Jamie Foxx Possible as Villain in 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'

• 111 results
Posted by G-Man (36818 posts) - - Show Bio

It might seem early to start discussing villains for the next Spider-Man movie which won't be released until May 2, 2014 but the first will be released on Blu-ray November 9. If you haven't heard already, there's been a rumor about Jamie Foxx joining the cast as Electro (Foxx even Tweeted, "Dressed up as Electro for Halloween last night. Costume fits well."

Later director Marc Webb, when speaking to press about the Blu-ray/DVD release of The Amazing Spider-Man replied when asked if Foxx would be in the sequel, "I think Jamie Foxx is electrifying! I think Jamie Foxx is one of the best actors around today. He's such a great actor and he's a really brilliant guy. I would love to work with him and you'll be hearing more on that shortly, I'm sure."

This would mark the first time Electro appeared on the big screen. As great a villain he is, would he have enough to be the only one in the sequel or would he play a minor role. Casting Foxx as Electro would suggest he would have more screen time rather than simply having a smaller role.

Webb hinted at other characters that could appear as well.

I like Electro. I'm fascinated by Norman Osborn and the different inflections of him. And Harry. Mary Jane and Gwen are always interesting to me.
== TEASER ==

There are the obvious connections of Osborn from the first film. If we are going to be introduced to many new characters into this round of films, hopefully they won't clutter up the story as often occurs in comic book movies. We already know that Shailene Woodley has been cast as Mary Jane. It could be possible that Electro would be the main villain with Osborn slowly building up his presence for the Green Goblin to appear in the third movie.

I just want to know if Electro appears, will he have his classic mask?

#1 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be okay with this casting.

#2 Edited by Lykida (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Though I always found Electro quite annoying, I like the idea. And I imagine Jamie Foxx will be a great villain!

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33974 posts) - - Show Bio

Foxx is a great actor but I'm not sure of Electro

#4 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Casting is ok, but I dunno how Electro would do on the big screen. I figured they'd go with Green Goblin, Rhino, Scorpion, Kraven, or (my favorite) Mysterio.

#5 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer Mysterio for the film. I am slightly concerned that the special effects won't work, electricity rarely seems to go well.

#6 Posted by SlamAdams (301 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing about the classic mask is that at one point I thought it was awful and now I kind of like it. It is kind of like when you saw Flash's rogues right before the reboot. They were incredibly old-fashioned looking pulpy villains, but their personalities were not nearly as corny as their aliases.

That said I like the burn mark he's sporting lately too.

#7 Posted by Planewalker (326 posts) - - Show Bio

Never really saw Electro as a major threat to Spidey

#8 Posted by kingdomenic (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely terrible idea. Both the character and casting.

#9 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Electro is a great villain because he's so simple. All he cares about is money until he gets his powers, but after trying to make some fast cash he runs into Spider-Man and all he cares about is respect. So he's got these abilities that should be able to make him rich without breaking the law, and he just doesn't care. And Foxx is a good actor. I'd trust him to be sufficiently mercenary and villainous.

#10 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not at all intrigued or in awe of Jamie Foxx as Electro. I'd prefer someone like Mysterio. Perhaps even Kraven the Hunter.

#11 Edited by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven would fit this movie style perfect.

Still hoping we see Rhino one day!

#12 Posted by Lvenger (20782 posts) - - Show Bio

Just what I wanted. Now if they can link his powers to finding a clean source of energy and make him a really powerful threat then that'll be good news!

#13 Posted by G-Man (36818 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember Electro was also the big baddie that caused the Raft to go down and all the villains escaping, leading to the creation of the New Avengers.

#14 Posted by hortrorog (16 posts) - - Show Bio

When did Electro become black? 0o

#15 Posted by 3rdrocket (16 posts) - - Show Bio

@hortrorog: This.

I always hate when the swap races for characters in movies. Im sure they can do a great job but its just jarring to me and doesnt feel the same when I watch it.

#16 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be fun. I'm happy to see them choosing different Spidey villains for these new films. Jamie Foxx would be a fine choice, he's a good actor. Other than that I don't have a really strong opinion on this.

#17 Posted by BushidoBlack (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Fine with me. Jaime Foxx is a really good actor. Probably the best actor out of the candidates to play Electro.

#18 Posted by kagato (247 posts) - - Show Bio

Works for me, Foxx is a fantastic actor and im sure he could bring an interesting take on one of Spideys longest running bad guys. I dont care that they are switching his colour, Sam Jackson has been an incredible Nick Fury so i have no reason to believe Foxx will be anything less.

#19 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2369 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm......indifferent to this news. Not to fond of Electro being a villain or Foxx playing him. Was really hoping for Rhino, Kraven, or at least a Green Goblin done right.

#20 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Foxx but he is too good to be Electro.

#21 Posted by NightFang (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

What I wan't to know is well he be bisexual in the movie?

#22 Posted by k4tzm4n (49299 posts) - - Show Bio

Foxx is a solid actor so this could be promising. It makes me wonder who we saw during ASM's mid-credit scene, though. I know people enjoy saying that was Norman, but interviews have confirmed it isn't.

Staff
#23 Edited by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio

if they are doing the gwen stacy death then osborn has to be the one to do it.

#24 Posted by MrMazz (1303 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully they don't use the comics costume because Electro classic looks like a bad 70's character.

Jamie Foxx might be able to add a certain vulnerability or likability to Max Dillon. Was really hoping they would do Kraven the Hunter though.

#25 Posted by Strider92 (16737 posts) - - Show Bio

While not the villain I would have chosen I think Electro could be good as long as he doesn't have his classic costume and they base him on the Ultimate version. Normal street clothes would suffice.

#26 Posted by VeganDiet (1087 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so happy with this news.

#27 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

@kagato said:

Works for me, Foxx is a fantastic actor and im sure he could bring an interesting take on one of Spideys longest running bad guys. I dont care that they are switching his colour, Sam Jackson has been an incredible Nick Fury so i have no reason to believe Foxx will be anything less.

Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe was actually based off of Sam Jackson..

But I don't think I like this idea. I think Electro being the villain in the first film would have been better. Because I kind of wanted to see Spidey against a criminal, you know, as an actual crime fighter. Now everything is going to have to be tied to oscorp, and I just don't like how they're going to do this well.

Kraven/Mysterio is what I was hoping for. Kraven's easy to wwrite too, he sees giant lizards were in NY, and planned to go hunt them, then Spider-Man cured it so he decided to go hunt Spider-Man instead.

Mysterio just because, I think he could work really well on screen.

#28 Posted by Trodorne (2592 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys remember when Donald Glover jokingly retweeted that yeah maybe I should play spider-man, and everyone across the internet went nuts saying yeah lets make him spider-man. well this is the EXACT same thing. I did not think history repeating itself would be so soon.

#29 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1536 posts) - - Show Bio

NO

#30 Posted by riiiiiiiight (98 posts) - - Show Bio

KRAVEN. Why has he never been in a Spider Man film? It'd be so badass.

#31 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Why Electro? Surely Spider-Man has more interesting villains than this...

#32 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see Jamie Foxx as a villain! I think he would make a better Hobie Brown/Prowler though. Id rather see the Jackal as a villain since Gwen Stacy is involved in this new trilogy.

#33 Posted by sora_thekey (8180 posts) - - Show Bio

Electro is not exactly a bad-ass when it comes to villains but what if he is a hitman to a Kingpin-type story. Maybe not Fisk but Toombstone, Silvermane or Hammerhead... The same way that it played out in the Spectacular Spider-Man animeted series.

#34 Posted by ravisher (694 posts) - - Show Bio

every black guy got electric powers

thats why i guess

#35 Posted by blastaar (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravisher said:

thats why i guess

lol I know right? Like Static Shock.

I knew Electro would be in the sequel because at the ending of Amazing Spider Man you see lightning. No surprise there for me. Casting choice was a surprise, but a pleasant one at that. Jamie Foxx is a terrific actor.

#36 Posted by Weapon-Alpha (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Jamie would do better as Tombstone or something like that

#37 Posted by TheThe (1746 posts) - - Show Bio

What a surprise.I didnt know Jamie Foxx was interested in such a role. He's a good actor but i cant picture him in a comic book adaptation. Electro is not exactly a major/flawless character but it can work with some adjustments.

#38 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow the closet racists are online today LOL. I kid.

Anyways who cares if they swap Electro's race? Plus how many major black villains does Spiderman have? Calypso hardly counts because she's connected at the hip with Kraven The Hunter.

Me personally I wanted Shocker so then that way they could build to Tombstone. Rhinos is so boring & freaking stupid. He's just a big dude in a Rhino suit that headbutts stuff & has superhuman strength. Rhino is Spider-Man's version of Juggernaut he's freaking boring.

I also wanted to see Jackal or Mysterio. Because Jackal needs to be done & he'd be to bada$$. Not the new school jackal but back when he had the leather costume. Mysterio is so simple that would be easy to explain & do.

But I've always wanted to see Electro, Shocker, Scorpion & possibly Kaine. Electro is very underrated but capable of giving Spidey a run for his money. Shocker is easy to build to a bigger villain. Scorpion would be cool because his history with JJJ & Osborn plus he can go toe-to-toe with Spider-Man. Kaine is a beast has that Mark Of Kaine & awesome costume & weaponry & abilities. He'd be cool as heck to see.

#39 Posted by mtbmonkey (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Electro can be quite psychotic. I'm curious to see how they develop this in Spiderman 2. Will they down play Electro's character to compliment Jamie Foxx's comedic style? I'm not saying that Jamie Foxx can't play Electro. I can't think of him playing a psychotic. Maybe he can. It should be interesting. I'm there.

#40 Posted by HombreMan (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see Terry Crews as Tombstone or Jet Li as Mister Negative.

#41 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey said:

Electro is not exactly a bad-ass when it comes to villains but what if he is a hitman to a Kingpin-type story. Maybe not Fisk but Toombstone, Silvermane or Hammerhead... The same way that it played out in the Spectacular Spider-Man animeted series.

If they're going hitman route with Tombstone or Hammerhead that'd mean the Maggia would be involved. But if they wanted a hired gun because Spidey wipes them out hire Shocker. It's not rocket science to do his costume in RL.

Just give him some high-grade bullet-proof armor & gauntlets that cause vibrations.

#42 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#43 Edited by Curls (1 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's Electro I'd like to see him like in spectacular spiderman, but since it's Jamie Foxx I'd like hime to be Shocker instead!

#44 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Had my suspicions that Electro would be in the next one - should be great. :D

#45 Posted by Shieldbearer (84 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Jamie Foxx will make Electro more popular. This is a good thing.

#46 Posted by Pokeysteve (8425 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#47 Edited by Spideycap (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@blastaar said:

@ravisher said:

thats why i guess

lol I know right? Like Static Shock.

I knew Electro would be in the sequel because at the ending of Amazing Spider Man you see lightning. No surprise there for me. Casting choice was a surprise, but a pleasant one at that. Jamie Foxx is a terrific actor.

I also think Jamie Foxx is a good actor and could make Electro(not the coolest villain ever) a little more intriguing. That being said, I really do wish it was a cooler villain like Jackal, Chameleon, Kraven, Vulture...hell almost anyone in the main rogue's gallery is more interesting that Electro to me. Oh and you 2 got me thinking...Static Shock movie! That would be a cool movie.

#48 Posted by Vincie_Pooh (109 posts) - - Show Bio

This news out & after a couple of hours later I saw Botty Call with Jamie Foxx. LOL

#49 Posted by Inverno (13315 posts) - - Show Bio

I am cool with changing Electro's ethnicity so long as the actor does a good job.

#50 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7408 posts) - - Show Bio

ummmm okay? thats random

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.