Mechanical or Organic Web-shooters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Zardu (348 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Mechanical or Organic Web-shooters? (68 votes)

Mechanical 53%
Organic 47%

A well-known debate. Two facts facing each other: Intellect & Biology. Should Peter Parker be a little genius or a genetically modified man who has no need for technologies.

Please vote and share your thoughts.

#1 Edited by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Organic. Because anyone can slap on a pair of web shooters, having organic webs makes him truly special.

#2 Edited by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

The mechanical webshooters have been a staple with spider-man since the very beginning, that being said i was a fan of his "other" powers especially the organic webs, yes like most crap these days it was only introduced because of the movies, and went away once the raimi trilogy was done, but it gave him a more rounded repertoire of powers other than just the spider-sense and wall crawling.

although the spikes made no sense...they come out of the same area as his webbing, most people ***** about how the webbing is anatomically impossible yet i've never seen someone complain about his webs and spikes coming out of the same spot.

#3 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

Organic is much better and I prefer it to look like the ones in the spider-man trilogy

#4 Edited by Phaedrusgr (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

The mechanical webshooters show and remind us the level of his intellect. Yet, I always liked the organic ones, since I always liked "The Other" arc. But we do have Scarlet Spider who has organic web shooters, so, I think we could accept Spiderman having mechanical web shooters.

#5 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally prefer mechanical because it shows Spidey's intellect. No one can make them but him (except Doc Ock). Plus its always interesting when he is in the middle of a big fight and he need his webs but they need to be refilled.

#6 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6358 posts) - - Show Bio

Mechanical, for a few reasons. It shows him for the genius he is, and biological web shooters make absolutely NO sense when it comes to his origin. I'd actually really like it if he made more gadgets, like Batman does. Like Armour, weapons, e.t.c.

#7 Posted by superhero17 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard that Spider-Man uses organic web in some comics can someone please tell me which ones?

#8 Posted by Bokkie (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62: No, he made those when he was a teen, making them at that age make's him special.

#9 Posted by SoA (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

if wolverine can have 100 or so natural powers , so can spidey . maybe nix the stingers but i like the idea of natural webbing as long as it doesn't come out from his lower abdomen , all is well

#10 Edited by frogdog (3571 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62 said:

Organic. Because anyone can slap on a pair of web shooters, having organic webs makes him truly special.

Anyone that undermines the webshooters, is lost.

#11 Posted by spider11211 (1143 posts) - - Show Bio

Mechanical, it shows that peter is creative and smart...and a bit of a nerd. Who does not want web shooters!

#12 Posted by w0nd (4081 posts) - - Show Bio
@jj62 said:

In an episode when he was de-powered he tried to use them and his arms were almost ripped out of it's sockets. So I don't think "just anyone" can use them.

@superhero17

I can't remember, it was during his marvel knights, "the other" where he gets enhanced powers

#13 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

organic because the mechanical ones appear only when the plot needs pete to not have webs to do something important otherwise they dont exist.

#14 Posted by w0nd (4081 posts) - - Show Bio

He was experimenting with different settings, voice commands and such...I thought that was pretty cool.

#15 Posted by daboyfromsaturn (26 posts) - - Show Bio

With the mechanical ones wasn't he always running out of web or the tubes where he stored them exploding all the time? But this does raise the question about organic webbing, does it relate to his level of fatigue? Like how you can only fly as fast as you run if you don't have super speed.

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Mechanical.

#17 Posted by SadiaVicious (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Mechanic, makes him human and show his geniality on building his own webshooters.

#18 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer the mechanical, as that just demonstrates how brilliant Peter is.

#19 Edited by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

Mechanical, ditko made them

#20 Posted by acer51 (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a middle ground here.

I always thought that Spidermans webbing should be natural.

But people have made the point that we need something to prove Parker intellect.

Why cant Parker have natural webbing, but enhances is with his web shooters, sort of like Wolverines gloves. But more advanced. He could have impact webbing like Scarlet, and those spikes.

#21 Posted by beautifulrevery (1521 posts) - - Show Bio

Organic seems to be a better idea and if it were first implemented at the start of his run I'd be all for it but the web shooters are classic and iconic at this point.

Showing his genius I feel like Peter should definitely implement some more tech into his standard gear/costume. It just seems like such a waste that a genius with the ability to simulate organic webbing through science and technology on a crap budget can't go a little further and make something to give him a greater edge in his crime fighting.

#22 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Organic seems cool at first blush, but upon further reflection you realize he is shooting an equivalent of ejaculate out of his wrists. It's not spit... it's not snot... it's a goo that is made in his body and he is spraying it out at things and people and... it's wrist ejaculate and that is just a no.

Stop... right there... it's a big NO.

Mechanical is better for a number of reasons. It's traditional. It's interesting, adding plot elements like needing to refiill - or developing a different formula for various adversaries. It's not body fluids that could be used to identify him with a DNA test. It's not body fluids that can be looked at as ejaculate- cause EWWW - that's just nasty!

Mechanical - that's what you want to vote.

#23 Posted by NotSoSuper (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Organic web shooters make him more spider-like. I've always wondered what made him "Spider"-Man. As readers, we know he got bit by a radioactive spider, but everyone else in the Marvel universe doesn't know that. So what spider powers does he have? Spider-Sense? Last time I checked spiders weren't pre-cognitive. Next time I see one I'll ask. Sticking to walls? Don't most insects do that as well as arachnids. Heck, he could have made a pair mechanical wings and been fly boy.

Because That Idea Worked Out Sooooo well

No, organic web shooters definitely make him more of a "Spider"-Man.

#24 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm usually a "purist" when it comes to Spider-Man. I hated the Gwen Stacey/Norman Osborn fling. I hated the end of the marriage. I hated when they brought Aunt May back. But I loved the organic web shooters. For one simple reason. How many more times do we have to see Peter run out of web fluid mid-swing or mid-fight?

#25 Posted by Superstoked (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I very much agree with the ejaculate thing. If I was robbing a bank in the MCU and Spider-Man came at me with that stuff, I'd say, "No thanks man. I'll go quietly. Just don't touch me with your wrist spunk."

That being said, most people think its more reliable, but is it? I remember in Spider-Island when Ms. Perfect Cooper and all her perfectness asked Peter for some web shooters because she was "drying up" (Ew. Cooper, no one wants to hear about the moisture of your constitution.) and Peter said, Oh yeah, that will happen with organic webbing. You have to eat starchy foods and make sure you consume plenty of liquids (Which on that note, how does he know since the organics got retconned with OMD, but ah what the hell? Who can keep up with it anymore? I'm gonna go burn all my spider-man comics because they are worthless now.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.