Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Marvel : Here's a married Peter Parker.With a kid.Are you happy, now?!!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Edited By PunyParker

First of all, hi.

I am back to reviewing(sorta) because i felt that this opinion has to be written.

I stopped reading Spider-Man after Spider-Verse, for obvious reasons, and i am still deciding on if i read the new series, which is just horendous as a concept, in my honest opinion, and the writer helming Spider-Man doesn't help my case, so we'll see.

Secondly, this is not an issue 5 review, it's an opinion on the story, in general.I just put issue 5, because it's the last one.

Now, the story, as a story, is decent.Okay.

But the importance of it, in non-existant.And that's what i care about, in THAT kind of story.It's a Secret Wars tie-in.

It's a What If, random little tale, of Peter Parker being married to Mary Jane Watson (CRAZY concept, amirite?!) and having a little kid, called Annie, which i find really great, as a matter of fact.To all of you who shout "SHE SHOULDA BEEN CALLED MAY" , i remind you that MJ is a part of this family too, and her Aunt was as significant to her, as May was to Pete.So there.

The story is full of "responsible" moments, and doubts, and dilemmas, and everything.Again, i can't complain, it's a good What If story to read.

But it has ABSOLUTELY no impact on the NEW and IMPROVED SpOck 2.0 rich Spider-Man, who travels all around the globe, has speedy cars, and a truckload of money.And a fancy new suit, with glowing eyes.Stop me if you get it why this is at least a tad wrong....

As one of my friends pointed out, this seems like a Swan Song to the happilly married Peter Parker.It's a 5 issue story, to make marriage fanboys shut the hell up AND KILL THE BATMAN!!......sorry, got carried away...was playing Arkham Origins earlier, Joker's in my head all day.

As i was saying, it's a story to please the fans of the married Peter Parker, and as a matter of fact, it was a trick story.When i was saying in the forums that "It's Marvel, this is gonna be a quick story, and they'll get back to Spider-Man being whatever-Slott-seen-on-Doctor Who-lately Spider-Man." i was getting mugged off, and called a hater.

Well, how do you guys feel now?!.....thought so.

Spider-Man is going to hell.At least Peter does.

With Miles having a title called "SPIDER-MAN" now, and Mary freaking Jane, being a regular in Iron freaking Man, it's all going to hell.

I know i'm gonna be called a hater, a racist, a misoginist, that i fear change, and whatever the hell you can think of, because this is the internet, and logic comes last in any conversation, but the fact is that i love this character, and the people around him, and i just don't want for him to dissapear in the dust of some boy-men who don't know what to do with him, anymore.

Dan Slott's been on the character TOO LONG, (that's an extremely polite way of putting it) and Nick Lowe is a massive X-Men fan......that's it.

I pray for Feige to do good with the character, so maybe we get something better with him in the comicbooks.

Plus, the story's called "Renew Your Vows" ......we didn't get anything on this front.Not even a ceremony.I will die not knowing if they did renew them, or not.....OH WAIT...............

It doesn't matter.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zarius

The vow that was renewed was Peter's no-kill code, which he broke in the first issue when he took out Venom, where as in the concluding issue he took out Regent and saved Annie without killing him. It was a trick title, but a clever one.

It's not the marriage's swansong either. Peter and MJ are going to remain a couple in the daily strip regardless.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman approves something i wrote.
    I can die in piece.

Thanks, man.
    I know i express both our opinions.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

The vow that was renewed was Peter's no-kill code, which he broke in the first issue when he took out Venom, where as in the concluding issue he took out Regent and saved Annie without killing him. It was a trick title, but a clever one.

It's not the marriage's swansong either. Peter and MJ are going to remain a couple in the daily strip regardless.

This whole thing i wrote was more of an opinion on the direction Spider-Man is heading.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Spiderman. Ironman is taking his place because of the MCU.

I'm really starting to hate the MCU, I really am.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Spiderman. Ironman is taking his place because of the MCU.

I'm really starting to hate the MCU, I really am.

Don't, Spider-Man's coming, and i would really be okay with the whole Iron Man, if not for MJ.
    And as i said before, we can't blame Bendis on that....

???

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I feel for you SPidey Fans.

~MiB

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hardcore Spider-Man fan and I approve this message.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PunyParker
    roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Renew Your Vows...... I'm also interested in seeing what happens with Parker post Secret Wars

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:

I liked Renew Your Vows...... I'm also interested in seeing what happens with Parker post Secret Wars

I never said it was bad.
    I said that it's not important, and that's what i loathed.

And we're all interested, but frustrated.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:

I never said it was bad.

Elements from everything in Secret Wars are important, that's been said time and time again.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:

I never said it was bad.

I got you, I get the same feeling from some other Secret Wars tie ins too, but there seem to be a few dropping hints about what's coming. I took the ending as we may see more of the Parker family, I forget the phrasing but it was something along the lines of we'll be seeing them again. I'm still somewhat new to comic books, so a lot of these changes are cool to me (I STILL don't get the hate for the new Thor). As long as I get a cool story with good art (subjective I know) I'm happy

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:
    @punyparker said:
    @roaris87 said:

I never said it was bad.

I got you, I get the same feeling from some other Secret Wars tie ins too, but there seem to be a few dropping hints about what's coming. I took the ending as we may see more of the Parker family, I forget the phrasing but it was something along the lines of we'll be seeing them again. I'm still somewhat new to comic books, so a lot of these changes are cool to me (I STILL don't get the hate for the new Thor). As long as I get a cool story with good art (subjective I know) I'm happy

Exactly.

I think Marvel will play a wait and see approach. Marvel like to react a lot to what DC does and vice versa, and DC are about to launch a 12 issue maxi-series with a married Lois and Clark with a kid who inhabit the current mainstream DC universe.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @punyparker said:
    @roaris87 said:

I never said it was bad.

Elements from everything in Secret Wars are important, that's been said time and time again.

"Everything is important!!"

Yeah......sure.

@roaris87 said:

You're new, you say......Want advice, on what to read from the past, to understand the true meaning of quality?...Spider-Man wise, i mean.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I mean, I know the character and his history and such. I should say I only recently started keeping up with monthly issues.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:

@punyparker: I mean, I know the character and his history and such. I should say I only recently started keeping up with monthly issues.

So pre BND, and Ultimate, you know that all?

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:

So pre BND, and Ultimate, you know that all?

I know the jist, but if there's any arcs in particular you'd recommend I'd check them out

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't finished this little series yet. Read the first issue and really liked it much to my surprise. I agree with what you're saying though.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Peter Parker as a billionaire sounds intriguing, but it's not enough to keep me on the book. There haven't been enough stories in Slott's run that I genuinely really enjoyed or loved; they were too far and in between. To clarify I thought that Spider-Island while flawed was fun, riveting story with some great blockbuster action and Superior-Spider-man was a truly seminal run despite the fact it did not have it's leading protagonist. Spider-verse...no words to describe.. it was freaking amazing... at least for me lol. Other than that though I always find that I physically grimace and wince for the most part because I do not like Spider-man's supporting cast and sometimes I disagree with the writer's interpretation of the character.

After Renew Your Vows I'm gonna take a break from spider-man and see what they do with character . If it's good and receives overall good review from spider-man fans i'll definitely put it back on my pull list lol

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm confused, shouldn't you people be happy about this? I mean, RYV's ending implied that it wasn't the end of "Peter Parker, Family man". They said that their story ends with "to be continued", which implies that Marvel does indeed have plans for this concept somewhere down the word but it mostly depends on how well RYV did in sales. My guess, they're going with DC's approach. There's New 52 Superman who's still dating Wonder Woman, and then there's the Lois and Clark series that tells the story of pre-Flashpoint Superman and him becoming a father. I expect Marvel to announce in a few months a series that focues on Spider-Man as a family man. That way, the main continuity still has its precious single spider-man running parker industries or whatever and the other series focuses on another version of spidey in similar way they're doing spider-gwen.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shut up.You.......irrelevant person.

@roaris87 said:

I know the jist, but if there's any arcs in particular you'd recommend I'd check them out

No, just if you know this, you certainly understand how can this character be properly written, that was my point.

I haven't finished this little series yet. Read the first issue and really liked it much to my surprise. I agree with what you're saying though.

Like i said to another person, this is not particularly about the series.....

@batcat91 said:

Superior-Spider-man was a truly seminal run despite the fact it did not have it's leading protagonist.

That, alone, says a lot about someone's capability to write a character.....

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zarius

@batcat91 said:

@punyparker: Superior-Spider-man was a truly seminal run despite the fact it did not have it's leading protagonist.

Superior was good only for it's tie-in books like Team-Up and Superior Foes, the main book was your typical Slott trainwreck

Spider-Verse wasn't anything special either.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker Neigh

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: ....I hope Stark an MJ fall in love

Bendis wouldn't kid around with that either, I mean, Kitty is already Mrs. Star-Lord isn't she?

Then again, Bendis is a big Peter/MJ fan so he might have enough respect for them to keep Tony and MJ at arm's length.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PunyParker

@zarius: She's kidding.She likes to tease me.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By william300

I'm not reading Spider-Man when Marvel relaunches, Slott is still writing and there still refusing to undo One More Day.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want be happy till, Slott is off the book and Peter Parker is back.

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Catty_Spider1

@punyparker: they are back too

So One is no longer a villan and the other is no longer an Iron groupie.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zarius

@william300 said:

I'm not reading Spider-Man when Marvel relaunches, Slott is still writing and there still refusing to undo One More Day.

I won't even storytime the relaunch on 4chan, like I've been doing for the book since 2012 (I'll get the RYV trade and that's it), I mainly stick to the daily strip since Peter and MJ are still married there

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PunyParker

I don't get it, how is Felicia not a villian, and MJ not with Iron Man?....

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catty_spider1 said:

I don't get it, how is Felicia not a villian, and MJ not with Iron Man?....

He was agreeing with Animehunter's bit about wanting the Peter we know back, but added in that he wanted Felicia and MJ back as they were and not who they're going to become

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: This 100%

I don't like what has been happening lately to put it mildly.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catty_spider1: Peter Stark is around not Peter Parker, Felicia and MJ are not back either. They both been gone for a while now, there evil and crude clones are what we've been seeing.

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Catty_Spider1

@theheaven_guardian10:

Agreed.

The sad thing is, I can't even say oh well even if I don't like these new clones at least the story is really good even if it's not what I like. I can't even say that :(

The annoying thing about Peter Stark (which Slott and Bendis etc seem to have forgotten) is it misses the entire point of Tony Stark and Peter Parker as 2 different type of characters.

Peter is meant to be the Everyman hero while Tony is meant to be the Arsehole egotist who develops a conscience.

It's also how they have decided Felicia because she is called the Black Cat is really Cat Woman. No she is not. Nor is MJ just some airhead bowled over by the first Millionaire crossing her path.

Jesus is it to hard to see some respect shown these characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.