Marvel Kills Spider-Man

• 175 results
Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ultimate Spider-Man book help launch a whole new universe for Marvel, and tomorrow (Wednesday, June 22nd), its star bites the bullet. Peter Parker will die in issue #160 of Ultimate Spider-Man bringing an end to the 10 year run of the character. This will end the sold out "Death of Spider-Man" story arc, and it will set up an all new Spider-Man book.

In a recent press release, Marvel Senior Editor, Mark Paniccia, had this to say:

10 years ago, Brian Bendis and Mark Millar changed the way people saw super heroes with the birth of the Ultimate Universe. With ‘Death of Spider-Man’ the two have done it again, creating a story just as big, and something that would really resonate with fans... But Peter’s death doesn’t signal the end of their larger plan—it’s the start of one of the most ambitious stories you’ve ever read in comics.

Marvel Editor-in Chief, Alex Alonso, explained that this may be the end of Peter Parker, and it will raise the stakes in the Ultimate Universe.

We’ve never seen a world without Spider-Man, a world without Peter Parker, so his death is a significant event for the Ultimate Comics Universe and we’re going to see how quickly it changes everything. Readers are in for something very new…and surprising because everything that happens in Ultimate Spider-Man #160 and Ultimate Comics Fallout sets the stage for even bigger stories.

After Ultimate Spider-Man #160, Marvel will be releasing, in July, Ultimate Comics Fallout, which will take a look at what happens to the Ultimate Universe when Peter Parker isn't around anymore.

This will also debut the new Spider-Man in the Ultimate Universe and Marvel states that we'll all be very surprised with who is under the mask.

Ultimate Spider-Man has become quite the iconic character with readers. Not only was he a major part of the Ultimate Universe, but he's also had games and an upcoming movie modeled after him.

Make sure to check out the final Ultimate Spider-Man issue, well final Peter Parker as Ultimate Spider-Man, at your local comic book shop tomorrow.

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #160

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art by MARK BAGLEY

ON SALE TOMORROW, JUNE 22!

Update

Here's the spoiler from USA Today.

Staff
#1 Posted by sladewilson30 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

why am i the first to comment, anyways, marvel sucks for cancelling him
#2 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna see a body this time, then I'll believe it.

#3 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

So Ultimatium wasn't enough?

#4 Posted by batarang123 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe it.
#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12700 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, nobody stays dead in comics....silly Bendis

#6 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9004 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited to read this issue

#7 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be very interesting to see, from the Ultimate Universe. But still really do not like what The U.U. have become, I know it's suppose to be different, but this is very different. Most Iconic Characters in the Universe has been killed off, now Peter? Well I am just wondering who will be the New Spider-Man, I've seen the new out fit, and it is going to to be another boy with the same physique as Peter.

#8 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that image with peter and Ben, "You did good, kid."

#9 Posted by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Ultimates so who really cares? I say let the Ultimate Punisher go around the Marvel Universe and off all the other Ultimate characters in a 100 issue extravaganza. THAT would make for good reading. AND it would eliminate a comic series that is single-handedly responsible for warping the good names of Marvel heroes and villains alike.

and this time, let those characters STAY dead!

#10 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

Been loving the "Death of Spider-Man" arc and the way in which its been interpreted. Instead of the 616 arcs where similar words have been thrown around all that really happened is Spider-Man gets worn down by multiple villains and such but in the end he comes out on top. 

In this arc Bendis and Millar have done a superb job of showcasing just how great a hero Peter Parker really is.......and its great that it transitions so well from the previous arc of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers "training" him. I'm interested to see if this arc fundamentally changes the way in which Steve Rogers is written in the Ultimate Universe because the guy had some really harsh things to say to Parker and only a few minutes later the kid saves his life and then goes on to fight his greatest enemies wounded. The 616 version of Steve has had a long respect for Peter because of the hero he is so it should be interesting to see if the ultimate Steve gets the same opinion after this. 

But I don't really think he'll stay dead permanently. I don't think we'll see his spirit fighting back to its body like what happened when 616 Spidey "died" at the hands of Kraven, but it would be interesting to see Bendis and Millar's take on "The Other" for his return.
#11 Posted by AlKusanagi (602 posts) - - Show Bio

Maximum Clonage 2.0?

#12 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Doomsday

#13 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

First they killed their marriage 
Then they killed another spider man 

fvck you marvel

#14 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@alkusanagi said:

Maximum Clonage 2.0?

Bendis hates the clone saga so probably not.
#15 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4706 posts) - - Show Bio

It will probably be Flash Thompson, minus the bowlcut. Ah, shucks. He can keep the bowlcut.

#16 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

Ladies and gentlemen! Spiderman is dead! long live spiderman!

#17 Posted by VanAce (139 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro said:
It is a very nice image indeed.
#18 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

In Ultimate Universe no problem !!!

#19 Posted by Nuec_Sol (188 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read any Ultimate book. Do characters always come back to life in Ultimate like in the MU.

#20 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

that picture with uncle ben makes the death seem way more real than your average comic death

#21 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio

[snore]

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (57957 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY :D Now for the 616-version. 

BB

#23 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm engaged. Definitely wanna look at what happens but thank god its not the Amazing Spider-Man. He better not die some stupid way like by some punks with guns. I would hate Marvel for that. But knowing them, they probably will do that. =/

#24 Posted by Black_Kn1ght (270 posts) - - Show Bio

most people in the ultimate universe are dying

#25 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro said:
same here. 
I believe it was called 6 months back that Ultimate Spiderman was going to die. 
#26 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7702 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro said:
Yeah that's really nice.
#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis strikes again! That death scene/story was just pathetic. The Green Goblin kills him? What the hell?

#28 Posted by zzax (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Soooooooo 

Marvel supposedly starts the Ultimate line because it was more user-friendly for new readers since it did not have all that pesky continuity (Peter Parker being married etc). But now, if you pick up Ultimate Spider-man, it won't even be Peter Parker wearing the mask. So there goes that whole premise of streamlined titles. 

I guess Marvel will have to start the Ultimate Ultimate line in order reboot the characters and make it user friendly again.  Bleh

#29 Posted by ninjadude853 (270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nuec_Sol: Not as often. From what i've seen, it's happened with Ultimate Beast, Thor, Green Goblin, and Gwen Stacy. But usually when characters in the ultimate universe die they stay dead, Black Widow, Kingpin, Gwen's dad, Gambit, Scarlet Witch. Hell,
died recently, and he was a HUGE influence in Ultimate Marvel. I'm pretty sure they killed off Reed Richards too, and Green Goblin just axed Doc Ock. Aunt May just shot Electro like, 3 times. Not to mention all those people they killed off in Ultimatum. 

Bottom line: resurrection isn't as common in the Ultimate universe as it is in the mainstream one.
#30 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@ninjadude853 said:
Bottom line: resurrection isn't as common in the Ultimate universe as it is in the mainstream one.
But Bendis ruining everything is! Stupid douche >_>
#31 Posted by Jake Fury (18407 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I missing something? What's the point of killing off a character only to bring in a replacement who....uhhhhh.....well.....ummmm....*rubs my chin* takes on the same guy's identity?
#32 Posted by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nuec_Sol said:

I never read any Ultimate book. Do characters always come back to life in Ultimate like in the MU.

Nope, dead stays dead (unless you are Gwen Stacey) 
#33 Posted by ozker1127 (46 posts) - - Show Bio
@sladewilson30
Well its going to be relaunched with Brian Michael Bendis just not with Peter :-(

#34 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

They really need to stop killing characters.... then again its ultimate Spider-man and I lost interest in 2002.
#35 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8071 posts) - - Show Bio

i hope Eddie Brock takes his place as venom
#36 Posted by roboticjesus (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Really disappointed at the USA Today spoiler. Lots of us knew it was coming, but still...

#37 Edited by gordocomics (113 posts) - - Show Bio

ultimate spiderman is my most consistenly favorite series and ultimate peter parker is easily my favorite comic book character. I find him very relatable and loveable and i think its cool that since i've been reading comics (i started at 13, i'm now 16) i've been around the same age as my favorite character, which is part of what makes him so great to me. Death of Spider-Man has been really great so far and as much as i love the character and the book i think issue 160 will be good. It's really gonna hit my heart, and i honestly think i might shed a couple tears. that picture quesada drew of uncle ben and peter is just so touching. this is a big deal for me. unfortunately, i may not be able to pick up any comics from now until august, so i'll have to find a way to pick this one up in particular.

#38 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3531 posts) - - Show Bio

Are any superheroes left alive in the Ultimate Universe? Jeez, I think Jean might be the only surviving X-Man member, but the other heroes had a rough patch during Ultimatum. Not sure if any teams actually exist at this point.

#39 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nuec_Sol: I only read the first five issues of Ultimate Spider-man. I was more of a harcore Ulitmate Avengers fan until Loeb messed that up. So far the people that have been killed have stayed dead.  

Which is kind of ironic that all these people died and Jean Grey hasnt died yet...not from anything I have read to where she died and came back.  
#40 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man dies???  LOLOLOL!!!!  As if...  It's the MARVEL UNIVERSE, the only one who STAYS dead is Uncle Ben...

So, Spider-Man dies thus ending the series... and then Marvel launches their NEW series, "Spider-Man..."   uh-huh....  And we're supposed to be 'surprised' who is under the mask???

Seriously folks, can any of you think of a significant Marvel Character that has died and STAYED dead????

#41 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

T_T

#42 Posted by nick7913 (104 posts) - - Show Bio
  What's the point of polybagging if you're going to make a press release about it THE DAY BEFORE. And you know what? Shame on you ComicVine for not putting in a spoiler free tag. I wanted to actually get a chance to read this before checking the sites but the title came through on my RSS feed so it was spoiled anyway. Boo to you for ruining it for everybody... 
P.S. And to preempt any smart-ass comments: Yes, the arc is called Death of Spider-man but at least there was some nice ambiguity about whether it would be the end of just Peter Parker's career or his life. In any case, spoiler tag!
#43 Posted by The Stegman (23989 posts) - - Show Bio

i actually like ultimate Spider-man more than his 616 counterpart...matter of fact, HE'S the one who got me liking spidey at all, i have all of the hardcover collected editions and this is a serious blow to me as a fan...why do the good die so young??..that being said..he better STAY DEAD, or else it will tarnish everything he died for

#44 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: It's seem like He and leob are playing a game of hide and seek. Loeb creates a crappy superhero that doesn't make sense. Bendis creates a crappy storyline that tries to kill them and somehow kill three other superheroes that arent lame.  I guess he is having too much fun doing that rather than continuing with Peter Parker.
#45 Edited by Emperormeister734 (808 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooooooooooo ,now whose going to replace him, HE CAN'T DIE

#46 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperormeister734: Different Spider Man dude
#47 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
Bendis strikes again! That death scene/story was just pathetic. The Green Goblin kills him? What the hell?
Obviously it was Batman. In disguise. And under mind control.  

LOL JK.... it was Venom.
#49 Posted by xmicahx (8 posts) - - Show Bio

he finally takes a bullet he cant dodge. severs his spinal chord. the final death......

and then we find out the bullet actually just sends him through time reliving his life and he comes back just in time for the next issue! 
with a new costume!

#50 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
Obviously it was Batman. In disguise. And under mind control.   LOL JK.... it was Venom.
If it was Venom, I'd be fine with it. Ultimate Goblin is just such a s*** villain. 

@FortressoftheMoon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt: It's seem like He and leob are playing a game of hide and seek. Loeb creates a crappy superhero that doesn't make sense. Bendis creates a crappy storyline that tries to kill them and somehow kill three other superheroes that arent lame.  I guess he is having too much fun doing that rather than continuing with Peter Parker.

It all makes sense now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.