Logan Lerman Is Getting Closer To Becoming Spider-Man

• 64 results
Posted by G-Man (29418 posts) - - Show Bio

We're stil waiting to hear what Sony has planned with the reboot of the Spider-Man franchise. One name that has been floating around with the new movie is Logan Lerman. Yesterday, HitFix reported that Lerman is currently Sony's top choice to play Peter Parker. A "source" told them Lerman is "almost 100% locked" but a contract hasn't been signed yet.

At eighteen, Lerman appears young enough to capture the look of Spider-Man in his high school days. When it was first announced that the movie would be rebooted, I wasn't completely thrilled. Since a lot of us comic book readers weren't too thrilled with the last movie, this could be best for the franchise. Lerman was last seen in Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. I haven't seen that movie but I would think Sony is going to make sure they make the perfect choice in casting the role. A lot will be riding on this movie. Spider-Man is huge franchise to hold and if the movie was a failure, that wouldn't be good for Sony or Marvel.

Lerman looks like he could be right for the role. My main concern is that the movie isn't made too kid friendly. I understand the reason they would want to gear this toward younger viewers but let's hope things aren't dumbed-down and the movie becomes unbearable to watch. I wonder what kind of work out plan Lerman will have to undergo if he gets the role. I think choosing him could work. We've definitely heard worse rumors than this. 

What do you think? Could Lerman work as Spider-Man? Do you think the movie will be toned down too much for us to enjoy?

Update:
Deadline New York says that Lerman will not be cast as Spider-Man. I know when ever information comes from a mysterious source, there's always reason to be skeptical (which is why this was filed under the rumor section). HitFix has had solid leads in the past (which is even mentioned in the Deadline New York article). Perhaps Sony is trying to squash the rumor so they can keep the speculation going until they're ready to make their own announcement.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jump_Start89 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure about this  he might do well, but i don't want them tone it down too much  :S
#2 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little curious if they will do any redesign work on the Spider-man uniform to make a little separation between the previous movies. Not that the other costume looked bad.

I think Lerman could be a really good choice for this.

I'm also curious if they will actually have the real Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy and not the fusion version of the two we got in the previous films.

#3 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio

A mysterious 'source', eh? We'll wait and see, I guess. I haven't seen any of his stuff so I can't really say anything other than he looks about 12.

#4 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Im really afraid its going to be toned down from the true spiderman. how old was toby when the first spiderman was made?
Lerman looks like hes too young for a complex story. I see him being kid friendly.

#5 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

He may be a good actor, but Logan looks more like a Spider-Boy than a Spider-Man. 
I think that John Krasinski could be a good Spidey, he looks a little like Peter Parker.
#6 Posted by grimreaper1980 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

better him than effron
#7 Posted by RomaTotti10 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Kid Spider-Man

#8 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Can they just for once in their lives in the history of Spider-Man get a person that looks like a man and not a small girl.

#9 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18683 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good choice :]

#10 Posted by KRYPTON (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure that he could be Spider-man, but who is going to be Harry Osborn and Mary Jane?

#11 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34404 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the worst choice I've seen.

#12 Posted by BaronVonDredd (250 posts) - - Show Bio

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#13 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

"Lerman looks like he could be right for the role. My main concern is that the movie isn't made too kid friendly." Weren't the last Spider-Man films targeted directly at kids?

#14 Posted by Riezner (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing a young Spidey again.

#15 Posted by Penance333 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh...I liked Maguire Spidey...but whatever.

#16 Posted by Tmul501 (595 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this movie could be cool. I like this kid, and I think he'd do a good job as peter parker. Especially in light of all the zack effron rumors. I would really like to see this movie be based on the ultimate spider-man comics or the spectacular spider-man cartoon, but I do agree that these movies should not be made just for the kids. I'm stoked to see what direction this movies goes in.

#17 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

He has the look... And I guess Peter Parker was only 15 when he was bitten by the spider.  So technically age shouldn't be an issue.  

#18 Posted by austen (27 posts) - - Show Bio

after seeing Lerman in other movies (not PJO that was really a kids' movie and and columbus ripped the heart out of the series) like 310 to Yuma as Bale's son, Meet Bill with Aaron Eckhart, My One and Only with Renee Zellweger, Jack and Bobby, and even that insipid Gamer with Butler, he looks to have a good  acting range for a teen actor. So I'll give it a shot. At least he's not associated with the Twi crowd and Disney. Best thing about the casting: no Zac Efron for spidey and no Vanessa Hudgens for Mary Jane.  

Meet Bill shows he can do the zingy one-liners probably better than Maguire. 

He actually is age appropriate esp if they go USM. That photo of him in Comic Vine is a bit dated like from 2007.   

am waiting for more news on the tone of the script as it's being done by James Vanderbilt who wrote Zodiac.

#19 Posted by ManuelPrez (131 posts) - - Show Bio

well people remember they are using the ultimate storyline (thats what we think so far) so Parker is a kid, I hope the kid can act

#20 Posted by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio
@austen said:

" after seeing Lerman in other movies (not PJO that was really a kids' movie and and columbus ripped the heart out of the series) like 310 to Yuma as Bale's son, Meet Bill with Aaron Eckhart, My One and Only with Renee Zellweger, Jack and Bobby, and even that insipid Gamer with Butler, he looks to have a good  acting range for a teen actor. So I'll give it a shot. At least he's not associated with the Twi crowd and Disney. Best thing about the casting: no Zac Efron for spidey and no Vanessa Hudgens for Mary Jane.    Meet Bill shows he can do the zingy one-liners probably better than Maguire. He actually is age appropriate esp if they go USM. That photo of him in Comic Vine is a bit dated like from 2007.    am waiting for more news on the tone of the script as it's being done by James Vanderbilt who wrote Zodiac. "

Well, I know that you are looking for the Vanderbilt draft. Well please taint your soul with the Raimi draft:
 http://www.mypdfscripts.com/treatments/spider-m4n-treatment
It's terrible.
#21 Edited by m_man360 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree though, even if this guy doesn’t look like a man. He still beats the effron and Paterson and lautner “gay up the ass” crowd of people who have been tossed around. Still, I would have loved to see Joseph-Gordon-Levitt in the role or even Emile Hirsch.

I am also hoping that we won’t see “Pussy spider-man”....”boo hoo- Sorry Aunt May couldn’t afford rent,boo hoo bwa boo”. I want to see a tough grown up man with balls. And they should twist it a little and make it seem that Uncle Ben was doing a cocaine deal when he got shot. Now that will make a kick-ass Spider-Man film.

#22 Posted by VernFonk (10 posts) - - Show Bio

zac efron?

#23 Posted by The Wind-Stalker (64 posts) - - Show Bio

At first i thought this was stupid that they was rebooting the movie but i think this might work i'm looking forward to it

#24 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio
Any thing and I mean anything is better than Zack Effron
#25 Posted by Violet-Eyed Dragon (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

he's a little young, but itll work.  but why do all the heroes have to be shockingly good looking.  i mean i get athletic, but perfectly groomed, symmetrical, stand-out in a crowd handsome.  i mean super good looks isnt one of his powers is it?

also, with such a young actor the next spiderman could be PG instead of PG-13  

#26 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, Marvel / Disney needs to wrangle the Spiderman property and subsequent movie rights away from Sony. It's time for Marvel to reboot Spiderman, if anyone is to. 

This whole Sony reboot, casting and not, doesn't look like a good thing for the future of the franchise, and this may be the evidence we need to see where Sony wants to take it. 

Still, the mystery source thing is never a good sign to hold on to for too long, either.

#27 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Learman has the look for a High School/Ultimate Peter Parker. He could come off as sort of dorky and out of place, and as we saw in Percy Jackson, he can do fight scenes that would be required after becoming a superhero. I just hope that he is able to pull off the humor that comes with being Spider-Man. I believe that main thing the last film was lacking was Spider-Man's sense of humor.

#28 Posted by ninjadude853 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

anyones better than zac effron

#29 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Penance333 said:
"

Eh...I liked Maguire Spidey...but whatever.

"
f*@# you. lol 

The should get boon from lost to play spidey.
#30 Posted by vuki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see him as Spiderman. With today's technology 3D webswinging will probably look phenomenal, plus the kid (although he's 18, not really a child) can act. Was great in Gamer...

#31 Posted by Rabbit Tots (477 posts) - - Show Bio

He better act wisecracking, upbeat that Peter is suppose to portray.
#32 Posted by R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. (25 posts) - - Show Bio

why do they pick all these good looking guys when peter is a nerd
#33 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes good, I liked his acting and remember guys :

"My name is Peter Parker and I've been Spider-man since I was 15" 

So this guy looks just fine..  Hes eighteen he looks alright, in between, and I saw Persey Jackson and he was great IMO
#34 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio
@R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. said:
" why do they pick all these good looking guys when peter is a nerd "
What nerds are automatically ugly? What kind of gibberish is that?  

Lets see these according to YOU "ugly nerdy women":

BOOM!

#35 Posted by BryanKeith68 (1 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123: I would agree with you, there. My impression is "Ultimate Spider-man". It almost looks like they are going back in time rather than trying to follow any kind of comic continuity.
#36 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio
@BryanKeith68:  Im right with you buddy.
#37 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@mimschkin said:
" A mysterious 'source', eh? We'll wait and see, I guess. I haven't seen any of his stuff so I can't really say anything other than he looks about 12. "
as in a 52 year-old man who lives in his mother's basement?
#38 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio
@grimreaper1980 said:
"better him than effron "

Yeah, way better that effron.
#39 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope that Shocker is in the film. that's something the other series lacked. I mean He is Peter's basic enemy and a good way to start the series over. 
-I would also like to see Norman in it, but not as the Goblin yet.

#40 Posted by IrishX (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

Not excited about a reboot but the kid looks alright. I'll probably be happy just 'cause it's more Spidey on the big screen.
#41 Posted by buns134 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

better than efron and he was good in Gamer and that western i nnow can not think of the name. i want a smart and wise ass joker Spidey with web shooters btw
#42 Posted by SuperGamera (565 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"He has the look... And I guess Peter Parker was only 15 when he was bitten by the spider.  So technically age shouldn't be an issue.   "

i think he was older than 15 he was almost college age i think
#43 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe some armpit webs ?

#44 Posted by Grim (2075 posts) - - Show Bio
does anybody else think Parker looks like Dane Cook here?

#45 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent. 

I hope he gets it. I just hope its not the Ultimate universe version.

#46 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe idk ugh!!!

#47 Posted by gordocomics (113 posts) - - Show Bio

i think that if they go with the ultimate peter parker theme they should do anton yelchin. hes just perfect for the part.

#48 Posted by TheHT (72 posts) - - Show Bio
@m_man360 said:
" "Lerman looks like he could be right for the role. My main concern is that the movie isn't made too kid friendly." Weren't the last Spider-Man films targeted directly at kids? "
spider-man 2 sure didn't seem like it.

this kid's got the look, but can he pull of the attitude? maguire failed miserably at that.
#49 Posted by sora_thekey (8107 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt: I don't know about MJ but Gwen...

I think this choice is the most appealing to me... Of course I haven't seen Percy Jackson yet so....
I am hoping that Sony doesn't do the same mistake twice with this movie... 
They better be serious on what to show on the big screen!
#50 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

I really do hope this gets it. He looks a ton better than any other person i have seen for spiderman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.