Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

ive come to like spiderman alot!

• 50 results
    lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lifeofvibe

I've barely started reading spiderman (the trades) or doing anything to do with spiderman in general basically my first exposer and I didn't spiderman was so badass! superior spiderman is awesome why all the fuss?

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people love Peter and they're sad that he's been gone for over a year. Not to mention some people have issues with how ignorant people are over the change in attitude. That being said I love SSM as well. Breath of fresh air.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe: Have you read any comics with Parker Spider-man (I have no problem with SpOck by the way)?

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lifeofvibe

@spinningbirdcake: peter seems a bit to goody goody for my taste and red blue? Never heard of a red blue spider red but not blue so that costume needed to be changed

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lifeofvibe

@dctv3363: no none ive never even watched watched the movies or show

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Welp this thread isn't going to end well. You're better off never mentioning Superior or Slott on the vine.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marionettegeist

@lifeofvibe: You have to realize SpOck and Peter are two very different characters and when any character gets changed that much, it's going to appeal to different groups and may cause friction with those who like the original's personality more. I kind of think it's ridiculous to complain about it too much in this case though, as it's obviously temporary. It's more like a single chapter in Spider-Man's story than a permanent change.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: @dctv3363: hmmmmm well peppey NO! And DC I see were there coming from but superior from what I can tell were better off without the goody goody peter for a long while

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: @dctv3363: hmmmmm well peppey NO! And DC I see were there coming from but superior from what I can tell were better off without the goody goody peter for a long while

I'm not saying I really care one way or the other but that's your opinion. Other people don't feel the same way. So in a nutshell that's what the fuss is over.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: sure it is and my names jason superior spiderman FTW

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By all means believe that anti-social murderer who's setting himself for failure, is a much better replacement than the original peter. I can't be bothered to speak people know nothing about spider-man

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lifeofvibe

@frogdog: then why are you speaking hmmmmmmmmm?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By HumanRocket

Ohhhhhhhhh...you were doing so well but u had to mention spock. I'm putting my parachute before this threads starts to burn. See ya.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kidchipotle

@frogdog said:

@lifeofvibe said:

@frogdog said:

@lifeofvibe said:

By all means believe that anti-social murderer who's setting himself for failure, is a much better replacement than the original peter. I can't be bothered to speak people know nothing about spider-man

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: its not that people dont want others reading superior it comes down to the silly reasons they seem to give... red and blue spider? okay well go read scarlet since hes red n black like a black widow hur derp!!!~~ iv'e said it before to those that want a darker spiderman why not try scarlet?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

You seriously havent read ANY Spider-Man in your life......you mentioned that,so i forgive you.

See people?....Superior is overtaking.Great.Awesome.

Go Go Sony,make Parker fans proud.!!....(cant believe i said that)

Avatar image for theblackpeterparker
    TheBlackPeterParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then you might like Kaine alot.....

JMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe Superior Spider-Man is Doctor Octopus, a former Spider-Man villain who stole his body and pretty much TRIES to be Spider-Man. So he is not Spider-Man, but a Spider-Man villain in the suit.

With that being said, I don't think you can call yourself a "Spider-Man fan" or say that "Spider-Man is awesome" since like @dctv3363 said, this is just a chapter in Spider-Man's life.

You saying Peter is too "goody goody" is understandable if you never read a comic or watched a movie in your life, but still incorrect. IMO Spider-Man was one of the more tragic and relatable super hero stories of all time and I highly encourage you to read up on Peter Parker.

As far as the superior spider-man comic goes as a whole I can't comment on cuz I don't read it. I stopped reading after it got really rapey (Dock Ock trying to sleep with Mary Jane while ghost Peter watched.)

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SilverPool

Kaine is the REAL Superior Spiderman.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By cameron83

@lifeofvibe That's really good to hear! Spider-man is pretty awesome,and I will admit,Spock is also something that I like. People like and prefer Peter because he is the true Spider-Man,but I like Spock,too.

But Peter isn't really a "goody goody",he just recognizes the responsibilities of being a hero and that his powers bring. To those whom much is given,much is expected....or something like that. He recognizes that he's a symbol to the people and that he has to,above all,make the ethical decision. It's why he opposed Tony Stark during Civil War after he saw what he was doing. He realized that what was being done was atrocious. He is basically an embodiment of a hero.

But if you mess with the ones he loves (like Aunt May),make no mistake,he will f*ck you up. I mean,did you see what he did to Kingpin?

I wouldn't really call him a goody two-shoes :)

Plus he's a smart@ss

Bloxxeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Spider-Man is great. I love Peter but I love new Spider-Men. Kaine, Flash, Miles, and SpOck are badass and awesome! I hope Otto gets a cloned body of Peter and continues to have his own series!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I'm enjoying Superior even though I hate SpOck. How does this work you might ask? Ock is a villain. Now, before, forever. He is, well, this:

@frogdog said:

@lifeofvibe said:

I couldn't have put it better. But this is just another chapter in Peter's life. SpOck is a villain. You're SUPPOSED to hate him. That's why I like him. If you think he's doing a good job by brutally murdering people in the street and calling it justice...you probably thought Hitler and Stalin were great people.

I enjoy Superior, but I prefer Peter and cannot wait for his return. Bigger and better.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Yung ANcient One

I've barely started reading spiderman (the trades) or doing anything to do with spiderman in general basically my first exposer and I didn't spiderman was so badass! superior spiderman is awesome why all the fuss?

Which trades have you gotten to read thus far?

( +)

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter is a clever, witty, friendly guy who recognizes the weight of his responsibilities and constantly gets screwed over as a result, but manages to keep on making jokes and sticking to his beliefs despite the constant tragedy in both his personal life and his life as a hero.

Spock is a sociopathic murderer who is (poorly) impersonating Spider-Man for his own self preservation and to aggrandize his ego, which Slott attempts to warp into some sort of contrived psuedo-redemption story that, admittedly, has its high points, but fails on a conceptual level.

I hope you can find the intelligence necessary to recognize the issue here. I'm not attempting to criticize you for enjoying Superior, but rather to try and explain the backlash to someone who isn't familiar with Peter.

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Black_Arrow
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lifeofvibe

@imagineman16: peter? Peter? Peter? You mean that ghost that would rather save his own skin then save a little girl?

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imagineman16: peter? Peter? Peter? You mean that ghost that would rather save his own skin then save a little girl?

A) Contextually, that's not entirely what happened. You're simplifying a very complex situation to suit your needs. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if you actually missed the majority of the scene's complexity (that's not necessarily a shot at you, a lot of people did).

B) That scene WAS written by Slott, who, if you've been paying any attention, everyone agrees sort of screwed Peter over anyway. So maybe it shouldn't come as a shock that Peter was portrayed in a different light under his pen?

As to the contextual issues I mentioned in my first point, I could explain that myself, but I think it may be more effective if I let the author do it. This is a statement from Dan Slott about the incident involving the little girl:

"Read the scene again. He doesn't let a little girl die to save his own skin. He has a MOMENT when he considers it/rationalizes it-- and he regrets having that human moment. It's much in the same way a person might have to weigh whether to save a drowning person if that person might drag both them down as well. Would Peter have let that girl die? No. But does he consider it for one horrible moment? Yes. And Doc Ock was able to leverage that AND Peter's guilt like an Achilles' heel.

Peter's fight to regain his body isn't just selfish. It's a need to stop Ock from doing horrible things with all the powers of Spider-Man. That's part of Peter's responsibility too. If he didn't regain control of that body-- what else could Doc do? At that point in the story-- Doc has killed people AS Spider-Man (Massacre) and he's beaten people (like Screwball, Jester, and Vulture) within an inch of their lives. Peter is desperate! And he needs to win-- or Doc could go on to do who-knows-what! Also... If you read that moment, Peter DOESN'T believe that Doc CAN save that girl. He's weighing horrible choices in desperate times. And, in the end, he doesn't make the bad choice."

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imagineman16: that's a good way of justifying it that's all I'm going to say

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By frogdog

I hope you do realise that otto has used a 14 year old girl as a mindless henchman right? Or last year when he tried kill everyone on the planet, just because he didn't want to die alone.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe: lets not forget who put the girl in that state to begin with..

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Peter no complaining about SpOck just I prefer Peter and can't wait for him to return.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#39  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Typical lifeofvibe. LOL.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@lifeofvibe said:

I hope you do realise that otto has used a 14 year old girl as a mindless henchman right? Or last year when he tried kill everyone on the planet, just because he didn't want to die alone.

^^This, attempting to call Peter out for one poorly characterized, out-of-context mistake is one thing, but doing it try and justify a mass murdering psychopath "killing" a hero and stealing not just his body, but his life, with the selfish goal of trying to be "superior" to him, and then passing it off as some half-assed "redemption" story is another thing entirely.

Again, I don't necessarily even dislike Superior in terms of its execution. The storytelling has (for the most part) played out quite well and its an enjoyable read. The problem, for me, is on a conceptual level. The entire concept is flawed and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to mention the fanbase of Superior is made up of nothing but cynical fans. Way I see as soon as Superior is done and over with Superior fans should start looking for a new title possibly Loki and never return to the Spider-Man titles again.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By frogdog

Not to mention the fanbase of Superior is made up of nothing but cynical fans. Way I see as soon as Superior is done and over with Superior fans should start looking for a new title possibly Loki and never return to the Spider-Man titles again.

Agreed

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pot meet Kettle.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Superior 9 was complete character assassination. As for your question Peter is a charismatic figure that people find relatable, Funny entertaining. Otto in my honest opinion is no better than the villains he fights and is a total boring hypocrite with no redeeming qualities. Otto is no different than his father. There's also the fact every single character who knew Peter seems to be on stupid pills for the first 19 issues. If you enjoy it good for you but I want a Spider-Man that's heroic.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spinningbirdcake: peter seems a bit to goody goody for my taste and red blue? Never heard of a red blue spider red but not blue so that costume needed to be changed

goody goody? If u dont like that, you'd better read scarlet spider (Kaine) who kicked SpOck's ass and is literally the most badass spiderman around. He was originally a bad guy so try that for your taste. And as for the costume its red and black.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

@lifeofvibe said:

goody goody? If u dont like that, you'd better read scarlet spider (Kaine) who kicked SpOck's ass and is literally the most badass spiderman around. He was originally a bad guy so try that for your taste. And as for the costume its red and black.

THIS

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By Strider1992

@lifeofvibe: If you have never had any contact with comic-Peter then I can see why you like Superior. Even a die-hard Peter fan like me will admit SpOck has his momnets however there are quite a few inconsistencies that are quite plain to see.

Oh and Peter can be badass too!:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

and Kaine. Spider-man's clone is the king of Badass Spider-men:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Wolverine008

@strider92: Those were some pretty badass moments from Pete.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.