Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Martial arts training

Shadowsnake89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Shadowsnake89

Is Shang Chi really the best Martial Arts teacher for him? I would have said Ironfist since their already good friends. I personally think Batroc would be a good choice even though they have no real history together, his fighting style seems more suited to Spider-man's powers.

And have Shang Chi and Spider-man even associated before Shadowland?

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

When did they start training together?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@JoeRiccadonna: Recently. Amazing Spiderman #664

No Caption Provided
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Icon

I think Shang Chi is a great teacher. While Iron Fist is great too, I don't think he would be any better. Plus Madame Webb requested Shang Chi and she knows what she's doing. ;]

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Duo_forbidden

By mixing his own fighting style and adding real martial arts from Shang Chi, he's creating a new way. It will be call the way of the spider.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Icon

@Duo_forbidden said:

By mixing his own fighting style and adding real martial arts from Shang Chi, he's creating a new way. It will be call the way of the spider.

Exactly. The idea was to give him an edge to make up for his currently disabled spider-sense.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Timandm
    @Shadowsnake89: Yes, Iron-fist is his friend, or perhaps we should say a 'closer' friend, but being someone's friend does not make someone a better instructor...

Also, I'm not positive about this, but I do believe Shang Chi is possibly a better martial artists, although they are both masters.  Shang She depends entirely on his skills as a martial artist.  Iron-fist depends on his skills as a martial artist but also the power of the Iron-fist (the magic of Kun-la and what have you.)

Also, as Icon said, Madame Web recommended Shang Shi (or talked Shang Shi into it) so she had to have her reasons for it.
    UltraHeroix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By UltraHeroix

I think this is a cool idea in general. I always thought Spidey was a good fighter but this definitely makes him better and more effective fighter. Would love to see how he goes against his regular foes with some new moves.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spidey 15
    @Timandm said:
    @Shadowsnake89: Yes, Iron-fist is his friend, or perhaps we should say a 'closer' friend, but being someone's friend does not make someone a better instructor...  Also, I'm not positive about this, but I do believe Shang Chi is possibly a better martial artists, although they are both masters.  Shang She depends entirely on his skills as a martial artist.  Iron-fist depends on his skills as a martial artist but also the power of the Iron-fist (the magic of Kun-la and what have you.)  Also, as Icon said, Madame Web recommended Shang Shi (or talked Shang Shi into it) so she had to have her reasons for it.
    Shang Chi uses chi as well and he is no better fighter than Iron Fist. Actually Danny is the far better one. Just because he sometimes uses chi, it does not mean he has no feats where he has shown amazing skill, far superior to what Shang has done. It's like saying that wolverine is not as good as Shang because most of the time he relies on his claws and HF, even though Logan has already stomped Shang Chi in an H2H fight. 

:)
    Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Warlord

its about time spidey learned some real martial arts! 
    i still never understood how he could take down all those villians (a lot with special ops, military, or martial arts training) 
    with no real training himself. yah i get the spider sense and enhanced flexibility/agility/strength but come on he has fought some hardcore baddies with years of experience and training but takes'em down like nuthin? 
    there is somethin amiss...
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @Shadowsnake89 said:
    And have Shang Chi and Spider-man even associated before Shadowland?
    Yeah, they have a pretty long history together. I haven't read it all but know it's relevant.

I won't say Iron Fist would be better on the basis if Iron Man 2.0 and the upcoming teased Marvel event are showing anything, Iron Fist is a bit busy as well
    possibly in a Daredevil/Shadowland type scenario for the next year, whereas it seemed to be the intent to have whoever was training Peter cross into an
    important role in Spider-Island.
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spidey 15
    @Warlord: His powers are just too good. Even without training, his speed, agility strength and spider-sense are more than enough to handle and beat most of the villains he faces. Actually the question is how some of these guys can even hold their own against him. And the reason is because he holds back. Yeah, this is how good spidey's powers are. 
    If you need me to post scans of what his powers let him to do, let me know. 
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By mewmdude77
    @spidey 15 said:
    @Warlord: His powers are just too good. Even without training, his speed, agility strength and spider-sense are more than enough to handle and beat most of the villains he faces. Actually the question is how some of these guys can even hold their own against him. And the reason is because he holds back. Yeah, this is how good spidey's powers are. If you need me to post scans of what his powers let him to do, let me know. :)
    the thing you need to remember is when he actually has his Spider sense( he doesn't have it right now), he relies heavily on it, and uses it to beat opponenets with spider powers. Without his Spider-sense, he gets beaten by people with spider powers like him, so he has to train in martial arts to get the edge on people who have spider powers like him (Spider Island is coming, so he'll need all the martial arts training he can get!!)
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spidey 15
    @mewmdude77: I understand what you are saying and i'm aware of what's going on currently, but that was not the point i was trying to make. I was just explaining to Warlord, how spidey's powers were more than enough to handle even the best fighters. 
    Suiken_Seiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Suiken_Seiji

@Warlord

There's really a lot of explanations to such a question.  

Read a bit of Marc "Animal" MacYoung. This guy a licensed expert on fighting, he even gets pulled into courts for his "expertise" on combat when excessive use of violence has been used to determine if it was intentional lethal force or in the cause of self defense. I read a lot about him. In his book "Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons". He goes over the question you have. But I'll sum it up for you... 

Training and experience don't make you, it only helps to prepare you. It's all about how you use that training. For example... Marc has been with Green and Black Berets, Commandos, Black Belts, and have seen them get whooped on the street or in the bar. Training and experience only helps to prepare you for a scenario of encountering danger, not how to handle it and win every time. It really depends on the person, how well they can control them selves psychologically and physically. A lot of people get "tunnel vision", or adrenaline makes them rush in and make their moves ineffective, or they just forget or choose the wrong "answer" to a "problem".  

These are only several of the circumstances that can be listed off. But my initial point is... the possibility of why Spidey wins against more "skilled" opponents can be a number of many things, other than Spidey being physically superior. Because we've all seen instances where Spidey's reliance on his powers don' always pay off, against guys like Iron Fist, Daredevil, or Captain America

Suiken_Seiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Suiken_Seiji

And it's pretty interesting that Spidey is taking up some martial arts, he should be able to shine even more in close quarter combat.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By ReVamp

I just skipped most of the comments to say I dissaprove of the training. Spiderman should always be the underdog... Its his character. Not that this will change, but realistically speaking with MA training, he'd be able to own all of his rogue's gallery. They'll just ignore the training.  

About who I think is adequate, I think Shang - Chi, since they have kind of similar styles, and this gives shang - Chi a chance for spotlight. IF has already gone places.
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Calvin

Richard Dragon would be a great teacher. He taught Bruce Wayne a couple of things. unfortunately they are an universe apart.  

It's a great idea to have Peter training.  

No Caption Provided
    thejman16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thejman16

as shown by power man or something in the issue where spidey gets the key of the city from jameson but looter shows up, his chi can "predict" the opponents next move, so its prob like artificial spider-sense very good idea from slott, although i think peter should still get his spidey sense back

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Kairan1979
    pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pepperr
    @spidey 15 said:
    @Timandm said:
    @Shadowsnake89: Yes, Iron-fist is his friend, or perhaps we should say a 'closer' friend, but being someone's friend does not make someone a better instructor...  Also, I'm not positive about this, but I do believe Shang Chi is possibly a better martial artists, although they are both masters.  Shang She depends entirely on his skills as a martial artist.  Iron-fist depends on his skills as a martial artist but also the power of the Iron-fist (the magic of Kun-la and what have you.)  Also, as Icon said, Madame Web recommended Shang Shi (or talked Shang Shi into it) so she had to have her reasons for it.
    Shang Chi uses chi as well and he is no better fighter than Iron Fist. Actually Danny is the far better one. Just because he sometimes uses chi, it does not mean he has no feats where he has shown amazing skill, far superior to what Shang has done. It's like saying that wolverine is not as good as Shang because most of the time he relies on his claws and HF, even though Logan has already stomped Shang Chi in an H2H fight.  :)
    Actually, I've read many threads on the best H2H fighters in Marvel. Some don't even include IF, which saddens me but who am I to argue? In terms of pure skill, Shang Chi trumps Rand(Not that he's a better fighter). Many people say Cap is one of the best, but they don't take into account a lot of the more oriental based fighters, such as Cat, Fat Cobra, John Aman(Prince of Orphans), Mantis(she has just lived for a long time), etc.

I was very upset with the loss of his Spidey sense initially, but this is a great thing that has happened. Everyone on the battle board used to say that Spidey doesn't fully utilize his abilities or gets hit so much because he relies so heavily on his Spidey Sense. Now, he can compensate somewhat and rely on his skill in a fight. People always said he wasn't as good a fighter because of A,B,C, etc. but since this development, I think they have to reconsider. He should keep training with Shang on a consistent basis, and move on to different fighters just to mix it up(Shang will anticipate all his moves, and vice versa). I like No-Spidey-Sense Parker, it makes things more interesting.
    cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cdeoleo
    @Shadowsnake89: They first started training together in Free Comic Book Day issue of Spiderman
    DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm i was wondering did captain america trained spiderman in one of the comics? because i know shang chi was not the only one.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm i was wondering did captain america trained spiderman in one of the comics? because i know shang chi was not the only one.

He probably gave him a few tips at some point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.