Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Mechanical or Organic Web-shooters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Mechanical or Organic Web-shooters? (103 votes)

Mechanical 45%
    Organic 55%

A well-known debate. Two facts facing each other: Intellect & Biology. Should Peter Parker be a little genius or a genetically modified man who has no need for technologies.

Please vote and share your thoughts.

• 
    JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJ62

Organic. Because anyone can slap on a pair of web shooters, having organic webs makes him truly special.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DH69

The mechanical webshooters have been a staple with spider-man since the very beginning, that being said i was a fan of his "other" powers especially the organic webs, yes like most crap these days it was only introduced because of the movies, and went away once the raimi trilogy was done, but it gave him a more rounded repertoire of powers other than just the spider-sense and wall crawling.

although the spikes made no sense...they come out of the same area as his webbing, most people ***** about how the webbing is anatomically impossible yet i've never seen someone complain about his webs and spikes coming out of the same spot.

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Organic is much better and I prefer it to look like the ones in the spider-man trilogy

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Phaedrusgr

The mechanical webshooters show and remind us the level of his intellect. Yet, I always liked the organic ones, since I always liked "The Other" arc. But we do have Scarlet Spider who has organic web shooters, so, I think we could accept Spiderman having mechanical web shooters.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I personally prefer mechanical because it shows Spidey's intellect. No one can make them but him (except Doc Ock). Plus its always interesting when he is in the middle of a big fight and he need his webs but they need to be refilled.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Mechanical, for a few reasons. It shows him for the genius he is, and biological web shooters make absolutely NO sense when it comes to his origin. I'd actually really like it if he made more gadgets, like Batman does. Like Armour, weapons, e.t.c.

superhero17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard that Spider-Man uses organic web in some comics can someone please tell me which ones?

Bokkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj62: No, he made those when he was a teen, making them at that age make's him special.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

if wolverine can have 100 or so natural powers , so can spidey . maybe nix the stingers but i like the idea of natural webbing as long as it doesn't come out from his lower abdomen , all is well

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By frogdog

@jj62 said:

Organic. Because anyone can slap on a pair of web shooters, having organic webs makes him truly special.

Anyone that undermines the webshooters, is lost.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mechanical, it shows that peter is creative and smart...and a bit of a nerd. Who does not want web shooters!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj62 said:

In an episode when he was de-powered he tried to use them and his arms were almost ripped out of it's sockets. So I don't think "just anyone" can use them.

@superhero17

I can't remember, it was during his marvel knights, "the other" where he gets enhanced powers

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

organic because the mechanical ones appear only when the plot needs pete to not have webs to do something important otherwise they dont exist.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was experimenting with different settings, voice commands and such...I thought that was pretty cool.

Avatar image for daboyfromsaturn
    daboyfromsaturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

With the mechanical ones wasn't he always running out of web or the tubes where he stored them exploding all the time? But this does raise the question about organic webbing, does it relate to his level of fatigue? Like how you can only fly as fast as you run if you don't have super speed.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Mechanical.

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Mechanic, makes him human and show his geniality on building his own webshooters.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

I prefer the mechanical, as that just demonstrates how brilliant Peter is.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Strongarm

Mechanical, ditko made them

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a middle ground here.

I always thought that Spidermans webbing should be natural.

But people have made the point that we need something to prove Parker intellect.

Why cant Parker have natural webbing, but enhances is with his web shooters, sort of like Wolverines gloves. But more advanced. He could have impact webbing like Scarlet, and those spikes.

Avatar image for beautifulrevery
    beautifulrevery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Organic seems to be a better idea and if it were first implemented at the start of his run I'd be all for it but the web shooters are classic and iconic at this point.

Showing his genius I feel like Peter should definitely implement some more tech into his standard gear/costume. It just seems like such a waste that a genius with the ability to simulate organic webbing through science and technology on a crap budget can't go a little further and make something to give him a greater edge in his crime fighting.

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Organic seems cool at first blush, but upon further reflection you realize he is shooting an equivalent of ejaculate out of his wrists. It's not spit... it's not snot... it's a goo that is made in his body and he is spraying it out at things and people and... it's wrist ejaculate and that is just a no.

Stop... right there... it's a big NO.

Mechanical is better for a number of reasons. It's traditional. It's interesting, adding plot elements like needing to refiill - or developing a different formula for various adversaries. It's not body fluids that could be used to identify him with a DNA test. It's not body fluids that can be looked at as ejaculate- cause EWWW - that's just nasty!

Mechanical - that's what you want to vote.

NotSoSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Organic web shooters make him more spider-like. I've always wondered what made him "Spider"-Man. As readers, we know he got bit by a radioactive spider, but everyone else in the Marvel universe doesn't know that. So what spider powers does he have? Spider-Sense? Last time I checked spiders weren't pre-cognitive. Next time I see one I'll ask. Sticking to walls? Don't most insects do that as well as arachnids. Heck, he could have made a pair mechanical wings and been fly boy.

Because That Idea Worked Out Sooooo well
    Because That Idea Worked Out Sooooo well

No, organic web shooters definitely make him more of a "Spider"-Man.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm usually a "purist" when it comes to Spider-Man. I hated the Gwen Stacey/Norman Osborn fling. I hated the end of the marriage. I hated when they brought Aunt May back. But I loved the organic web shooters. For one simple reason. How many more times do we have to see Peter run out of web fluid mid-swing or mid-fight?

Superstoked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very much agree with the ejaculate thing. If I was robbing a bank in the MCU and Spider-Man came at me with that stuff, I'd say, "No thanks man. I'll go quietly. Just don't touch me with your wrist spunk."

That being said, most people think its more reliable, but is it? I remember in Spider-Island when Ms. Perfect Cooper and all her perfectness asked Peter for some web shooters because she was "drying up" (Ew. Cooper, no one wants to hear about the moisture of your constitution.) and Peter said, Oh yeah, that will happen with organic webbing. You have to eat starchy foods and make sure you consume plenty of liquids (Which on that note, how does he know since the organics got retconned with OMD, but ah what the hell? Who can keep up with it anymore? I'm gonna go burn all my spider-man comics because they are worthless now.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.