Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Marvel's 14 year attempt to restart Spider Man's career

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

He is one of the most loved and infamous heroes to has ever appeared in comics, Peter Parker, also very well known as the Amazing Spiderman. After following a long career of hardship, difficulties, brave acts of heroism, and even challenges that would force any hero to retire a career of costume heroics, Spiderman has touched the lives of several comic fans with his history of fulfilling Uncle Ben’s valuable lessons of responsibilities.

No Caption Provided

But now, Spiderman holds a long history of controversy and being horribly mishandled by Marvel Comics after the event known as One More Day ended with a majority of comic fans completely shocked and outraged that ended with an Editor and Chief being recognized as one of the most hated men within the comic industry.

Yet, this isn’t another insight of OMD or a Joe Quesada rant, but a history of how Spiderman’s respected career went horribly wrong and controversial moment where Marvel suffered greatly. It actually started with the intent for Spiderman’s career to be completely restarted after Spiderman married Mary-Jane Watson in 1987, but it was in 1994 where Marvel ultimately decided to take the steps on making it happen when introducing one of the most confusing and controversial events of all time known as The Clone Saga.

As many comic fans remember, 1994 was also the same year where DC was hitting comic sales at a ridiculous rate with their events Batman: Knightfall and The Death of Superman. So the idea of changing Spiderman would be Marvel’s plan to reach the same level of popularity with the intent of controversy that would end with a successful outcome that would not give equal popularity, but also successfully restart Spiderman’s career as a single hero.

Marvel's first attempt for a new Spiderman
    Marvel's first attempt for a new Spiderman

Yet the Clone Saga found itself suffering greatly for several reasons, mostly with the fact that the event was horribly fatigued and having several key moments that were unnecessary and unexplained. Even though Marvel did successfully revamp Spiderman’s career by replacing him with a clone known as Ben Reilly, by that time Marvel had very little control over the event and their plan for a new Spiderman when fans began to horribly backlash against Marvel after it was published that Peter Parker was infact a clone the entire time and the shocking reaction that resulted him accidentally striking Mary Jane. With the Marvel staff changing and the Clone Saga getting out of hand, Marvel then decided to bring Peter Parker back from retirement and quickly put an end to the Clone Saga for good. The original idea for the Clone Saga to end was that both Mephisto and Judas Traveller (a pointless character that Marvel despised using) would go into a contest of sending Ben Reilly into the past to see if he would save Peter Parkers life in replacement of his own. But because of Marvel didn’t like the idea of mixing Mephisto with Spiderman in the same story, instead they added more fuel to the fire by roughly bringing back Norman Osborn from the dead as it was revealed of him being the mastermind of the whole damn event.

With Marvel failing both goals for the Clone Saga in 1996, 1998 would introduce Marvel’s second attempt to restart Spiderman’s career with John Byrnes, Spiderman: Chapter One. This attempt ultimately failed with 13 issues of controversy and outcries from the fanbase when Byrne made an attempt to alter Spiderman’s history. As if the lesson of the Clone Saga was not enough to learn that Spiderman’s lifestyle didn’t need any change, it was also a lesson Joe Quesada would later fail to follow.

Peter Parker Earth-1610
    Peter Parker Earth-1610

The idea for a new Spiderman was still seemed to be on Marvel’s top 5 to do list in 2000, and new Editor and Chief Joe Quesada decided to do something quite unique when adding a new Spiderman series from a different universe known as the Ultimate Universe. Thanks to Michael Bendis, Ultimate Spiderman quickly became one of Marvel’s most greatest creations and fan favorite series for the new millennium. But, by theory, this attempt was also probably an experiment for Marvels original idea to change the Earth-616 Spiderman’s history as well where the fanbase would probably cope with the idea that Spiderman would be better as a single hero and back at his original roots.

It would be after the event known as the Civil War, where Spiderman exposed his identity to the public where Marvel took the steps of setting the goal of restarting Spiderman’s entire career. With Spiderman now having a completely differently lifestyle, Joe Quesada decided to ultimately take that step of restarting Spiderman by introducing One More Day. With his ideas for a new Spiderman already sitting on his desk, Quesada was confident that Brand New Day would reach fan success as OMD would be a faded memory and an overdue goal that was finally accomplished.

Even though BND was successful with the idea of the Amazing Spiderman issues being released on a weekly basis. Comic fans (mostly Spiderman fans) didn’t sit well with the fact that Spiderman chose sell his marriage to Mephisto to save his dying Aunt May (who was supposed to be dead during the Clone Saga). This would mark a new chapter that will never be forgotten in comic history and will always follow Quesada’s name as the primary example of why he would be the most hated man in the comic industry.

Of course Quesada didn’t really ponder behind his Mahogany Desk as a watered down criminal mastermind who’s intent was to ruin the Marvel Universe’s most beloved hero. The true goal that Quesada wanted was to have Spiderman back at his roots as a single hero and for Quesada be a man of success when accomplishing something that Marvel has been striving to do since 1994. With the Spidergirl series from the MC2 universe displaying a world with a married Spiderman for those who prefer a married Spiderman and with fans having a positive reaction with the Spidergirl series and the Ultimate Spiderman series, these were two things that Quesada felt secured acceptance from the fanbase and proceed with the original idea of restarting Spiderman’s career.

By my guess, One Moment In Time was probably Quesada giving the finger to the Marvel fanbase before being replaced as Editor and Chief.

Personally, I find the fact that Marvel’s 14-year goal of having Spiderman return to his former career prior to his marriage was something unnecessary and completely oblivious to the fanbase. Before the Clone Saga, I held a respectful opinion for the fictional hero when reading how one of his greatest challenges is dealing with everyday issues that’s common in today’s world. Even as a husband myself, there are times where I would rather fight the likes of the Sinister Six rather than the IRS, Wife problems, or even retain a respectful career under the fear of being fired for something stupid. Yet Marvel just couldn’t accept SpiderMAN growing up and respectfully continue on the Spiderman legacy with any predecessor. It also baffles me how Marvel has sat on two great ideas that would respectfully retire Spiderman and have the Spiderman series continue on with another. But because of the fear of an outrage from the fanbase and possibly the tendency to lose comic sales in a time where competition is priority #1 rather than a respectful way of handling the most infamous heroes, there’s very little room for any decent storylines without having comic sales and the fans steer the future for our beloved heroes.

This blog is purely made for my collection rather than a poor attempt to stir a pointless controversy or gain attention. This blog isn't entirely a fact, but based on research and a theory. Any comments, questions, or critiques is well respected and thankyou for reading.

airbound_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1  Edited By airbound_dude

i think that Quesada overreached and payed the price for OMD, but Marvel payed a bigger price and let to many longtime fans (myself included) to nearly abandon reading Marvel Comics. I still buy from them but only in the Ultimate Marvel line and it's because i became disappointed with what Marvel has done since Civil War. Now with fans leaving in droves to DC and independent comics, I think that they are getting desperate to try to regain fans. Avengers VS X-men is their last attempt and if they fail ( i think it will) they may have to admit that they need to repair the damage done by Quesada and Axel Alonso. I know a LOT of fans of Amazing Spider Man that left after Civil War and OMD. Wooing them back will not be easy

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MTHarman

@airbound_dude said:

i think that Quesada overreached and payed the price for OMD, but Marvel payed a bigger price and let to many longtime fans (myself included) to nearly abandon reading Marvel Comics. I still buy from them but only in the Ultimate Marvel line and it's because i became disappointed with what Marvel has done since Civil War. Now with fans leaving in droves to DC and independent comics, I think that they are getting desperate to try to regain fans. Avengers VS X-men is their last attempt and if they fail ( i think it will) they may have to admit that they need to repair the damage done by Quesada and Axel Alonso. I know a LOT of fans of Amazing Spider Man that left after Civil War and OMD. Wooing them back will not be easy

After seeing Bucky Barnes false death in Fear Itself, that was probably the last Marvel comic that I touched.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By muhabba

When will they stop "killing" off their characters? Nobody has bought that since Superman came back. Ima all ready on the band wagon for my hatred of what's happened to Spider-man but I think "Avengers vs X-Men" is Marvel's last shot at reeling back in some fans. Plus, Pheonix, Jean Grey, dead and back and dead and back again. It's not looking promising.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Just seems like they have no clue at all that people are getting tired of this type of thing.

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MTHarman

@Omega Ray Jay said:

Just seems like they have no clue at all that people are getting tired of this type of thing.

When it comes to running a business that has a competitive nature to it, that respect that fans have for Marvel tends to be overlooked.

jaredbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jaredbright

Yeah, they've been doing this for years. They'll keep on doing it. There's no real point in reading comic with a poorly defined personality whose origin and morality have been screwed up. I think the end was Civil War 2 where they never had any idea what to do with their own premise. Not only was it a complete waste of sales and story possibilities, I felt they just didn't seem to care anymore. Seriously.

I know that sales dropped when the Ben Reilly thing came around, but in comparison it was pure gold. Spider-man was single. Aunt May was dead. He had a personality. When the changed it back, it may of hurt the book's credibility. I've always thought the first Reboot/Relaunch was the biggest mistake (at the time) and it's a mistake they continue to make.

AFter years of magic stories, I think the people at Marvel didn't care because they changed Spider-man every month. He's dying. He comes back to life with new powers. This stuff went on for months and includes the beginning of Civil War and that horrible Unmasking which (again) could of sold tons of copies for the hype it got. But they didn't seem to even care or even think about it at Marvel. Civil War didn't even have a plot. Characters just changed sides constantly. They had two big characters return from out of nowhere and turn out to not be the characters they were supposed to be.

I don't know how you consider BND a success. The only time Spider-man was number one was when they did that stupid retailer gimmick for issue '666'. Issue '666'? That's just awful. Everything reminds me of that stupid OMD thing. What a terrible idea and after they had promised fans so much about magical deaths that I'd think they have a hard time explaining what the idea was behind it. Then the UNmasking, the biggest thing to happen to Spider-man and it's ignored. I've read Spider-man a few times since then and I couldn't tell you who he supposed to be. Seriously. He doesn't seem like Peter Parker anymore. I don't know who he is. He's usually in the top 20, but Batman's beating him down. Batman's in the number one and two books every month now. Look in the books, there's Batman and a plot to go with him!

I even try to avoid comics with Spider-man in them. Which means, I won't be reading any Marvel soon I suppose. The only Spider-man comics I've bought in the last year were the 3 Avenging Spider-man issues that Joe Mad drew. Before the Unmasking, there was going to be a big Jeph LOeb written series drawn by the great J. Scott Campbell. Then they ruin the credibility of the book completly and it's years later and it will never come out. J. Scott's got his covers to do and I bet he makes a decent living doing it. Good for him. Maybe it would of been a good series, too. His stuff is killer. I even bought those 2 great issues of Wildsiderz and we all know that's not going to be done, either.

Marvel doesn't care about fans opinions. They don't. Next year they may reboot again somehow and Gwen Stacy will turn up alive or something. Who cares. It's over. It's very over.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#7  Edited By Deadcool

@MTHarman said:

After seeing Bucky Barnes false death in Fear Itself, that was probably the last Marvel comic that I touched.

Is that a bad thing?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Deadcool said:

@MTHarman said:

Is that a bad thing?

Yes, killing a character for no reason with no real intention to kill him is a bad thing. Granted, it was a good twist for all the disappointed fans when he came back, AND WITH AN ONGOING NO LESS, but still.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deadcool

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Deadcool said:

@MTHarman said:

Is that a bad thing?

Yes, killing a character for no reason with no real intention to kill him is a bad thing. Granted, it was a good twist for all the disappointed fans when he came back, AND WITH AN ONGOING NO LESS, but still.

I haz Questions:

Is there a reason to kill a comicbook character?

Also, Didn't we already know that he would came back again?

Is there any comicbook character that stays dead forever? (uncle Ben and Batman's Parents are not allowed answers).

Do yoy remember when they killed Superman for no damn reason but at the end he was alive and just in a coma?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Current Spider-Man>>>>The rest of the Marvel U.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Deadcool said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Deadcool said:

@MTHarman said:

Is that a bad thing?

I haz Questions:

Is there a reason to kill a comicbook character?

Also, Didn't we already know that he would came back again?

Is there any comicbook character that stays dead forever? (uncle Ben and Batman's Parents are not allowed answers).

Do yoy remember when they killed Superman for no damn reason but at the end he was alive and just in a coma?

1. If it's a big time hero, sales. If it's a side character, drama.
    2. No, we didn't when it happened. It came out of left field and was handled very, very poorly.
    3. That doesn't excuse killing them off for no reason.
    4. That doesn't excuse killing them off for no reason.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Vance Astro said:

Current Spider-Man>>>>The rest of the Marvel U.

Easily.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RoboShark

Bucky/Winter Soldier is the best thing about Fear Itself. Not necessarily his death but the issue with the COMING SOON: WINTER SOLDIER 2012 had me standing up.

Amazing Spider-Man has been a wreck the past few years.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@RoboShark said:

Disagreed.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deadcool

@InnerVenom123 said:

1. If it's a big time hero, sales. If it's a side character, drama.
    2. No, we didn't when it happened. It came out of left field and was handled very, very poorly.
    3. That doesn't excuse killing them off for no reason.
    4. That doesn't excuse killing them off for no reason.
    1. Bucky's dead provided good drama, to me at least, I don't know why people complanied for Fear Itself that much.
    2. Yes we did, Comic companies do the same since the 90's.
    3. There is no reason to kill a character, there never was a reason, they always kill characters, that doesn't matter, we caring about that is what they wanted anyway.
    RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RoboShark

@Vance Astro said:

@RoboShark said:

Disagreed.

655-657 of ASM were great. I will never read Big Time or Spider-Island again.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@RoboShark said:

655-657 of ASM were great. I will never read Big Time or Spider-Island again.

There were several good arcs before those.

@Deadcool said:

1. Bucky's dead provided good drama, to me at least, I don't know why people complanied for Fear Itself that much.

People complained because anyone who has been following Marvel events for the last five years have been repeatedly subjected to cop-outs and pointless plot twists.People have gotten tired of the gimmicks.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@Deadcool said:

Yes actually there is plenty of comicbook characters that have died and never returned....

Just from Marvel

The Wasp,Trickshot,Two-Gun Kid,Goliath,The Stepford Cuckoos,Ben Rielly,The Rose,Night Thrasher,Network,Miss America,Maggot,The Jester,Stilt-Man,Jack of Hearts,Iron Monger,Mysterio,Karen Page,Caiera,Getrude Yorkes,Hiroim,G.W. Bridge,Copycat,Mar-Vell,Genis-Vell,

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deadcool

@Vance Astro said:

People complained because anyone who has been following Marvel events for the last five years have been repeatedly subjected to cop-outs and pointless plot twists.People have gotten tired of the gimmicks.

I have heard different things, this one is new.

@Vance Astro said:

Yes actually there is plenty of comicbook characters that have died and never returned....

Just from Marvel

1) The Wasp,Trickshot,Two-Gun Kid,Goliath,The Stepford Cuckoos,Ben Reilly,The Rose,Night Thrasher,Network,Miss America,Maggot,The Jester,Stilt-Man,Jack of Hearts,Iron Monger,

2) Mysterio,Karen Page,Caiera,Getrude Yorkes,Hiroim,G.W. Bridge,Copycat, 3) Mar-Vell,Genis-Vell.

1. Do you mean Janet? I thought that she came back as a "celestial entity".
    2. Quentin Beck? He is already back.
    3. He would come back soon, Brubaker said that this is the real Mar-Vell.
    4. But yeah, I a not sure if Stilt-man would come back, pretty much I don't care... but Good job.
    KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By KainScion

@MTHarman: that was a bad idea. you havent read any uncanny x-force? winter soldier? wolverine and the x-men?

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MTHarman

@KainScion said:

@MTHarman: that was a bad idea. you havent read any uncanny x-force? winter soldier? wolverine and the x-men?

The only time I would touch an X-men comic, is if it's set in the early 90's. Only thing I would know about any X-character would only be from what I've read online and in my huge stash of Marvel Encyclopedias.

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MTHarman

@Deadcool said:

@MTHarman said:

Is that a bad thing?

It was more like an unnecessary thing from what personally believe to be for the wrong reasons.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@Deadcool said:

@Vance Astro said:

I have heard different things, this one is new.

You haven't heard on CV of all places that people are tired of the gimmicks? The death gimmick (we kill a character off for suspense but bring them back shortly after) being one of them?

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deadcool

@MTHarman said:

It was more like an unnecessary thing from what personally believe to be for the wrong reasons.

I see, I don't empathize your reasons, but is ok...

@Vance Astro said:

You haven't heard on CV of all places that people are tired of the gimmicks? The death gimmick (we kill a character off for suspense but bring them back shortly after) being one of them?

Actually I thought that people hated Fear Itself because the characterization, before this I have heard that people hated Fear Itself because:

1. In JMS's Thor run Odin said that this new world wasn't linked with prophecies.
    2. Thor had already killed the Midgard Snake.
    3. Spider-man gave up.
    4. Tony got Drunk.
    5. They killed Bucky just because they wanted Steve back as the Captain America.

Those are the reasons that I have heard before, but as I said this one is new.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.