Marvel Says, "I Want To Buy It."

Posted by inferiorego (24464 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's something you may never hear about or see again, Lettersofnote reported on a Mr. Randy Schueller, who back in 1982 suggested an idea to Marvel that changed Spider-Man forever:

The letter, which boasts a stunning letterhead and simply begins 'I want to buy it', was sent in response to an idea Randy had submitted to Shooter's offices; an idea which resulted in Spider-Man donning a black costume for the first time in issue 8 of Secret Wars . Over the years this evolved to become Venom , the symbiote which starred in 2007's Spider-Man 3 . Randy was happily paid $220.00 for his input.

$220 all for asking Marvel to put Spider-Man in a black suit? Awesome. It's such a small, simple request, and Marvel listened to one single fan and rolled with it. Sadly, I don't think things like this would ever happen now-a-days. Could it happen? Maybe, but I feel doubtful. The best part of this letter is that Marvel even offered Randy a shot at writing the script to one of Marvel's biggest mini-series, Secret Wars. I give major "props" to Editor-in-Chief, at the time, for giving a random fan a shot. Think about how big and popular Black-suit Spider-Man became. He's still a huge deal, and all of this because of one fan's suggestion.

I'm going to try this myself, here, but never send it to Marvel because I'm entirely too lazy. Anyone else that wants to try this here, go nuts. I'd love to read them. Here it goes.

Dear Marvel,
My name is Mat, and I've been a fan of your books since I was a kid. After reading Randy Schueller's recent letter suggesting Spider-Man in a black suit, I've got a suggestion of my own! Over the years, we've seen  a Grey Hulk, Green Hulk, Red Hulk, and even a Blue Hulk. I think you guys should introduce a Yellow Hulk, but he should be very cowardly. That would be cool. Please pay me $220 (1982 rate, please take into account inflation) I take checks only or a replica of Captain America's shield, which goes for about that price.

I love you,
Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring

By the way, below is Marvel's address if you actually want to send them a letter. I suggest sending an actual letter if you want to do this, don't e-mail it. E-mail=Boring. Real mail=Awesome.

Marvel Entertainment, Inc.

417 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Staff
#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL I know that story! 

I wanna find that guy and thank him bigtime for coming up with something that led to my fav character being born! ^_^
#2 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. 

#3 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

He got screwed out of that deal  lol.

#4 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2053 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123:  
Venom is cool
#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
"He got screwed out of that deal  lol. "

LOL think how much money he COULD'VE made. xD
#6 Posted by Riezner (417 posts) - - Show Bio

That's pretty awesome. Glad to see a fan get a chance like that. InferioEgo, do you know if this guy did in fact go on to have a part in the scripting?

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's sweet.   

Only in years to come, the sons & daughters of Mr Schueller will try to sue Marvel for the rights to Venom ;p

#8 Posted by G-Man (33964 posts) - - Show Bio

Staff Online
#9 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about how many times this guy told his fanboy friends "No really, the black suit Spider-man was my idea.  No really, they paid a bunch of money for the idea too.  No really I have the letter right here, or maybe here,  I can't find it right now, but I swear it's my idea..........and they paid me a bunch of money for it too.  I bought my Honda with it"
#10 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, I want that letterhead for my office 
...of course it wouldn't make much sense and everyone who received correspondence from us would be scratching their heads...but whatev lol
#11 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
"
"
he looks like his liver is failing
#12 Posted by danhimself (22539 posts) - - Show Bio

cool story but not one I would use to try and pick up chicks at the bar

#13 Posted by Niko (34 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to send in a completely random idea just to get a letter with that letterhead. It's pretty awesome.

#14 Posted by inferiorego (24464 posts) - - Show Bio
@Riezner said:
" That's pretty awesome. Glad to see a fan get a chance like that. InferioEgo, do you know if this guy did in fact go on to have a part in the scripting? "
He ended up writing a script, but Marvel didn't like it. 

@G-Man said:
"
"

My idea! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Jaundice Hulk Smash!
Staff
#15 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor man lol his loss their gain lol well that worked out great in the end lol
#16 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't encourage anyone sending ideas via a blind submission format.  Nothing personal but that's a bad idea.  Marvel ( or any other company) can take it and use whatever anyone sends all the while claiming they never received such idea.  Not saying Marvel would do that, just stating that possibility exists and that's how lawsuits get started.  

Also, I distinctly recall Marvel and DC both stating they don't accept blind submissions for ideas, writing, artwork.  Unless they've changed that policy, that's the last I heard.

#17 Posted by inferiorego (24464 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: I'm still sending them my sub-par ideas, and then crying myself to sleep for failing at life.
Staff
#18 Posted by drawme (423 posts) - - Show Bio

That´s hilarious.

#19 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

@Inferiorego:  Aw, come on, now.  That's my schtick; you've no idea.  Regardless, I was going to mention I think Yellow Hulk is an Epic Win.   Its not sub-par!  Made me laugh is all I know.

Every time Banner takes a leak, his ability to run fast increases as he becomes the Whizzer version of the Hulk!!  It can happen.  

#20 Posted by Anderson: Agent of SMITH (234 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"I think it's sweet.    Only in years to come, the sons & daughters of Mr Schueller will try to sue Marvel for the rights to Venom ;p "

Haha- ...sigh.
#21 Posted by CaptObtuse (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh!  Red Hulk?  Green Hulk?  Grey Hulk? Blue and yellow Hulks?  Can a Black Hulk be far behind?  And a Blackest Planet Hulk mini-series?

#22 Posted by G-Man (33964 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: I "made" that image a year or so ago but I can't remember specifically why.  Maybe it was when Red Hulk was just announced.
Staff Online
#23 Posted by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Black was his standard costume, he looks so much better
#24 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaptObtuse said:
" Ooh!  Red Hulk?  Green Hulk?  Grey Hulk? Blue and yellow Hulks?  Can a Black Hulk be far behind?  And a Blackest Planet Hulk mini-series? "
There was a black Hulk!
#25 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm I never knew about this story , interesting.
#26 Posted by Jamiracles (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Get your Yellow Hulk, an additional Pink Hulk in a skirt and you'll have Mighty Morphin Ranger Hulks to go with the Red, Blue and green.

#27 Posted by Zerosub33 (52 posts) - - Show Bio
@PhantomKnight: I think your idea is awesome. Seriously you should submit it.
#28 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

..............The bat signal was my idea.............pay up.
#29 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I created I-Kon, the Conner Kent (Kon-El) and ION hybrid, and I'm yet to see that appear in a DC book, which I'm royally pissed about.

#30 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

cool story thanks for posting it 

i also like the idea of a cowardly yellow hulk.  maybe he becomes more invisible the scareder he gets.
#31 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't know that!

#32 Posted by Journey Into Chaos (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Awsome. I think i might try something like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.