Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Marvel Kills Spider-Man

• 174 results
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Was tempted to buy this today...very, VERY tempted...

UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By UnosInfinitos

I'm skeptical they did bring gwen back

jaazzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By jaazzman

I just finished reading #160, and for some reason, this is the first comic in quite some time to strike a nerve with me...but in a good way. This is the first time I've read a comic where someone died, and my first thought was not, when will he be revived? I know I won't be surprised if he does come back, this is a comic book we're talking about, and everyone who dies comes back at some point (even if it does take 50 years...) but this death had more of an impact on me. 
    When I was 11, I went to my first comic convention / show, which was much smaller than they are now, and for one reason or another, I'd picked up the Dark Phoenix Saga Trade. It was one of my first real experiences with a comic outside of Archie or the odd GI Joe. I was enthralled. This book was spectacular. When I reached the end, and Jean Grey died, I couldn't believe it. About a year later, I spent a month in the hospital. My cousin brought me some comics to help kill the time...Uncanny X-Men 225-227, The Fall of the Mutants. That was it...I was hooked. By the time I quit collecting in 1994 (comics were silly at 18...) I had amassed quite the collection. I'd seen the return of Jean Grey. I had seen the death (and return) of Superman, Bruce Wayne was no longer Batman (Knightquest had just started) and even the X-Men had "died" and returned. The stigma that no one ever "dies" in comics had proven itself quite true. At the end of the year, I'd sold off my entire collection (comics weren't "cool" when I was 18). It's 15 years later, and for one reason or another, I was drawn back into comics. I got ahold of some Unlimited X-Men books and LOVED the new portrayal of the characters. I loved it so much, I've managed to every single issue from the Ultimate Universe, even Ultimate FF, and I HATED FF when I was younger. Yes, its still a comic, but I found the Ultimate universe to be a little more "permanent." When something happened, it tended to stay that way. Wolverine is dead...seriously, if anyone else was going to be brought back, it was Wolverine (Ultimate X doesn't count...only 4 issues? Image comics wasn't this bad back when I quit...but I digress.) When I first say Marvel marketing the "death" of Spiderman in the Ultimate universe, I was drawn right back into 1993 and the death of Superman. Was this another gimmick? Probably...but I bought them all anyway. So here I am, reading the final act. We all knew how this was going to end...but for some reason, I felt a little...sad. Peter Parker, after 160 issues, finally seemed, content. Gwen, Mary Jane...and most importantly, Aunt May were safe. There was nothing left to do. After all the characters I've seen die and come back, I don't feel like the Ultimate PP will be back anytime soon. The entire Ultimate Spiderman run has been, my favorite by any writer, and I was a huge Clarement fan back in the day (I still love my X-Men...) and this one issue made me reflect on my comic history, right back to that hospital bed in 1988. Ok...I'm done.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By crusader8463

Comic books confuse me. Why the hell do you guys think it's ok to spoil something as huge as this before the dam comic even comes out? The front dam page of this site is giant spoiler for comics. Why would anyone want to come to this site when half the time the top news story headline is a giant spoiler for the stories you are trying to read?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#155  Edited By PowerHerc

No one is immune to the comic book 'death gimmick' it would seem.

Retro_Clone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Retro_Clone
    ahh in a year or so they will find  a way to bring him back..
    waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By waruikumo

After all the awesome build up, the arc and character goes out with a whimper. 

After all the stuff parker has been through a truck explosion does him in.  Although I should mention, I am not convinced he "actually" died (molecule copy anyone). 

I am pretty disappointed in Marvel, they have the regular universe character that has for the most part been a HOT MESS since Stan Lee jumped off, yet they kill a character who maybe the most iconic character to a generation. 

There's being different for the right reasons and then there's being different for no reason.  I think this falls into the latter category. 

To me this is proof positive Marvel is asleep at the wheel when it comes to managing their characters and continuity.   

Oh well, I wonder if the twist in all this will come with Issue one or in the next ult book.  As petty as it sound I am likely dropping all of my Marvel subscription titles with the exception of Herc, and New Mutants till Abnett & Lanning move on.

darknight100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By darknight100

maybe this is just me being out of loop on this but why did they 86 him?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#159  Edited By Trodorne
    @TheBuck said:
    Does anyone truly care? I mean it's a comic death so he will be back in six months tops.
    Ultimates universe is not like the main universe as when characters die they stay dead. Im sure you know this from reading at least some of the Ultimates titles.

This is the type of thing that I personally like to see in comics. Death and progression of the universe without said character. With what we had with Buck and Dick Greyson, though only temporary was a great thing where a former sidekick takes up the mantle of a mentor. 

Though I do agree with Buck that there are many who do not care and just see this as a stunt. While I do not agree he will be back in six months, I think that these publishers should take the concept of Death more seriously.
    gridlock464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By gridlock464

@jaazzman  
    awesome post man! I felt that way when I read "Lions, Tigers & Bears" took me back to WHY I feel in love with comics as a little kid remembering. 
    TheBuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#161  Edited By TheBuck
    @Trodorne
    Yeah I understand death is more permanent in the Ultimates line but Spidy is Marvels biggest or 2nd biggest cash cow  and you just don't keep your cash cow dead. If in six months we don't have him back or have word that he's coming back I will be quit shocked.
    Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Telcalipoca

im not keen on having someone taking up the sipderman mantle 

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#163  Edited By 04nbod

Still better than Thor getting raped by Hela

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

It was a sad ending

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#165  Edited By Timandm
    @thesilverbeatle said:
    I must be a huge dork (which im proud of) cuz i got chills when i saw the picture of Peter and uncle Ben.
    I'm not sure "dork" is the right word here... I think 'nerd' is the word you're looking for... and there are LOTS of us that feel the same way... Uncle Ben rules...
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Timandm
    @ssejllenrad said:
    He'll stay dead how long?
    Two, three years tops.... Until, a clone will fill in...  Then they can kill the clone off and bring back the original...
    Avatar image for thesilverbeatle
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@Timandm:

Yeah but the death of ULTIMATE Spiderman hit me pretty hard.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Timandm
    @thesilverbeatle said:

@Timandm:

Yeah but the death of ULTIMATE Spiderman hit me pretty hard.

I can remember when the death of a comic book hero had that effect on me....  Captain Marvel was the first Super Hero I recall reading about that died...  The story was intense and sad.  And I remember the FIRST time Jean Grey died;  I was sad about that...  I was even sad the SECOND time she died...  Then I stopped caring about Jean dying....  Of course, then SUPER MAN died... then Batman... (or was Batman first?)  then a number of others... BUT they ALL came back... They just KEEP coming back...

Kitty Pryde just died and came back in the same ISSUE...  Strong Guy did that in X-Factor about 2 issues ago...

After about the fifth time a character you care about dies and comes back, the impact of their death just starts to wear off...  Seriously, think about how many of them have died AND come back... and many of them have done it more than once...  Captain America,  Spider-Man, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Thor (and all of Asgard), Iron Man, Super Man, Batman, Robin, The Flash, Charles Xavier, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Angel, Wolverine, Colossus, Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, Mirage, Karma, Cannonball, Cypher, Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Magneto, Deadpool, Norma Osborn, Harry Osborn, Madelyn Pryor, Bucky, Betty Ross, Blink.... and the LIST GOES ON...

Now, I've been reading comics since BEFORE most of them died their first time....  So, after seeing them die and come back SO MANY TIMES....  It just has NO effect accept to make me ask, "How long till they come back to life?"
    Avatar image for thesilverbeatle
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@Timandm:

I agree. Part of me wishes that when a good character dies in a heroic and meaningful way... that they just stay dead.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#170  Edited By keith71_98

Not a big Ultimate Universe fan or Bendis fan but this story arc was pretty impressive.
    Avatar image for playdohsrepublic
    playdohsrepublic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about Spider-man... He's just a costume. It's Peter's journey that has always grabbed me and kept me reading. That's why I hate that there is going to be a new spider-man in the coming months. Whomever takes up the mantle will be inferior simply because they only have half the ingredients for a great character... Or worse, he'll be a cheap copy of the original which totally negates the purpose of killing Peter off to begin with. Now, some will say, what if he is an awesome, entertaining and engaging character on the level of Peter Parker? To that I say, then why waste him as a Spider-man replacement. Create something new! God knows that comics could use something new. 

I just want to express my disappointment that just as Peter was reaching a point in his career where he was becoming the hero he was always meant to be they killed him. I suppose it's sort of poetic, but it leaves me with one less  book to read each month. :(

Kurolegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Kurolegacy

I had grown up with the Ultimate Universe and ever since I had found out about it, I liked it. It's the fact that I like it that a lot of the changes since Ultimatum have been painful and have begun to alienate me from the line. Originally the purpose of the Ultimate Universe had been to create a universe not weighed down by 50+ years of continuity but ever since Ultimatum happened, that seems to have changed to being different just for the sake of being different. It seems that any time that a change has happened lately, it has been some kind of negative change rather than a positive one. It'd be great if Ultimate Marvel actually got their own type of Heroic Age, some end to the darkness that was brought about from Ultimatum.

I honestly don't see why Ultimate Marvel keeps on killing off its A listers only to replace them issues later with someone whose powers are so similar that they may as well be a clone. Thus far we've got Jimmy, Derek, Teddy, Red Wasp and now a New Spider-Man. I read comics to be able to read stories about my favorite characters not people who've been put there to replace them as I never find a replacement to be as good as the original.

But since this is about Spider-Man, I'll talk about him as well. In spite of the fact that I hate to see the Ultimate friendly neighborhood Spider-Man go, I hate even more that they're so fast to replace him. It feels kinda insulting to his name that he's died and about 2 months later, there's someone else running around calling themselves Spider-Man. Seems to me to show just how well Peter was respected, that he could just be replaced quickly should anything happen to him. Even more so, I don't understand why they're trying something again that had proven not to work before in having someone take the place of Peter as Spider-Man. Here's hoping that this is one of the rare deaths in the Ultimate Universe that isn't permanent because I'd hate for the Ultimate Spider-Man comic to die from people not taking well to the new Spider-Man.

KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#173  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator

@waruikumo said:

After all the awesome build up, the arc and character goes out with a whimper. After all the stuff parker has been through a truck explosion does him in. Although I should mention, I am not convinced he "actually" died (molecule copy anyone). I am pretty disappointed in Marvel, they have the regular universe character that has for the most part been a HOT MESS since Stan Lee jumped off, yet they kill a character who maybe the most iconic character to a generation. There's being different for the right reasons and then there's being different for no reason. I think this falls into the latter category. To me this is proof positive Marvel is asleep at the wheel when it comes to managing their characters and continuity. Oh well, I wonder if the twist in all this will come with Issue one or in the next ult book. As petty as it sound I am likely dropping all of my Marvel subscription titles with the exception of Herc, and New Mutants till Abnett & Lanning move on.

Dude, Spidey got shot, and he was bleeding out while he fought Sinister 6-1, then he fought super-charged Osborn, and then a truck blew up in his face. You are saying that he should of survived that? His healing factor isn't on the bar with Wolverine you know.

Narok24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#174  Edited By Narok24

You know, I would act really, really butthurt over this, but seeing him with Uncle Ben . . . hard for me to say anything bad about that.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#175  Edited By Strider1992

@Narok24: I can agree with that and also the panel with Spidey, Wolverine and Cyclops having a party in heaven was pretty funny. Anyway apparently they might be bringing back Peter (could be the Scorpion clone though and not the original) as Spider-man. Marvel released a teaser poster entitled Spider-Men with both Peters and Miles Spider-man icon on it. So we'll soon see what that brings.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.