Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Need advice from spider fan's

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By chem86

I have some spiderman comics but have never really read much of them, some of the ben reilly scarlet spider stuff I really like which I've read. but really don't know much about spiderman comics in general or the differences between them. Anyway I recently checked out the cartoon Ultimate spider-man, even thou I don't often like cartoons anymore I really enjoyed the humor of this this show and its style. I was wondering is the Ultimate spider-man comic similar to the show, or can any spider fans recommend which style spidy is known best for it's humor? any advice would be great thanks

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ninjablade09

@chem86: Can tell you one thing Ultimate Spider-man show from most fan point of view is awful. Id say if you want some good stories look into some that's been written in the past few years in Amazing Spider-man comic, don't read Superior Spider-man. If you want to read Ultimate Spider-man which is like the new movie read some of the early 2000 arcs read all of those, some fantastic writing there. That's all I got for ya have fun reading and enjoy what you read.

Avatar image for manbehindthewires
    Manbehindthewires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Manbehindthewires

Some recent funny Spideys would include:

Avengers Vs. X-Men

Spider-Men

Avenging Spider-Man

The Spider-Men series would be a good place to look actually; it was only a few issues long, was recently made available as a paperback, so is relatively cheap and features 2 Spider-mans: 616's Peter Parker and Ultimate's Miles Morales, so it'll give you a chance to see what you like. It's great to see them interacting too.

No Caption Provided
    kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kingjoeg

@chem86:

Amazing Spider-man 648 - 700 and Superior Spider-man 1 - present by Dan Slott

Spider-men 1 - 5 by Brian Michael Bendis

Ultimate Spider-man 1 - present by Brian Michael Bendis

Scarlet Spider 1 - present by Chris Yost

Venom 1 - 22 by Rick Remender

That will catch you up on all the present spider-man stories. I would recommend Dan Slott's run or Rick Remenders Venom out of all of those. But if your looking for humor Chris Yost's scarlet spider has that in spades.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By chem86

@kingjoeg:Awesome! thanks for the advice man, Ill for sure check out the new scarlet spider, venom, and new amazing spiderman!

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tomchu

@kingjoeg said:

@chem86:

Amazing Spider-man 648 - 700 and Superior Spider-man 1 - present by Dan Slott

Spider-men 1 - 5 by Brian Michael Bendis

Ultimate Spider-man 1 - present by Brian Michael Bendis

Scarlet Spider 1 - present by Chris Yost

Venom 1 - 22 by Rick Remender

That will catch you up on all the present spider-man stories. I would recommend Dan Slott's run or Rick Remenders Venom out of all of those. But if your looking for humor Chris Yost's scarlet spider has that in spades.

I recommend Rick Remender's Venom run WHOLLY. Not so much Cullen Bunn's run though (which is #23 onwards to #30, which is the latest issue)

Spider-Men is a must read. If you know a little bit about Ultimate Spider-Man (by Bendis), and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (two different series btw, by Bendis too), then you HAVE to read this 5 issue miniseries.

If you want to delve into the Ultimate side (which is seperated from the rest of the comic world, taking a more modern, realistic tone), you should read Ultimate Spider-Man #1 - #160 (not sure when it ended), and then jump onto the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man from #1

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By InfamousFish

Spider-Men, Superior Spider-Man, and Ultimate Spider-Man.

silverageguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By silverageguy

@InfamousFish said:

Spider-Men, Superior Spider-Man, and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Avoid these previously mentioned suggestions like a plague. In a recent national survey, over 78% of those responding agreed tha the first 100 issues by Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr. are the greatest stories in the entire Spiderman collection. That is where you will see the creation and development of Spidermans foundation. Not to mention the development and growth of one of the greatest supporting casts in comic book history. None of the newer writers or editors come close to competing with legends like Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, or John Romita Sr. These guys are legends for a reason.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Ninjablade09

@silverageguy: A lot of the previous mentioned stuff is a modern take and expanding the history of the well know character. There's no reason to avoid (except Superior) it if you want suggestions on some well written stories about the beloved character. Plus the first hundred issues is barley cracking the ice, What about the death of Gwen Stacy, the black suit, venom and many other life changing stories that affect the character. But two each his own.

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By InfamousFish

@silverageguy: He asked for some suggestions, I just gave out three. Superior could of been thrown off the list and replaced with some other story, but the other two I see no problem with. Ultimate Spider-Man now is really good, and Spider-Men was one awesome crossover.

silverageguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By silverageguy

j@InfamousFish said:

@silverageguy: He asked for some suggestions, I just gave out three. Superior could of been thrown off the list and replaced with some otsuesher story, but the ot'er two I see no problem with. Ultimate Spider-Man now is really good, and Spider-Men was one awesome crossover.

Depends on your definition of awesome. With the first 100 issues you have the foundation from which everything else flows. You are right about the death of Gwen Stacy in issues 121 and 122. Also the subsequent issues that develop the greatest love story in comics with Peter and MJ culminating with their marriage in Spiderman annual #21. After 1990 things just got silly with Ben Reilly, the clone saga, and other nonsense that really damaged the franchise. Secret Wars was just plain stupid. Joe Quesada really messed things up in a major way with Civil War, One More Day and One moment in Time, until now where one of his greatest enemies is currently inhabiting his body....Please, lets be serious here. Spiderman is not what it used to be, and the changes havent been for the better. Of course, thats just the humble opinion of a guy who has been following the franchise for the last 48 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.