Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

My feelings on One More Day

• 66 results
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By muhabba
    @Timandm said:
    @zombietag said:
    when will people stop talking about this...
    When it gets retconned so that 'One More Day" never happened....
    tee hee hee... i agrees
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By zombietag
    @muhabba said:
    @Timandm said:
    @zombietag said:
    tee hee hee... i agrees
    wait wait, because fans are mad you guys want marvel to retcon a RETCON? really? cmon a lot of people hated it, but if marvel always just did whatever the fans thought they wanted, comics wouldnt even be fun anymore. i commend them for sticking to their guns
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53  Edited By Timandm
    @zombietag said:

@muhabba said:

@Timandm said:
    @zombietag said:
    tee hee hee... i agrees
    wait wait, because fans are mad you guys want marvel to retcon a RETCON? really? cmon a lot of people hated it, but if marvel always just did whatever the fans thought they wanted, comics wouldnt even be fun anymore. i commend them for sticking to their guns
    "always did whatever the fans wanted?"  Um... Like when exactly?
    Considering that the comic book industry is in a serious state of decline, perhaps giving the readers what they want isn't really that bad of an idea....
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By zombietag
    @Timandm said:
    @zombietag said:

@muhabba said:

@Timandm said:
    @zombietag said:
    tee hee hee... i agrees
    "always did whatever the fans wanted?"  Um... Like when exactly? Considering that the comic book industry is in a serious state of decline, perhaps giving the readers what they want isn't really that bad of an idea....
    obviously they dont always give the fans whatever they want. thats not my point. my point is that if you watch interviews with the creators its very obvious that they want to put out the best comics they possibly can. period. yeah theres some crap that marvel puts out, everyone has some books like that, but overall its hard for me to believe they dont want to tell good stories or dont care if they put out bad stories. and as soon as they get a bad reaction to something, they cant just turn around and "redo" it or scratch and start something new. i think its good to hold to creative integrity and not just bend to whatever people on the internet (most of which have never written a comic btw) think should happen in the MU. not everyones going to like everything, and you simply cannot please everyone all the time. they shouldnt bend over backwards just to keep people from getting mad about stories, they should focus on what they think makes a good comic.

do i think OMD was a great story? not really, i got as upset as everyone else. i love mj. but its been years since it came out. i dont want them to retcon stuff just because i dont like it. i want them to keep putting out comics they feel they would buy if they were a fan. 

and what i really want is for people to stop acting like the people who make comics dont care about comics.
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Timandm
    @zombietag
    When we, the reader, bitch, piss, moan, and complain about the stories that are written or the job that a comic book writer or artist is doing, we're not saying that the writers and artists don't care... We're simply saying we don't like the job they've done...

I think George W. Bush did a piss poor job as the president of U.S.... (Please, don't anyone try to debate me on this.  I"m only expressing my opinion)  I am not suggesting he didn't CARE about doing a good job.  I'm not suggesting he didn't care about this country.  I'm just saying that ' I ' think he did a piss poor job...    If you're the manager of a baseball team, and your pitcher seems to have lost his arm, the fans are going to get angry... They're going to complain... And they're going to want the manager to take the pitcher out of the game and put someone else on the mound....  IMPORTANT NOTE:  Just because I might complain about the pitcher or the team in general, I'm not suggesting I can play better than them, I'm simply complaining about the job THEY are doing...  It's a fan's prerogative.

As it happens, comic vine is one of those places where we, the reader, can come together and bitch, piss, moan, and whine about comics, writers, artists, etc...  But notice, we're STILL reading the comics...  Writers should not simply bend to the current whims and fancies of the readers, HOWEVER, since the comics exist for the readers, and not the readers for the comics, the writers should take into consideration what the readers want.  I personally feel that many writers honestly find out what the readers want and then INTENTIONALLY do not give it to them...  The writers for the animated series J.L.A said this of themselves...  I think this attitude permeates through the comic universe... 

Now, as OFTEN as Marvel and DC bring characters back from the dead... As often as they contradict previous story lines... As often as they, bring about changes in the powers and power levels of characters... It is NOT out of the realm of possibility for Marvel to undo things like OMD... (Damn, I hated that story so much I even hate typing that)  They don't have to 'retcon' it exacly... They can simply undo it...  It would be easy...  Peter and MJ learn that Mephisto really didn't save Aunt May, but rather, she learns that Tony Stark put Extremis inside Aunt May and saved her life... Mephisto knew what would happen and took advantage of the situation to make that deal with Peter and M.J.  TA DA!  Problem solved... Peter and M.J. are not bound to any agreement as Mephisto really did nothing...  Does that sound ridiculous, Yes...but no more so than the original story...  How ridiculous is it, that in the marvel superhero community, with all the healers out there, with those whose blood has healing power, with those how are powerful sorcerers, that not ONE could save an old woman???  So, Marvel can use a ridiculous story line to get Peter and MJ back together... As they're meant to be...

I just realized I should say for the record, I DO see your point of view...
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By zombietag
    @Timandm said:
    @zombietag:  When we, the reader, bitch, piss, moan, and complain about the stories that are written or the job that a comic book writer or artist is doing, we're not saying that the writers and artists don't care... We're simply saying we don't like the job they've done...  I think George W. Bush did a piss poor job as the president of U.S.... (Please, don't anyone try to debate me on this.  I"m only expressing my opinion)  I am not suggesting he didn't CARE about doing a good job.  I'm not suggesting he didn't care about this country.  I'm just saying that ' I ' think he did a piss poor job...    If you're the manager of a baseball team, and your pitcher seems to have lost his arm, the fans are going to get angry... They're going to complain... And they're going to want the manager to take the pitcher out of the game and put someone else on the mound....  IMPORTANT NOTE:  Just because I might complain about the pitcher or the team in general, I'm not suggesting I can play better than them, I'm simply complaining about the job THEY are doing...  It's a fan's prerogative. As it happens, comic vine is one of those places where we, the reader, can come together and bitch, piss, moan, and whine about comics, writers, artists, etc...  But notice, we're STILL reading the comics...  Writers should not simply bend to the current whims and fancies of the readers, HOWEVER, since the comics exist for the readers, and not the readers for the comics, the writers should take into consideration what the readers want.  I personally feel that many writers honestly find out what the readers want and then INTENTIONALLY do not give it to them...  The writers for the animated series J.L.A said this of themselves...  I think this attitude permeates through the comic universe...   Now, as OFTEN as Marvel and DC bring characters back from the dead... As often as they contradict previous story lines... As often as they, bring about changes in the powers and power levels of characters... It is NOT out of the realm of possibility for Marvel to undo things like OMD... (Damn, I hated that story so much I even hate typing that)  They don't have to 'retcon' it exacly... They can simply undo it...  It would be easy...  Peter and MJ learn that Mephisto really didn't save Aunt May, but rather, she learns that Tony Stark put Extremis inside Aunt May and saved her life... Mephisto knew what would happen and took advantage of the situation to make that deal with Peter and M.J.  TA DA!  Problem solved... Peter and M.J. are not bound to any agreement as Mephisto really did nothing...  Does that sound ridiculous, Yes...but no more so than the original story...  How ridiculous is it, that in the marvel superhero community, with all the healers out there, with those whose blood has healing power, with those how are powerful sorcerers, that not ONE could save an old woman???  So, Marvel can use a ridiculous story line to get Peter and MJ back together... As they're meant to be...  I just realized I should say for the record, I DO see your point of view...
    first off, that post is way too long haha. 

but guess what? i TOTALLY agree with you! its true! why couldnt someone save her? idk its dumb. sometimes part of the story is ignoring what could of happened and enjoying what did, but i dont think many people feel that way about OMD. 

heres the problem: its been almost FOUR YEARS since the story came out. over a HUNDRED ISSUES ago. you think marvel doesnt know that people hated it? you think joe doesnt get that a lot of people blame him for that "terrible" story?? they get it, they know. they knew only a few days/weeks after it came out. but when fans are STILL complaining about something after that long, its no longer just telling marvel what they like and dont like, its straight up complaining and hatin' on em. we get it, people didnt like it. but theres other comics out now. can we get over it? please? 

im not upset about fans expressing their opinion, im just sick of people whining about this
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Timandm
    @joshmightbe said:
    Ok I'd just like for everyone who claims to like OMD to just imagine if they did that to say Superman and Lois Lane, Say Ma Kent was on the verge of death and the only option to save here was to sell their marriage to Neckron, now imagine what the fan reaction to Superman making that deal would be. 
    I know you posted this months ago.. But, I find it interesting that DC actually IS doing the same thing to Superman and Lois.  I guess we'll get to see the reaction...
    thejman16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By thejman16

i hope that carlie goes away and mj and peter get back together also i think OMD kind of helped peter get into horizon where hes making all the cool stuff

thanos1970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By thanos1970

one more day is an example of hack writeing by untalented writers. trhe story is stupid uninspired and just lazy. The charictures are out of charicture. It makes no sence. Why would Myphesto care about one marraige. and Peter is very low on his list. He has bigger fish to fry like his beef with Thor The silver surfer Loki Doc strange ect ect. Spidey is way under the radar. Plus my god can we go 2 issues with out the OMG Aunt May is going to die BS. They claim they wanted new grounds new stories well here is a big idea dumbasses KILL AUNT MAY. wow that was hard but oh we cant do a married Peter story thats played out. Old stale but wait we can do Aunt may had her 1,000,000,000 heart attach and is on deaths bed. Oh next ish she can ahve a stroke and is dieing then cancer then broken hip oh wow this is soo good im glad we got rid of MJ for this. we could never do a Aunt may story with her around. 

This is why i gave up on spiderman after one more day. baby step foward and 1,000,000 steps back. and the solution to OMD would be soo simple. here you go the fix for OMD and the title would fit a hell of alot better. and i can give it in two ways. 

1. spidey has to choose who he will save he can only save one aunt May or MJ. he decides to save MJ he arrives only to find out he was tricked my Mephisto and its Aunt May at the resque site. Wham MJ is dead. peter has the guilt of knowing he "killed" her Mephisto explains he kept his promiss and allowed him to save one of his loved ones. A broken Peter has to live with the loss of his wife and the guilt that he could not save both. Mephisto as a consolation prize lets him spend ONE More day with MJ for a simple favor to be repaid later. Peter reluctantly accepts. makeing the bad desision because hes distraught and over come with greif and wants to have cloosure and forgiveness for not saving MJ. Later of course the favor is he claims Aunt may and further breaks peter and claims total victory. It works because wow the villian wins one. (they can easily be returned to the living with the help of doc strange.) 

2. same set up Peter tries to deal with mephesto for Aunt Mays life but an irate mary Jane explains that his Aunt would never want to live knowing he sold his soul as they say to save her. shes a god fearing woman and would never ever except her life is still going because the devil saved her. Mary Jane dumps Peter saying she can no longer love him because of his willingness to throw their love away soo easily. They spend their last day together remembering their once lost love and she tells Peter he needs to grow up and accept Aunt may will one day die and he will be truely alone because he gave away his love to save her. She then leaves Peter is forced to truely look at himself and ask what has his life become and where does he go from here. 

there 100X better story than that crap and i dont even write for a living. The story is tighter more reflective of the charictures and it keeps them true to their personality. 

any thoughts?
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @MoodyKingMoron said:
    That's not the only time Spidey's made bad deals. There was that time in the early 90's when he agreed to leave Venom alone so Marvel could do a series about him. I'd say that was a pretty poor move. Even worse is when he almost helped the Jackal at the height of the Clone Saga. 
    I have to agree with zombietag, its been years, Dan Slott has done wonders and I think the book is finally in good hands after all these years. I think its time to stop beating this dead horse. 
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By muhabba

This is a dead horse I will never stop beating.  Ever.  I can't.  Expressing my hatred of OMD is like crack to me.  I have pulled people that have never read a single comic book into a debate over it. (i find it best to due this while at work cuz then they can't escape) I agree it's been 4 years, but for me it's been four years of hatred.  Thank God I never got that Spidy tattoo when I was younger, I'd hate to go through life with only one butt-cheek.

Avatar image for kamrincdisandro
    KamrinCDiSandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy one more day one of the two most laziest Spider-Man story arcs.

I hated this comic mainly because it made no sense acroding to interviews was they wasnted to Give Spider-Man more of a love life, but couldnt as long as he was still married, and they didn't want to do a divorce story.

Lets talking about hpw to fo this story again it would have been fine if it was MJ who was shot and not aunt may the drama tragity would be more efective and I can immigie Peter willing too and maybe have mephisto erase everyone's memory except Spider-Man.

Or how about do a divorce story have the whole MJ is tired of Peter being Spider-Man and leaves him after all we have seen her on diffrent ocasuions threaten to divorce hi. Have what happen be the final straw and she leaves him.

Next lets point figures at the ones resposible.

The First is the goverment if they werent so power hungry and wanted control of all metahumans the socovia acrods would have never had been made to begin with.

The Second is Toney stark he new well aware of the danfers of an identity especially Spider-Man who explain he has a family he is worried and yes he offered them a place to stay, but considering how relentles Kingpin is I am pretty sure he would have still tried.

Third is peter now he isnt innocent either mainly because he could have not listened to Toney in the first place and when he confronts him about it he could have just made a deal with toney in the first place.

Next Is MJ she is the one who accepted the deal in the first place not Peter. MJ.

Also there are ways to ubdo one more day that must over use idea is the reality stone which could ubdo mephisto's powers.

Or ghost rider who has helped people who have suffered in Mephisto's will.

Personally its on parr with the Death of Gwen Stacy of a lazy comic.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ZariusII

@kamrincdisandro said:

Or how about do a divorce story have the whole MJ is tired of Peter being Spider-Man and leaves him after all we have seen her on diffrent ocasuions threaten to divorce hi. Have what happen be the final straw and she leaves him.

Next Is MJ she is the one who accepted the deal in the first place not Peter. MJ.

That would be completely against MJ's character. She would never do that, and no, she has never "threatened" to divorce him, she's had civil and emotional discussions with Peter about separation, but she never threatened him and most of the time she didn't mean it. When JMS had them go through a separation, the two's love for one another was strengthened.

And it was both Peter and MJ who accepted the deal. MJ only accepted the deal because Peter guilt-tripped her into making it, and then Peter went ahead with it rather than talk MJ out of it. MJ made the deal because she believed her love for Peter would overcome whatever Mephisto threw at them...it took them a decade, but they're back together now, so she was proven right.

KamrinCDiSandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is weird I found out comic wise is everyone blames Spider-Man for one more day when it was Mary Jane Watson who broke the deal.

What I read the writers wanted have Spider-Man dating other characters, but didn't want to divorce the two or have Spider-Man cheat on each other since Spider-Man is an Iconic and the face of MARVEL Comics.

My complaint is how they did it was lazy. Like why couldn't they do a story about Divorce if MARVEL can do a storm about anti drug campaigns or have Black Panther beat up the KKK. Why couldn't they do a story about Divorce after all. MJ did threaten People on several occasions if he didn't quit being Spider-Man she would divorce him.

What is supprising is that MARVEL confirmed they would never undo One More Day no mate who will be writing meaning Marvel doesn't want it so here is my question why not make it official. Have MJ or Peter Married off to someone else or be lazy and pull another Gwen Stacy thing and kill off MJ.

At least it's a representation and it's official to the story.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ZariusII
    @kamrincdisandro said:

What is weird I found out comic wise is everyone blames Spider-Man for one more day when it was Mary Jane Watson who broke the deal.

What I read the writers wanted have Spider-Man dating other characters, but didn't want to divorce the two or have Spider-Man cheat on each other since Spider-Man is an Iconic and the face of MARVEL Comics.

My complaint is how they did it was lazy. Like why couldn't they do a story about Divorce if MARVEL can do a storm about anti drug campaigns or have Black Panther beat up the KKK. Why couldn't they do a story about Divorce after all. MJ did threaten People on several occasions if he didn't quit being Spider-Man she would divorce him.

What is supprising is that MARVEL confirmed they would never undo One More Day no mate who will be writing meaning Marvel doesn't want it so here is my question why not make it official. Have MJ or Peter Married off to someone else or be lazy and pull another Gwen Stacy thing and kill off MJ.

At least it's a representation and it's official to the story.

So after three years, you came crawling back to repeat the same tired argument that I already countered.

As I told you last time:

-MJ made the deal only because Peter guilted her into it, and then agreed with her after she reassured him (and she ended up being proven right, as their love was enough to overcome everything that stood against it in the Brand New Day era)

-MJ never intended to carry out any of those 'threats', they were just words. In truth she was more afraid Peter didn't need her with all of his powers, but once he assured her he did need her, they reconciled to the point it took devil magic to split them.

If Peter married someone else, someone would undo it. Ditto for MJ. They always find their way back to each other.

Read Spider-Man: Life Story by Chip Zdarsky. It deals with a situation which leads to divorce, but Peter and MJ end up back together a decade later anyway.

At the end of Spencer's run, it's confirmed Peter and MJ will have a child that kicks him to the curb, so it doesn't matter what happens or who else they date/marry, Peter and MJ are destined to be together. OMD is the illusion of change, in truth nothing ever truly does.

KamrinCDiSandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Fair enought can we just agree one more day was the writers fault. Also I did theory wise if Peter and MJ Did get married everything that happens in One more day would be undone. I guess I am just made that MARVEL treats Spider-Man's love interests really bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.