
    Post Edited:2008-04-16 18:14:34"

Still really doesn't answer the question though. Think about the New Avengers and everything that they've been through since Civil War. How could Spider-Man be on the team if they don't know who he is? They wouldn't trust him. The only reason he's on the team is because they've all known him and his identity for years. Without that, how would he be on the team?

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Slinger

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"Still really doesn't answer the question though. Think about the New Avengers and everything that they've been through since Civil War. How could Spider-Man be on the team if they don't know who he is? They wouldn't trust him. The only reason he's on the team is because they've all known him and his identity for years. Without that, how would he be on the team?"

Well, I'm sure JQ has a really great explanation for that, but you are right, it doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. Maybe they trust him because of the spells that Strange cast on them before he left the team? I don't know why they would trust him. You are right though, he probably shouldn't be on the team, continuity wise.

Blue Lantern 2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slinger says:

"Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    "Still really doesn't answer the question though. Think about the New Avengers and everything that they've been through since Civil War. How could Spider-Man be on the team if they don't know who he is? They wouldn't trust him. The only reason he's on the team is because they've all known him and his identity for years. Without that, how would he be on the team?"

Well, I'm sure JQ has a really great explanation for that, but you are right, it doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. Maybe they trust him because of the spells that Strange cast on them before he left the team? I don't know why they would trust him. You are right though, he probably shouldn't be on the team, continuity wise."

But if no one ever learned his identity, how would he have been on the team in the first place?

J.Q. screwed up big time with this one. As if the initial beating on Spider-Man's past wasn't enough, he had to screw him over so much that half of Marvel's comics no longer make sense.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By danhimself

Blue Lantern 2814 says:

"Slinger says:
    "Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    Well, I'm sure JQ has a really great explanation for that, but you are right, it doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. Maybe they trust him because of the spells that Strange cast on them before he left the team? I don't know why they would trust him. You are right though, he probably shouldn't be on the team, continuity wise."
    But if no one ever learned his identity, how would he have been on the team in the first place? J.Q. screwed up big time with this one. As if the initial beating on Spider-Man's past wasn't enough, he had to screw him over so much that half of Marvel's comics no longer make sense."

he was on the team before his identity was revealed in the first place though

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slinger

danhimself says:

"Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    "Slinger says:
    "Blue Lantern 2814 says:
    But if no one ever learned his identity, how would he have been on the team in the first place? J.Q. screwed up big time with this one. As if the initial beating on Spider-Man's past wasn't enough, he had to screw him over so much that half of Marvel's comics no longer make sense."

he was on the team before his identity was revealed in the first place though"

Yeah, but the Avengers knew who he was. Hell, Cap recruited him outside of the school Peter was teaching at. Don't get me wrong, I understand it, I just don't like it. The most frustrating thing to me is JQ saying the unmasking happened, but people just blew it off and don't remember. If my biology teacher came out as Spider-Man, I would remember it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.