Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Movie Question

DoctorGraybles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why is it that a lot of people (Including James Franco) say that The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) is too much like Spider-Man (2002)? As far as I can tell, as a remake of his origins they are two completely different films. They have different characters, a different villain, no Daily Bugle, no small time wrestling, the villain doesn't die, he has web shooters instead of organic webbing, and heck he doesn't even find the guy that kills his uncle. Plus you know the whole mystery behind his parents, they were barely mentioned in the original trilogy. As for things that are similar:

*Gets bit by a spider

*Uncle Ben gets killed after he fails to stop a robbery

*He goes on a hunt for the killer

Those kind of have to be there otherwise it isn't Spider-Man origin.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ninjablade09

@doctorgraybles: I don't know, but all those people who complained are the reason why people think the movie is similar. It would have been an entire different movie but because fans/ test screeners wanted it to be similar to the Raimi move. The movie went through major reshoots.

DoctorGraybles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorgraybles: I don't know, but all those people who complained are the reason why people think the movie is similar. It would have been an entire different movie but because fans/ test screeners wanted it to be similar to the Raimi move. The movie went through major reshoots.

No Caption Provided

Oh, I wasn't aware that it went through reshoots because of people bias to Raimi's trilogy. That does make since though, I imagine that they are changing the costume in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for a similar reason. I guess to be fair though, Raimi's costume was pretty faithful to the comic books (I just wish they would have given Alex Ross' concept outfit a chance). The picture of course is from the set of The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Ninjablade09

@doctorgraybles: Yep. March of last year reshoot happened. And your right about the costume. Sony really tried to impress fans by listening to complaints for ASM. I think that was a major down fall.

Joeyzbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Joeyzbrown

It's only because it did seem very similar, in certain ways. Once the next one comes out and Rhino is the new villain, people should separate the two different trilogy's.

DoctorGraybles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DoctorGraybles

It's only because it did seem very similar, in certain ways. Once the next one comes out and Rhino is the new villain, people should separate the two different trilogy's.

You are right about that, Rhino and Electro are going to be sweet! Electro looks pretty awesome with the on set LED practical FXs, I can only imagine how cool he is going to look after they apply special FXs. I hope they release an image of what Rhino is going to look like soon, I can hardly wait.

DoctorGraybles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorgraybles: Yep. March of last year reshoot happened. And your right about the costume. Sony really tried to impress fans by listening to complaints for ASM. I think that was a major down fall.

Hopefully that's the only thing they try to impress fans with Raimi-style wise. Otherwise, people will draw more and more similarities between the two franchises and complain even more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.