Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Issues about Andrew Garfield's Idea of Gay Spider-Man

Punkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Punkaiser

I know these articles are kinda old, but I found them the other day and I want to hear some peoples thoughts on them. I could easily give a paragraph long statement about why I wouldn't want Peter Parker to become gay, but I wanna hear the voice of Comic vine first.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/09/09/andrew-garfield-it-time-for-pansexual-spider-man/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/25/peter-parker-aka-spider-man-should-be-straight-and-white-says-co-creator-stan-lee/

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By amazingfantasy

There's really no reason to make Peter gay.

It's that simple.

I don't think it would be worth the time to go deeper, so I have no wish in saying more.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think he was just saying that for the publicity.

Of course people are entitled to their opinions, but the idea of changing a character with 50+ years of history under his belt just to satisfy "modern times" is pretty stupid if you ask me.

If Andrew Garfield wants to be gay, then he can be gay-- but Peter Parker just isn't gay, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't see why he'd try so hard to change that.

Punkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Punkaiser

Ahh, Thank you Good People. You have said what I wanted to express.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73a0365070
    deactivated-57e73a0365070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man shouldn't be gay

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

IMO Peter should not be gay. However I would not mind them making Peter Bi

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punkaiser: Glad to know. :)
    Also, I think Stan nailed it here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=121985

For me it's just common sense, really.

Darksideous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darksideous

NO WAY!

Punkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: A person's opinion is all what matters on this board. My opinion is that I wouldn't like him bisexual, either. Your opinion is that you wouldn't mind. That's ok. I will now explain my opinion, however. The reason why I wouldn't want to see him bi either, is because it goes all the way back to the initial establishment of a character ideal. I wouldn't want to see him changed to fit a different character mold, when everything I liked when I read Stan Lee's run Gerry Conway's, Roger Stern's, etc. will change. He was white, straight, about 5'10, and kinda skinny. I don't want the Spider-Man I know and love to become too changed. I know he will if he becomes bisexual. Sexuality is part of your relationships with other people. A person's sexuality will change other's views on that person. If my sisters' sexuality changed, I would view her differently. I love them and I would always treat them as fairly as I did before, because sexuality should never be reason to mistreat a person, but I will think of them differently. It's like when a girl likes a boy. I will think of them differently from when a boy likes a girl. I don't become biased or treat them any different, but I will think of them differently. The same goes for Peter Parker. I will still read and enjoy his stories, but I will not think of him as the same Peter Parker I used to know. Same thing with the current incarnation of Batwoman; I would find her a different character if she way bi or straight. If Peter becomes bi, then issues about political rights agendas will come about and I really don't care about that. I want to read Spider-Man enjoying life, but doing his best to enjoy it. He wants to be able to enjoy life with his family and friends, but has to put the responsibility of saving others first, due to the fact he has the power and ability to do it. Even with all the crap and repeated acts of villainy he has to deal with everyday. That's what Amazing Fantasy #15 started and I don't see any reason why it should end that way. They should get another character that's gay and popularize him/her if they want some kinda supporter. Heck, it worked with Spawn and Ultimate Nick Fury for race, why not do one for sexuality. If there was a gay Peter Parker from an alternate universe, I wouldn't mind. It's like when there was a lesbian Mary Jane Watson who was Spider-Woman for another universe. That was not the same 616 Mary Jane who affected everyone's lives in the main comic books. It was another person who just had the exact same DNA(excluding Spider genes) as her, but grew up in a different world(literally). Two completely different personalities and people. Therefore, the Peter Parker we all know and love should stay the Peter Parker we all know and love. Even, though Dan Slott is changing all that(I'm really flip flopped about his run. I like it and I don't like it.). If you have read all this so far, thank you for reading my opinion. Here's a picture:

Tell em' Peter
    Tell em' Peter

Punkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy: It is. Man, Stan Lee said what I posted earlier, but in a lot shorter fashion. I need to work on that.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By kcomicfan

@punkaiser: I respect your opinion and your argument is very well put.

Draviex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: Well, I'm glad that went smoothly. I was almost worried it was going to be a Youtube comment fight. Most of those guys never really know what they're talking about, anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.